Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragonball Z topic.

Default Re: Dragonball Z topic.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

New Dragon Ball Z anime coming out
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-04-28/dragon-ball-gets-1st-new-tv-anime-in-18-years-in-july/.87608

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝

That's awesome, can't wait to see what the hell it's about. I'm hoping for more Otherworld/Kais/Gods stuff.

I just realized though that until the Namek saga Vegeta was actually the strongest Saiyan around. Even during his fight against Goku he was actually stronger. It's even suggested that Vegeta was stronger than King Vegeta.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

It's even suggested that Vegeta was stronger than King Vegeta.
    I think he sugests himself that he was able to surpass king vegeta when he was a mere child.

I re-watched some fights from Cell Saga, and man I forgot how "bad" this show actually is. So much time is spent on filler (There is minutes and minutes of Trunks powering up, people starring). Then the dialogues oh god the discourages.

"That Power is incredible", "It ends now", "How could he survive/dodge that?" etc... So many sentences are generic and bland and really go nowhere, at best they are some form of exposition(which is still annoying). Basically only Cell, Vegeta and Picollo get a few interesting lines but most of it is a huge pain to watch. The show does the humor very well, I have no qualms about that though.

But the funny thing is I wasn't so annoyed when I watched Battle of the Gods, and that's after years and years of not thinking about Dragon Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    I think he sugests himself that he was able to surpass king vegeta when he was a mere child.
    Yes he did say that when he was fighting Frieza.

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    I re-watched some fights from Cell Saga, and man I forgot how "bad" this show actually is. So much time is spent on filler (There is minutes and minutes of Trunks powering up, people starring). Then the dialogues oh god the discourages.

"That Power is incredible", "It ends now", "How could he survive/dodge that?" etc... So many sentences are generic and bland and really go nowhere, at best they are some form of exposition(which is still annoying). Basically only Cell, Vegeta and Picollo get a few interesting lines but most of it is a huge pain to watch. The show does the humor very well, I have no qualms about that though.

But the funny thing is I wasn't so annoyed when I watched Battle of the Gods, and that's after years and years of not thinking about Dragon Ball.
    While I wouldn't say that the Saiyan/Namek sagas were not culprits they also did this. I think Cell saga was when Dragon Ball Z was starting to get stale and the Buu Saga came along and made this worse. But honestly I didn't even mind it I only watched it for the crazy over the top fights.

I had not thought about Dragon Ball for years until I found this thread although I did watch Dragon Ball Abridged.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Ohhh ok it's the DBZ abridged. I got it now. Seems like it might be worth watching through just for old time's sake without all the filler stuff.
    I missed this post.
    No i dont think it is the same thing.
    Isnt DBZ abridged a non official parody?
    Dragon Ball kai, is a official series.
    Japanese promotional poster for Dragon Ball Z Kai Dragon Ball Z Kai (known in Japan as Dragon Ball Kai) is a revised version of the anime series Dragon Ball Z, produced in commemoration of the original series' 25th anniversary.[1] Produced by Toei Animation, the series was broadcast in Japan on Fuji Television from April 5, 2009 to March 27, 2011.[2] It features remastered high definition picture, sound, and special effects as well as a re-recorded voice track by most of the original cast.[3] As most of the series' sketches and animation cels had been discarded since the final episode of Dragon Ball Z in 1996, new frames were produced by digitally tracing over still frames from existing footage and filling them with softer colors; thus reducing visible damage to the original animation. Some frames were selectively cropped, while other frames feature new portions added to scenes that were hand drawn to conform to the designated picture ratio. Much of the material from the Dragon Ball Z anime that was not featured in the Dragon Ball manga has been left out in Kai; significantly reducing the total episode count to 167 episodes.[4] The first Blu-ray and DVD compilation was released in Japan on September 18, 2009,[5][6] with individual volumes releasing monthly as well as Blu-ray box sets.[7]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Z_Kai_episodes

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Yes he did say that when he was fighting Frieza.

While I wouldn't say that the Saiyan/Namek sagas were not culprits they also did this. I think Cell saga was when Dragon Ball Z was starting to get stale and the Buu Saga came along and made this worse. But honestly I didn't even mind it I only watched it for the crazy over the top fights.

I had not thought about Dragon Ball for years until I found this thread although I did watch Dragon Ball Abridged.
    I remembered that as a kid I found the Droid/Cell Saga as the most exciting thing ever, the game changer. That these impudent droids who annoyed me (Beating three super sayans with ease) are not the actual villains, but some mysterious creature that is taking it's time, I know the tension was unbearable. Anyway when he finally started absorbing and beating everybody I thought it was the best thing ever, also having every other fighters techniques was really interesting.

If there was ever a villain I didn't wanted to see defeated it was Perfect Cell.

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    I remembered that as a kid I found the Droid/Cell Saga as the most exciting thing ever, the game changer. That these impudent droids who annoyed me (Beating three super sayans with ease) are not the actual villains, but some mysterious creature that is taking it's time, I know the tension was unbearable. Anyway when he finally started absorbing and beating everybody I thought it was the best thing ever, also having every other fighters techniques was really interesting.

If there was ever a villain I didn't wanted to see defeated it was Perfect Cell.
    Yeah there was a lot of tension. Also finding out that 19 and Gero were not the Androids. Plus the whole Cell running around and eating people but no one could catch and stop him, I practically had an anxiety attack

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

You could say that 19 and 20 where not the droids they where looking for.

Thinking back the best thing the Cell saga did was keep us guessing about who would get to kill Cell. They kept pushing Cell into a corner and when you thought he was toast the bastard got back up and layed the smack down on everyone. I figured it would be either Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, 16 or Gohan but to be honest I completely thought it would be the first three. I really overlooked Gohan and when even Goku was too weak to destroy Cell I figured everyone was done for. But then again they did the same thing with the Buu saga with Goku literally saying he could not defeat Majin Buu and then episodes later he was literally evenly matched with Kid Buu, which was absolute bs. It should have ended with Gohan or Vegito just destroying Super Buu and end it there, Kid Buu was really dumb.
    Then it just becomes a Goku fest with everyone praising how strong Goku is for episodes and episodes of him being unable to kill Buu for some unexplainable reason and Vegeta who had gotten a major power boost from Babidi is absolutely useless because Goku.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Thinking back the best thing the Cell saga did was keep us guessing about who would get to kill Cell. They kept pushing Cell into a corner and when you thought he was toast the bastard got back up and layed the smack down on everyone. I figured it would be either Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, 16 or Gohan but to be honest I completely thought it would be the first three. I really overlooked Gohan and when even Goku was too weak to destroy Cell I figured everyone was done for. But then again they did the same thing with the Buu saga with Goku literally saying he could not defeat Majin Buu and then episodes later he was literally evenly matched with Kid Buu, which was absolute bs. It should have ended with Gohan or Vegito just destroying Super Buu and end it there, Kid Buu was really dumb.
    Then it just becomes a Goku fest with everyone praising how strong Goku is for episodes and episodes of him being unable to kill Buu for some unexplainable reason and Vegeta who had gotten a major power boost from Babidi is absolutely useless because Goku.
    I agree that either Vegito or "Mystic" Gohan (both really awesome fighters btw, kind of unsquandered potential really) should've finished off Buu, and that Kid Buu was maybe dragging it too far. With that said, it's not too far fetched that Goku was weaker than Super Buu (first form) but kind of on par with Kid because Super Buu had Fat Buu absorbed and Kid Buu didn't. Besides that, Goku later stated that as a SSJ3 he could've killed Fat Buu during their fight but he wanted to leave it to the children. So basically Fat Buu < Kid Buu < Super Buu.

With the Cell saga it still worked to drag it out a bit, though I already did not like Gohan's reluctance to fight there. He knew Cell killed so many people and he was an android. But he didnt even want to fight while he seemed plenty motivated to fight on Namek. Just a shame they tossed all that character growth out of the window since by the end of the Namek saga he seemed to have matured fast.
    Also would have been more interesting if he went SSJ in battle and not in training. With his rage attacks it would have been so fitting.
    If he didnt need to bring Bulma and Jajirobe back and had fought the androids with the others, that could have been where he could go SSJ. Unwilling to quit as usual, getting up with some attack and going SSJ during it in his rage. Would still not be enough to defeat them, but could give a good hit before being knocked out with the rest.

But yes, Buu saga dragged on way too long. Gohan should have been the one to defeat him and the fusion stuff shouldnt have been introduced. Felt pointless to have Gotenks and to have the kids fight on par with the rest straight away, without being build up like Gohan. Especially since it was not needed. Their moment at the tournament would have been enough, with maybe them going SSJ against Buu since they saw plenty of stuff that could have caused it with Vegeta and ChiChi dying because of Buu.

Mystic Gohan should have been the end of Buu, perhaps they could still have had Goku fighting Buu to hold him off while Gohan still gets his potential unlocked, maybe with Vegeta being send there too. And then Gohan send to finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
    I agree that either Vegito or "Mystic" Gohan (both really awesome fighters btw, kind of unsquandered potential really) should've finished off Buu, and that Kid Buu was maybe dragging it too far.
    Yes I agree. By the time they went inside Buu and they split up I was actually bored. I never really liked Buu anyway so I wish Dabura did more. I remember in an episode of Dragon Ball Goku went to a place called Demon land where some Demon guy was like an evil tyrant there or something. But in the Baba saga they said a guy called Spike was king of the Demons. Later on they introduced Demon King Piccolo and then in DBZ they introduced Dabura. Would have been better if they cleared that up, why not take us to Demon Realm that would have been awesome. Demons seem to have some sort of connection with the Kais which they could have used to tie in Supreme Kai better.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
    With that said, it's not too far fetched that Goku was weaker than Super Buu (first form) but kind of on par with Kid because Super Buu had Fat Buu absorbed and Kid Buu didn't. Besides that, Goku later stated that as a SSJ3 he could've killed Fat Buu during their fight but he wanted to leave it to the children. So basically Fat Buu < Kid Buu < Super Buu.
    I never thought of it that way. I just assumed that Kid Buu was stronger. Although personally I think that's just a contrived why that the writers could make Goku the hero.
    Just watching it I actually do think that Kid Buu vs Goku was one of the worst fights in the show (if not the worst).

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    With the Cell saga it still worked to drag it out a bit, though I already did not like Gohan's reluctance to fight there. He knew Cell killed so many people and he was an android. But he didnt even want to fight while he seemed plenty motivated to fight on Namek. Just a shame they tossed all that character growth out of the window since by the end of the Namek saga he seemed to have matured fast.
    Also would have been more interesting if he went SSJ in battle and not in training. With his rage attacks it would have been so fitting. If he didnt need to bring Bulma and Jajirobe back and had fought the androids with the others, that could have been where he could go SSJ. Unwilling to quit as usual, getting up with some attack and going SSJ during it in his rage. Would still not be enough to defeat them, but could give a good hit before being knocked out with the rest.
    I'm wondering if they couldn't have just made Gohan go straight to SS2 while fighting Cell and not have him go SS1 at all maybe. Or at least have his SS1 transformation a little more spectacular. Even if just once really quickly and then him having to go into the Time Chamber to use it again. As far as the show seems to hint it takes quite a bit of training to master SS1 and use it at will.

But yes, Buu saga dragged on way too long. Gohan should have been the one to defeat him and the fusion stuff shouldnt have been introduced. Felt pointless to have Gotenks and to have the kids fight on par with the rest straight away, without being build up like Gohan. Especially since it was not needed. Their moment at the tournament would have been enough, with maybe them going SSJ against Buu since they saw plenty of stuff that could have caused it with Vegeta and ChiChi dying because of Buu.
    Making these two little kids SS1 just makes SS1 so pointless. Then when they introduced SS3 it made SS2 completely pointless. They didn't even bat an eye when Buu went and killed everyone. Using that logic what did Goku care that Frieza blew Krillin up? Or Gohan that Cell killed 16? Also Vegeta's sacrifice was completely pointless in the Buu saga, it was only a personal victory for Vegeta's character development and that was really it. Where Dragon Ball had so much more character development and characteristics for some of these guys (like Krillin was a smart and tricky fighter or Tienshinhan was really dedicated which made him pretty damn strong for Dragon Ball standards). They kept raising the power cap for each villain so ridiculously that everyone but Super Saiyans became useless and Goku is the only character that can win anything. But Piccolo was so ridiculously weak, you would think that after 7 years into the Buu saga that he wouldn't get beaten by Dabura in one hit. Humans should have gotten stronger too.

Mystic Gohan should have been the end of Buu, perhaps they could still have had Goku fighting Buu to hold him off while Gohan still gets his potential unlocked, maybe with Vegeta being send there too. And then Gohan send to finish it.
    Tienshinhan was in that fight and he couldn't do . He hit Buu with Tribeam it didn't even scratch Buu. Why couldn't say Tienshinhan get his potential unlocked by Elder Kai? I mean why not? Probably would have made him more useful too.

Which actually leads me to my next point that actual techniques and training didn't do jack crap. It becomes really evident from around the point where they fight Cell onwards. It just turns into whoever can send out the biggest explosions. Which is somewhat unrelated but I was playing Xenoverse and Trunks and Tien are some of the worst characters. Only skill Tien had which was useful was Kamehameha, Tribeam is impossible to use (he should have used Super Dodon Wave like Tao Pai Pai, no one except for like Goku or Vegeta developed new stronger skills why the hell not Akira).
    Trunks has literally no useful skills. Burning Attack takes forever to charge, shining slash and burning slash can easily be intercepted and Heat Dome Attack is the most useless ultimate attack I have ever seen. Why wouldn't Gohan teach Trunks to use Kamehameha or Vegeta teach him Galick Gun or something. Now Buu Saga being what it is with little kids being SS1 and the adults all SS2 or higher Future Trunks is actually so weak by comparison. Dude should totally train more and become SS2 or SS3. Although why wouldn't he travel to Namek and bring back the Z fighters (except Goku of course) or Bulma could go seeing as she already has gone there. IMO Future Trunks should get a spin off (well technically Xenoverse is but it could be a show).

I actually just remembered that I saw the Ocean dub of DBZ since it aired in Canada. So when I said my first English dub was Funimation I was mistaken.

I also saw Fukkatsu no F in Spanish. The dub wasn't bad although Frieza's voice was way too deep.
    The movie itself is probably one of the best by far. In the same style as Battle of Gods it was a mix of humour based mostly on character interaction but with a lot more action. I especially liked that they introduced or brought back fighting styles more or less. Where as Goku is more direct and physically imposing but Vegeta is sort of more strategic and looks for flaws to exploit then quickly overpowers the opponent. Either way I felt that this approach in Battle of Gods and Fukkatsu no F felt more like Dragon Ball.

If I had any complaints it was that Yamcha, Chaotzu, Goten, Trunks and Android 18 don't fight at all and they actually don't show them at all. I didn't mind that Trunks and Goten had no role but I would prefer that those other guys got a chance. Tien actually says "I warned Yamcha and Chaotzu not to come because it was too dangerous" and then Krillin brings Roshi... wut. Also how did Roshi get so strong, dude fought like 170 Planet Trade Organization soldiers, last I recall he died to King Piccolo but this was just awesome anyway.

A shame they didnt even show Yamcha then, it was finally a moment he could be fighting. But well at least Tien and Krillin got in some hits? Personly I dont care about Roshi fighting anymore since he was already surpassed during Dragonball and didnt seem to care about training or fighting anymore after that.

I'd like to see the movie sometimes, though would be happy with eventually watching the english dub parts on youtube or such.

What they really should be doing sometimes, is have an enemy that has something about him that makes him a destroyer of Saiyans or such, its power being something strange. Maybe a demon or such who is an old enemy of the Saiyan race.
    It would take a Namek or human to beat this one, they could succeed where a Saiyan could not.

Either way something that shows that its not just about brute strenght. Its really disappointing that it always comes down to that. It would be mighty impressive if say, Tien would have used the evil containment wave succesfully on Buu. Something like that could really be a viable way to capture an enemy without relying on power. Heck Tien could have improved the technique further so that it wouldnt kill him.

Or Krillin could finally get to land a destructo disc on an enemy that does not regenerate. I do include Frieza in that since he grew his tail back when transforming.

Anyone here a fan of DBZ Abdridged as well? Really love how they add comic relief while still sticking to the true show.
    Also it doesn't take Goku 20 epidodes to go through snake way.

A shame they didnt even show Yamcha then, it was finally a moment he could be fighting. But well at least Tien and Krillin got in some hits? Personly I dont care about Roshi fighting anymore since he was already surpassed during Dragonball and didnt seem to care about training or fighting anymore after that. I'd like to see the movie sometimes, though would be happy with eventually watching the english dub parts on youtube or such.
    I thought it was dumb that Yamcha, 18 and Chaotzu didn't do anything. They actually did show 18 but she didn't fight or anything. Jaco was pretty cool I guess, he mostly served as comic relief though and he kept making references to that prequel manga spin-off. So Bulma has an older sister named Tights... wut. But he wasn't particularly weak either like he took on his own fair share of minions. Tien and Krillin did too, at one point Krillin fired his destructo-disk at a mountain side to crush some minions or something.
    But it really confused me how Roshi was so OP, well at least strong enough to fight these guys.
    I should add that the animation was pretty good too especially the movement and Tien specifically. You could really see that Tien had a distinct fighting style, something I could only describe as what looked like a mix of Mantis Kungfu and Crane Kungfu.

What they really should be doing sometimes, is have an enemy that has something about him that makes him a destroyer of Saiyans or such, its power being something strange. Maybe a demon or such who is an old enemy of the Saiyan race.
    It would take a Namek or human to beat this one, they could succeed where a Saiyan could not.
    Or an enemy with a character related back story to give the motivation for the fight. Which was one of the good things about this movie having a tonne of weaker NPC's thus giving our weaker heroes something to do. My guess is they excluded the other characters because they didn't want to have to voice and animate all of them and give them screen time fighting. But the main minions like Shisami, Tagoma and Sorbet don't do that much. No idea how strong Sorbet is but Shisami and Tagoma were said to be on par with Dodoria and Zarbon (which isn't that much like 30,000).
    Still a wasted opportunity with these three and our other heroes.

For some reason the Buu Saga and Cell Saga barely did this. One would think that with 5 androids plus Cell everyone would have gotten a chance to shine. Babidi's minions were all taken out by Vegeta and Goku, even Dabura wasn't beaten by Gohan. They basically just used these minions to show how stupidly OP Goku and Buu were which was one of the dumbest decisions ever made (Supreme Kai was just going OMG they so strong like every episode). Like Dabura kills Kibito in one blast then turns Piccolo and Krillin into stone and then probably would have over powered Gohan since Gohan is such a lazy stooge. Then Buu murders Dabura like he was nothing, STUUUUPIIIID!

To that end I think that Baby was still a pretty good villain based on backstory and the fact he can possess others. They just handled it poorly and from then on GT went completely down hill.

Either way something that shows that its not just about brute strenght. Its really disappointing that it always comes down to that. It would be mighty impressive if say, Tien would have used the evil containment wave succesfully on Buu. Something like that could really be a viable way to capture an enemy without relying on power. Heck Tien could have improved the technique further so that it wouldnt kill him.

Or Krillin could finally get to land a destructo disc on an enemy that does not regenerate. I do include Frieza in that since he grew his tail back when transforming.
    Humans seem to have better technical skill as they tend to develop some of the more complex moves. Saiyans however value brute force. They could have written this in to at least give humans a chance. The whole point of the series was to show how a low class warrior like Goku could train hard and beat prodigies like Vegeta and Frieza.

Tien in DB had all sorts of crazy powers like growing more hands and making shadow clone jutsu copies of himself. He also has a magical third eye which if I recall correctly allows him to use moves other people use on him. He was easily able to use Kamehameha. In the tournament episodes where he fights Yamcha and Tao Pai Pai he manages to redirect or stop their energy waves when he yells out "haah".
    I find it impossible that after over a decade of training Tien hasn't been able to develop a Tribeam that won't kill him. Other cool moves could be a combination of these like what if Tien used the shadow clones with like Tribeam simultaneously etc or completely new attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Anyone here a fan of DBZ Abdridged as well? Really love how they add comic relief while still sticking to the true show.
    Also it doesn't take Goku 20 epidodes to go through snake way.
    Yes I watch it. To me it's practically its own dub. I also noticed that they quote from the hilariously bad UK dub.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-DVmgRb0v0

Piccolo's name is actually Big Green in this dub. Hence the Little Green in the TFS parody.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; June 30, 2015 at 01:52 PM.

Btw considering that Battle of Gods is Toriyama personal work, is GT even canon at this point?
    I know most other movies basically are not and don't particularly care about that, still...

GT was never technically canon as Toriyama had very little involvement in that show and it was not in the official Manga story line. I think these last two movies directly contradict GT. I felt that Pilaf turning into a child was a direct reference to GT (sort of like a middle finger to GT). I hope Dragon Ball Super completely retcons GT.

Most of the movies don't either except those movies don't fit in the show or the Manga. Take for example the Lord Slug movie which takes place after the Saiyan invasion but before Namek, it can't happen for the simple reason that Piccolo is alive in the movie and Piccolo was supposed to have been killed by Nappa.