Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragonball Z topic.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Dragonball Z topic.

It's not a competition though, and this topic is for DBZ.

As for what is and isnt cannon.. I didnt read the manga so to me the anime is all cannon. Exept Yamcha beating Olibu. It was too much of a stretch.
    As for the movies.. I just dont know what to think of it. Usually they dont work with the series events, and I feel that they are always too short.

It's not a competition though, and this topic is for DBZ.
    Competition to whom? In the anime market it sure is a competition to the shounen genre.
    Even now... Dragon Ball kai was still airing last time i checked... they just cant stop milking the franchise.

But was only stating that, there is far better Anime out there then Dragon ball Z, only not as popular aparently, even though cult folowing for some great series still exist.

But Dragonball is like super old. Ofcourse there's better stuff out by now. Also, nobody ever stated DB was the greatest series ever to exist, and I'm sure by now everyone knows what a cheap, time-stretching POS it can really be (or the anime at least), but it's just one of those things everybody seems to have watched and loved at some point during their lives.

Indeed, for most people in the west it was their introduction to Anime. Personly I still never cared to watch other Anime series. Just usually not my thing.

But Dragonball is like super old. Ofcourse there's better stuff out by now. Also, nobody ever stated DB was the greatest series ever to exist, and I'm sure by now everyone knows what a cheap, time-stretching POS it can really be (or the anime at least), but it's just one of those things everybody seems to have watched and loved at some point during their lives.
    Indeed, for most people in the west it was their introduction to Anime. Personly I still never cared to watch other Anime series. Just usually not my thing.
    I wacthed Anime way before Dragon ball, came out, stuff older and better then Dragon ball.... there is Animes in the 80s that pretty much trumps it, imo. In doubt just check the Thread of best animated film of the 80s... Some Anime even were oscar worthy.

Dragon ball is old,but not that old, there are alot of stuff older.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes its from 1982 and 1987 or Starblazers from 1979.. and before that Future boy conan, and Lupin series even Maya the Bee wich i recall from when i was a child.
    All those stuff aired in the west too, and it is amazing.

Dragon ball Z however was a phenom of popularity in the mid 90s, but i remember in those same years shows like Cowboy bebop, Trigun, Rouronin kenshin "samurai X" ( also popular and better shounen then dragon ball Z), Berserk, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Sailor Moon, Patlabor, Pokemon and such wich were not made after Dragon ball, it was shows from the same era, in wich were simply better most of them, some of them not aimed at children granted.

The 90s was an Era of boom for anime in the west, and United States.

It was Dragon ball Z that was realy popular, lets be honest, it wasnt dragon ball... allthough i prefer it by miles Dragon ball then Dragoin ball Z. The latter has much more dumb premise then the previous show.
    While the original Dragon Ball, was more focused on adventure, and played with Myths, and ethos of martial arts and its comical side, Z instead was a combat feast, with a very simple premise, with combat levels and transformations, that was rehashed, and rehashed, countless times... it is the same thing over, and over and over. Until the silly Buu saga, and then it continued with GT, and at that point was already too idiotic to be considered.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

You know we've spent like the last 7 pages talking about how poorly written the show is right? I mean if you look at like every other post I express my opinion how "x" made no sense or how bad the overall arc was. As I said Akira Toriyama and gang just wanted to keep popping out episodes. But it's not just the story I think the best things were the action and the animation quality which was quite good for the time. I recall reading that Akira Toriyama also took inspiration from the older but slightly similar show Saint Seiya and I think that might explain a lot. Same formula just that Saint Seiya is a lot more annoying (protagonists always win, lots of fights, long exposition dialogues that anticlimactically pause the fights, bad story telling, dumb speeches, all other characters become as soon as the protagonist shows up, protagonist is Jesus... I could keep going).

Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z were some of the first Japanese animations I ever saw, the others being Saint Seiya and Sailor Moon. It really was my introduction to anime but I didn't realize that at the time (animation was just animation). But I could remember just being so hyped up over the fights and being only about 3 years old, my older cousins and me would sit on the steps watching a little TV and getting so pumped because "x" character was fighting "y" character, the animation was really good and since it was a cartoon I was allowed to watch it over something like Die Hard or Rocky.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 18, 2015 at 05:55 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Yes i remember Saint Seiya when i was a child, that one and Captain Tsubasa ( people who grew up in football "soccer" countries will remember that one from childhood), all Stuff from the 80s. Saint Seiya was heavely inspired in Greek mythology, i recall all the kids back then had Sticker collections of it, i think i had mine as well .
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Those ones and the X men cartoons were specialy Popular back then,

But none got the same popularity of Dragon Ball Z... in mid late 90s, that phenomena thingy was sick, i recon it was because of the Cliff hanging nature of the show. Cliff hanging was specialy acute with that one.

