Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using pause during battles

Default Re: Using pause during battles

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Not really; real warleaders of the time would have briefed their subordinate commanders with a general plan for the battle, and would have messengers to send to them during the conflict in order to change things.
    That's not possible ingame and besides, a good leader should not follow his battle plan which he created beforehand when he can see developments into which he can adapt or exploit the enemies' weaknesses. What would you do if you get your messages from subordinates on the left flank who need reinforcements desperately if the ones on the right flank tell you the exact same thing (which is represented ingame through your unit cards)? As I'm no genius like Alexander or Hannibal or the computer, I need quite a bit of extra time to assess some tricky situations better given the restraints on the camera.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

I am using pause a lot especially because I love to watch the details of combats in various places in the the battle line and without pause I would certainly loose in ine wing while watching the units fighting on another. While the game is paused I am also used to give the commands to my units I have never think about it as cheating as the pause feature is included in the game and you do not need to type any console command to achieve it. I almost never accelerate becuse i like to watch marching/pursuing units and vegetation while waiting and enjoying the atmosphere of the battle. I am just kind of war-romantic

Quote Originally Posted by Suite View Post
    That's not possible ingame and besides, a good leader should not follow his battle plan which he created beforehand when he can see developments into which he can adapt or exploit the enemies' weaknesses. What would you do if you get your messages from subordinates on the left flank who need reinforcements desperately if the ones on the right flank tell you the exact same thing (which is represented ingame through your unit cards)? As I'm no genius like Alexander or Hannibal or the computer, I need quite a bit of extra time to assess some tricky situations better given the restraints on the camera.
    You've completely misconstrued my point: which was that using the general cam and having no clue what's going on is not a more "realistic" approach.

Quote Originally Posted by mr mojo risin View Post
    As i am bulding the battle AI This intrigues me ...., how many of you use pause to survey battles ... during the battle?
    never pause (i accelerate time quite often though).

I do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12