Page 38 of 529 FirstFirst ... 132829303132333435363738394041424344454647486388138 ... LastLast

Thread: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria

Costin_Razvan's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    The very same Taliban that ran and hid in Pakistan?
    Ran, hid, rebuilt and struck again? Yes those guys.

Wars are not won through winning individual battles alone. They are won through strategy, and the Taliban's strategy has worked. They fought against the might of the world for over a decade and wore them down to the point they are pulling out over the large costs they paid.

With regards to the IS, let me be frank. Spending millions per day on cruise missiles, hellfire missiles and paveway bombs against an army using second hand USSR and US equipment is quite frankly retarded.
    Last edited by Costin_Razvan; September 30, 2014 at 12:54 PM.
    "It's bizarre though. Donald Trump, an ageing, orange skinned reality TV star with a history of selling steaks and conning people, a trophy wife and one of the most fragile egos I've seen pretty much just destroyed the head of the interventionist faction in the US State apparatus, Victoria Nuland, after literally becoming President of the United states. We must live in one of the more interesting timelines."

"The Powell Doctrine is the bible of every foreign policy thinker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_Doctrine

Odenat's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by white-wolf View Post
    If I were a Kurd (nevermind one of my grandpa was a Shafi Kurd) I would like to be a citizen of Democratic Turkey which is a country in membership talks with EU (just do not ask me when she will be a member), instead of being a citizens of some * in ME. But, that is just me. IF Turkey's Kurds would like to seperate with their wortless mountainous lands, I would support it with my whole heart. But Alas, unfortunately a huge majority of Turkey's Kurds would like to stay as Turkish citizens. Also, it is needed to be understand, if a Kurdistan happens in Turkey lands, the rest will be Turkistan if you catch my meaning.
    Now, i think also that if we make a referendum here, i'm sure 50% of Turks will happily say bye bye to our Kurdish "brothers". Without the so called Kurdistan, our GDP becomes double, we'll have better schools, infrastructure, hospitals etc. Unfortunately, Kurdish politicians somehow believes that when we become a federation (none of them wants independence because then who'll pay for their expenses?), we Turks will gladly continue to pay our Kurdish "brothers" expenses. Actually, the only thing that Kurds can produce right now is water melons And South East Turkey does not have oil too.

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

You forget the grapes...
    Miss me yet?

The problem is, they are in a border region, as long as they do not block any of our borders with other state, I could happily say bye bye too if thats what they wish.

For god's sake, ISIS is attacking Kobani, Turkey is allowing civilians in, and Kurds in Turkey attacking Turkish police while protesting the war in Kobani.

Quote Originally Posted by Costin_Razvan View Post
    Ran, hid, rebuilt and struck again? Yes those guys.

Wars are not won through winning individual battles alone. They are won through strategy, and the Taliban's strategy has worked. They fought against the might of the world for over a decade and wore them down to the point they are pulling out over the large costs they paid.

With regards to the IS, let me be frank. Spending millions per day on cruise missiles, hellfire missiles and paveway bombs against an army using second hand USSR and US equipment is quite frankly retarded.
    Yeah... I'm sure they'll be re-conquering Kabul this decade.

TheBlackTower's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Tureuki View Post
    For god's sake, ISIS is attacking Kobani, Turkey is allowing civilians in, and Kurds in Turkey attacking Turkish police while protesting the war in Kobani.
    The Question is are you Tanks are Going in ?

So if not this decade, than the next, no offense but terrorist is not a legacy that you leave to your children .
    Last edited by TheBlackTower; September 30, 2014 at 04:28 PM.
    “History repeats itself because no one was listening the first time.”

Costin_Razvan's Avatar Campidoctor

They don't need to reconquer Kabul through military force. What they need is to be in a position of military strength to negotiate a political settlement that's favorable to them.
    "It's bizarre though. Donald Trump, an ageing, orange skinned reality TV star with a history of selling steaks and conning people, a trophy wife and one of the most fragile egos I've seen pretty much just destroyed the head of the interventionist faction in the US State apparatus, Victoria Nuland, after literally becoming President of the United states. We must live in one of the more interesting timelines."

"The Powell Doctrine is the bible of every foreign policy thinker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_Doctrine

Talibans cannot be defeated unless you adopt a Nazi approach to warfare. Same for ISIS, you can only try to contain them were the people don't support them trough local proxies like the Peshmerga or the Northern Alliance. This means also that you have to accept the partition of Iraq which US doesn't want.
    Last edited by Principe Alessandro; September 30, 2014 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Principe Alessandro View Post
    Talibans cannot be defeated unless you adopt a Nazi approach to warfare. Same for ISIS, you can only try to contain them were the people don't support them trough local proxies like the Peshmerga or the Northern Alliance.
    Taliban doesn't need to be defeated. negotiate! The Osama problem is behind us and was silly now build all up for good and the bad behaviour will dissapear. not?
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackTower View Post
    So if not this decade, than the next, no offense but terrorist is not a legacy that you leave to your children .
    Extremism is not a foe you defeat on the field of battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Costin_Razvan View Post
    They don't need to reconquer Kabul through military force. What they need is to be in a position of military strength to negotiate a political settlement that's favorable to them.
    Unlikely to ever happen. Currents shifts in Afghanistan have been favorable. Taliban is a problem, but not one that threatens to upset the current direction of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by TWmodding View Post
    Taliban doesn't need to be defeated. negotiate! The Osama problem is behind us and was silly now build all up for good and the bad behaviour will dissapear. not?
    Well the fact is that in Afghanistan you have made a lot of local allies, you have to support them anyway if you don't want to lose your face and the Talibans don't want to negotiate, they want everything or nothing.

TheBlackTower's Avatar Tiro

Well the fact is that in Afghanistan you have made a lot of local allies, you have to support them anyway if you don't want to lose your face and the Talibans don't want to negotiate, they want everything or nothing.
    They try as i remember to open political office in Qatar, and agree to be a political party but the Yankee did not like it .
    “History repeats itself because no one was listening the first time.”

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Khorasan does not exist (at least not in Syria). The Obama administration is full of crap and the mainstream media eats up his leaked "info" like loyal lapdogs.

A pretty sad and pathetic state of affairs for today's press, I must say. A bunch of stenographers, the lot of them, hardly any real journalists around anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Khorasan does not exist (at least not in Syria). The Obama administration is full of crap and the mainstream media eats up his leaked "info" like loyal lapdogs.

A pretty sad and pathetic state of affairs for today's press, I must say. A bunch of stenographers, the lot of them, hardly any real journalists around anymore.
    I'm sorry but I can't sit through Young Turks he is such a bad reporter.

First of all the argument was never that they went to Syria so that they could make bombs, or board airliners from Syria directly to the United States because it would be "easier". The argument is that there are many US and European born fighters currently in Syria for groups like Al Qaeda to recruit from so this would be a reason to move a base of operations for international terrorism there.

Now there might be a point that this is not actually a new group, or even that this is not what they are doing there. But Cenk can't even make that point without tripping all over himself. He is such a ing idiot.

Leave the satire to Jon Stewart & Co not only are you not funny, but you constantly hurt the cause you are advocating for.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by tarvu View Post
    I'm sorry but I can't sit through Young Turks he is such a bad reporter.
    As opposed to the geniuses who didn't question at all the leaked "information" the government provided them?

Although he does segments dealing with pop culture on occasion, Cenk isn't trying to be a comedian like Stewart or Colbert, so I don't know how you drew that comparison.

Also, I love the fact that you didn't address the far more important issues being discussed by Cenk in the video, instead you just nitpicked a few things you didn't like. Fail.

Well, the Obama administration couldn't tell that they were actually bombing al-Qaeda because it means the war against terror was never won, they couldn't tell either that they were bombing al-Nusra simply because they are allied with the FSA, in fact I think that FSA is unhappy for bombing them while they do nothing against the SAA, so they made up a new group of jihadists that actually are nothing more than al-Qaeda operatives within the ranks of al-Nusra, funnily ISIS was super-hyped as the worst terrorist group in the world, worse even than al-Qaeda, then the US ends bombing more heavily al-Nusra/al-Qaeda/Khorasan Group or whatever it is than ISIS.
    Last edited by Principe Alessandro; September 30, 2014 at 06:38 PM.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Talibans cannot be defeated unless you adopt a Nazi approach to warfare.
    Nazi approach to warfare?
    Like not issuing winter uniforms?
    Ordering the wrong caliber gun for your main battle tank?
    Alienating entire populations that might have been swayed over?

Or perhaps you mean creating large prison/camps where the interned are tortured? Because this one has been tried in Iraq, and it ended as well it ended for the Nazis.

justdownloading's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar View Post
    Nazi approach to warfare?
    Like not issuing winter uniforms?
    Ordering the wrong caliber gun for your main battle tank?
    Alienating entire populations that might have been swayed over?

Or perhaps you mean creating large prison/camps where the interned are tortured? Because this one has been tried in Iraq, and it ended as well it ended for the Nazis.
    No, he's just using Nazi as a generic, catch-all phrase for everything evil and dastardly. No need to be concerned with what actually did and did not do historically, no.

http://news.yahoo.com/airstrikes-lau...-politics.html

Translation to FSA: You have no human rights and we care jack in so far as our oil interests are threatened.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...?utm_hp_ref=tw

Opportunity cost of waging a war against a non-existential threat is more Americans will die due to decreased social programs that would treat their health problems, repair bridges and roads, and improve their education.

Anycase, last YPG pockets outside of Kobane have been cleared. ISA is now pounding Kobane itself and prepping to begin street fighting.

http://syriahr.com/en/2014/10/u-s-an...n-ayn-al-arab/

USAF destroyed on Tank. YPG fighters destroyed six so far throughout this campaign using their carefully husbanded Milans.

ISA just shrugged it off and their artillery units are still in the open. YPG according to SOHR has 4,000 fighters in the city not counting armed civilians. Considering YPG started this month with 12,000 motorized fighters in Kobane, and were recently reinforced by 1,500 PKK fighters on the 28th who managed to cross the border, and got hit with a reinforced Mechanized Brigade of 6,000 ISA soldiers, tells us a lot. 8,000+ causalities. ISA is reporting 150 dead.

Again, there is no confirmation by video or picture evidence of YPG claims of ISA using M1A1s. ISA certainly captured at least a battalion of them intact and captured a few others in salvageable condition, but so far there is no evidence they are being used, and ISA typically posts pictures of destroyed and burnt out M1A1s and if you watched Flames of War, you'll see why, Iraqi M1A1 crews fight to the death and even in stock condition with no DU Armor they take the kitchen sink to destroy. I do see Humvees and other light armored vehicles of American manufacture in use by ISA.

If ISA does have a unit of M1A1s, they are taking extraordinary security precautions to hide its existence.

Update:

Released by IS

Last edited by Request a new user name; October 01, 2014 at 09:03 AM.
    Well look at this here, a brewing free-for-all in Western Horn of Africa. What could possibly go wrong...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...0f0_story.html

But everything is going to be good if the rebels win
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.