Anyway those are all of the same genre not suprised Dragon Ball Z was inspired on Saint Seiya.

Patrician

Ninja Turtles was severely beat out by Dragon Ball Z. I've never heard of Captain Tsubasa though. The other big ones I recall were Batman, Gargoyles and X Men but that was American animation (also a weird thing with talking sharks that looked sort of like Ninja Turtles).

Saint Seiya just pissed me off so much though. It was basically the other knights doing all the work to take out the enemy while Seiya, the always annoying underdog, got the crap beaten out of him every time. Then the final boss shows up and beats all of them, the highly overpowered Phoenix (who cannot be killed and is resistant to any attack used twice) gets knocked out for no reason except that Seiya has to beat the boss. Everyone starts crying out "Seiya you can do it!" "I believe in you Seiya!" and then Seiya says a really stupid speech "I can win because I never give up, I believe in myself and my friends etc" then he keeps using the same move or miraculously manages to use the strongest armour and beats the bad guy. Now imagine four seasons of this. Trust me when I say the animation quality and the fights weren't as good as in Dragon Ball Z.
    In 2005 (I think) they made the Hades Arc OVA and initially I thought it was about the many times more interesting characters Phoenix and Andromeda (cause Phoenix was seriously badass, he's like Vegeta mixed with Piccolo but way stronger and less whiny) and then half way into that OVA it switches back to the old Seiya formula
    Admittedly the best fights involved Dragon and Phoenix but compared to Dragon Ball the action was kind of weak (a lot of the other fights were sort of meh and there doesn't seem to have been an overall story). But it was this sort of fighting style show/formula that inspired Dragon Ball.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Trust me when I say the animation quality and the fights weren't as good as in Dragon Ball Z.
    It is older Anime then Dragon ball Z though.
    Dragon Ball Z is from the 90s Saint Seiya was made in the 80s, but i do think the original dragon ball, is better as animation is concerned.

But i cant say i remember the plot very well, to make a comparison, but i do know they rebooted and remade it, last year if im not mistaken. (2013 i think)
    Sant Seiya Omega.

No ideia what is that about.

Captain Tsubasa was very popular ( in Portugal and Spain), still is, every kid that liked football, watch it back then.
    Even today the japanese player playing for Sporting lisbon, Tanaka, has the nickname given by Suporters of Tsubasa

I mean look at that crazy goal...

Patrician

Football animes are popular in South America as well, I never watched any since I considered sports shows were very boring.
    Saint Seiya Omega is actually like a continuation of the old show but with new characters (some older characters in it too). I only watched the first two episodes.

Has anyone watched the Battle of the Gods movie? I want to watch it but I just haven't yet. Is it any good? I saw God Saiyan or whatever and it looked kind of lame, I was expecting like a mix of Super Saiyan 4 and Super Saiyan 3 (cause SS4 is no longer canon).

I pictured this but got something different, shame cause the transformations were some of the coolest parts of the show. As a kid I flipped out when I saw SS3 and SS4.

Has anyone watched the Battle of the Gods movie? I want to watch it but I just haven't yet. Is it any good? I saw God Saiyan or whatever and it looked kind of lame, I was expecting like a mix of Super Saiyan 4 and Super Saiyan 3 (cause SS4 is no longer canon).
    Entertaining, but same old, same old, dont expect much as plot is concerned etc. Bills is actualy a nice character, and the animation, is very good though.
    But the film is worth for its comedy relief and such. As films goes, it is not the worst i seen from Dragon ball Z.

I actually quite like that Toriyama wants to tune down the transformations and actually focus on saiyans their base form and maybe regular super saiyans. I was fine with the ascended saiyan like Gohan first showed since it just added some lightning, but SSJ3 was rediculous, SSj4 even more so.

Patrician

My favourite part about it is how weird it looks (SS4) but also it reminds me of the monkey king which is what Goku is based off of. So I figure that God Saiyan would be like the Chinese monkey god Sun Wukong.

It's weird that somehow clothing changes when they transform to it though. For me it doesnt need to go further than SSJ2.

Also something that I wondered about.. several have shown the ability to multiply themselves or grow big. While its said to make them weaker power wise, wouldnt it be a nifty trick for other occasions?

Like to distract an enemy or to prevent death.. a clone getting killed instead of themselves. Or to save multible people at once.

Like Buu? he pretty much can have the shape he wants.
    Been playing Xenoverse, it is a good game, gameplay is hard to get arround at first ( hate that there isnt a dash in to the locked target like the previous games), and there is alot of grinding, leveling does make a big diference.
    I do like the challange though it makes the enemies as epic as you remember from the anime. One thing i dont like is the transformations system. Super saiyan specialy is a let down... it is just a mere power up with timer that eats you ki per second, if you dont keep charging you lose that state. The perks are great though, no limits on KI to your skills, and you get stronger.
    Im yet to try other races though, i need to finish story mode to unlock other slots so i can make other characters. there is saiyan race, earthlings, nameks, Buus, and frieza race. I do like the RPG elements to it, you pretty much can make your character to you liking both in playstyle skils, and apearance.
    I made vegeta my mentor, and have been training with him, the last mastery quest to beat him, to master his training, is insane i didnt won it yet, even though i have been trying for some time now. When he transforms to SS2 i just cant bring his health down in time to complete the quest. I guess i have to level alot more before trying it again, even if i realy want to learn the final flash ultimate technique, that skill is awesome.

This guy did it at lvl 31 not bad, though he had nice gear ( slug clothes) I have much more dificulty to melee then he does the enemies keep running away from me when i get close is anoying... i ll get it eventualy, now that i can transform to super saiyan though.

There's a DBZ Xenoverse topic in the Games section

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ball-Xenoverse

It's a great game yes, why I made a topic about it there on its own.

Final Flash does insane damage. If it hits. And they dont block.

As for Buu's clothes.. well Buu is weird and somewhat magical. Goku and Vegeta dont get like that through a transformation. Personly I just never had any fondness for the SSJ4 transformation. Basicly the less they look like themselves through transforming, the less I like it. I mean.. why would growing hairier increase power? Are they samson from the bible? will they lose their power if the long hair gets cut? It's weird.

Another thing, it really seems that some characters just get many freebie power ups as it where, mostly goku. It makes me wonder who would actually be strongest if you strip all of that away. Mostly Goku and Gohan getting these freebies, though Piccolo argueably as well to some extent due to fusions.

I kind of start to understand Vegeta and the others their frustrations more for being cast aside.. I mean you train really hard to accomplish something, and then someone else who is less talented just surpasses you for reasons.

Let's start with Tien.. he was equal with Goku at first. But then he first gets that ultra divine water which of course works on goku and no one else, because hes super special.. So theres a huge power gap there suddenly without Goku actually having worked for it. Heck, while Goku did that, Tien mastered a very difficult technique after only seeing it once.
    And then Goku was the only one getting the privilige to train with Kami. Again, special treatment.
    I'd reckon that if Tien was given the same advantages he likely would have been stronger since Goku seemed to struggle a lot at Kami's lookout with stuff that I'd think Tien would have no difficulty with to understand.
    He and the others that did train with Kami later even increased their power much further than Goku did in his training, even developed new techniques along the way which Goku seems to have never been capable of.

Later when training with King Kai, Tien is again neglected..as well as the others. King Kai does not teach them any great techniques, while he was keen to pass several on to Goku. Heck, we never got to really see any benefits from their training there at all. In filler we see them beat the already dead ginyu force but basicly that was just training. When Goku gets special training somewhere, he returns to save the day. When anyone else does the same thing, it means nothing.

I think you reasoning is a bit faulty. Goku is stronger because he did all those stuff first then the others....
    tien, and the others later on go train with Korin ,and kami like Goku did.
    And who said King kai didnt teach any techniques to the others?

Puting this things aside, Dragon ball isnt about the otehrs is pretty much about Goku and Friends.
    Also Lore wise, Goku and Vegeta are the strongest characters, not Goku, and piccolo/Gohan....

Another thing, it really seems that some characters just get many freebie power ups as it where, mostly goku
    In game?
    what you mean? what version of goku? There is a lot of Goku versions.

It's plot armour and Marty Stuishism; even death isn't an obstacle.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.