Thread: Custom Units For STIM

Default Custom Units For STIM

So I've been a fan of Silven's mod since I first got my hands on it, it makes the game about 1,000 times more enjoyable. However, I still don't like the small vanilla unit rosters, but I don't like giving one faction a roster boost while the rest don't.

Before I found this mod I did use Champloo's Gold unit mod, which I thought was great, and balanced, and was wondering if it's compatible with this mod? Has anyone used both of these mods together, and if so what were the results?

Thanks in advance, and really glad to see that Post Emperor Edition STIM is up!

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Compatible mods?

I'll check Champloo's Gold unit mod tomorrow and see if I can shed some light on what I see for you.

In the meantime I'm also very curious to hear what others have experimented with and found to work out successfully?

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Checked out Champloo's Gold Unit Mod, and the short answer is no, it would not be balanced with STIM.

His upload on the Steam Workshop is currently out of date right now as well, so it wouldn't even work with vanilla EE anyway. Once its updated though, I couldn't immediately see anything that would prevent it from being compatible with STIM though. It would most likely run alongside STIM, but unit stats, recruitment costs, upkeep costs, unlock orders, etc would not be balanced with STIM as I suspected.

Thanks for the quick reply, and right from the creator's mouth too.

Well, looks like I'll have to wait until your STEP is done for expanded rosters.

Thanks Silven.

Silven, one thing to consider is that even a handful of units added to a faction can have a big impact on making that faction unique and fun to play -- so rather than slowly adding a slew of units to one faction at a time, you might consider starting by adding a smaller number of units (say, 2-5) to each playable faction, and then gradually deepening the rosters. Using a mod like Champloo's as the basis might really help speed the process as well (for example, he already has some very slick unit cards created which fit perfectly into the UI -- or, at least they did before the recent color changes, hopefully he's updated).
    Last edited by cherryfunk; September 29, 2014 at 05:55 PM.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Sounds like interest for the continued work of STEP is picking up again. I had thought desire for its continued development died several months ago, so I've only cared to make sure what has already been completed was updated and working with current releases.

Maybe I should consider making more new units again.... I'll say this much, even though adapting STIM to work with the ENTIRELY new building chain system was a complete pain in the A; the new system is indeed better than the old. Making new custom units and planning their unlock orders would be easier now with the new buildings than it was before with the old buildings.

Who else would like to see more new custom units for the rest of the cultures? This would include Greeks, Romans, Punics, and Easterns.

You can sign me up for that! I'm not a fan of how most other roster expansion mods are put together, since they strive for "balanced" rosters.

I'm more than down. I would prefer something more historical while also giving factions a wider access to units they could reasonably have had, or could be expected to have, even if it's at the final building level in a chain. Champloo did it right, I think, while Radious's units went into crazy territory with their number and redundancy.

I think that with unit add ons, more is not always more. But what I had seen with your barbarian pack so far, you already know what you're doing.

P.S. Hurry with the Punic units! (Carthage for the win!)

I would love to see some more units for each culture. a lot isn't necessary, but there are so many gaps in each roster. I love champloo's pack. I agree with Deter, making it somewhat historically reasonable.

+1 for more units

Yes a few new units here and there is always welcomed, but know need to go over board. Really enjoying the battles. I feel fatigue is pretty bang on and movement.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

So I've decided to return 'making new units for STEP' back to the top of the priority list. But I really would appreciate help with the legwork from another experienced modder because making high quality custom units is really a lot of work. So if anyone who knows what they're doing would like to volunteer to be a part of the revival of STEP's development, I'll gladly start accepting PM's on the matter.

Things that would help:
    Knowing how to work with variantmeshdefinitions to create custom skins for the new units that fit with their description and faction.
    Ability to create brand new unit cards that match the vanilla style.
    Assisting with building chain unlock order decisions.
    Researching and brain-storming new units that would both fill current roster gaps and improve variety of roster options.

Hope you don't mind OP, but I'm going to rename this thread to better fit its topic.