View Poll Results: What Game do you want to play?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Historical Alliances (Antiquity-Medieval)

10 66.67%
  • Stellar Alliances

8 53.33%
  • National Alliances (by Era)

6 40.00%
  • National Alliances (Risk)

5 33.33%
  • World Alliances (No magic)

7 46.67%
  • Fantasy Alliances (Magic)

9 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Alliance Game

cfmonkey45's Avatar Praeses

Default New Alliance Game

Currently, I'm trying to set up the infrastructure for a pan-Coliseum player base, where people can swap into different games to suit their preferences. However, I've also been highly interested in hosting an alliance game for a while, but before I settle on a game, I'm curious to see what most people's preferences are.

Note, that currently IH is planning on doing a world-building game and there has been some talk of using their developed world as a basis for a WA Fantasy, but this is not guaranteed.

Silo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: New Alliance Game

I am generally interested in any game, but I am way more into non-historical games where I can more or less freely make up a faction.
    Also generally I like Scifi better than Fantasy, but in the end that's not that important, neither is magic vs no magic.
    Last edited by Silo; September 14, 2014 at 01:22 AM.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

I'm either up for a historical alliance (i prefer date set up in antiquity) or a NA game which is set around the date of 1980.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Voted anything but Stellar. Willing to help with anything. Slight preference toward Risk or Historical games over WA/FA.

Well, right now, SA and FA are basically the winners. Honestly, I have no serious preference for FA, largely because the world building is a pain.

The two that I have the strongest preferences for are SA and NA Risk, largely because everyone starts out more or less equal, and everyone can make up a backstory within reason (i.e., you are a sci-fi faction/random nation). My thought might be to combine the two and have like a limited interplanetary game, but the problem with it is that it would take a lot of work on my end, and considering how most people seem to be "meh," it seems like a large investment to make without a serious ROI.

Hey, cool to see an alliance game is going on again. In case Fantasy Alliance is voted in, what if you used the old built world? IIRC there was an aborted FA game after one of the LotR games or Diadochi games that had the lore written out. But if FA is too much work I don't mind playing something else.

Edit: Here it is. I also found some of the rules. A lot of lore that can be recycled, a lot of lore of yours on page 3 and 1, as well as a map.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...54-Lore-Thread

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-The-Dark-Ages
    Last edited by NotYetRegistered; September 16, 2014 at 10:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Life is routine, punctuated by excitement.

Eh, actually, I am somewhat okay with that. However, I have no map. What we could do is, either a Risk NA (1930s tech), or a risk WA (high middle ages).

Right now, I can recycle a game sketch that I did for Crusader Alliances.

Basically, it works like LOTR, you can only build one economic improvement in a region at a time (we can even use LOTR rules). However, you can also build auxiliary buildings, such as palaces (capital only), fortresses, temples, and universities, which cost upkeep (except palaces), but give a benefit.

Technology is really simple, it just unlocks a more advanced form of infantry or structure.

If we do something with magic, basically, we can have schools of magic to recruit this. If not, we could just have a generic game set-up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2014-09-16 at 1.05.28 PM.png   Screen Shot 2014-09-16 at 1.06.08 PM.png  
    Last edited by cfmonkey45; September 16, 2014 at 04:10 PM.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by cfmonkey45 View Post
    Eh, actually, I am somewhat okay with that. However, I have no map.
    I have a couple of the old ones saved still, including some that were either never used or only used in very short lived games.

I'd upload but they're too huge.

Actually, I don't, they got wiped out.
    Last edited by Paul d; September 16, 2014 at 07:07 PM.

Additionally, I can whip up a ruleset for an NA risk, which can be started very quickly.

Basically, you get 5-10 provinces, and like 10,000,000 in starting cash, and then you move to build an nation-state.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

I may have some of the old WA maps on my old PC. I can check if you need me to.

I think NA Risk would be fun.

Someone called for a WA map?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Alright, so before Silo posted that map, I sketched out a rough unit set of NA Risk. Basically, everyone starts out at roughly WWII tech, but can advance into Cold War Tech, which includes Nukes. The idea is that the first countries to develop nukes will become superpowers, but will be given MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction). So there's that.

Although, I am also down for a fantasy map.

Unless there is more interest in NA Risk, I will go with FA. Though, I have wanted to Nuke a few people for quite some time...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NA.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	314148
    Last edited by cfmonkey45; September 16, 2014 at 10:55 PM.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

I would be up for a NA alliance game (risky)
    Veritas Temporis Filia

So this is the ruleset (WIPish) for FA:

Fantasy Alliances

Factions

Each faction starts out with 40 points to build their starting empire. They may spend this in whichever method they choose. However, their choices will also determine the order in which they choose territories. Imperial and Monarchial factions start first, followed by Republics, then Eldar, then Hordes. Starting order is further determined by the number of provinces.

-Faction leaders start out free, but their character points are decided by a roll (between 10 and 40).
    -Male Heirs cost 2 faction points, and have the same roll.
    -Female Heirs cost 1 faction point, and have stats between 1 and 10.
    -You may trade in one faction point for ten character points of any character, with a max of 50 for Faction leaders, and a max of twenty for female heirs.
    -Initial starting provinces cost one faction points each, up to 10.
    -Further provinces cost five faction points each, with no limit.
    -Initial starting money costs one faction point for 500 talents up to 2500 talents.
    -Further starting money costs one faction point for 250 talents.
    -Prestige and Magic cost 1 faction point each.

Human Factions

Imperial Successors and Monarchies

-5 Faction points to become a successor (starts first), and 0 for a human monarchy

The Turian Empire has fallen. Its mighty capital of Turia sacked and plundered by the Dark Elven Prince El'Alaisor. The Imperial family, butchered. The Arcane Libraries, burnt. While human civilization is still reeling from the calamity, several noble houses have taken up the purple and crowned themselves heirs to Turia. Should one of these pretenders reclaim the capital, their names shall be remembered forever in history and lore as the Saviors of the World. Perhaps the Gods wish the Turians to be great again. Or perhaps their time is at an end...

However, other nations and former vassals of the Turian Empire have welcomed its downfall with a mixture of relief and anxiety. On the one hand, their massive tribute to the Golden Halls of the Emperor will remain in their lands. On the other, they are disunited and without protectors from the Eldritch forces of the world.

Special: Imperial Successor factions can claim the former borders of their Empire for reconquest. If monarchs die, a 10%*number of male heirs chance occurs of a Civil War between the heirs; if any other monarchy has a Royal Marriage, they may attempt to usurp the claim of the male heirs by invading in a War of Succession. Monarchies may not declare wars while heirs are underage, and upon the extinction of all male heirs of a line, a Civil War breaks out, either between regional nobles, or any married lines of other factions.

Republics

-10 Faction Points for humans to become a Republic
    -5 Faction Points for other races to become a Republic

Often autonomous within and without the Empire, the Republics function with a great deal of efficiency. Often being either aristocratic or meritocratic in their nature, they pride themselves on rule of law. To them, coin is the symbol of royalty and nobility, and they have crafted the best ways to acquire the most of it. As such, they have come to dominate many trade lanes and venues and often attract the best leaders from amongst themselves.

Special: Republics may recruit characters for half price, but only have a maximum of 10, excluding hired characters.

Eldar Factions

-15 Faction Points to become an Eldar Faction
    -10 Faction Points to become another non-human Faction

Called many names, the Firstborn, the High Born, the Old Ones, and the Elves, the Eldar have long taken a keen interest in humanity. Bestowed long life by the Old Gods, whom they knew in the beginning of time, the Eldar once ruled over the world, cowing and enslaving all lesser races, including humans. While many were remembered as benevolent, towards the end of their millenia-long reign, the Eldar had grown intoxicated with power and some among them conspired to elevate themselves to Godhood. To this end, they sacrificed legions of slaves and animals, harvesting their soul's essences like cattle. In these vast blood orgies, forbidden by the Gods, they reached the pinnacle of their power, and even had the potential power to breach the Heaven's Gate: the barrier between this world, the heavens, and the rest of the universe.

The Old Gods, having long wasted away into the eternal fabric of the cosmos, were powerless and ambivalent in their slumber. It was at this time that the New Gods arose and cast down the Eldar. Their entire continent of Aldamar was annihilated, with millions of them perishing. The survivors, the Aldameri, the Highborn Elves who refused to take part of the Blood rituals, were spared and granted right to settle throughout the world. However, there were those among the Aldameri who loathed the New Gods, and worshiped their old leaders, giving secret toasts to their memory and performing bloodrites in secret. They are known as the Dwemeri, the Dark Elves.

As a consequence of their fall, the Eldar have lost much of their power. With declining birthrates, the Eldar are now precious few, but long-lived. Their solution to this is to use their magic to interbreed with lesser beings, namely humans. Though numerous, these offspring, the Maomeri, the Half-Elven, still face extreme discrimination by the Aldameri, who view them as inherently inferior, and by the Dwemeri, who view them as an abomination and a sacrilege. Dwemeri are even known to murder any Maomeri they find and use their life essence to increase their own fertility.

Special: The Eldar Factions have access to Eldar units, constructions, and magical abilities.

Horde Factions

-10 Faction Points to become a Horde Faction

Beyond the demesnes of Royal Houses and Noble Republics lay the vast wild lands of the world. Many of the men here barely cling to civilization, still ruled by tribal elders and chieftains, roaming from land to land. Some of these are fearsome warriors with huge beards and battle swords, while others are proud steppe warriors mounted on swift steeds, while still others are northmen who take to raiding the shores of civilized men with their longboats, burning and pillaging everything in sight only to emerge back into the mist from whence they came.

Still, however, there are other races who compose the hordes. The Falmer, or Orcs in the Common Tongue. They were the most fearsome of the Aldamer who were especially cursed by the New Gods to remember nothing of their culture or their past. Completely feral, they breed in large numbers, kept by the gods as a plague on the world for its decadence and to prevent any race from gaining too much power.

Special: Horde factions can trade in their starting territories for more units. While in Horde mode, they will not be able to recruit mercenaries, build ships, or train new troops. However, they will have half upkeep on their troops and can raid with impunity. This can be ended at any time by settling in a particular region.

Economy

Trade Income

Trade income is derived from two sources: the Great Sea Trade Routes that cross the oceans, and from the smaller routes established by the nations. For the Great Routes, no one faction owns them permanently, and they are fueled by the collective will and economic energy of dozens of kingdoms, and hundreds of small towns and principalities. Your control over a trade route is proportional to how many ships you have on it. NOTE: In this game, each ship can carry a maximum load, thus you need to have a minimum number of ships before you can compete against other trading vessels. The rules for establishing a trade route are that each faction needs to have one market, or one port, for each route, and that income is determined by ratio (i.e. NA trade rules), divided by distance.

Base Income

Each Region starts out undeveloped, and generates 400,000 in income for minor regions, and 600,000 for capitals. You may upgrade each region for the expected income, generating an additional 100,000 in income. Additionally, you may gain 100,000 for spheres of influence, representing vassalage and tribute of foreign states. Spheres of influence are subtracted from a province's total income before upgrades. Spheres of influence may be either granted by the faction owner, awarded as a war conquest, or purchases with prestige. Purchasing with prestige costs 5 prestige for each sphere of influence. Purchases need not require the consent of the province owner, only that you have 1) at least twice the prestige than them, or 2) an existing sphere of influence in the province. If you gain the provincial income in spheres of influence (i.e. 4 spheres for 400,000), the province will defect to you automatically; however, they will gain a free cassus bellum against you. Only two spheres of influence may be gained per turn in the same province.

Thus, upgrading a Level 1 Province to a Level 2 would cost 500,000, and generate 500,000 in income. Upgrading a Level 2 to a Level 3 would cost 600,000, and generate 600,000 in income.

Upgrades

Each province may have one, and only one, economic upgrade. Capitals may have two.

The costs are as follows,

Level 1: 300,000
    Level 2: 500,000
    Level 3: 900,000
    Level 4: 1,500,000

Economic Upgrades
    Farming

Level 1: 80,000
    Level 1: 160,000
    Level 1: 300,000
    Level 1: 450,000

Ranching

Special:Permits Training of Horses
    Level 1: 60,000
    Level 1: 120,000
    Level 1: 240,000
    Level 1: 420,000

Mining

Level 1: 75,000
    Level 1: 150,000
    Level 1: 325,000
    Level 1: 600,000

Sea Trade

Special:Permits Training of Ships
    Level 1: 50,000 - Permits one trading partner
    Level 2: 100,000 - Permits two trading partners
    Level 3: 200,000 - Permits three trading partners
    Level 4: 400,000 - Permits four trading partners

Land Trade

Level 1: 50,000 - Permits one trading partner
    Level 2: 100,000 - Permits two trading partners
    Level 3: 200,000 - Permits three trading partners
    Level 4: 400,000 - Permits four trading partners

Cultural Upgrades

Fortifications

Level 1: Fort
    Level 2: Castle
    Level 3: Fortress
    Level 4: Citadel

Culture

Level 1: 1 Prestige
    Level 2: 2 Prestige
    Level 3: 3 Prestige
    Level 4: 5 Prestige

Governance

Level 1: Reduces Overextension by 5%
    Level 2: Reduces Overextension by 10%
    Level 3: Reduces Overextension by 15%
    Level 4: Reduces Overextension by 30%
    Temples

Level 1: 5 Magic
    Level 2: 10 Magic
    Level 3: 20 Magic
    Level 4: 40 Magic

Universities

Level 1: 10 Research Points
    Level 2: 15 Research Points
    Level 3: 30 Research Points
    Level 4: 60 Research Points

Roads

Enables Quick March

The Gods

The Old Gods

In the Beginning, the Universe was created. Upon its formation, in the vast infinite expanse of nothingness and primordial matter, there arose the Gods. With no laws to govern the universe, in the aeon before time, chaos reigned.

It was in that time that there arose amongst the Gods a consensus to remould the universe and bring order to chaos. The leader of the Old Gods, the Great One, who consumed many others to gain his power, established the laws and divided the universe amongst the remaining gods. Each god was allotted a portion of the universe to create and mold and they saw fit, so long as it remained within the parameters that the Great One set forth.

Many worlds were created, as innumerable as the sands in the sea, and many are seen from the world as stars in the night sky, when the sun sets beyond the horizon. To this world, the Great One allotted seven Gods to reign over. Here they created planet, with its oceans, it seas, the lands, the creatures, and its denizens. To aid them in this task, they created the Eldar races, the First Born, whom they termed Helpers.

The Eldar sought to establish themselves on Aldamar, the fairest and calmest of the nine continents. Elsewhere, the Old Gods created the other races, including men, the Second Born. The Eldar helped them, but did not wish for the Second Born to surpass themselves, so they concealed from them immortality, sharing it amongst only the most loyal of the Second Born.

Throughout the world, beasts were crafted and shaped, with mighty land giants inhabiting the south, and with dragons in the north. Even in the sea, vast beasts were created, from whales, to sharks, to squid, and even the monsters that lurk in the deep.

As the ages passed, the Old Gods began to fall asleep, as was foretold by the Great One. The Great One had decreed that the Universe should return from whence it came, and that life was an ephemeral gift, even to the immortals and their Gods. In order to watch over the world, they created the New Gods, impetuous, young, and naive about the world.

The New Gods

Though scholars disagree quite heavily about who was created first, invariably it was the Eldar who grew jealous of the power of the New Gods. They plotted in secret to usurp the thrones of Divinity and overtake the mortals. To this end, many amongst them began sacrificing in secret upon profane altars, worshiping Daemons and strange new Gods. Legions of Second and Third Born slaves were slaughtered, and from their blood, their soul's essence was collected and deposited within pools and vials for the wealthy.

Such was their greed that they drove whole species into extinction. The dragons were no more; and the beasts in the ocean, gone. Even unto the depths of the world, the souls of the fallen, heroes of old, were not spared.

Such was their power that the Eldar could, at their whim, remould continents and create new species. They, however, secretly desire more power. Many conspired to commit the greatest sacrilege of all, killing a deity. They had hoped that by sacrificing some of the New Gods and harvesting their power, they could attain Godhood, and with it, break the Heaven's Gate and flood throughout the universe. They had hoped to even surpass the Great One and rewrite the laws of the universe to make their tyranny complete and permanent.

However, their plan was discovered before it could reach fruition, and the New Gods fell upon the continent of Aldamar. For weeks battles were fought and the New Gods were originally driven back. It was then that the Gods took counsel amongst themselves and agreed to liberate the Second and Third Born races to destroy the First Born. Throughout the world, the kings of men agreed to submit to the New Gods, eagerly providing them with worship and tribute. Teaching them metallurgy and warcraft, the Second Born raised up legions of troops and massive fleets for the Gods. In a titanic battle, the Second Born managed to cripple and destroy the fleets of the First Born, aided in no small part by the massive storms and hurricanes sent by the New Gods. With their fleet sent to the depths, the Second Born's legions landed upon the hallowed continent of Aldamar, looting and pillaging the city as they went by. Arcane secrets were burned, and precious metals melted and down and stolen. In an orgy of rape and bloodshed, the forces of the Second Born burned the vestiges of First Born civilization, even those that did not take part in the bloodrites.

However, the New Gods watched the Second Born and, to their horror, confided that they should not be given immortality like the First Born. With the defeat of First Born, the Gods decreed that the continent of Aldamar be destroyed and sunk to the bottom of the ocean. The remnants of the Aldameri who did not take part in the bloodrites were to be spared, though they numbered less than a third of the their prior numbers. The Aldemeri were exiled to the rest of the continents, whilst the New Gods further decreed in secret that a portion of the Eldar be forever cursed to spurn civilization and learning, and know only war and barbarity. This way, they were to be forever a reminder of the depths of their depravity and this new race would forever be a plague upon the Races of the world so that none may again rise up to challenge the Gods once again.

As for the Second Born, they were permitted to learn the Arcane Arts, but were not granted immortality. It was believed that without immortality, they could not unite long enough to threaten the Gods.

Thus, the Gods returned to their slumbered and designated representatives to allot judgement and favor amongst the mortals. This was ten thousand years before the founding of Turia, and eleven thousand years before the Turian Empire.

Prestige, Magic, and Artifacts

Prestige

Prestige represents not only the esteem by which you are held by your rivals and vassals, but also by the Gods. Not only is it its own reward, being able to be used as a currency to buy new champions, soldiers, and administrators, but also, it can be converted into Magic through temples and Holy Men attracted to your faction by your prestige.

Magic

Research

Artifacts

Characters

Warfare

Looking over it again, I'm not 100% set upon it. However, I will do it if people want it. I'm also thinking about another poll.

On the upgrading provinces, why would anyone build farming and ranching if mining makes more and still costs the same to build??

Mining is an enormous investment that's not guaranteed to go anywhere. Ranches also enable the production of cavalry in that province​. They're also region specific. Farms can be built in temperate/forest regions, while ranching can be done in temperate/desert regions.

Thus, farms yield great up front profits, while ranches universally permit additional units.

To be perfectly honest I don't care too much about the specific ruleset as long as it is workable.
    I do however heavily prefer WA/FA/SA over any type of NA game. Nukes are fine and everything, but I just prefer a setting detached from reality/history by more than a small margin.

Also I think the sooner we can get something rolling the better. As long as we can keep the actual game start reasonably close as well. Otherwise half the people will have lost interest again by the time we actually get playing.

Double A's Avatar person man

I'd definitely like to see something with three power blocs if there's going to be an unequal start to keep things interesting longer, so FA is on the right track. I'm fine with whatever setting you want to make rules for.
    Last edited by Double A; September 17, 2014 at 10:26 PM.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

Quote Originally Posted by Silo View Post
    Also I think the sooner we can get something rolling the better. As long as we can keep the actual game start reasonably close as well. Otherwise half the people will have lost interest again by the time we actually get playing.
    This seems to have been the problem with some of the previous games. The moment faction threads start going up, the game should be starting ASAP.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Stellar Alliances.

So I can spam some more deviant art pictures in gratuitous amount.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast