Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum Bibliography

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum Bibliography

What literature would you guys recommend on Pyrrhos? I mean I can kind of look up books that directly have his name in the title, but its more tricky to find books with a wider subject but that still cover him in great detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    thus implying that the war between Alexander and Porus was most likely inconclusive and ended in a truce.When Macedonians realised they were dealing with an enemy of uncommon valour. Sensing defeat they called for a truce, which Puru accepted. The Indian king struck a bargain – in return for Ambhi’s territories, which Alexander’s Failed Invasion of India would secure his frontiers, Puru would assist the Macedonians in leaving India safely.
    I agree. I don't think Alexander had enough resources to deal with India, it was a completely different ball game. I mean Maurya gifted Seleucus with 500 elephants out of a total of 5000 war elephants? And the maximum number of elephants Alexander saw was like what, 15 elephants in Gaugamela? Completely different levels right there.

Quote Originally Posted by tentaku View Post
    I agree. I don't think Alexander had enough resources to deal with India, it was a completely different ball game. I mean Maurya gifted Seleucus with 500 elephants out of a total of 5000 war elephants? And the maximum number of elephants Alexander saw was like what, 15 elephants in Gaugamela? Completely different levels right there.
    no, the maximum number of elephants was encountered at the battle of the Hydaspes, after Darius was totally defeated and murdered by his entourage.

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    What literature would you guys recommend on Pyrrhos? I mean I can kind of look up books that directly have his name in the title, but its more tricky to find books with a wider subject but that still cover him in great detail.
    check the OP in this thread. there are only two dedicated works on Pyrrhos in English (off the top of my head, there is at least one in Russian): Pyrrhos: King of Epirus by Petros Garoufalias and more recent Pyrrhus of Epirus by Jeff Champion.

for general overview of Greek affairs (aside from a focus on Philip's career) check Philip of Macedon by N. G. L. Hammond.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Very interesting discussions in the last pages!

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I've been reading about naval warfare in the Classical, Hellenistic and Roman periods, specifically John R Hale's Lords of the Sea and John D Grainger's Hellenistic and Roman Naval Wars.
    The Age of Titans: The Rise and Fall of the Great Hellenistic Navies by William Murray is excellent book and very important study of Hellentic naval warfare. Itīs great to use it alongside with
    Graingerīs book, as this book is more technical book in my opinion.

There are two new books about Seleukid Empire coming out:

The first one is written by Paul J. Kosmin and itīs called Time and Its Adversaries in the Seleucid Empire.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The second book is called The Early Seleukids, their Gods and their Coins by Kyle Erickson.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post

The Age of Titans: The Rise and Fall of the Great Hellenistic Navies by William Murray is excellent book and very important study of Hellentic naval warfare. Itīs great to use it alongside with

There are two new books about Seleukid Empire coming out:

The first one is written by Paul J. Kosmin and itīs called Time and Its Adversaries in the Seleucid Empire.

The second book is called The Early Seleukids, their Gods and their Coins by Kyle Erickson.

Two of the best in their field and two very pleasent chaps to add. Not had had a preview yet, will try and vhange that. Can only say if their previous research is any like this new, then we all stand to be blessed

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post

Grainger is defintely political/strategic in his focus, it did feel like it was missing something on the operational/tactical level. Hale was better for a discussion of what was actually going on in the battles and how they were fought.

https://pt.scribd.com/doc/29391428/A...9-BC-to-146-BC

A very interesting reading about the armies of the Macedonians, Persians, Romans, Carthaginians, Greeks, Gallic and Sicilian people.
    Note: Page 147 (145 of the book) shows the Lybian Veteran Spearmen, the type of units that I keep asking the EBII team to implement in the game :b

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Grainger is defintely political/strategic in his focus, it did feel like it was missing something on the operational/tactical level. Hale was better for a discussion of what was actually going on in the battles and how they were fought.
    You are absolutely right, for example I really missed this aspect in his Seleukid books as Mr. Grainger is one of my favorite authors. You really need to use Bar-Kochvaīs books (The Seleucid Army, Judas Maccabaeus) as companion books for tactical level.

New Graingerīs books published by Pen and Sword books next year are called:
    Antipater's Dynasty: Alexander the Great's Regent and his Successors

Ancient Dynasties: The Families that Ruled the Classical World, circa 1000 BC to AD 750

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    I will just provide information about upcoming Osprey Publishing book called The Army of Pyrrhus of Epirus by Nicholas Sekunda. The book will be published next summer.

we've got very few titles on Epirus in our library and its great to see that a book on Phyrrus is in the works. a very interesting character indeed, i would like to start a video play-through on him at some point. also, love Grainger, more books from him are always welcome! i especially look forward to the one on Antipater. updated, thanks for contributions

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Article "The Epigonoi - the Iranian phalanx of Alexander the Great" by M.J. Olbrycht is available on-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Article "The Epigonoi - the Iranian phalanx of Alexander the Great" by M.J. Olbrycht is available on-line.
    Thanks, it looks very interesting

I just want to post information about my new book - Age of Conquests: The Greek World from Alexander to Hadrian (336 BC – AD 138) by Dr Angelos Chaniotis. Dr Angelos Chaniotis is author of amazing War the Hellenistic World: A Social and Cultural History.

Really looking forward to this one, but I need to finish the Kings and Kingship in the Hellenistic World 350 - 30 BC and Emperor Alexander Severus

Hello people,

This is a question related to a project I have : I wish to reenact a thorakitai from hellenistic period.
    I already have a lot of intel about it but there is one thing that is very difficult to understand so I call for help.

What anybody know about the mail armour of Thorakitai ?

When I see images sources, I have only this :

There are other pieces of this series but either it shows someone with no armour, or the painting is deteriorated making interpretations difficults.

In EB2, we can see that thorakitai have shoulder protections like on roman hamata, with two types of "hooks" to hold them in place.
    Yet, on the image linked above, we can see that the spearman has no shoulder protections, only a "mail cuirass" (if we focus on the shape)

Any reason why EB2 team had elected to use more "roman" style hamata ?

Is it a creation from the team to make it "coherent" or is it something backed up by sources ?

I know we see a hamata on the altar of Pergamon, with a spear and a shield, but I see those as spoils of war against Galatians. Am I wrong ?

Thank you for your help.

i was doing a bit of research on the military reforms for my current Pyrrhic play-through and started reading Hellenistic Infantry Reform in the 160s BC by Nicholas Sekunda. that image you posted is on the book's cover. not sure if he specifically considers the mail armour of thorakitai (and book lacks the index section) but if he does, ill share it here.
    good luck with the proiject

@Floren

It all comes down to a few questions.
    1. Do I need it?
    2. Can I get it?

The Thorakitai on the image thought it wasn't necessary to have/couldn't afford an additional layer of mail on the shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    i was doing a bit of research on the military reforms for my current Pyrrhic play-through and started reading Hellenistic Infantry Reform in the 160s BC by Nicholas Sekunda. that image you posted is on the book's cover. not sure if he specifically considers the mail armour of thorakitai (and book lacks the index section) but if he does, ill share it here.
    good luck with the proiject
    Thank you for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    @Floren

It all comes down to a few questions.
    1. Do I need it?
    2. Can I get it?

The Thorakitai on the image thought it wasn't necessary to have/couldn't afford an additional layer of mail on the shoulders.
    I agree with that, but supposing I "need" it, I would have wished to know what kind of shoulders protections was used by them. In EB we have clear copies of roman Lorica Hamata but I didn't find any sources about that. (Admittingly I am not good with sources finding) My logic would have said that it would be more accurate to have celtic armours instead of roman ones since it came when facing galatians (and thracians ?) but logic and sources are two different things.

Genava's Avatar Senator

Stoddart, S. (2017). Delicate urbanism in context: Settlement nucleation in pre-Roman Germany. [Book]. https://doi.org/10.17863/CAM.27609
    Download link here: https://www.repository.cam.ac.uk/handle/1810/280244
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

added to the OP, thanks.

(also had to get rid off the spoiler code as it acts weirdly and wouldnt be inserted properly)

Genava's Avatar Senator

Another open source book about a very rare subject summarized in recent academic books:

Fragmenting the Chieftain : a practice-based study of Early Iron Age Hallstatt C elite burials in the Low Countries
    https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/handle/1887/58610
    http://vandervaart-verschoof.com/?p=507
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Perroelo's Avatar Foederatus

I ask here because it is my source of sources haha. Do you know where the EBII team gets its source of faction voices from? For example, the new lougiones voice acting. Thanks!

I found a new book about Seleukids - The Seleukid Empire 281-222: War within the family edited by Kyle Erickson.