Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum Bibliography

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum Bibliography

@Jurand of Cracow: Great find - looks like very interesting title thanks for sharing.

@ Sarkiss: Thanks for the review. Personally, I haven't bought this book yet. It seems to me that it is not possible to properly capture all the Hellenistic armies in such a short book. After your preview I will delete it from my wishlist

Few things for Hellenistic fans:

Beyond Alexandria: Literature and Empire in the Seleucid World by Marijn S. Visscher. It looks like a very interesting book:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Article for Ptolemaic fans:
    https://www.academia.edu/4662183/Rec..._in_Alexandria

Genava's Avatar Senator

Interesting videos about swords in use by the Romans (ENG sub included):
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...nomyIGrwggTAzJ
    Last edited by Genava; October 09, 2020 at 05:29 PM.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I've read the first page, and it looks like an interesting article! Thanks for sharing it Jurand!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Few articles I read these days:

Reassessing the Proficiency of Celtic Military Forces c. 100 BC-100 AD by Dewi Bevan:

The Parthians' Unique Mode of Warfare: A Tradition of Parthian Militarism and the Battle of Carrhae by Nikolaus L Overtoom:

The struggle for the seleucid succession, 94-92 BC : a new tetradrachm of Antiochus XI and Philip I of Antioch by Arthur Houghton:

Genava's Avatar Senator

There is a public event about reenactment and archaeology movies with a public poll. The event is from France:
    https://www.rencontres-archeologie.c...s-100-en-ligne

One of those movies is about the Gauls during the Gallic Wars and is available with English subtitles:
    https://vimeo.com/453766031

This is made by a well-known reenactment group, Les Ambiani.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

I foud this book called The Hellenistic Gulf: Greek Naval Presence in South Mesopotamia and the Gulf (324-64 B.C.) by Andreas P Parpas:

Has anyone read it? Is it good book?

Guys, does anyone is interested to read something about the Bosporan Kingdom?
    I can put here some stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Paerisades View Post
    Sure, I have only The army of the Bosporan Kingdom by Mariusz Mielczarek. Recently I have been interested in the client kingdoms of Rome and their armed forces

Perroelo's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Paerisades View Post
    Yes please! I'd love that. I only have the army of the Bosporan Kingdom, too.

something you were all dying to read about, the famous machimoi

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    something you were all dying to read about, the famous machimoi
    Another article on machimoi:
    https://www.academia.edu/6370297/Let...maic_fragment_

a book on Ptolemaic military by one of EB historians, paullus: https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-...rdback/p/17980
    here is an introductory article: https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/blog...paul-johstono/
    available on Amazon as well.

Thanks for the suggestion Sarkiss! It is always so cool to see just how solid the EB team is on these matters!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Here is a vital online resource for anyone doing research on the Seleukids, Parthians, Scythians, Persians, Armenians:

The Encyclopædia Iranica is a comprehensive research tool dedicated to the study of Iranian civilization in the Middle East, the Caucasus, Central Asia, and the Indian subcontinent.

Parthia.com has some info that can be useful for those studying Parthia, the Seleukid and later Sassanian Empires.

Zoroastrian Heritage is a very good site which covers the rituals, temples, festivals of Zoroastrianism, as well the early history of central Asia / Chorasmia, Bactria, Sogdia, etc., where Zoroastrianism was born.
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; February 05, 2021 at 03:00 PM.

Pourshariati's book about the decline and fall of the Sassanids is available online. PDFdrive is a legitimate site, as far as I know, and the available copy if free of viruses, but I'm not sure if it has been uploaded with the consent of the author. If you believe it's fine, you can add the link to the OP. For Farrokh's book, there's one nice (albeit a bit vitriolic) review from Lendering. Keep in mind that a few scholars replied to Lendering's review, but their arguments are not very convincing (they're basically nitpicking). They even created a slightly toxic site, dedicated specifically to denigrate Lendering. It's one of the most interesting feuds in academia, probably originated from the conflicting views about the Cyrus Cylinder between modern academia and Iranian nationalists/royalists.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    I foud this book called The Hellenistic Gulf: Greek Naval Presence in South Mesopotamia and the Gulf (324-64 B.C.) by Andreas P Parpas:

Has anyone read it? Is it good book?
    I haven't read that specific book, but I have read his work over the role of thalassocracy in Alexander's conquest. It was a bit meh, Parpas doesn't seem to have researched the topic very well and the text often gave the impression of Cypriot fanboyism. His study about the Persian gulf could be better, but I wouldn't risk buying it, to be honest.

For the Achaemenid Empire, Achemenet is also a great site and sometimes better updated than Encylopedia Iranica. Livius is also useful for studying primary sources. It features, for example, a great list of translated ancient Persian inscriptions. What needs to be avoided at all costs is CAIS (Circle of Ancient Iranian Studies). Some of their articles are good, but others are just nationalistic rants with little basis on reality.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; February 13, 2021 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post

Reassessing the Proficiency of Celtic Military Forces c. 100 BC-100 AD by Dewi Bevan:

This was quite interesting, thank you.

Some recommended bibliography (in English) for those who want to read about Carthage:

Beck, H. (2011): “The reasons for the war” en Hoyos, D. (ed.): A Companion to the Second Punic War. Oxford y Malden, pp. 225-41

Borba Florenzano, M.B., The Coinageof Pyrrhus in Sicily: Evidence of a Political Project, in The Age of Pyrrhus. Papers delivered at the International Conference Brown University (8-10 April 1988) (= Archeologia Transatlantica 11), ed. by T. Hackens, N. Holloway, R. Ross Holloway, G. Moucharte, Louvain-la-Neuve 1992, 207-223.

