Thread: Does Taksashila army suck or do I?

Default Does Taksashila army suck or do I?

Playing custom battles against AI for fun. Always on the verge on completely routing enemies but failing at the last minute thanks to elephants going beserk or Indian heavy infantry just not holding the line. One thing I noticed even on Medium difficulty is that opposing cavalry are not completely routed after coming in contact with more than one unit of my armored Elephants. I noticed even weak javelin cavalry holding out against my elephants in melee (LOL) till there are basically none of them left. Shouldnt they just rout after a good charge and losing over half their numbers? That's how it would have been in real life. Even rear charges into the battle line don't immediately rout the enemy forces.

So is it just me or do these units truly suck? What's your tactial approach to using these units? These Taksashila Indian units seem to be of poor quality overall, though I have won many battles with them on all difficulty settings.

How historically accurate is EB II with respect to Taksashila? So far, its making Indian military to look like a joke to me, even though a small Indian kingdom like Porus could bloody Alexandr so badly that his Greeks mutinied on the banks of the Yamuna.

Rosbjerg's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Does Taksashila army suck or do I?

Ashoka the Great and the Maurya dynasty were at the times occupied with internal strife and the conversion to Buddhism. So you're basically playing an semi-independent governor, using local levy troops, to expand the borders of the empire.
    In this regard, it's very historically accurate. If you had access to the royal army however, it would be much easier for you.

That said, you can play on their strengths and fall into their weaknesses, you've been doing the latter. Remember that you're using levy troops, so infantry is best used as a weak meatshield for your limited stronger units.
    Elephants aren't used for prolonged melee, their use is purely shock - keep them near the enemy, charging their flanks and scaring them - don't ever put them in a prolonged fight.

Historically light infantry and javelin troops were used to kill elephants. They were maneuverable enough and spears thrust and hurled into elephants will most certainly kill them.

But you'll be outclassed in all categories, the Bactria and Greek successor states has better infantry, the Parthias and Persians have better cavalry and shock troops - so you need to adjust your strategy, depending on the factions you are fighting at the time. You'll never win a slugfest against either, on their own turf.

Good infantry is countered by the anvil tactic, get the hoplites etc occupied with cheap units and hammer them from behind with elephants, cavalry, heavy infantry or archers hitting them from the sides.
    Cavalry is countered by protected longbowmen and spears or simply more cavalry than they are bringing.

But you are fighting an enemy with superior troops, with your inferior levy troops, in their lands - so it is a hard fight. It's a fun campaign once you get rolling though.
    Last edited by Rosbjerg; Yesterday at 08:13 AM.

QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

Are you using the Indo-Greek units? If you're just using the native units, you've essentially got levies with a small leavening of better troops (Macemen and Swordsmen). Cavalry definitely shouldn't rout for good after one charge; lights especially thrive on kiting around and pouncing where they can, before moving again.

Also of note, I recently upgraded the Spearmen to semi-professionals, meaning they should stick around more.

Ultimately, though, there's nothing we can do about chariots and elephants being rubbish in the M2TW engine.

Yeah I sometimes use Indo Greek units like the horsemen or spearmen, but I prefer to use all Indian units for a more realistic experience. My preferred way of deployment is a forward line of heavy infantry guarding massed longbows who stand and fight, with cavalry and elephants on the flanks. The massed longbows devastate and the heavy infantry is decent at holding the line, but I just feel like they are lower morale than the standard issue infantry of the Hellenic factions. It doesnt take much for them to rout and lose a battle that I'm on the verge of winning.

Point taken on the M2TW engine. I'll keep all of this in mind for my next battles.

QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

There is no arbitrary "equality" between the rosters of the various factions. The advantage Taksashila would have over Baktria, say, is that they'd have huge armies comprising mostly of levies. The Indo-Greeks are the closest thing you have on that roster to Hellenic heavy infantry.

Note an all-Indian army isn't necessarily realistic or historical; most nations had contingents of mercenaries and other foreigners present.