Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cities: Skylines

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Default Re: Cities: Skylines

Hmmm. You could try the "hard-mod" which comes with the game. It takes a lot more to upgrade anything. With vanilla buildings get upgraded very fast with just few services and such.

But I would recommend grabbing the tourism/parks fix from workshop too if you go hard-mode, your going to need parks to keep land-value high enough to keep people in your city, but without the fix, if you don't have high tourism, and even then, you will get almost zero demand for commercial, and it won't get built.

The leveling requirements very much at the moment feel like place-holder, it isn't very good, or it isn't very well tought balance wise I think. You can basically spam schools around factories to get them level up, it's really weird

Or you could just ask at the Skylines Workshop-forums at Steam if someone can do what you want
    Last edited by Kahvipannu; March 18, 2015 at 09:48 AM.

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Thanks Kahvi. I also wrote about this in the suggestion section at the Paradox forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahvipannu View Post
    Or you could just ask at the Skylines Workshop-forums at Steam if someone can do what you want
    Dear Kahvi, have you ever by any chance concidered expanding your portfolio by becoming a Cities Skylines modder?
    Last edited by Finlander; March 18, 2015 at 10:01 AM.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Dude, after those complaints, I just started checking new mods, and saw this

Already someone making changes to leveling.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...87&searchtext=

Man, the modding community is crazy for this game.

About modding, yeah, I did dig into it a bit. I was thinking some statues and stuff like that. Only new models stuff if I do, nothing gameplay wise, going to harrash others for that
    Last edited by Kahvipannu; March 18, 2015 at 10:06 AM.

How is the game running on everyone's devices?
    The Armenian Issue

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

DAMN'S!!!!!!! DAMN'S!!!!!!!!!!!DAMN'S!!!!!!! DAMN'S!!!!!!!!!!!DAMN'S!!!!!!!

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

my game runs perfectly and im on an average machine for nowadays

im still messing about with my first city despite having learnt a lot of things that should be put into practice;

image heavy!:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

need a brush tool for putting down trees
    need to get hold of the auto demolish mod cos its a chore having to go around demolishing all the abandoned buildings that spring up when theres bad traffic problems etc

the amount of trucks created by industry completely clogs things up if u dont have a super efficient road system. I've started revamping all the industrial area with a ton of one way systems directing to large roads that can then take the trucks to a cargo train station and/or cargo harbour instead of putting them into the middle of my outdated high street that just cannot cope
    Last edited by Carach; March 18, 2015 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    How is the game running on everyone's devices?
    Haven't had any problems so far, seems well optimized, but I haven't gone over 100k citizen (game simulates all of them, so bigger city = more demanding).

I don't know what mod or combination made this happen, but my commercial district is having fire which just keeps spreading. I have not seen that happen in vanilla game. I have had 12 firefighter cars pushing the fire back, but they are slowly losing, it's quite fun to watch.

Last edited by Kahvipannu; March 18, 2015 at 01:17 PM.

damn dude ive not seen a fire get out of control like that yet heh

Yeah, they are pretty amazing This game needs more stuff that will throw things out of "order", I really do hope the tsunami mods and such get finished. It's a great city-builder, but as a game it flats out on its face a bit I think, altought modders are improving it day by day.

Apparently it was Proper hardness (Without the hardness) mod which causes it, wasn't aware of the fire-update/addition for it, so it was pleasant wtf moment in game.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=408784664

Still feels a bit like work in progress, but really liking it so far, way less "gamey" challenge compared to hard-mod. Altought there is another version too which is more similar to hard-mod in terms of upkeep and such:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...earchtext=hard
    Last edited by Kahvipannu; March 19, 2015 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    Never thought I had this problem but I cannot keep my houses low level despite my best attempts at doing it.

I wish there was a policy that would forbit any upgrades made for the buildings or at least a mod to archieve this. I have downloaded several building mods into my game, one being a Soviet blockhouse which requires level 1 in order to exist. The problem here is that I am never going to see the suburbs of my liking surrounding my city when they get automaticly upgraded and the style will be changed.

However, there is a policy that makes just that what I am looking after for tall buildings so I'm optimistic that a similar thing could be modded in.
    This popped up:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=410535198

Yeah, the modding community is pretty awesome for this game
    Last edited by Kahvipannu; March 20, 2015 at 05:54 AM.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Nice fire

Modding community is amazingly proactive. I think I saw 1000 mods available in just the first day CS was released.
    But I think most of them were highway overpasses

I got 3 big issues with the game:
    1: Merge lanes are too short (for road and rail).
    2: Too many pre-built highways restrict city expansion/ideas, at least they do for my city because they surrounded it (yes I could build a custom map but, I've only been playing on one city so far).
    3: Unlocking neighborhoods is annoying when you only need a small part of the new area to say - link up a road. But I've seen mods that can unlock all of them but I'm not sure I want that sort of power in the game.

4 minor issue:
    1: Trains moving in reverse over very long areas of track, very fast. Its a bug I'm guessing.
    2: Everything seems to be European styled which brings me to: the lack of City styles (I want American damnit!).
    3: Where are my freight engine trains?
    4: Mid to end game begins to feel a bit .... repetitive? Needs more content maybe.

Everything else is fairly awesome.
    Last edited by IZob; March 20, 2015 at 06:31 AM.
    Contact me on Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/IZob/ or send a PM.

Yeah, loving that mod with fires, and now he added floods in. I picked the wrong map for my new city, lol

Yeah, I would agree with many things there, but you can fix a lot of those.

1. Have you tried turning off "snapping" for roads? That helps in many "tight" situations, also going for free/a bit bendy road sometimes helps squeezing road connection where it doesn't snap naturally straight.
    2. Maps are highly (and easilly) customizable tought, and many custom maps don't have pre-built roads.
    3. I'm using the mod which unlocks things up to the point you get highways straight away. You can buy couple bits of land from start. It sounds cheating, but it actually makes start harder, since you have all basic needs for your people from the start, and no income. But you can design everything better from the start with that. Also the unlock all 25 areas has a version at the Workshop, which allows the extra slots after you reach the last level of your city, so it doesn't affect early balance of the game. Also, prices go up, so I think it is balanced very well. It's just an option for late game.

2. There is tons of custom buildings at Workshop, it's a pain in the ass to go thru all, but there is more Merica orientated stuff too. I found the game to be not enough European looking
    3. I don't think pedestrians or cars/trains and such are moddable yet, but I would guess this will change in the future.
    4. Yes. You need to mod it to make it feel more like game with challenge. Basic game is just for city-building, and learning the ropes, after you get thru the start challenge. But city-builder needs that, mode for people to build cities of theyr dreams.

I have found the game to be way more enjoyable with the Proper-hardness mod (Without hardness), and with the starting unlocks. Since with those you need to get people to work, and to shops, vanilla cheats with that (Which you can see in high traffic jams, cars just vanishing), expanding makes the game actually harder in many ways. Alongside other additions from the mod. Hard-mod was ok too, way more balanced economy, but then again, once things started running, you had no problems if you just didn't over-commit. Basically vanilla game. But it is a area that gets tweaked with time I think, by the devs, and by the community.
    Last edited by Kahvipannu; March 20, 2015 at 08:18 AM.

still on my first city so things are untidy and random.. and inefficient.

traffic being unable to use the other 3 empty lanes can become quite irritating. also i had a roundabout that a highway started on directly and it completely cripples traffic cos for some reason it only allows a single car on at a time for ages and then it will randomly allow a bunch to travel on normally, then it will go back to silly single car jam weirdness. solved it by removing the direct link to the roundabout. Not really sure why it does that but hey

looking at that pic tho i am now tempted to make a gigantic highway running on the river.

The community here at TWC is one that I love and trust, so I thought I would seek advice here.

I have become overly spoiled by the clean organisation of released mods here and the well organised modding guides and tutorials. Right now I am finding it to be a complete nightmare locating mods for Skylines that I may want and also finding clear info on how to quickly make a few of my own changes to the game.

Currently I want to make a temporary fix for farms by reducing the number of people working on each one, which would enable me to build a small town surrounded by farms. (I am aware that sounds a little geekish!)

