Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History: Fiction or Science?: A total bullcrap?

Default History: Fiction or Science?: A total bullcrap?

Have anyone read this book?
    I knew about this book recently and I am sort of interested...
    Is it worth reading?
    http://www.amazon.com/History-Fictio...283155&s=books
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Chr..._%28Fomenko%29
    Last edited by Juggernaut; October 30, 2006 at 06:49 AM.

Default Re: History: Fiction or Science?: A total bullcrap?

i saw this clip whilst browsing google video the other day

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...37217655382635

suprised to see this thread, quite wierd.

anyway it sounds like total ********. atleast the impression from that clip, the claims made in the clip are from some "leading mathemetician" and some ******** with constellations? i don't even know what thats supposed to mean

haven't read the book though, or even heard of it save from this clip. I was actually trying to find the history channel : barbarians thing.
    Last edited by mike^_^; October 30, 2006 at 07:03 AM.

Idwayreth's Avatar Centenarius

There's just way too much evidence to debunk his outrageous claims.
    If God were a man he'd be me.

At first i simply observed. But i found that without investment in others, life serves no purpose.

Ulf's Avatar Ordinarius

looks like somebody just wants attention/money.
    Thank you for reading this assuredly fantastic post.

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

How come there was a lotr picture in that clip [mikes clip]
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Sephynos's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Ulf
    looks like somebody just wants attention/money.
    I think you're right!!
    That book is total nonsense ...
    I believe that to meet the challenges of our times, human beings will have to develop a greater sense of universal responsibility. Each of us must learn to work not just for oneself, one's own family or nation, but for the benefit of all humankind. Universal responsibility is the key to human survival. It is the best foundation for world peace.

I just think its silly that some clergy from 17th century came with all the works of Homer, Euripides, Sophocles, Aristophanes, Plato, Aristotle, Livy, Polybius, Caesar, Cicero, Virgil, Seneca and all the others just to make up their "own history" and burried all those archeological evidence all around europe and middle east, but I still think some of the points he raised is interesting, like the unreliableness of endrochronology,astronomical evidence and carbon dating.

Quote Originally Posted by mike^_^
    i saw this clip whilst browsing google video the other day

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...37217655382635

suprised to see this thread, quite wierd.

anyway it sounds like total ********. atleast the impression from that clip, the claims made in the clip are from some "leading mathemetician" and some ******** with constellations? i don't even know what thats supposed to mean

haven't read the book though, or even heard of it save from this clip. I was actually trying to find the history channel : barbarians thing.
    lol there are elves from middle earth in the russian army.

The earth is round. Like a pancake
    - H.Finkers

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

it wouldn't surprise me to learn that this Anatoly Fomenko is a regular contributor to the Pravda.ru ...

I'd like the people to read the wiki, http://www.worldagesarchive.com/Indi...hronology.html and http://www.univer.omsk.su/foreign/fom/fom.htm before posting "OMG this is nuts" type of comment for I cannot refute some their points.
    Maybe history IS shorter then what most people believe.
    Not in thousands of years, but perhaps by hundreds of years.
    And I think Fomenk has spent far too much dedication for a simple attention/money making.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut
    Maybe history IS shorter then what most people believe.
    Not in thousands of years, but perhaps by hundreds of years.
    And maybe the Earth is actually flat. Or hollow. There are kooks and fringe theorists who believe both, but no credible scholar takes them or their "arguments" seriously. Ditto for Fomenko.

What does that say to you? That every historian and archaeologist on the planet is wrong and this mathematician is right?

And I think Fomenk has spent far too much dedication for a simple attention/money making.
    There are plenty of kooks who get an idea and then go off in search of anything and everything that might support it. Few of them are doing it for attention or to make money. Just because they are sincere and genuinely convinced of their kookery doesn't make their ideas any less kooky.

And there's one word which pretty much kicks Fomenko's kookery to pieces - "dendochronology". Tree rings in bristlecone pines dating back thousands of years are a bit hard to fake.

The Skeptic published a good analysis of why Fomenko's "theory" is crap a few years ago: "Who Lost the Middle Ages?".

Belive me, there are people *cough*Dan Brown*cough* who dedicate much time into something just to get money/attention...

*What a coincidence.. I just noticed ThiudareiksGunthigg sig.
    Last edited by Jan Taihwo; October 30, 2006 at 06:50 PM.
    Ever had Problems when trying to find some good sites about a special period in history on Google?
    Then try looking if the site you need is in Links to History.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Some people you just have to nod your head to when they talk to you and secretly laugh in your mind at the utter bullcrap they spew out...
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Quote Originally Posted by ThiudareiksGunthigg
    And maybe the Earth is actually flat. Or hollow. There are kooks and fringe theorists who believe both, but no credible scholar takes them or their "arguments" seriously. Ditto for Fomenko.

What does that say to you? That every historian and archaeologist on the planet is wrong and this mathematician is right?

There are plenty of kooks who get an idea and then go off in search of anything and everything that might support it. Few of them are doing it for attention or to make money. Just because they are sincere and genuinely convinced of their kookery doesn't make their ideas any less kooky.

And there's one word which pretty much kicks Fomenko's kookery to pieces - "dendochronology". Tree rings in bristlecone pines dating back thousands of years are a bit hard to fake.

The Skeptic published a good analysis of why Fomenko's "theory" is crap a few years ago: "Who Lost the Middle Ages?".
    I never said I believe this guy.
    In fact, as I allready said, I think he is dead wrong.
    All I am saying is he has some interesting points.
    Just because a theory sound hookey, we shouldn't ignore of it.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

This is beyond the point of believable hookiness

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

This guy has a degree? Why don't *I* have a degree?! :O

Quote Originally Posted by Jan-Taihwo
    Belive me, there are people *cough*Dan Brown*cough* who dedicate much time into something just to get money/attention...
    You don't think there's quite a bit of difference between the two books / authors?

Fuhrer Euik's Avatar Civis

I think that guy is nucking futs. 'Nuff said.
    Addicted to WoW since: 7/4/06
    Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a favor for me. Until that day comes, accept this as a gift.
    ~Don Vito Corleone

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

What is the interesting point?

Even if we disregard all speculation about his motives, his work is fiction and there is much better fiction out there. I would say that a well written historical book (like "The Meditarrenean" of Braudel) can overcome conceptual and methodological flaws and seduce the reader.

Here the seduction comes-once more-from the promise of apocalypse. And that hints at the common denominator of the ephemeral glory of such efforts. The readers believe that if "everything is a lie" (insert event from Atlantis to the Kennedy assasination) this, somehow, will restore the lost sense of control over their own lives. I would rather call it a short term psychosis for lack of a better term. And as soon as the product has made his financial cycle, there will be another one to fill the gap.

BUt ended your post by saying "Maybe history IS shorter then what most people believe ... " etc, as though this idea is actually worth serious consideration.

Such as? His "theory" seems useful mainly as an example of how not to research an idea - starting with "Don't try overturning the whole basis of a field you have no training in" and moving to "Assuming your own conclusion will regularly end with a nonsense result"

No, we shouldn't ignore a theory just because it sounds like nonsense. But when it's been examined by experts, exposed as nonsense and totally rejected, well then that's a very good point to ignore it. That's the point this kook's theory reached some time ago. Which is why it's worth ignoring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast