Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Attila Caucasian or Asian?!

Default Re: Attila Caucasian or Asian?!

Attila in Rome I B.I.

He doesn't look hideous at all as an Asiatic. East Asiatics were unusual to Europeans at the time period. The fact that he was hugely dreaded makes his appearance Asian by a big chance.

Hae_Shin's Avatar Foederatus

I was going to share the same info. Thank you for sharing Priscus's facts earlier. Attila and Huns were obviously Asians as the source indicates.
    I felt very awkward when I saw the trailer coz they depicted Attila as a Neanderthal I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Petar View Post
    But the only 3 preserved hunnic words are indo-european - strava, medos and I can't remember the third one. Makes the whole topic even more puzzling. And Turkic, I guess you mean, not Turkish.
    It's all highly speculative. Were the Xhiong-hu the original Huns or did they just displaced their neighbours to the west and thus beginning the snowballing effect which reached the Roman empire? Who knows.. I hope the Hunnic army roster includes Goths, Nomads, Slavs, etc. - will be a great faction to play with/against. Kind of like Bactria in Rome II - quality cavalry with a good mix of infantry.

@Avetis: Where is this wax statue from? Hungary?
    Looks like how proto-Bulgarians were portrayed during the Soviet era. Caucasian face with semi-squinted eyes and facial hair like Jafar from Disney's Aladin
    How do you claim that the Hunnic words known are all Indo European?

Suggest you to read this article : Pritsak, Omeljan. 1982. The Hunnic Language of the Attila Clan. Harvard Ukrainian Studies, 6: 428-476.
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; September 27, 2014 at 12:45 AM. Reason: merged

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferHawk View Post
    From the same source so do not pin me on this, you know better

Roman writer Priscus/Jordanes describes Attila[1][2] thusly:
    "Short of stature, with a broad chest and a large head; his eyes were small, his beard thin and sprinkled with grey; and he had a flat nose and tanned skin, showing evidence of his origin."

It is either a dwarf or clearly asian description to me (caucasian normally have small head)
    Lol. Caucasians have the same size heads as everybody else... Or bigger. Its just the bodies that are in better proportion to the head. Much like a donkeys head would be big and mongol where a race horses head would be Caucasian. Wwhich has thhe bigger head?

P.s. I think attila was probably mongoloid. Iirc desscribed at one stage ass being the ugliest people on earth. A by word for ugliness ever since. Perhaps this referred to them being mixed like a dog bitsa.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Was Attila from the Caucasus? If not, he probably wasn't a Caucasian.

Also the ethnographic stuff sucks. The clothing, hairstyle and armours... I think the producers are a fan of BBC's inaccurate Attila documentary.

@Destraex
    It's obvious that Mongoloid race have rounder and bigger head size.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

We only know the Hunnic Language from their names. The "three hunnic words" have all been proven to be Gothic, with Strava being Slavic. Maenchen-Helfen showed that in his On the World of the Huns.

They are Strava, a Slavic word regarding Burial Processions, Medos, which I don't remember what it means, and Kamas, a Gothic word for a kind of drink where beer is mixed with milk.

The Hun Language is Lir-Turkic, and other than Chuvash, only fragments of this language survive. Oghur Turkic and Hunnic may have in fact been the same language.

Here are a few known Hunnic prefixes/suffixes/names (from Helfen, 1973):

-ik: the leader of a Hunnic group. The Al-ik was the leader of the Akatir Huns (Priscus' Acatziri)
    -cur: A commander, with -gur indicating a Tribune-like rank and -zur indicating a Dux-like rank.
    -juq: A standard bearer.

Here's a breakdown:

Dengzich = Daniz-ik
    Uldin = Ultzin, which probably means leader of the Ultinzur Huns
    Mundzuk = Munjuq

There are a myriad of others, like Bas-ik, etc.
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; September 27, 2014 at 05:36 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Hunnic Language is belong to Turkic language family. Like already mentioned by Magister, it was a Lir-Turkic language

Btw, meanings of those 3 words;

Dengzich means "Little Sea" in Turkic
    Uldin or Uldiz means "Star" in Turkic
    Mundzuk or Munjuq means "Bead" in Turkic
    Last edited by PlPs; September 27, 2014 at 07:31 AM.

Hresvelgr's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    They are Strava, a Slavic word regarding Burial Processions, Medos, which I don't remember what it means, and Kamas, a Gothic word for a kind of drink where beer is mixed with milk.
    Doesn't medos just mean mead?

And I'm starting to feel alone in this, but I still don't see how Attila in the trailer doesn't look Asian at all. I still think he looks like a plausible Hun, I don't think CA is ignoring that they're Turkic or something at all.
    I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Hresvelgr View Post
    Doesn't medos just mean mead?

And I'm starting to feel alone in this, but I still don't see how Attila in the trailer doesn't look Asian at all. I still think he looks like a plausible Hun
    I agree. I think they've done a good job, and it fits well with the descriptions we have of him ( small eyes, flat nose, tanned skin, and a thin beard sprinkled with grey ).

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    I agree. I think they've done a good job, and it fits well with the descriptions we have of him ( small eyes, flat nose, tanned skin, and a thin beard sprinkled with grey ).
    But what about the big chest and head? Also I dont think his eyes are small o_O but maybe thats just me.

So maybe more like this::

[with my limited paint skills ]
    Last edited by Ganossa; September 27, 2014 at 09:43 AM.

He looks more like a Neanderthal ...

Quote Originally Posted by PlPs View Post
    Hunnic Language is belong to Turkic language family. Like already mentioned by Magister, it was a Lir-Turkic language

Btw, meanings of those 3 words;

Dengzich means "Little Sea" in Turkic
    Uldin or Uldiz means "Star" in Turkic
    Mundzuk or Munjuq means "Bead" in Turkic
    Ellac= Illig, means country owner.
    Charaton= Karaton, means black dressed, might mean black armored as well.
    Alp Ilutuer of the Caucasian Huns = Alp means hero, warrior and Ilteber is a Turkic lesser ruler title.

Ernach is probably Turkic as well, Er means "man" or "warrior", a common pre suffix in Turkic names, like the father of Osman I "Ertughrul" , not sure about nach.
    Last edited by Tureuki; September 27, 2014 at 11:18 AM.

Default Attila Is Not Germanic! (Fan Art)

In original version of this image Attila really looks like a Germanic King more then a Hunnic Warlord.( Especially his eyes. )

He also reminded me Rollo Lothbrok from Vikings TV series so with my Photoshop skills I tried to do something different hope you enjoy fellow Total War players.
    Last edited by Aura; September 27, 2014 at 11:46 AM.

Nizam's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Attila Is Not Germanic! (Fan Art)

Seems better. Good job. btw you are right.

Ottoman Total Overhaul received the 2nd favorite Overhaul/Compilation Mod - 2016 award!
    by_TotalWarTurkiye

Good

Quote Originally Posted by ikooo123 View Post
    Good
    yes it is better than original

forever_ducale's Avatar Laetus

Great

shouldn't be like chinese eyes but way better

It is not Chinese it is Altaic.

Looks great!!