Thread: Question regarding Hoplites/Phalanxes

Fubar2k5's Avatar Libertus

Default Question regarding Hoplites/Phalanxes

Will the greek hoplites be able to form phalanx in 0.8 (ie. have a long spear and have the special ability to form it, just like the Macedonians) or will they be using the much shorter, overhand spear?

Just wondering about this, because in 0.74 they were able to form a phalanx, but i'd much rather have them fight overhand.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Fubar2k5; October 31, 2006 at 08:43 AM.

Default Re: Question regarding Hoplites/Phalanxes

Quote Originally Posted by Fubar2k5
    Will the greek hoplites be able to form phalanx in 0.8 (ie. have a long spear and have the special ability to form it, just like the Macedonians) or will they be using the much shorter, overhand spear?

Just wondering about this, because in 0.74 they were able to form a phalanx, but i'd much rather have them fight overhand.
    I can't answer for the team, but I don't think we can expect any changes here. However, the new Spartan hoplites will fight overhand.

We've got a good solution for the player - just click 'defend' and they will squeeze together and lift their spears above their shields to start jabbing down at their enemies, over their shields. When you encounter them as AI is where we are having trouble still I think.

Oh, so if you click 'guard mode' they will fight overhand, but what if guard mode isn't enabled?

I believe they fight with their swords then.

Wow that is really cool ! Oh man now i really can't wait to play!

Protector Domesticus

Out of curiosity, how do you do this particular piece of unit-design wizardry ?

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    Out of curiosity, how do you do this particular piece of unit-design wizardry ?
    Man it's unbeleivable, it's like they are hacking or something

Protector Domesticus

I've seen the trick mentioned with a few other mods (or somewhere else anyway), so I was kind of curious. I wonder if the weapon swap trick utilizes that mysterious short_pike attribute (which I've seen mentioned in context of somewhat similar ideas)...?

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

I hope it's not short_pike as it is by far the buggiest formation in RTW...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Please be advised that there are 2 types of greek hoplites planned in the game. One is the Iphikratides Hoplite (the one in 0.74 that was a new type of hoplite influenced by the military reforms of Iphikrates) that uses underhand + sword with the phalanx atribute and the classical-type Hoplite (that will be added in 0.8) which uses overhand spear + sword without phalanx atribute (no short_pike atribute here) and this last one is the one that TA is mentioning.

So, the reply you have recieved is slightly incorret and the question you have made really has two answers. No, the Iphikratides Hoplite will not be replaced, but the classical Hoplite will be available too in 0.8.

So, will there be a removal of the classical hoplite after the Iphikrates reforms? Or will both be recruitable throughout the campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by Fubar2k5
    So, will there be a removal of the classical hoplite after the Iphikrates reforms? Or will both be recruitable throughout the campaign?
    I am not sure of the actual dates, but Iphikrates lived a century or so before the start of the game. So both Iphikratean and classical hoplites will be available from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens
    I am not sure of the actual dates, but Iphikrates lived a century or so before the start of the game. So both Iphikratean and classical hoplites will be available from the start.
    Correct. Both will be available from the start for the KH. Just different uses for them.

Regard the Iphikratides Hoplitai as a prototype of the macedonian phalanx (because that is what it effectivelly was - Philip II used many of Iphikratides' ideas to create it's macedonian phalanxes) available exclusivelly to KH with the classical hoplites in the role that the Hypaspistai have in a successor army.

k_raso's Avatar Biarchus

What about taxeis hoplitai?

Are you going to remove them from the game?

Are you keeping them in the game as they are?

Are you going to keep them in the game, but removing them the phalanx atribute (In order to make them fight like a classical hoplite, and not like an Iphykratean one)?

Thanx
    Last edited by k_raso; November 11, 2006 at 10:33 AM.

ok i downloaded the alexander mod thing and it mucked up my rometw i went to add/remove programs setup.exe has encountered probs every time so i tryed to do a system restore but nothing happens when i try to play it says ''cannot find 3d audio i tryed to deleting the folder but the install button is still greyed out help!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by k_raso
    What about taxeis hoplitai?

Are you going to remove them from the game?

Are you keeping them in the game as they are?

Are you going to keep them in the game, but removing them the phalanx atribute (In order to make them fight like a classical hoplite, and not like an Iphykratean one)?

Thanx
    Yes. In regard to the Taxeis Hoplitai, they will be like the Classical Hoplitai. They are citizen levies trained in the old hoplite techniques used since the classical period in Hellas.