Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are trade rights good for ?

Default Re: What are trade rights good for ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    this philosophy doesnt sit well with the EB concept, imho, its too gamey. can you mod it so that at the very least the AI doesnt propose trade when it is physically impossible?
    yes eventually.

I started a new campaign, and what I observe is that *any* diplomatic contact starts a process where diplomatic relations become worse and worse. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Thuycidides View Post
    I started a new campaign, and what I observe is that *any* diplomatic contact starts a process where diplomatic relations become worse and worse. Anyone else?
    nope ..explain further your actions...which faction are you and what happened ..ta.

Yup. As Seleucid, anyone I trade with (doesn't matter if they have a trade route or not...both are the same)...or anyone...the relation gets worse and worse. I'm trying to be allied with Egypt, but even when I do nothing for many turns...the relation gets worse and worse until I need to "bribe" them with 10,000 money to go back to good.

Not like R2TW where any diplomatic relation (that is positive (friendly)) makes the faction like you more and more.

It is a Medieval 2/RTW thing (dunno about ETW or Shogun 2)...the game forces diplomacy to get worse and worse, even in vanilla without any mods. Its to force you to conquer everyone and be at war, with no friends or allies.

@usernametaken Dont forget about the reputation factor of m2. Rtw had it but it was hidden, im m2 you can check it on the diplo screen. Having a bad reputation (less than mixed) slowly decreases relations with all other factions. It works both ways though, good rep with raise all factions relations.

The easiest ways to raise reputation are by forming new alliances, occupying new conquests and releasing prisoners. Each action raises rep slightly (though not always to the next category I.e. reliable, very reliable, trustworthy, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelwindin View Post
    @usernametaken Dont forget about the reputation factor of m2. Rtw had it but it was hidden, im m2 you can check it on the diplo screen. Having a bad reputation (less than mixed) slowly decreases relations with all other factions. It works both ways though, good rep with raise all factions relations.

The easiest ways to raise reputation are by forming new alliances, occupying new conquests and releasing prisoners. Each action raises rep slightly (though not always to the next category I.e. reliable, very reliable, trustworthy, etc.
    Yes i've noticed this too. It seems that executing prisoners or sacking/exterminating settlements gets you on the bad side with everyone. Also, i suspect if faction A has good relations with faction B but you, faction C have low relations with faction B then faction A will slowly dislike you. I keep getting messages of factions on the other side of the map lowering their relations with me even though i have absolutely no trade rights or connections with them.
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Quote Originally Posted by spanish_emperor View Post
    Yes i've noticed this too. It seems that executing prisoners or sacking/exterminating settlements gets you on the bad side with everyone. Also, i suspect if faction A has good relations with faction B but you, faction C have low relations with faction B then faction A will slowly dislike you. I keep getting messages of factions on the other side of the map lowering their relations with me even though i have absolutely no trade rights or connections with them.
    please explain which faction it was on the other side of the map, which faction you are , who there allys are and who yours are..and who there enemys are and who yours are....usually there is a connection that can be fathomed out through the players actions.

Ah, I see. It's because I'm not letting prisoners go. Good to know.

It was common practice in the ancient world to enslave prisoners, and that was considered just deserts for not fighting to the death.
    Last edited by Thuycidides; September 21, 2014 at 09:40 PM.

I made some experiments with releasing prisoners after a battle. The first diplomacy message I received after 3 releases was that my relations were worse with a faction I have never been at war with.

Is this a consequence of playing the VH campaign? How are diplomatic relations at M?

Ah, I see. It's because I'm not letting prisoners go. Good to know.

It was common practice in the ancient world to enslave prisoners, and that was considered just deserts for not fighting to the death.
    Depends whom and where. It was certainly common practise for the Romans, where generals made their fortunes from war captives. In contests between Hellenistic powers, it was expected that a surrender would be honoured with an offer to join the winning side, a practise used by Alexander and his Successors. Especially in the case of Macedonian phalangites, who were too valuable to kill or enslave.

Being able to conscript your captives would be something!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12