Thread: converting from camps to cities

texoman81's Avatar Ducenarius

Default converting from camps to cities

I know i've seen this discussed but i couldn't find it. Playing a Nabatean campaign, i needed to convert my capital from a camp to a city in order to get my reforms. So i destroyed every building in the camp i could, and the conversion became available after i destroyed the herd. Is it really that simple or is it some combination of buildings i got rid of?

Default Re: converting from camps to cities

You need level 3 (i'm not sure could be 4) farms to be able to convert to city. However any level of herds blocks you from building the required farms. So you always need to destroy the herd first.

Quote Originally Posted by texoman81 View Post
    I know i've seen this discussed but i couldn't find it. Playing a Nabatean campaign, i needed to convert my capital from a camp to a city in order to get my reforms. So i destroyed every building in the camp i could, and the conversion became available after i destroyed the herd. Is it really that simple or is it some combination of buildings i got rid of?
    I played as Numids and Parthians, after i transformed 3 settlements from camps to towns in my Numid campaign i got the reform "the Numids are settling down", you have to destroy only the herd, no other thing, because the herds are the nomadic way of life, when you destroy it (or don't build it at all) the nomadic "style" decreases then at a certain point you obtain a building "permanent settlement" i think it costs 6000 mnai and it takes 12 turns (3 years) to complete building it. don't forget that by destroying the herds you'll have to build all possible farms buildings so the population relie on farming instead of herds , that's all

thanks for the responses. I'd heard from the beginning that it was the farms that made it possible but never knew the herds was what was stopping it. I knew i was missing something but can't believe it took me this long to figure it out. I thought it was government type, so i'd destroyed and rebuilt my government building several times with no effect
    Last edited by texoman81; September 14, 2014 at 06:18 AM.

ok i have a related question. In some camps you are unable to build any kind of farms. Is there something other than herds that would keep you from building farms, or it this unavoidable and meant to represent areas that could not support proper cities

Quote Originally Posted by texoman81 View Post
    ...or it this unavoidable and meant to represent areas that could not support proper cities
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    This.
    Thats what i was thinking more and more. Thanks for the confirmation.

Resurrecting this.

Is there a cultural requirement in addition to the farms, because playing as Pontus I cannot convert two camps that are pastoral regions that say in the description are convertible (Scythiapolis and the other camp above the Caucasus)
    Furthermore I believe capitalism must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Camcolit View Post
    Resurrecting this.

Is there a cultural requirement in addition to the farms, because playing as Pontus I cannot convert two camps that are pastoral regions that say in the description are convertible (Scythiapolis and the other camp above the Caucasus)
    Pontus is not a faction that can convert camps to settlements
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    Pontus is not a faction that can convert camps to settlements
    Ah ok thanks. I'm assuming only factions with some 'nomad in 'em' can convert then? Not really seeing the rationale for this but would be good to know for future reference.

You can easily modify that in your game, as seen here:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...o-settled-ones

Not savegame compatible, though. I kind of agree with you, this is the first thing I amend every time there is a new patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Colos1987 View Post
    You can easily modify that in your game, as seen here:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...o-settled-ones

Not savegame compatible, though. I kind of agree with you, this is the first thing I amend every time there is a new patch.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Camcolit View Post
    Ah ok thanks. I'm assuming only factions with some 'nomad in 'em' can convert then? Not really seeing the rationale for this but would be good to know for future reference.
    Then it's quite funny that Carthage is one of the faction that can convert camp. Carthage and nomad is not something i put in the same sentence. :V

Yes, and at a more basic level why would you need to be nomadic to have nomadic provinces you control and rule convert to permanent settlements? If anything wouldn't being nomadic or semi-nomadic make them less likely to do so?..

Ah well, with this mod even though I love it I've learned to just try change what doesn't seem to make sense instead of arguing about it.