Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Total War™: ATTILA Announced

Sir Sloaks's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Total War™: ATTILA Announced

Looking forward to this, and hopefully some more patches for R2 as well.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaton View Post
    Constantinopolis wasn´t called that, because pesky greeks changed it´s name from the beautiful sounding "Nova Roma". No it was originally called Byzantium before Constantin changed it to Constantinople. But I´m sure that gamers who aren´t familiar with history and geography would have known that, if CA would have included Byzantium, an important city for grain,in the main Campaign, just like in the first Rome Total War.

Even the Turks called it officialy Constantinople or "Kostantîniyye" until the 30's....
    I don't think they'll called it Konstantinoupolis, but since they used regional names in Rome II, it won't be out of the question. However I am certain New Rome or any of its iterations won't be used, because Constantinople was already in official usage by the early 5th Century, and it's the name that is most commonly used.

Hresvelgr's Avatar Campidoctor

It's my understanding that despite not being an official language of the empire Greek was still a prestige language throughout Rome's history. Am I right? Seems like Constantinople or whatever the 5th Century form was served as the name in common usage perhaps.
    I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by AndariusHaliusScipio View Post
    Could've done ancient Greece, Trojan War, play with the likes of Theseus and such, Amazon invasion of Athens, go up maybe even to the rise of Persia.
    Please...I want this so much <3
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; September 27, 2014 at 10:31 PM.

Being able to burn cities down to a "hole in the ground" (per CA) is interesting and historical as an attacker option, but allowing the player to do it to their own cities in order to leave scorched earth behind as they retreat? Did that ever actually happen in this time period? And will the AI be able to do this too?
    EBII Council

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    Being able to burn cities down to a "hole in the ground" (per CA) is interesting and historical as an attacker option, but allowing the player to do it to their own cities in order to leave scorched earth behind as they retreat? Did that ever actually happen in this time period? And will the AI be able to do this too?
    If I remember correctly, the Helvetii did when they left their homes to migrate further into Gaul.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

I do not see Romans firing any of their cities, even less Rome itself. Yes I know Nero and all that but it is not the same case.

Buy the way, Helvetii burnt their land to force the reluctant part of their tribe to move and invade the Gaul, so it was not a defensive strategy.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; September 28, 2014 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaton
    Constantinopolis wasn´t called that, because pesky greeks changed it´s name from the beautiful sounding "Nova Roma". No it was originally called Byzantium before Constantin changed it to Constantinople. But I´m sure that gamers who aren´t familiar with history and geography would have known that, if CA would have included Byzantium, an important city for grain,in the main Campaign, just like in the first Rome Total War.
    Personally I don't find the Greeks particularly pesky, but Byzantion had already been renamed to Nova Roma, by the time the game begins. It's a pity that Byzantion wasn't included in Rome2; I blame the way the engine handles the correlations between CM and the BMs for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaton
    Even the Turks called it officialy Constantinople or "Kostantîniyye" until the 30's....
    Even the Roman subjects of greek heritage called it Nova Roma officially, in the 4th century AD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos
    However I am certain New Rome or any of its iterations won't be used, because Constantinople was already in official usage by the early 5th Century
    The game starts in the 4th century.

I cant describe my feelings! Its the best CA Announced video i have ever seen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Olegshmarov View Post
    I cant describe my feelings! Its the best CA Announced video i have ever seen!!!
    after seeing all the trailers for rome 2 I am convinced they could make a half decent feature length

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    It looks like Hagia Sophia is painted in that brown-red color it has now, rather than the grey color it would have had then.
    Actually someone already found the solutions to the quiz!
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaton View Post

The Official name of te city AFTER Constantine moved the capital there was Nova Roma!
    But remember that Constantine the Great became a "Saint" for Christianity. So the population started to call the city "The City of Constantine" (gr: Κωνσταντινου Πολις) that became (gr:Κωνσταντινουπολις/Constantinoupolis/Constantinople). Its true that Ottomans did NOT change the city's name!!!!!!!!!!!untill recently after the Neo Turks movement!
    Remember the Mehmed II the Qonqueror named him self as Sultan of Turks and Aytocrator ton Romaeon!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So modern Turks selebrate the fall of Constantinople but actually they offend Mehemd's legacy when they call the city with another greek name IS tin Pollin (Instambul).
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

Cool, features like family trees and traits is why Medieval II total war is the last I bought, good to see them come back. I also like this time period.
    Hopefully this new installment will also go back to the roots when TW games were easily modable.

Junaidi83 de Bodemloze's Avatar Dont Mess With Me

Hopping its will take all experience from rome 2 development, better release i hope
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass
    Under Proud Patronage of Shankbot de Bodemloze

From my understanding of it latin was the official and legal language of the Roman Empire but that the eastern parts of the state primarily used greek as their lingua franca. As such the roman empire had a language barrier in which the western parts spoke latin and the eastern parts spoke greek.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hibernian View Post
    Personally I don't find the Greeks particularly pesky, but Byzantion had already been renamed to Nova Roma, by the time the game begins. It's a pity that Byzantion wasn't included in Rome2; I blame the way the engine handles the correlations between CM and the BMs for that. Even the Roman subjects of greek heritage called it Nova Roma officially, in the 4th century AD. The game starts in the 4th century.
    I dont think the name "Nova Roma" really took off as an official name for the city. It pretty much became constantinople immediately. Symbolically it was touted as a second rome.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hibernian View Post
    Personally I don't find the Greeks particularly pesky, but Byzantion had already been renamed to Nova Roma, by the time the game begins. It's a pity that Byzantion wasn't included in Rome2; I blame the way the engine handles the correlations between CM and the BMs for that. Even the Roman subjects of greek heritage called it Nova Roma officially, in the 4th century AD. The game starts in the 4th century.
    When? The end of the 4th century?

❋ Flavius Belisarius ❋'s Avatar Semisalis

It was called Constantinople, the City of Constantin because he was proclaimed sacred in the Christian religion. And then people stop calling the City, the New Rome, but the City of Constantin and they keep it like this.
    The description Last of the Romans (Ultimus Romanorum) has historically been given to any man thought to embody the values of Ancient Roman civilization —values which, by implication, became extinct on his death. It has been used to describe a number of individuals.
    Flavius Belisarius (505?–565), one of the greatest generals of the Byzantine Empire and one of the most acclaimed generals in history. He was also the only Byzantine general to be granted a Roman Triumph.

Seems interesting. Though personally, I thought Empire 2 was next

nce_wht_guy's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Fusilier_07 View Post
    Seems interesting. Though personally, I thought Empire 2 was next
    I bet it's next.
    Support Russia!

kamikazee786's Avatar Senator

Can someone please tell me if any of these features such as the UI, Family tree, region burning, governors will come into the main campaign game aswell ?
    If you work to earn a living, why then do you work yourself to death?