Thread: Divide and Conquer - Version 0.52 Released

Default Re: Divide and Conquer Public Beta Release - Version 0.51 Released

Well reinstalling medieval and redownloading the mod information didn't work, no one has any ideas that might help me? I hate to leave after spending like 40+ hours on this campaign but it just won't progress beyond that point without having an unspecified error.

I just found a very first bug in 0.51 version. If you play as Dale, and if you train dwarf units, these new dwarf officers will have silver skins. I hope my post was helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcorkan View Post
    Well reinstalling medieval and redownloading the mod information didn't work, no one has any ideas that might help me? I hate to leave after spending like 40+ hours on this campaign but it just won't progress beyond that point without having an unspecified error.
    I too was able to run the end turn just fine, and nothing in the log jumped out at me as being suspect. I suppose the only suggestion that I can make is making sure UAC is disabled on your medieval 2 folder (more info on that is in the OP, I believe). Other than that, I have no ideas. If you want, I could post a save at the start of the next turn (the end turn required no input from me), and you could see if you can go from there.

Libertus

Isengard is making good progress against Rohan. Edoras is ready to fall then the Ents show up and kick me right in the orc Any advice on defeating them? I also have balista towers built in Isengard but did not see any fire in the Ent assault. Do i need to develop something else for them to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Analyser View Post
    Thank you!

Well actually i ment how-to-not-get-destroyed-by-having-no-economy ,but i still appreciate your suggestion , because they've just called an invasion against dale :/ .

Summing up : any advice to restore my economy? I've tried to go full retard and only spend on trade and farming buildings, but that didnt work. I've also tried expanding as fast as i can , but neither it did .
    Ah, I see. Unfortunately, I have never played as Dale in DaC, but I suppose I can try giving you some general TATW economic advise.

In general, I find that I have to balance expansion and economic upgrading. Basically, I expand as much as I can (without overextending by defensive capabilities), while spending any extra money I have on improvements (remember, money that is just sitting in the treasury is doing nothing for you). Also, I prioritize roads and farms over markets because they tend to provide more income per turn (plus the roads help your army get to new conquests faster). Like I said though, I haven't played as Dale, so I don't know how challenging this balance is for them.

Another thing I do is get my diplomat(s) out there to not only get trade rights with everyone, but to sell map information. Typically, I find it better to try to get a little money for my map (that I can maybe then put to work in my economy) rather than simply getting there map. Also, spreading out your diplomats can trigger more "contact faction" missions from the council of nobles, which can be an easy way to get more cash.

One more thing. If you have an opportunity to conquer a wealthier settlement (or any settlement, really) but are afraid you can't hold it, take it anyway. Sack it, demolish the buildings, then leave. This can get you quite a bit of cash to work with.

I hope you find some useful advice in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Analyser View Post
    Thank you!

Well actually i ment how-to-not-get-destroyed-by-having-no-economy ,but i still appreciate your suggestion , because they've just called an invasion against dale :/ .

Summing up : any advice to restore my economy? I've tried to go full retard and only spend on trade and farming buildings, but that didnt work. I've also tried expanding as fast as i can , but neither it did .
    Dale is tricky to get up and running (this is deliberate; rebuilding after the destruction caused by Smaug, and later the Easterlings' invasion, took the men of Dale many years). But still Dale, Esgaroth and, surprisingly, Grasgard have the potential to be pretty serious money makers positioned as they are.

I'm actually in the midst of a Dale campaign at the moment and I've begun pushing into Mordor. The challenge has been that Rohan was destroyed and Gondor lost Minas Tirith within 3 turns of one another, so Mordor and Isengard have just exploded out of control!

Some early tips: Take the town next to Biarn's fort ASAP and get a Town Hall in there so his bodyguard get free upkeep, then leave 4 units in the fort so they also get free upkeep. Also place any units near Dale and Esgaroth that are not getting free upkeep in the two forts there - again for more free upkeep units (seeing a pattern yet?). Sail a small force south down the river to snatch up Ilanin (wooden castle) before Dorwinion can beat you to it - taking Carvarad, south of it a bit, is.. possible but you have to get lucky and hope Dorwinion don't gun for it immediately with Nurwe and his company, and this may also tempt Rhun's wrath before you're really in any sort of shape to fight them. Disband any and all units that you cannot get free upkeep for in settlements and will not fit in the forts' own free upkeep slots.

You should be just in the black now so you can concentrate on building up economical buildings. Dale doesn't have any immediate neighbouring enemies so you can leave your military alone for now (though keep one eye on the road along the eastern border of Mirkwood in case Dol Guldur pushes the Elves aside and comes up that way). Paved Roads in Dale itself and a Merchant's Wharf in Esgaroth should be high priority as they'll give your economy a very large jump start. Building more ports along the river will improve trade income to all settlements connected to them so they're great as well.

When your economy is in good shape and it's finally time to expand (this wasn't until about turn 30 for me!) don't spread yourself too thin by trying to take on Rhun and Dol Guldur at the same time (like I did!). Unless Dol Guldur has pushed right up to your borders go after Rhun first and try to capture all of the settlements around the Sea of Rhun for a massive boost to economy from the very valuable trade around and across it. Your Generals' Royal Archers bodyguards have armour-piercing missiles so they can really put a hurt on those infamous 'golden nightmare' bodyguards of theirs.
    Last edited by Hummingbird; August 23, 2015 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GetScared View Post
    After playing for a quite a bit as the dwarves of erebor i just want to to say that I think the Mattock warriors are very underpowered for how much they cost.
    I gave them a buff myself, added 1 to their charge, 1 to armour and 1 to shield (its logical because of the shield on their back that they should have it as a stat)

The shield stat is what primarily protects from missiles correct? I found that the mattock warriors were dropping like flies at times. After these three buffs i feel like they are much more balanced personally.
    I may have to try that. I started an Erebor campaign and also tested them out in a variety of custom battles, and the Mattocks tend to get eaten alive by other melee units, even light cav destroy's them (though their info scroll says they are supposed to be great in prolonged melee)...

edit:
    thinking about it, when I did a Dwarf campaign in MOS they also tended to take huge casualties for little return.
    Last edited by Infidel144; August 23, 2015 at 06:48 PM.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

The settlement is nothing but a plaza in the forest. That's it.

For the deployent problems, I have already fixed it in my submod.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Nibelung View Post
    While playing Imladris VH/H and after about 18 regions, my newer cities wont grow higher than 'Large Town'

I understand that 'Wooden Castles' and towns with 'Reduced Capabilities' are nerfed, so is this intentional?
    It depends on which settlements you are referring to. Morva Tarth and Dol Brin, for example, only go to large town, while Annon-en-Orod can develop into a large city.

I love you guys.

I've been playing TATW and various sub mods, mostly MOS and DAC since.. well, don't remember, seems like forever. I still come back to these mods after shorter or longer breaks and I think I'll never completely stop playing them.

It is incredible to see that you guys are still working on it. Amazing work. Simpy amazing.

Much love!

Aragorn was on his way to Dunharrow, when I got a 'family message' which said that "The king of the Dead" was born. I can't wait till that kid grows up so I can use him. Though I hope this doesn't cause any issues when I get the actual 'King of the Dead'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This kid.jpg  

Just finished an Imladris campaign at turn 161, taking my sweet time. I didn't end with the 40 settlements because I felt that was extreme for Imladris, but did destroy the 3 factions. Had only 7 settlements until the barracks event and then simultaneously wrapped up the OoMM and Angmar. After that, I got the ring and sent 2 godlike stacks with ultra elites to kill Mordor. Those 2 stacks won battle after battle of ~30 losses/2000+ kills; they oblitemurdered about 30 different stacks for fun until destroying the ring. House rule was 1 general per stack. Also, I'm not sure Smiths of Eregion can die, ever. They just bear maul everything other than Olog Hai.

The campaign had good balance; once again I almost think elite recruitment was too easy or the units were too cheap. I could have afforded a 3rd stack if I wanted to. Considering we're talking elite elves, that would be another walking orc massacre I could send wherever I pleased. General map balance was fantastic. The Ents and Rohan actually died out on turn 155 and Umbar had a chunk of western Gondor. The crux is that I want to play a hard Elves campaign that requires tough logistical decisions as to where to send troops. The best way I can think of doing this is by raising upkeep and/or limiting recruitment.

Balista towers don't work in custom Settlements such as Isegard,Erebor etc. As far for the Ents here is the strategy for easy win.Crossbowmen tear apart the Ents,they fall down like flies BUT you must follow some certain strategy because if you place them on the ground Ents will crash them quickly once they get in.First of all have one unit behind Isengard to work as AI reinforcements.Place the crossbowmen up on the wall left and right from the gate.Now when the battle starts the Ents will start moving in the direction the reinforcements are coming away from the catapults which is the main key of our plan here.Reinforcements by the way will never arrive due to no path,they will only reach some certain point till they find rock terain they can't pass through,that's why we need only one.Catapults will first fire at your gate before attacking the walls with your crossbowmen.Once the gate is down have ready behind it 3 units of wargs and quickly order them to attack the catapults.Wargs will deal with them easily so your crossbowmen will remain safe up on the walls.Last but not least place behind the gate some spear units to hold the Ents there for you so your crossbowmen can finish the job.Of course you can follow up lots of different strategies just remember crossbowmen is their daddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazaroth View Post
    Balista towers don't work in custom Settlements such as Isegard,Erebor etc. As far for the Ents here is the strategy for easy win.Crossbowmen tear apart the Ents,they fall down like flies BUT you must follow some certain strategy because if you place them on the ground Ents will crash them quickly once they get in.First of all have one unit behind Isengard to work as AI reinforcements.Place the crossbowmen up on the wall left and right from the gate.Now when the battle starts the Ents will start moving in the direction the reinforcements are coming away from the catapults which is the main key of our plan here.Reinforcements by the way will never arrive due to no path,they will only reach some certain point till they find rock terain they can't pass through,that's why we need only one.Catapults will first fire at your gate before attacking the walls with your crossbowmen.Once the gate is down have ready behind it 3 units of wargs and quickly order them to attack the catapults.Wargs will deal with them easily so your crossbowmen will remain safe up on the walls.Last but not least place behind the gate some spear units to hold the Ents there for you so your crossbowmen can finish the job.Of course you can follow up lots of different strategies just remember crossbowmen is their daddy.
    For Stone Dog that asked.

Quote Originally Posted by COOBelisarius View Post
    Just finished an Imladris campaign at turn 161, taking my sweet time. I didn't end with the 40 settlements because I felt that was extreme for Imladris, but did destroy the 3 factions. Had only 7 settlements until the barracks event and then simultaneously wrapped up the OoMM and Angmar. After that, I got the ring and sent 2 godlike stacks with ultra elites to kill Mordor. Those 2 stacks won battle after battle of ~30 losses/2000+ kills; they oblitemurdered about 30 different stacks for fun until destroying the ring. House rule was 1 general per stack. Also, I'm not sure Smiths of Eregion can die, ever. They just bear maul everything other than Olog Hai.

The campaign had good balance; once again I almost think elite recruitment was too easy or the units were too cheap. I could have afforded a 3rd stack if I wanted to. Considering we're talking elite elves, that would be another walking orc massacre I could send wherever I pleased. General map balance was fantastic. The Ents and Rohan actually died out on turn 155 and Umbar had a chunk of western Gondor. The crux is that I want to play a hard Elves campaign that requires tough logistical decisions as to where to send troops. The best way I can think of doing this is by raising upkeep and/or limiting recruitment.
    So with only 2 stacks you crossed Isengard unchallenged,you reached Mordor,defeated 30 stacks,you took Minas Morgul and Cirith Ungol or Morranon and Isenmouthe,depending which road you took,you reached mount doom and still had enough troops to wait there the needed turns to destroy the ring just like that.Could you post some screenshot of your war path?
    Last edited by ElvenKind; August 24, 2015 at 09:31 AM. Reason: removed inflamatory comment.

I've been getting a game crash while playing as thranduils realm.

Its after a battle against the faction leader of the shadow of mirkwood (khamul?) when I have killed him the game crashes just after the loading screen into the campaign map.

I have killed a nazgul general of theirs previously(don't remember of its khamul) And the script that resurrects them appeared just fine.

Sorry don't have any more info at the moment as i am at work.

Edit:forgot to add i auto resolved the battle and and was able to carry on fine but khamul wasn't killed.
    Last edited by SwiftThorn; August 24, 2015 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravado View Post
    I too was able to run the end turn just fine, and nothing in the log jumped out at me as being suspect. I suppose the only suggestion that I can make is making sure UAC is disabled on your medieval 2 folder (more info on that is in the OP, I believe). Other than that, I have no ideas. If you want, I could post a save at the start of the next turn (the end turn required no input from me), and you could see if you can go from there.
    Johnny if you could do that i would really appreciate it, i think the problem has to do with the fact that i forgot to register windows, and during that turn it shut my windows program down and demanded i register, ever since that happened it hasn't been working. Not sure what else it could be, i've tried every suggestion on here UAC is also off.

I Play this submode for a very long time (since beta), but never wrote something in this forum.

First to say: Amazing, thank you all for making this amazing submode. This must cost you a lot of time , and you do it all for free. Thanks a lot!!!!! The level of detail is amazing (about the lore). Really Really great.

Questions:
    1. I played Rhun campane recently and i understand , that they are not a ship faction. But isn't it a bit strange, that you live next to a huge see and never came up with the idear to build ships? Dale has ships and they block my ports and I cant do anyting against it. It would be as well nice to build ships to move your trooops mutch faster.
    2. Is it a mechanic thing, that archers doesnt shoot at units when they are engaged in meele with 1of your units? (Avoid friendly fire?)
    3. Why did you took the mountain roud in the Misty Mountains away? Just of curriosity. Helpd the OotMM a lot.
    4. How does the emigration works for the elves? Do they lose population?
    5. Why aren't the trolls week against pikmen or in general spear units? They count as infantry i know. But why?
    6. Is it on purpose that some ports block the rive and you cant sail by?

Things i want to point out.
    1. It make sense to give the Mirkwood forest roads, it makes the AI move better. It personaly like the idear of walking in the forest with my troops without roads. Gives the thing a more guerillia style fight. Isn't it possible to make the forest full of roads and make the invisible? Just a idear i came up. Maybe it's silly.
    2. In Many of the costum settelments the camera is hard to manage. It happens often when it's a Cave. You actualy can shoot inside the Cave. Is this a engine thing, or is it possible to fix?
    Sidequestion about this toppic: I would love to help you guyes to improve the custom settelment's , but i have no experience about that stuff. Is it worth to learn it and maybe try to solve problems i find? For example the dwarven wall.... You cant walk on all of them, just part of it. I would like to solve it. Or Minas Tirith. That you can't walk on all part's of the wall.
    3. Some of the Infantry picture's doesn't look very nice (Uruks of dol Guldur). Naive question. Do you just do Screenshoot of the unit's and put the in the file? I could do some of them. Just if you want.
    4. =) Could you take out the picture of the dwarve rideing a pig? It hurts my head every time i see it.

Again. Thanks a lot for your work and your time. Im very thankfull for time i can spend playing this game (my girlfriend's isn't)

Best regards

c.l.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazaroth View Post
    So with only 2 stacks you crossed Isengard unchallenged,you reached Mordor,defeated 30 stacks,you took Minas Morgul and Cirith Ungol or Morranon and Isenmouthe,depending which road you took,you reached mount doom and still had enough troops to wait there the needed turns to destroy the ring just like that.Could you post some screenshot of your war path?
    I'm rather surprised that you've just jumped to the conclusion that he's lying here...

2 full stacks of High Elven elite units could very easily accomplish this; it's not like you'd face all of Mordor's stacks in a single battle. Hell I'm in the process of defeating Mordor with 3 stacks of Dalians in my game. Elite archers are massively punishing against Mordor due to their relatively poor armour and lack of cavalry. And, yes, High Elven Eldarinwe units and Eregion Smiths can mop up the survivors of the archers barrage with virtually nil losses, easy.
    Last edited by ElvenKind; August 24, 2015 at 09:31 AM.

Yeah i believe it too, I could do that with 2 full stacks of elite dunedain archers as well. If you know how to skirmish those elite archers units are super powerful and you'll more often than not come out with no losses or very few against orcs even when heavily outnumbered.