Is there a reliable website that anyone here is using for similar purposes? I find myself browsing reddit and the paradox forums in frustration wishing they would organise themselves like TWC.

Artifex

XLNation.city has specialized itself on modding for Cities XL, XXL and now Skylines as well, but the current selection of available Skylines mods is rather small. On the other hand, you won't find cheap reskins and spam files on XLNation like in the Steam Workshop.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Thanks, it's a little thin at the moment but I will add it to my list of sites to check.

It's a beautiful game. Obviously, I'm gonna compare it to SimCity 2013. Cities: Skylines is closer to SimCity 4 compared to SimCity 2013, but lacks some of the things that both games had.

Variety of buildings is asymmetrical. This has two sides; one is the residential, commercial and industrial buildings, and the other is service buildings. There is one elementary building, one high school and one university. That's it. I expected to see different sizes for all. The modular construction could be used from SimCity 2013. That makes the game feel a little empty for me. On the other hand, there are many different types of roads.

For me, it runs worse than SimCity 2013 with one city tile. This makes me question if SimCity 2013's concerns about large city sizes were much more sensible than people make them to me. So far, with reduced graphics, it runs ok. It's not as fluid when I zoom but it's manageable. I'll see how it will be once my city gets bigger.

It's a great game. There are many great mechanics like fluid mechanics that lets you build dams. There are some other original ideas like cremation services. Transportation services are likely to be best in any city-builder for those who are good at utilizing such tools. However, it lacks many things; different sized service buildings, administrative services (city hall, court house, house of worship, etc), libraries, city museums, etc.

The developer was always open about admitting that they could not put everything they wanted to put in the release version and that they will be working on it, so, we'll probably see more variety and newer features. This game can only get better as it has a great base.
    The Armenian Issue

Protector Domesticus

I'm enjoying it so far, finding it a lot more fun then the last City Sim i played which was Simcity 4 and that's mostly due to the budget being a lot less fickle and the need to balance things out less pressing.
    The only issues I'm finding so far is a lack of content, tiered access to things and difficulty managing traffic which is usually compounded by the inability to plan out a layout due to the previous issue.
    Though I'm sure we will eventually get more content, keeping things locked away helps give you things to aim for and to give you a sense of progression, and the traffic issues help give a more realistic feel of a city structure so its all good in the end .

Whats the best way to structure a city? im still stuck in the Simcity mindset of large square blocks of zones that feed off each other.

There is a mod which unlocks all the tiers up to the highway from beginning. You get more money at the start, and can plan properly roads from the start. But you also need to take care of the basic needs up to that tier from the start, and it is very easy to screw yourself over by planning too big from the start But I found that mod combined with the "Proper hardness (without the hardness)" to give much more enjoyable game all around.

The tiers are in the game propably mostly to easy people into the game, giving more options little by little, so that people won't get overhelmed. Later it is annoyance with basic stuff, I agree, but nothing that good mod won't fix.

Same goes for the unique buildings unlocks, they seem more like "tutorial-stuff". They want people to try do stupid stuff with a carrot, like get people sick, fill multiple graveyards, so that people will realize that these functions are in the game, and see how they affect the gameplay.

my new city!

birdseye of most of the city (some trash collection and water pump/clean etc is to the south that u cant see)

view from the hillside:

organised chaos really. made super massive roundabouts (got the template off workshop) because experience from my last city showed that traffic outgrew the capacity of the roads pretty fast. and its occured in the older part of my city already despite having put in quite a few roundabouts there too. Some irritating issues with traffic taking only one lane when there are 3 available too (common in this game).

i did have a kind of 'plan' in the lower part of the city where i started out but its kind of become ad-hoc as demand has grown for more. Gonna try my hand at making a motorway junction with a big roundabout above it like u get here in the UK for feed in lanes etc to make things possibly more efficient than some of the makeshift feed-in/out lanes ive got now.

edit: was meant to go to bed an hour ago but did this instead:

knew id regret getting this game lol. taking all my hours!!!
    Last edited by Carach; March 29, 2015 at 07:19 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast