Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cities: Skylines

Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Cities: Skylines

My current Attempt so far:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

With this one i started off with a plan from the get go:
    The bottom third i designed as intended but down the center i create a flimsy straight road and lined it with low quality industry, once i got to roughly the high density stage i bulldozed this entire area and replaced it with a large road system that you see now. I also relocated my garbage system to the north with easy access to the entire area.
    I moved the low density industry to the other side of the highway, made it into logging and recently added a train network to help redistribute produced goods.

Next step will be to start construction on an island to the south and fill in as much as my current city as possible.
    Also look into building a Dam and other clean energy sources.
    Last edited by SLN445; March 29, 2015 at 09:03 PM.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

update to show the city growth:

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

Community-made maps are so much better than the default ones. I love the modding this game can bring to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by The Useless Member View Post
    Community-made maps are so much better than the default ones. I love the modding this game can bring to the table.
    Any specific ones that are especially great?

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    Any specific ones that are especially great?
    Alot of the mods I love are the ones that improve mechanics such as the traffic overlay.
    Pcgamer did a pretty good article about some good mods for the game.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-citi...ps-and-assets/
    Honestly this game has some of the most creative mods ive seen in a long time, which is impressive since it hasnt even been out for a month yet.
    Any Veterans of the Afghanistan/Iraq wars join my group. Im trying to get a Veterans group started on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamwestisgod View Post
    Alot of the mods I love are the ones that improve mechanics such as the traffic overlay.
    Pcgamer did a pretty good article about some good mods for the game.
    Honestly this game has some of the most creative mods ive seen in a long time, which is impressive since it hasnt even been out for a month yet.
    I have almost all of those, already.
    And yes, it's very impressive how many mods there are, how varied they are, and how deep they can go into the game in terms of new content, GUI and game mechanics. If there's any specific problem with the game, there's probably a mod available that handles it.

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

wtf

I love this map btw. The more I need to conform with geography, the better the map.

Maybe try out the Zion National Park map, then. Lots of canyon building if you want.

the general layout from above:

started out planned around the uber-roundabout.. quickly became a rather hodgepodge affair that vaguely resembles rubbish petals.

the double road at the top will need to be sorted out when i begin extending up there. Atm the road going across doesnt get used much so theres not a traffic problem but there will be for sure once i go north. For now though i fill in the gaps in my little square
    Last edited by Carach; April 17, 2015 at 08:48 PM.

I've been wondering - is there any practical need for that monster roundabout? It looks cool, of course, but aren't more compact ones just as fine?

yes, is the answer to that

the very inside can be used for bus depot and underground (metro, tube, subway, whatever u wish to call it) because the very inside basically isnt used by traffic. Also footways allow ppl to get across easy without blocking traffic on the roads by constantly streaming across pedestrian crossings
    then the other 2 layers are used by traffic going to whichever exit so it spreads the traffic around which eases the flow. Also handy because it has 8 exits so can expand infrastructure well. And generally traffic flows pretty well through it. I've only had trouble as i've developed my industry and the sheer mass of transport lorries leaving out of only 2 exits has pushed it to the limit. Even then though thats not really the roundabout, thats the feed in roads and perhaps the system i put in place (i have a big loop of a one way road that goes out one side and back in another, with several roads to the highway next door and only one main road coming from the south to get into the entire industrial area via this roundabout).

Traffic using only one lane or deciding to change lanes at 90 degree angles doesnt help either. In addition i've had trouble sorting out the highway connections to the city because the traffic will generally spam one feed-road to death and not use any others. so delete that and they go to the next one down. it's extremely irritating.

Last edited by Carach; April 21, 2015 at 07:36 PM.

Protector Domesticus

They really need to design a way to deal with pollution, at the very least someway to get rid of trash without burning or dumping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carach View Post
    yes, is the answer to that
    the very inside can be used for bus depot and underground (metro, tube, subway, whatever u wish to call it) because the very inside basically isnt used by traffic. Also footways allow ppl to get across easy without blocking traffic on the roads by constantly streaming across pedestrian crossings
    then the other 2 layers are used by traffic going to whichever exit so it spreads the traffic around which eases the flow. Also handy because it has 8 exits so can expand infrastructure well. And generally traffic flows pretty well through it. I've only had trouble as i've developed my industry and the sheer mass of transport lorries leaving out of only 2 exits has pushed it to the limit. Even then though thats not really the roundabout, thats the feed in roads and perhaps the system i put in place (i have a big loop of a one way road that goes out one side and back in another, with several roads to the highway next door and only one main road coming from the south to get into the entire industrial area via this roundabout).
    Hmm, ok. It just appears to be total overkill to me. Maybe I have to get much bigger cities before smaller designs fail to stem the traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by SLN445 View Post
    They really need to design a way to deal with pollution, at the very least someway to get rid of trash without burning or dumping it.
    District policies about air filtration standards, ground pollution reduction, garbage separation etc. might work. Maybe also add a "recycling" industry type that generates noise and pollution and pays little in taxes, but eats garbage and turns it into a small amounts of mixed ressources (preferably with their own garbage trucks that take garbage from your dumps)?

Quote Originally Posted by SLN445 View Post
    go to the mod workshop on steam and get hold of the recycling plant

tank: yea it is overkill until the city gets bigger, but plan for the future! i am playing with unlimited money though so obviously it probably wouldnt be there if i was having to play within my means heh

Money never really is a problem in the game once your city gets going. It just forces you to prioritize some parts of development before others earlier on. And if you need some more money for a bigger project, there's still the loans.

Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Carach View Post
    go to the mod workshop on steam and get hold of the recycling plant
    Yeah but i want to see something like it in the main game rather then a mod

I found money to be an issue until you reach roughly the first-second loan then its no longer really a problem at all.

So, after all the dissapointments following SimCity 4 is this finally the one worth the money and title as a successor?

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTREtm View Post
    So, after all the dissapointments following SimCity 4 is this finally the one worth the money and title as a successor?
    Yes.

and they just released a new patch which brings a load of european style buildings along with the ability to build tunnels.

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

This is without a doubt one of the best game purchases I've ever done. It's truely a magnificent sucessor to Sim City 4 and I love every minute of it. Looking back at our heated SimCity discussion I'm pleased to say "I told you so" to the EA fanbois. Maxis is dead, all hail the new king of city builders. Joyrant aside this is my current take on it. Just a test city to learn all the basic mechanics and finetune those road building skills.

thats my latest city, started it before tunnel release but have made a few since.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast