Thread: Reputation, Relations & Diplomacy

Biarchus

Default Reputation, Relations & Diplomacy

Does anybody have a comprehensive guide for this?
    I would like to learn a little more about how it is influenced. I am also wondering if the EB2 has changed or modified this in anyway from vanilla.
    However, I am not very computer savy and don't want to go digging into code for fear of changing something I shouldn't be. I'm scared...

I did find a little bit of info from Google that I have linked. The first link is to the M2TW TWC wiki.
    The second link is a post from a couple years ago from the EB2 org. I'm wondering if it is still relevant or if it has changed a lot from the initial discussion.

If anyone would like to add information or expand on this topic, it would be much appreciated.

http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Reputation-M2TW

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...nd-reputations

Thanks

Default Re: Reputation, Relations & Diplomacy

I don't know a lot about code either but you probably don't have to be afraid to look at it, as long as you don't save any changes you make your game should be okay.

I'd really like to know more about it too. Especially which factor govern global reputation. Is there really no guide about that?

From my observations, diplomacy remains functional up to the Hard campaign difficulty level as long as one can keep their reputation on the Reliable level. Looks like the relations with any other faction don't break alliances even if they're Poor, but you need to be considered Reliable (at the very least).

The main difficulty is to get to the Reliable level, it usually involves being very nice to everyone. Not striking first, not doing more than sacking the settlements taken from any faction other than the Eleutheroi, ransoming prisoners when the opponent can pay the ransom (sometimes even releasing the prisoners if you suspect that they might be unable to pay), joining the allies in wars when they ask you (even if it's a token effort like blockading a port or fighting a single battle), not funding proxy wars against any of your allies. It can be a rather hard grind.

Above the Hard campaign level the AIs get so much hate boner against the player faction that the diplomacy is extremely unreliable.
    Last edited by Satapatiš; August 06, 2020 at 01:22 PM.
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.

Well I know the usual strategies in vanilla M2TW. However what I'd like to know is if the actual point values for the reputation governing factors from vanilla...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

M2TW Vanilla reputation point values

Reputation is a number ranging from -1.0 to 1.0 with 0 being nuetral reputation or "mixed."

Positive factors
    +0.0025 Alliance (Normalize reputation to 1.0 with divisor of 400. Initial bonus a single alliance has is +0.0025 or (1-0)/400)
    +0.1 Attacking an enemy of an ally on land or at sea.
    +0.01 Releasing less than 80 prisoners from a single battle
    +0.026 Releasing more than 80 prisoners from a single battle
    +0.025 Releasing an enemy general (captains don't count)(If you release more than 80 prisoners AND an enemy general, your reputation will go up by +0.051)
    +0.05 Occupying a settlement*

*Currently bugged unless you patch your game with this file (right click on "file" and save as, file developed by taw); follow the instructions here; fyi you don't need to unpack M2TW to make this file work-just place it in the folder specified. (For my computer, it's the following folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign)

Neutral factors
    -0- Ransoming prisoners (though TWC wiki once listed ransoming prisoners as giving a slight penalty; I can't seem to find this reference anymore)

Negative factors
    -0.00125 Being at war. Normalises your faction's reputation to -1.0 with a divisor of 800. Initial penalty shrinks over time.
    -0.1 Nullifying an alliance through diplomacy.
    -0.1 Breaking an alliance. Occurs when two of your allies go to war and you have to choose which alliance to uphold.
    -0.15 Breaking a trade or military access treaty.
    -0.15 Bribing a settlement with your diplomat.
    -0.5 Attacking an ally
    -0.01 Executing less than 80 prisoners from a single battle*
    -0.026 Executing more than 80 prisoners from a single battle
    -0.025 Executing an enemy general, regardless of the amount of characters. (If you execute more than 80 prisoners AND an enemy general, reputation will go down by -0.051)
    -0.02 Sacking a settlement
    -0.05 Sacking a settlement while a faction is a horde (Mongols and Tumurids only)
    -0.05 Exterminating a settlement
    -1.0 Stealing back a settlement. Occurs after physically taking back a settlement with the use of force after giving the region away through diplomacy.

*Note that if you want a dread general this is the best choice with the least impact on Reputation

Additional factors

• After each turn, the game will normalize your faction's reputation with a divisor of 200.
    • On Easy difficulty, reputation is normalized to 1
    • On Medium difficulty, reputation is normalized to 0
    • On Hard difficulty, reputation is normalized to -0.5
    • On Very Hard difficulty, reputation is normalized to -1.0

...have been modded in Vanilla and if so how?

You'll have to compare it by yourself between EB 2 and vanila files.
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.