Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: [BAW 2.0] Chapter III

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Re: [BAW 2.0] Chapter III

I am curious where to put my successor state. Either on southern edge of the Mannasin Dest or Oseto Veli.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    I could probably set something up too, then.
    Odoacer, anyone?

-------------------------------

Another, unrelated idea: What of a state formed by the fall of slavery in the region during the emancipation crusade?
    Think of all the suddenly free manpower, eager to rise in the situation?
    That's actually already in Chesser's plans - he wants to set up a maritime trading culture on that medium-sized island just off the NW coast of Mannasin Dest, founded by ex-slaves who were liberated by the Falinesti crusaders but decided to leave the continent so as to not be subject to their feudal system.

While I'm still working on the Tsuarin, I thought I would post a short summary of the Nazonesti to add some detail to them instead of them being the culture that was conquered by the Teisarian colonists and mostly eliminated from the map.
    Nazonesti

The result of Kuronesti settlement on the Dagash-Shilene islands of which the earliest recordings are by 1500 AU, likely groups of Kuronesti forced off their land by others in the Yugushiral so they developed ships and eventually made their way to the islands, settling across the Dagash-Shilene. Their settlements would consist of wooden buildings with animal fur roofs, usually built close to the coast and around a shrine to their animal gods. The Nazonesti did not name their animal gods out of fear for angering them, the only named deity that would be named is Žeykis, the Kuronesti god of nature(later on delegated to earth). Their shrines would have carvings to represent the animal gods and a small totem to represent Žeykis.

The Nazonesti would become fishermen, whalers, and hunters, using small ships to navigate the seas around their islands, hunting mostly with throwing spears and saying a prayer after killing an animal. They would strive to use every part of the animal possible in some form. Occasional fighting over hunting and fishing spots would occur between settlements, but open warfare between the tribes would be rare. Occasional raids would be launched against the Kuronesti coastal settlements as well, something the northern Nazonesti would end up passing on to the Cerayanesti that would come to inhabit the islands in later centuries. (Nazonesti huntress, warriors)

In 2515 AU, Teisarian colonists would arrive on the western edges of the islands, to which the Nazonesti would begin raiding their settlements as they would be built and eventually end up being conquered by these colonists by 2800 AU with a few tribes remaining independent for some time afterwards. While much o their culture would be destroyed, the Nazonesti would have a lasting impact on the residents of the islands in terms of clothing(their fur-based outfits would become commonplace amongst the peasantry) and fishing/whaling techniques, but the most notable would be through marriages with the colonists and some Kuronesti later on, beginning the process of forming the Yoitaren. (Yoitaren islander warriors, mid 3000s)

Zectorman's Avatar Primicerius

Ok...so...First i would like to saay that I was not aware of this forum or Thread

Second, I hate you BF and LM for not telling me of it months, or a month ago.

Third....

There is so much to literally dig through in content but before I even attempt, having only read maybe the front page worth of content (which was already so much) is there anything left untouched in terms of land or peoples?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgxBxU9wSP8

Ferdinand Von Terl, he knew how to RP before you could even Speak your name!

Quote Originally Posted by Zectorman View Post
    Ok...so...First i would like to saay that I was not aware of this forum or Thread

Second, I hate you BF and LM for not telling me of it months, or a month ago.

Third....

There is so much to literally dig through in content but before I even attempt, having only read maybe the front page worth of content (which was already so much) is there anything left untouched in terms of land or peoples?
    Welcome! I believe the following are still open:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Black - Still completely empty, as far as I recall
    Blue - Used to be occupied by a player's earlier civilization (Dan the Man's Arion) that collapsed fairly recently in the game's timeline; since then, I believe it has remained unoccupied
    Gold - See above, except there are players who want parts of it (Lucius and Dan); however, since their states are just emerging out of Arion's ruins, they may be able to share the space with you - you'll want to talk to them 1st ofc
    Red - Area with only one player (Jacb) who hasn't posted anything yet; I'm hoping each continent could be shared by at least two players, so you could work out a deal with him
    In addition, you might be able to work out a deal with Kaitsar over the giant steppe (beige) in the west-center of the southern continent since it's so vast, or possibly take over said continent's NW corner if you're up for dealing with MuttonChops (whose civilization reaches there, but it got driven out east or something later).

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

I'll be working on a text dump over the next few days to fill in some holes and add some new content to my previous civs, just so everybody knows. Evidently there has been a little confusion on certain aspects lately, admittedly due to my rather vague writing.
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
    I'll be working on a text dump over the next few days to fill in some holes and add some new content to my previous civs, just so everybody knows. Evidently there has been a little confusion on certain aspects lately, admittedly due to my rather vague writing.
    This will be very helpful. Thanks, Dan!

I have something planned for a section of the northern black circle. I also think there's a few more regions open between the two black circles.

I;d be interested in doing something in the Red marked area. Does anyone know if Jacob is still active in this thread? If so i will contact him and see what he had in mind.

It is a whole continent pretty much....

Content Emeritus

Hold up, were my Dafcikar in that area previously? I'm on my tablet again and it's not convenient for me to go searching for a map.

Hold up, were my Dafcikar in that area previously? I'm on my tablet again and it's not convenient for me to go searching for a map.
    I thought they were on the northern islands of that area plus the ones just above it before migrating to Khio Na.

Edit - Seems they were, going by this map of the original game version of Baratun's Empire.

Nah, you were on the SW corner of Khio Na, so just north of it. Though I believe those two small islands at the extreme north edge of the red area (so again, directly bordering Khio Na) were indeed part of the Southern Dafcik domain.

@Zectorman I think Jacb is still in the game, he's just been too busy with schoolwork to participate much. That and he's literally our only player in that corner of the world so far, so I think he'll be fine with sharing as long as you ask him first.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    I thought they were on the northern islands of that area plus the ones just above it before migrating to Khio Na.

Edit - Seems they were, going by this map of the original game version of Baratun's Empire.
    Cheers! Quoting so the map is visible

Well can someone tell me which type of people inhabit the southern western isles? Aside from Dan's claim on the northern island i was wondering. I had an idea for a sort of Pan-Oceanic/Andean cultural blend, though not purely based on them.

That's pretty much up to you. I mean yeah, given the location of the islands I'd expect their inhabitants to look like South Americans - dark hair, dark skin and so on - but you can create any kind of culture you want, from a sedentary warmongering civilization like the Aztecs to barely organized tribes like the Amazonians or even a culture that's more influenced by RL cultures from completely different continents, like European feudal states or China or Indian Buddhists lol. Don't let the geography restrain you too much - for example, my own culture (the Falinesti) has various Indo-European influences while one of Dan's (the Dafcikar) is vaguely Turkic, despite their home (Khio Na, the continent north of the SW islands) being roughly analogous to North America.

On that note, @everyone - would anyone mind me having cocoa and chili peppers (not black pepper, which I have no plans for) originate from the SE corner of Khio Na, and thus being cultivated by the Falinesti?

Content Emeritus

Only if the Empire exports it for some fine Arionic goulash.

EDIT: Actually, something on local cuisine would be incredibly cool! I'll have to add it to my text dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    On that note, @everyone - would anyone mind me having cocoa and chili peppers (not black pepper, which I have no plans for) originate from the SE corner of Khio Na, and thus being cultivated by the Falinesti?
    I have no issue with it. Anyone have an issue with coffee and saffron originate in the southern Essita-En islands..and cultivated by the Tsuarin/Teisarians and Aboriginal tribes of the islands(Kasho and the other tribes referred collectively by the Tsuarin/Teisarians as Anenshi)?

Edit : Lemurian Crystals being found in mines of the southern islands as well.
    Last edited by Xion; September 22, 2014 at 07:51 PM.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Hey, look, another text dump

Expansion, c. 1000 - c. 2300

Starting outwards from Laneida, the classical Katun culture spread to the whole of northern Essita-En, aided by conquests and trade.
    New cities appeared, first in Fano'ak and then in Moddaccanak. But Laneida remained the most powerful and influential population center, commanding tribute from the other tribal states throughout its life.

A Mawokan superstrate likely occurred in many of the islands as new cities and tribes rose, but any Mawokan elite would have been absorbed by the end of the expansive period.
    During the course of expansion, aboriginal groups throughout northern Essita-En and the most eastern piece of Osseto-Veli became Mawokan-ized, adopting Laneida's alphabet and its language.
    The Mawokan language then diffused across the many island regions, setting up new language subgroups descended from Old Mawokan.
    These would be Eneqwan, Fanoese, Nilliwekan, Kashoese, Sakotan, Modaccan, and Marnowan.

The spread of bronze working into the isles from the south and southeast only aided the fast-paced expansion of the culture.

A Katun War Canoe
    Classic Period, c. 2300 - c. 3600

And so the Classic Period begins.
    13 significant tribal city-states emerged, with numerous minor settlements having been added to the list by archaeologists over the years.
    Each was a wealthy trade hub in their own right, but the cultural center and power was still held in the northeast, with the Mawok centers.

The cities and tribes developed monarchies of a sort, giving their high priests ("tukiva", pl. "tukivasa") hereditary power.
    In contrast, the rest of society in the region began to be sorted out through a form of meritocracy, through tests of wit and knowledge.
    Individuals who wanted to serve, enter, or continue into the elite of society had to prove their worth through a primitive form of testing by which the elders and wisemen tested their would-be successors in riddles and debates of any subject. By the end of the period, the region had hammered out rules and methods for this meritocratic system.

Throughout the era, the city-states warred with each off and on, some even subduing others for short periods of time.
    Ambwa-Kamboja of the Fano is a good example of this, having formed the first (though short-lived) multi-city kingdom.

The matter of what they often fought over is clear: trade.
    The classic period coincides with the start of the first world trade network, which is covered in the next chapter.

The weaving of silk was now a fully developed process in the Katun cultural region, with the domestication of the silkworm still specific to the Katun peoples.
    This resource, though plentiful and common to the Katun peoples, would become their key to wealth and trade abroad.
    Besides Silk, they brought jade and cultural items to the table, such as the katun boats themselves.

Katun silk patterns

Depiction of a Katun warship, full of oarsmen and warriors.

A Classical Katun Spear, Iron, c. 3200

The skull of Ambwa-Kamboja, King of the Fano tribes; His deeds are carved into his skull.
    The carving of important peoples' skulls is common place in the culture.

Classical Instruments of the Katun culture; Two drums and a zither.
    Classic Period: Trading with the World

After spreading across the isles, the Katun peoples began sailing far and wide to trade with other peoples.
    This expanded the economic reach of the city-states, which were entirely built on market centers and trade routes.

Selling silk and jade (primarily) abroad, the tribes brought back with them many new technologies and a decent amount of wealth.
    Trading with the Ahunmese, Batu, and western peoples brought in the Iron Age in the 3000's.
    New ideas spread over the islands, coming in from returning voyages full of tales of faraway lands and strange items.

The trade also spelled trouble for the prospering culture: foreign civilizations now knew of their presence.
    The Ahunmese, for example, invaded the Modaccan lands in the late 2000's, setting slave-based colonies to feed off the islander tribes.
    Wars between cities and tribes would often end by the capturing of the losers, and it wasn't uncommon for those losers to end up in Ahunmese slave markets.
    Another example would be the Tsuarin empire taking notice of the Kasho peoples and the more northerly Nilliwek peoples; this led to the eventual conquest of the Kasho lands and the repeated assaults on Nilliwekanak.

From the east across the sea, spices and cocoa came from Khio-Na, and entered into the Katun peoples' everyday diets.

- "Decline & Collapse, c. 3600 - c. 3800"
    - Rebuild c. 3800 - c. 4200
    - around 4200 AU (~200 AD)
    - around 4600 AU (~600 AD)
    - around 4800 AU (~800 AD)

Citizen

Only if the Empire exports it for some fine Arionic goulash.

EDIT: Actually, something on local cuisine would be incredibly cool! I'll have to add it to my text dump.
    Any suggestions for Arionic trade goods, Dan? Especially in the South?

Content Emeritus

I'd imagine there's a pretty study iron output, as well as refined goods like weapons and tools, maybe some textile production, certainly forestry, absolutely olive oil and cheeses in the south in terms of food production. Basically anything you'd expect to find exported in medieval Europe you could probably find in the former Empire.