Brizzi, G. (2011): “Carthage and Hannibal in Roman and Greek memory”, in Hoyos, D. (ed.), A companion to the Punic Wars, 483-498. Malden-Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.

Carradice, I.A.; La Nièce, S. (1988): ‘The Libyan War and coinage: a new hoard and the evidence of metal analysis,’ Numismatic Chronicle 148.

Charles, M. B., Rhodan, P. (2007): “Magister Elephantorum: A Reappraisal of Hannibal’s Use of Elephants”, Classical World, 100, pp. 363-389.

Charles, M. B. (2014): “Carthage and the Indian Elephant”, l’Antiquité classique, 83, pp. 115-127.

Docter, R. et al. (2015): Carthage: Fact and Myth. Leiden: Sidestone Press.

Edwards, J. (2001): “The Irony of Hannibal’s Elephants”. Latomus, 60-4, pp. 900-905.

Garnand, B. (2001): “From Infant Sacrifice to the ABC’s: Ancient Phoenicians and Modern Identities”, Stanford Journal of Archaeology 1, 1-82.

Goldsworthy, A. (2007): The Fall of Carthage: the Punic Wars 265–146 BC. London: Orion.

Hine, H.M. (1979): “Hannibal’s Battle on the Tagus (Polybius 3.14 and Livy 21.5)”. Latomus, 38, 891-901.

Hoyos, D. (2002): “Hannibal’s Olcades”, Habis, 33, pp.131-140

Hoyos, D. (2003): Hannibal’s Dynasty. Power and Politics in the western Mediterranean, 247-183 BC. London.

Hoyos, D. (2007): Truceless War: Carthage’s Fight for Survival, 241–237 BC. Leiden.

Hoyos, D. (2011): “Carthage in Africa and Spain, 241-218”, in Hoyos, B.D. (ed.): A companion to the Punic Wars. (Wiley-Blackwell). Oxford, pp. 204-222.

Hurst, H.R. et al. (1994): Excavations at Carthage. The British Mission II, 1: The Circular Harbour. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Lancel, S. (1992): Carthage. Paris: Wiley-Blackwell.

Lancel, S. Hannibal (Paris, 1995). A thorough and sympathetic study of Carthage’s war-leader.

Lazenby, J.F. (1978): Hannibal’s War. A military History of the second Punic War. Warminster.

Le Bohec,Y. (2011): “The ‘Third Punic War’: The siegeof Carthage (149-146 BC)”. D. Hoyos (ed.) A Companion tothe Punic Wars, pp.430-445. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.

Levene, D. S. (2010): Livy on the Hannibalic War. Oxford. 2010

Macdonald, E. (2015): Hannibal. A Hellenistic Life. New Haven.

Mahaney, W. C., et al., 2014. Polybius’s ‘previous landslide’: proof that Hannibal’s invasion route crossed the col de la Traversette, Journal of Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry, 14 (2), 1–20.

Mahaney, W.C., et al., 2019. Reconnaissance of the Hannibalic Route in the Upper Po Valley, Italy: Correlation with Biostratigraphic Historical Archaeological Evidence in the Upper Guil Valley of France. Archaeometry, 61 (1), 242-258.

Picard, G.C., & & Picard, C. (1968): The Life and Death of Carthage. London and New York.

Rankov, B. (1996): “The second Punic War at sea” in Cornell, T.J. et alii (1996): The second Punic War: a Reappraisal (London), pp. 49-57.

Rawlings, L. (1996): “Celts, Spaniards and Samnites: warriors in a soldiers’ war”. T.Cornell, B.Rankov, P. Sabin (eds.), The Second Punic War, 81-95. London.

Rich, J. (1996): “The origins of the Second Punic War” en Cornell, T. J.; Rankin, B.; Sabin, P.: The Second Punic War: a Reappraisal. London, pp. 1-37.

Sheldon, R. M. (1986): “Hannibal’s Spies”, International Journal of Intelligence and CounterIntelligence, 1.3, pp. 53-70.

Sheldon, R. M. (2015): “Hannibal as spy chief”, Leidschrift, 30, pp. 25-46.

Tang, B. (2005): Delos, Carthage, Ampurias. The Housing of Three Mediterranean Trading Centres. Rome, pp. 72-88.

Tsirkin (1986): “Carthage and the problem of the polis”. Rivista di Studi Fenici, XIV.2

Tsirkin (1988) “The economy of Carthage”, Carthago: Studia Phoenicia, VI, Lovaina, pp. 125-135.

Van Dommelen, P. (2014): “Punic Identities and modern perceptions in the Western Mediterranean”, en Quinn, J. C. y Vella, N. C. (eds.), The Punic Mediterranean, 42-57. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Warmington, B.H. (1988): “The Destruction of Carthage: a retractatio”. Classical Philology, 83.4, pp. 308-310.

Whittaker, C. R., “Carthaginian imperialism in the Fifth and Fourth Centuries”, Imperialism in the Ancient World (C. R. Witthaker y D. A. Garsney, eds.), Cambridge, 1978, pp. 49-88.

Zambon, E., From Agathocles to Hiero II: the birth and the development of basileia in Hellenistic Sicily, in S. Lewis (ed.), Ancient Tyranny , Edinburgh 2006, 77-92

---

Let me know if some of you can read Spanish and are interested, in that case, I'll post more bibliography.

Perroelo's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Trarco View Post
    Let me know if some of you can read Spanish and are interested, in that case, I'll post more bibliography.
    I can read Spanish and would love to know more bibliography