Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: The Huns are not going to be playable

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Default Re: The Huns are not going to be playable

In my opinion, it's not that big of a deal as I'm sure that the Huns will be playable in custom/MP battles like the Mongols and Timurids were in M2TW. The Huns never established a well ordered political state anyway. They came in, kicked ass, scared the spit out of everyone, then disappeared as quickly as they came.

My main hope is that the Hunnic Confederacy will be depicted correctly. They were far more than elite cavalry/horse archers as they also incorporated the Sarmatians, Gepids, Goths, etc into their confederacy.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...he-huns/page16

Quote Originally Posted by Nico CA View Post
    Hi there,

Thanks for your interest in Total War: ATTILA. It’s always great to hear what you’d like to see. We’re still working on the game at the moment but all playable factions will be announced in the next few months, so please keep an eye on our Facebook, Twitter and forums for official updates.
    Sounds like its still not 100% confirmed.

I don't think its a big deal. Its like the Mongols in M2TW. I'm sure they'll be playable in Custom battles and Multiplayer - but the way theyre considering them in campaign mode means it wont make a lot of sense to play "as them".

If there is no mod to play as the Huns then forget it! I wanted to have a crack at it by driving at the East and then the West after i exact a tribute from both. Indeed i would of thought an option in diplomacy to buy a guaranteed ceasfire for a few years, Or pay them for ceasfire and attack someone else instead with tonnes of gold would be an option like the historical behaviour of Atilla.

There would of been huge derp issues anyways with CA's imcompetence. Number one would be the Roman quality of cavalry. Number two would be can they defend cities or can you still lure them out like idiots when you have a million men at your back? And what kind of Garrison would Rome, Ravenna or the Eastern capital have? They would need to be serious obstacles for ANY faction. But in true TW sense it will probably be 4 militia and a walkover.

Atilla + Darth might perk my interest level. Especially when we can make Atilla and his horde have bigger units.
    3570K 4700mhz cooled with Corsair H80 // Asus Z77 // MSI GTX 580
    16GB 2400mhz DDR3 // Crucial M4 256GB Raid 0 // Dell 2007WFP

Not confirmed even after they said it was confirmed that it was unplayable then playable.

Why CA why?

Quote Originally Posted by Butan View Post
    Not confirmed even after they said it was confirmed that it was unplayable then playable.

Why CA why?
    For once I actually have a little sympathy with CA on this one.

Most of the ruckus has been caused by the fact that they named their game Attila despite the fact that the Huns are an allegedly unplayable faction. The problem for them is, how do they name their new game so that it can be marketed as an original, standalone title when it really isn't? If they had called it Barbarian Invasion II then it would lack originality (it would be too obvious a rehash of the first BI) and it would also suggest that the game was an expansion as opposed to a standalone (since BI was an expansion).

Likewise you might argue that CA could have named the game something like "The Fall of Rome" because that at least would not directly lead customers into believing that the Huns were playable, but in that case the title would be too close to that of Rome II and Fall of the Samurai. Again, this would against suggest a lack of originality, spell expansion instead of standalone and somewhat ignore the fact that the Hunnic invasion is going to be a centre-piece of the game.

Taking this into account, they may have gone with something like "The Dawn of the Dark Ages", but if they had, it is likely that many players would have expected the time span of the game to last beyond the late 5th century AD.

Ultimately I kind of sympathize with CA on this front. I really don't know what they could have called the game that wouldn't have attracted widespread criticism. Calling it Attila and not having the Huns playable seems like a marketing blunder at first, but with retrospect, I don't really see what other title they could have given it that reflects all that they want to achieve with the game whilst at the same time saying "this is an original title and therefore worthy of a higher price tag than an expansion."

The pickle they've got themselves into now is that so many people have complained about Attila not being playable that they may have to divert masses of resources away from their original plan (assuming non-playable Huns was the original plan) in order to appease people who are upset.

BI had Huns playable. That's why people expect it. Not too difficult to understand for hardcore BI fans.

I think it's a good decision. If the Huns were treated like other factions, it wouldn't be very fun. By making it AI only, they can help the horde in a way that will make it an actual challenge.

It's not set in stone yet, guys. Wait for a faction reveal.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Butan View Post

Why CA why?
    Where did they say it was playable ?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

I don't care of huns. I would play only WRE and bring back the old religion and traditions. I would, optionally, have a go to ERE.
    So CA no problem for me.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Perhaps Ca are testing the waters to see what ridiculous plan people will accept. Having a game called `Atilla` without being able to play as the Huns as default is like having a racing game called `Ferrari` and not actually being able to drive a Ferrari as default. Instead you get to drive a mini until you buy the DLC. Dodgy and even unethical if they try to sell it separately or as a pre-order incentive.

It does nothing for their rep if they continue with that idea.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I'm looking forward to playing as the Huns above all.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

I think the huns will be different due to the fact that they will aly and confederate witha multiple factions. So they will grow and grow.

i like the concept and i think there will rpbably be a similar faction playable, the vandals or some other steppe tribe

Ecthelion's Avatar Great Ramen Connoisseur

You would think that a major point like this would be confirmed in a release statement.
    Rather than "like OMG OMG fire! Fire everywhere! Hey look gaiz, the fire SPREADS, look, it spreads!!! OMG isn't that so cool, don't you want to buy the game now?"

Oh CA, always catering to the 12 year old that never plays your games.
    This is my signature. Isn't it awesome?

They were even there in Barbarian invasion and that game started in 355AD I believe. I played as them. They were good but I did find it boring because i like more formation combat.

In SAI i found it very challeging to find the Black and White Huns .
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Leving View Post
    Likewise you might argue that CA could have named the game something like "The Fall of Rome" because that at least would not directly lead customers into believing that the Huns were playable, but in that case the title would be too close to that of Rome II and Fall of the Samurai. Again, this would against suggest a lack of originality, spell expansion instead of standalone and somewhat ignore the fact that the Hunnic invasion is going to be a centre-piece of the game.
    Maybe the reason to not call it "The Fall of Rome" is the same why there is not a Campaign about Hideyoshis attempt to conquer Korea. The same way it would hurt the feelings of the Koreans, it would hurt in this case the feelings of the Italians

Proud to be a real Prussian.

I for one was hoping to play as Attila, having to unify surrounding tribes and then roll westward with a massivve horde. I don't care about custom battles, for me the campaign is where the game is. I can see the appeal of impending doom and having to defend against the hordes from the east, but I think most would also appreciate the appeal of starting with a few tribesmen, forging an army and attacking existing empires with a lot of territory, like the WRE.
    The afore-mentioned personage has been marked for honorable execution
    in accordance to the lawful tradition and practice of the Morag Tong Guild.
    The Bearer of this non-disputable document has official sanctioned license
    to kill the afore-mentioned personage.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789