Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Religions in TW ATTILA - Catholic and Orthodox Christians in AD 4-5 cc.????

Default Religions in TW ATTILA - Catholic and Orthodox Christians in AD 4-5 cc.????

The religions in TW Attila is one of the new and key feature, which I like and respect for this to CA team, but after I have seen the official presentation
    of the Total War: ATTILA by CA members and looked into the map with the description of religions, I found some very serious errors in it.

Just see the screenshot of the map from this official presentation:

What is the Catholic Christianity and Orthodox Christianity, can someone explain it to me???!!! The whole Western and Eastern Roman Empire shared one, official,
    united Orthodox (some might call it Catholic or true) Christianity. They both have Nicene Creed (325) Christianity. So, what a huk is Catholic and Orthodox religions in AD 4 and 5 cc.???

Also, the Caucasus region that is shown in the map, at least the the Western portion of it (Kingdom of Lazica) was half Christian and half pagan (mixed worship of local deities, Mithraism and Graeco-Roman pantheon).
    Zoroastrian faith was spread only in Eastern portion of Caucasus - in Kingdom of Karli (Iberia) and Kingdom of Arran (Albania), but even in those countries the state religion or the official religion was Orthodox Christianity!
    But in the map we see TENGRI and ZOROASTRIAN religions in Lazica, which is big mistake for this country.
    Even Armenia was Christian from 314 and this country was also Orthodox Christian country before the separation of Diophysites and Monophysites, after the Council of Chalcedon (451). Hence before the 451 there were no Monophysits, no Nestorians, and no Catholics and Orthodox Christians, all of these was united in one single Christian Church - Just to be called Orthodox Christian Church, or just the Christian Church. So, division between the Catholics and Orthodox churches or religion is the huge mistake.
    Hence, Armenia has to be half Christian (The United Christian Church/Orthodox Christian) and half Zoroastrian as its overlords from Sassanian Empire were of Zoroastrian faith, hence Zoroastrianism was also official religion in Armenia in AD 4th and 5th cc.

As for the Aryans, the Aryans really existed in AD 4th and 5th cc. (just after 325, they were separated from Orthodox Church) and many Barbarians became Aryan in opposition to Roman Empire (Western or Eastern Roman Empires).

I think these, above-mentioned, and much more has to be changed in religions vanilla campaign map (if start is about from AD 395) in Attila Total War in order to achieve maximum
    historical accuracy for the game in AD 395.

Your opinions and suggestions guys... maybe you also have some correction about the map?!

Last edited by JERUSALEM; September 28, 2014 at 08:11 AM.
    Through your intercession I hope to see the light of Thy son and the light of everlasting ages !

Default Re: Religions in TW ATTILA - Catholic and Orthodox Christians in AD 4-5 cc.????

I hope mods will take care of it so that we don't have to deal with CA's nonsense.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Default Re: Religions in TW ATTILA - Catholic and Orthodox Christians in AD 4-5 cc.????

I actually loled at this.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Looks like they are trying to establish a distinction between the Eastern and Western empire through culture/religion. Religion will replace culture in Attila, these are probably just placeholder names. What would be better options, Eastern and Western Christianity?

Civis

Christianity was official religion in eastern Georgian around 326 bc and widely spread in western part of georgia long before than in kartli.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nino
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

❋ Flavius Belisarius ❋'s Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Kinjo View Post
    Looks like they are trying to establish a distinction between the Eastern and Western empire through culture/religion. Religion will replace culture in Attila, these are probably just placeholder names. What would be better options, Eastern and Western Christianity?
    The best would be an unique Christian religion because the game will not be related to the East-West Schism of 1054.

By the way we might have the rise of Islam in the game, what do you think ?
    The description Last of the Romans (Ultimus Romanorum) has historically been given to any man thought to embody the values of Ancient Roman civilization —values which, by implication, became extinct on his death. It has been used to describe a number of individuals.
    Flavius Belisarius (505?–565), one of the greatest generals of the Byzantine Empire and one of the most acclaimed generals in history. He was also the only Byzantine general to be granted a Roman Triumph.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Quote Originally Posted by Kinjo View Post
    Religion will replace culture in Attila
    I thought they were going to be separate, heard it in some interview I think.

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    I thought they were going to be separate, heard it in some interview I think.

That is what I heard as well. There will be both Culture and Religion.

I guess CA just went with popularly know religions in order to make Eastern and Western Romans different but I agree they should use another name than Orthodox for Eastern Roman religion.

Have to agree with the OP, for people with even the faintest familiarity with Christianity it's just weird to see an east-west schism 600 years early. If they want to represent the cultural divide between the western and eastern empires, it would be better for them the emphasize or acknowledge the Greek and Asian influences on the eastern empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
    That is what I heard as well. There will be both Culture and Religion.

I guess CA just went with popularly know religions in order to make Eastern and Western Romans different but I agree they should use another name than Orthodox for Eastern Roman religion.
    Actually, both empires should have Orthodox Christianity as their state religion at that start date.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Quote Originally Posted by Gromovnik View Post
    Actually, both empires should have Orthodox Christianity as their state religion at that start date.
    Na both should have "Catholic"

Roman and Greek Christianity would've been fine.

Yep latin and greek rites would be a better differentiation (but then you would also need eastern rites as well, and coptic...)

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Leving View Post
    Na both should have "Catholic"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromovnik View Post
    Naahh Christian should suffice.

lol. I think both regions had differing rites, rituals, etc. by this time, but probably not enough to classify them as two different religions yet.

Sherm's Avatar Ordinarius

Bad choiche, even if there are differences in the rites through the time, and some political clash before the schism, the should be only Christianity with some heresy mechanic.

They divided beetween orthodox and christian, but not add someone that should be there coptic and nestorianism. Also the "other" religion, is not so very needed, more or less can be added generic religions for all the map, and there should be some presence of the jews in my opinion. Maybe can be there Some north african tribe, there was jews tribes at time but I can't say if they can be majority in some region.
    Last edited by Sherm; September 28, 2014 at 05:12 PM.

Or they could have Nicene Christianity, Arian Christianity etc.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Slydessertfox's Avatar Vicarius

If they want to have different christianities it should be orthodox (I.e. Catholics) monophysites, and Arians.

It seems like an amateur mistake or a poor design decision.

its all right to trying to diferent west from east..but ORTHODOX AND CATHOLICS ?this is fail.

Even something very simple like Latin Church and Greek Church would be a more accurate difference.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast