Thread: Somatouphylakes Strategou

Telémakhos's Avatar Libertus

Default Somatouphylakes Strategou

Brief historical/gameplay question for the team:

In EB1, Hellenistic/diadachoi factions had bodyguard cavalry with pretty heavy armor--iron cuirass, mail sleeves, etc. Epeiros, it was noted in the unit card, equipped its heavy cavalry with less armor but they were faster as a result. This concept seems to have been carried over along the hetairoi/xystophoroi line in EB2--some factions get armored bodyguards, and some, like Epeiros, get decidedly light cavalry for a bodyguard. Is this just a 1.0 situation, or is this a newer historical interpretation that will hold for future releases? A secondary/related question is why the hetairoi in general are less heavily armored in EB2--again, whether this is actually more accurate in light of new research or whether it's just the case for the first release. Thanks, as always, for such a magnificent game.

Default Re: Somatouphylakes Strategou

The Epeiros bodyguard unit looks like a placeholder to me... it has the same stats as other Hellenic bodyguard units. The team may be working on new models. I am not completely sure, because there are other heavy cavalry models who could have represented them...

Yeah i'm also wondering about this... If it's really a placeholder, or were those units just less armoured than the regular Hetairoi

gustave's Avatar Semisalis
    Patrician

The epeiros bodyguard is indeed a placeholder.

Quote Originally Posted by gustave View Post
    The epeiros bodyguard is indeed a placeholder.
    Good to know. Are the less-armored hetairoi in EB2 going to be the norm? Or maybe there are armor upgrade models in the works?

Less armoured? They look pretty much the same way as they did in EBI, don´t they?

By the way, gustave, who is the guy on the right side in your signature pic. Don´t think I´ve seen him in EBII so far. Curious minds want to know

gustave's Avatar Semisalis
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by malibu.stacey View Post
    Less armoured? They look pretty much the same way as they did in EBI, don´t they?

By the way, gustave, who is the guy on the right side in your signature pic. Don´t think I´ve seen him in EBII so far. Curious minds want to know
    He's one of the roman generals

Quote Originally Posted by malibu.stacey View Post

No way! Chain sleeves, iron cuirass in EBI... aside from the armor variation within units in EBII, I get the impression that the new hetairoi are a new interpretation. Or that there will be armor upgrade models tied to reforms. Which would be sweet.