Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [BAW 2.0] Chapter III

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default [BAW 2.0] Chapter III

Dan wrote an intro for 1.0's chapter 3 that pretty much blows anything I could write out of the water, so instead of boring y'all if I may I'll just leave his OP here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post

Chapter 3 - Histories and Cultures

“Civilization had too many rules for me, so I did my best to rewrite them.”
    -Bill Cosby

The third and final step to Building a World will be far more free-form. In fact, it won't even have a chapter format like the last two steps. Don't misunderstand, this step won't be entirely structureless (that would be suicide in IH), but it will be even more player-driven than previous steps.

This step will also be the most important of all: creating the cultures and civilizations of our world as well as the history which binds them. As previously stated, there will be no chapter structure or "mini-steps" within this step. Rather, players will come up with their own ideas for countries, civilizations, religions, and history, stretching all the way back to the dawn of civilization on our planet and well beyond. While there may not be any defined chapters, there are a few certain objectives which need to be accomplished before our world can be played:

1. The people of our civilizations must be decided. Will we stick only to humans, or will we throw mythological beings into the mix as well?

2. The origins of these people(s) must be decided. Don't worry, it's not necessary to create evolutionary origins or anything, but it is recommended to describe pre-civilized times a little bit. For example, players could consider the following questions: Were there previous sentient species which went extinct because they were outclassed by other species? How did agriculture develop? Did the world experience an Ice Age, like ours did? Not every question has to be answered, but things along those lines should be kept in mind.

3. Basic cultures must be devised. Bear in mind that this does not necessarily mean countries or even entire civilizations. As an example from our own history: Hellenic Culture > Greek City States > Athens, Sparta, Corinth, etc. Multiple countries can share one form of civilization or culture, if the players choose to make it so. This can also include religions.

4. The histories behind these cultures and the countries/civilizations they represent must be devised. Should be self-explanatory.

5. A start/end date dividing our constructed timeline from the beginning of our game has to be decided. This can be anything from the classic pseudo-Medieval setting of many fantasy works, to the modern day, or even a distant future. It can also be any mix of the above, provided it remains somewhat realistic.

Players can do this in any order they wish, provided it's logical enough to end with a coherent world history. In fact, it is entirely possible to "kill multiple birds with one stone" by fulfilling several of these objectives at the same time. However, here are a few hints that I recommend using in order to keep the game running as it was intended:

1. Carefully construct a full and detailed description of whatever civilization(s) you create and then propose them to the rest of the players.

2. Be original! It's okay to copy/paste basic ideas from known civilizations, including those of other fictional universes, but don't create the same cookie-cutter countries over and over again.

3. Get creative! Feel free to create origin myths, legendary heroes, even your own languages for the civilizations you propose! The more creative you are, the more likely it will be that other players will support your ideas.

4. Work together! History doesn't focus on single countries but on entire networks of interrelation and cultural influence. Create your civilizations with other civilizations in mind for a far more immersive and realistic experience.

5. Have fun with it! This game is meant to be an exercise in our collective creativity as a community. Thus, it's supposed to be entertaining for all of us, because we've already proven ourselves to be a creative group of people. Create countries and histories that you think will be fun to play with later on, and you'll find yourself getting far more out of the game than you would otherwise.

ADDENDUM! PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING! ANYTHING YOU POST THAT DOES NOT FOLLOW THIS SUGGESTED ORDER WILL BE IGNORED AND WILL NOT BE USED IN THE GAME!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    A simple-enough system could be put in place, sure. As Dan said, extrapolation is key, so we just need to work methodically from the inception of civilization onwards to build our framework. This is the task that we should all work on, sequentially, as a group (rather than flinging out individual cultures and then coming together as a group to smush them together on the map).

First I'd say need to decide where our "Fertile Crescent" lies. Next, follow along step-by-step as new lands fall into the sphere of civilization, establishing something like a civilization "category" at each step. Dan could function as a discussion moderator to keep us on the topic at hand. After we have this very mild framework, we can start filling in the particulars of cultures - religion, beliefs, architecture, that kind of thing.

For example (just spit-balling on a nonexistent map), our Fertile Crescent would likely be populated by grand cities - whether these are city-states or unified nations would be up for discussion. It might be feasible that one of these cultures were a Phoenicia-esque sea-plying group, resulting in a nearby flatland continent sporting Crescent-inspired cities, but with far more private land-ownership to fill up the expanses. Maybe there's a mountain range that divides the flatlands from a desert - the exchange of information continues through the trade expeditions, but cultural unification (e.g. war, colonization) is prevented because the mountains are too severe for armies, resulting in a culture that has similar religion and technology, but vastly different social constructs and ways of daily life.

I think these things might flow really nicely if we take the time to all weigh in at each stage and offer up different explanations about why a culture might or might not spread at a given point on the map.
    So yeah, just to remind everyone, this is where we can actually post our cultures & civilizations, and discuss them with others to fully bring this collaborative world to life

Default Re: [BAW 2.0] Chapter III

Our maps, for which we also have Dan to thank:

Blank map

Terrain map

Dan's description of each terrain type:
    Dark Green – Taiga: Here defined as a region characterized by the presence of coniferous evergreen trees, mild summer temperatures, very cold winter temperatures, and high precipitation. Compare to Siberia, the Canadian Shield, or northern Scandinavia.
    Light Green – Temperate Deciduous Forest: Here defined as a region characterized by the presence of deciduous broadleaf trees, warm summer temperatures, cold winter temperatures, high soil fertility and high precipitation. Compare to Eastern North America, Europe, and mainland East Asia.
    Green – Tropical Rainforest: Here defined as a region characterized by the presence of evergreen broadleaf trees, hot summer temperatures, warm winter temperatures, acidic soils with low fertility, and heavy precipitation. Compare to the Amazon or Congo rainforests.
    Yellow – Tropical Grassland: Here defined as a region characterized by the presence of tall grass and some tree cover (esp. acacia trees), hot summer temperatures, warm winter temperatures, and low precipitation. Compare to the African Savannah or Pampas region of Argentina.
    Red – Mediterranean: Here defined as a region characterized by the presence of small shrubs and little tree cover, hot summer temperatures, cool winter temperatures, medium to low soil fertility, and medium to low precipitation. Compare to the California Coast or the actual Mediterranean Coast.
    Beige – Temperate Grassland: Here defined as a region characterized by the presence of vast , flat plains of grass (perhaps rolling hills where mountains are present), little tree cover, warm summer temperatures, cold winter temperatures, medium soil fertility, and medium to low precipitation. Compare to the Eurasian Steppe or the North American Prairie.
    Light Gray – Highlands: More of an ecological classification than a climate classification. The temperature conditions of this region vary depending on location. In warm areas, they may experience dry, hot summers and cold winters, and provide a growing place for only light shrubs and grasses. Compare to central Anatolia or the Iranian plateau. In colder regions, especially coastal regions, a marine climate may be observed with heavy precipitation, mild summers, and cool winters. Compare to the Scottish Highlands. Both regions are characterized by very high elevations.
    Dark Gray – Mountains: Similar to highland regions in that their climate may vary depending on geographic location, but always characterized by rocky, infertile soil and very sparse plant life, especially in high mountains. Mountains also tend to create “micro-climates” because they can be obstructive to wind currents and cloud formations.
    Blue – Tundra: Here defined as a region characterized by the presence of sparse plant life, normally in the forms of lichens, mosses, and very hardy shrubs, little to no tree cover, cool summer temperatures, frigid winter temperatures, low soil fertility, and low precipitation. Compare to the northern reaches of Siberia, Canada, Alaska, and Lappland.
    Black X – Inactive volcano: Should be pretty self-explanatory.
    Orange X – Active volcano: Should be pretty self-explanatory.

Continents map

Again, Dan's name & desc for each continent:
    1. Khio Na (KEE-oh NAH): The northwestern continent. Literally translates to "Big west."

2. Astonogo Veli (AH-stohn-OH-goh VEH-li): The large islands south of Khio Na. Not exactly a continent but figured it would be nice to have. Translates to "Warm water islands."

3. Mannasin Dest (MAN-nas-EEN DEST): The north central continent. Literally translates to "Mannas' pride" because the Arionic Imperials are nothing if not pious.

4. Oseto Veli: (os-EH-to VEH-li) The islands directly west of Manasin Dest. Literally translates to "Bountiful islands" because they were historically a rich trade center, as I laid out in the previous incarnation. Also not a continent, but needed a name.

5. Anvakhano (AN-vah-KHA-no): The big southern continent. Literally translates to "Vast" because it's pretty damn big.

6. Essita-ên (ess-EE-tah AYN): The far eastern islands. A compound form of the words for "unknown" and "new" because, due to their distance, these would have been the last islands to be discovered. Again, not a continent, but useful.
    Note that continent 5 is marked 4 as well on that map, and continent 5 is actually continent 6

First things first: we should establish an origin point of humanity, from where Homo Sapiens first migrated all over the globe. This event would happen thousands of years before the first civilization arose of course, say 150-200,000 years ago or so. I have here the 1.0 map of the 'Out of Africa' section of our timeline:

Map

Link: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attac...6&d=1371954106

Yeah, I know, old map. But you guys get the idea of where humanity started & when they began expanding to the various continents, yeah?
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; September 07, 2014 at 06:47 PM.

Next up, our Fertile Crescents and starting mega-broad cultural families. Once more, I must reach into the depths of our old Chapter 3 thread for this demonstration, so mind the obsolete maps. Note also that none of these are anything more than mega-broad cultural families, NOT civilizations or even individual culture; each described culture group is the equivalent to 'Indo-European' or 'East Asian' for us, extremely broad definitions that cover countless individual cultures and civs.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I've gone ahead and whipped up a real rudimentary model to illustrate some of the ideas I described earlier. This is meant to foster discussion, not necessarily be the single foundation we work forward from.
    As a rule of thumb: Each letter refers to a "Culture Group", while each number relates to the "core" or "foundation" (1), with each succeeding number being less related to the core or founding group. The red lines represent "culture clash", where distinct historical culture groups begin to blend and share similarities politically and socially, but not ethnically.

• A1
      Our "Fertile Crescent", which I'll refer to as the "Delta Culture". This is the foundation of civilization, resulting in a largely city-based culture (city-states and leagues, though I'd suggest the concept of "nationhood" come from another region on the map). Also the inventor of the first historical alphabet and system of record-keeping.
    • A2
      The first areas of expansion of the Delta Culture - climate and terrain similarities foster the building of new cities to accommodate trade and population demands, despite the lack of a river delta foundation that spawned the culture in the first place. A2 would be very close to A1 in cultural beliefs and foundations, but the focus on farmland would be diminished, perhaps in favor of warfare and technology.
    • A3
      Colonies and expansion (e.g. conquest) of the warlike A2 group. I envision great differences in popular desire between A3 and the other Delta Cultures as a result of a warlike intervention - they feel less tied to the initial A1 group, and therefore look across the seas for their identities. They would share the city-centered focus of the Delta Culture, but perhaps with less individual identity (perhaps the birthplace of the first nation-state?). A3 is a sea-faring and trading culture.
    • A4
      The grasslands of the continent were never favorable for the grand cities of the Delta group, and were settled intermittently by groups from all Delta subgroups. Here we might see something akin to feudalism, as farming is replaced by pasturing and livestock-based economies.
    • B1
      B1 represents the remnants of our Origin of Man that remained behind during the great migrations - I will refer to this culture group as the "Aboriginal Culture". This culture is highly tribal, as tradition is highly valued thanks to a history that extends well-past the written record and into the oral traditions of the elderly, cave paintings, and rock art. A tribal society, but developing townships and villages thanks to influence from the A4 Delta Culture, and even more importantly adopting the Delta Culture system of writing.
    • B2
      Expansion into the tropical forests that provided enough moisture and water to sustain life. Almost a regression to hunter/gatherer societies, as the dense forests are prohibitive of town-building yet are simultaneously rich enough to feed plenty of people. Almost complete isolation from the Delta Culture, who have no interest (or capabilities, for that matter) of crossing the great desert or penetrating the tropical forest.
    • B3
      Very few fractured tribes have penetrated the desert interior, resulting in nomadic tribes that have no permanent settlements aside from communal oases that are frequent points of war. Share the tribal structures of the other Aboriginal cultures, but are otherwise very distinct thanks to a self-created geographic isolation.
    • B4
      Colonists of the B2 Aboriginal Culture, either via adventure or by mistake, find themselves upon the tropical islands of the east that are readily adaptable thanks to similar climates and terrain. B4 is highly related to B2, but islands present a finite amount of ground to browse and hunt and a warlike culture of dominance has resulted in tribes subjugating each other into unified kingdoms.
    • C1
      Evolved in the isolation of the northern alpine ranges, I will call this group the "Barbarian Culture". Hardy peoples evolving in harsh climates with barren lands and little resources to waste, the Barbarian Culture has seen a society somewhere between the cities of the Delta and the tribes of the Aboriginals - large clans and intermarried family groups settling in unwalled towns and forts. Their hardy lives have caused them to be extremely adaptable, and the Barbarian Culture group readily adopts the best influences from foreign cultures. It features its own independently-developed system of writing.
    • C2
      The C2 and C3 subgroups were products of a single migratory wave, but differentiated due to different foreign influences. The C2 group has most close contact with the A1 Aboriginals, and has taken up tribal doctrines and governments. Each individual clan of the C2 is far more centralized than any C1 clan, but interplay between clans is rare and frequently violent as rivalries and feuds rage.
    • C3
      The C3 subgroup is most closely influenced by the seafaring A3 Delta group. Based on influence and a satisfactory wooded terrain, the C3 Barbarians are hardly "barbaric", building small walled hill-top cities and adopting the weapons and technologies of the Delta Culture.

This map has three distinct Culture Groups with distant cores, but it shows you where and how cultural blending can occur. For example, C3 might be more closely related to C1 ethnically, but look far closer to A3 politically and socially. This map also takes into account certain aspects of culture-clash that are more complicated than simple migration. For example, A3 has reacted against A1 because it was founded through conquest, and if we were to design the specific peoples living there we might see them reject A1's chosen pantheon or abolish certain A1 policies. C1 is formed of the last people to migrate to the island (which was settled south to north), but has become the core founder of a Cultural Group that overtook its older southern cousins thanks to a more effective (and more dominant) society that evolved in the mountains. The Aboriginal Culture may be distinct from the Delta Culture socially and politically, but shares a huge common ground by adopting the Delta Culture system of writing. Etc. etc. so on and so forth.

This was more of a word-dump than I intended, my apologies. I can further populate the world with other Culture Groups if you guys like the model I've used so far.

I have a religion completed which I will be releasing at the right time. For now, let's get our fertile crescents and early civs down. Taking together the previous proposals, I put forth the following:
    Purple: Kip's suggestion for our aboriginal culture, which I see developing into the Batu Culture proposed by Mutton. The arrows indicate a general direction of influence and interaction, while the lines and circles show an area of settlement by this culture. Since this is a primarily tribal/clan-based society, there is no hard border as there is with the red, yellow, and blue regions, which I see as being composed mostly of small localized petty kingdoms and city states if not full-blown nation states. As you can see, the Aboriginal Culture exerts some influence over the orange region. Since the orange region is meant to be Perry's 'Egypt' equivalent, I thought that if the Aboriginal Culture were to give rise to the Batu Culture, the Batu Culture could in turn represent the equivalent of the Nubians or Kushites. Other migration patterns follow Kip's general design.

Red: The Delta Culture, also as suggested by Kip. I see this culture as being something more quintessentially Mesopotamian, blending influences from Assyria, Babylon, Akkad, Sumeria, etc. The path of cultural influence follows the same general pattern implemented by Kip, but I also made note of potentially strong influence on Perry's 'Egypt.'

Blue: The Northern River Culture is the first of the two other fertile crescents I'm proposing. I see this civilization as being analogous to Pre-Indo-European neolithic 'Old Europe,' as suggested by archaeologist Marija Gimbutas. As such, this culture would exemplify the few remaining non-Indo-European cultural groups in Europe attested in written historical record, especially the Iberians, Etruscans, and Pelasgians. Society would be based primarily on units of fishing villages along the river united under a single high king, with economies likely dependent on fishing from the river as well as agricultural activity on the banks. With the coming of the 'Barbarian Culture,' this civilization was almost wiped out, with survivors heading northwest and away from the onslaught of the invaders, as indicated by the broken line and circle pointing in that direction.

Yellow: Finally for our fertile crescent civs we have the Lake Culture. This particular civilization draws some inspiration from the pre-Aryan civilizations of the Indus valley (IE - Mohenjo-daro). Ethnically and culturally I'd imagine they're quite closely connected to the Northern River Culture, and therefore probably quite dissimilar from anything we'd identify with India, but they would follow a course of history similar to the Dravidian People. Rather than being completely displaced like their cousins in the north, this civilization would blend its own traditions with those of the coming barbarians in a way similar to the blending of Dravidian and Indo-European culture in Northern India following the arrival of the Aryans. Some displacement is involved, as you can see by the migration to the southern isles, but on a much smaller scale than that seen in the north.

Green: Kip's 'Barbarian Culture,' which I identified with the Indo-Europeans of our own world history. Starting as a single unit of nomads in one of the more marginal areas of the world, the Barbarian Culture initially began a slow migration to the South, bringing their culture, religion, language, and technology with them. Some degree of cultural blending began in the islands to the extreme east of their range in a way similar to the blending of local Minoan and Egyptian culture in ancient Crete. Later, with the advent of sea travel in this world's equivalent of the Bronze Age, the Barbarian Culture would begin to move westward to raid and eventually colonize the shores of the western continent in a manner similar to the Sea Peoples of our own world's history, though with a greater degree of success as they manage to move further inland and displace or merge with the native populations.

Orange: Finally, we have Perry's 'Egypt' stand-in, distinguished from the fertile crescent civs in that this civilization developed only slightly later. It is under the influence of the Aboriginal Culture in the form of the Batu people, while also taking a lot of influence from the Delta Culture to the south. With the coming of this world's equivalent of the Bronze Age and reliable sea travel, this civilization began to interact and exchange influence with the Barbarian Culture to the north.

White, Gray, and Black borders: Regions of initial urbanization - Black is primary, white is secondary, and gray is tertiary. Areas within the black border are the sites of the earliest evidence of human cities, dating to our world's equivalent of the Chalcolithic Period/Copper Age (roughly 5,000 to 3,000 BC our time) and are inside and in the hinterland of our three fertile crescents. Areas within the gray border are the sites of secondary urbanization dating to our world's equivalent of the Bronze Age (roughly 3,000 to 1,000 BC) and under the influence of the earlier civilizations of our fertile crescents. Finally, the lands within the gray borders are the tertiary stage of urbanization dating to our world's equivalent of the Iron Age (roughly 1,000 BC to 500 AD). This stage of urbanization incorporates all but the most marginal areas of the world, under the influence of the two preceding stages of urbanization.

Map: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attac...1&d=1372126254

Suggestions and comments are hugely welcome!

So, what do you guys think of the above? Shall we keep them, expand on them, etc.?
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; September 07, 2014 at 06:55 PM.

The above two posts have been updated

Finally, here are some examples from BaW 1.0 of what I'm expecting in terms of your creations. Basically, start with a broader culture first (ex. Germanic), then work your way up into specific cultures if you happened to have created a broad culture family (ex. Anglo-Saxons, Lombards, Goths), and finally the actual civilizations (ex. England, Italy, Spain).

Behold, Dan's megapost on some of the cultures and civilizations of the Northern Continent (Mannasin Dest) from 1.0: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post12980677 As you can see he's got it all - a broad cultural family, followed by individual cultures and actual states, complete with languages and such. For the record, I'll be keeping his Arionic Empire - he's given me the right to modify it, which I will soon enough, so keep an eye out for that.

Here's another example, also by Dan: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post12999721 Same as above btw, they're still in the game and I have some designs for them that Dan's approved me putting into action.

And I think that should be it for instructions & blasts from the past. Does anybody have any questions or suggestions to make, or would you fellows rather jump right into the culture/civ-building process?

My opinion is to perhaps change the Aboriginal culture to a Altaic one to accommodate Lucius' Long Ren, my Teisarians, Barry's Nepalese culture, the Not!Korean culture Barry and I have worked on, and any other culture ideas from the players, the 'Egypt' will become the Aboriginal culture(or the Aboriginal is moved elsewhere). As for the others, perhaps expand on them and consider adding another culture or two if several players' ideas for a culture doesn't really fit into one of the present ones..as there's no real point in adding a Fertile Crescent that may be completely isolated for a single player's idea to use.

I'm only suggesting the Altaic shift as this game has several Asiatic cultures being presented instead of just one or two.
    Last edited by Xion; September 07, 2014 at 07:22 PM.

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

Just for a bit of perspective, the Aboriginal culture represented literally the only black people we had. Also Mutton worked really hard on that stuff and I don't think it would be fair to totally retconn it. I advise moving it rather than totally deleting.
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Whatever needs to be done to ensure the migration of the Altaic and Asian cultures has there own little space is fine by me. Just as long as they have their spot. I will leave it up to the devs as they know what they are doing.

I am doing some heavy historical work right now for the Not!Chinese culture then I will go around doing some more for the Not!Altaic tribes to the West of them.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

^I just dropped a VM on Mutton's profile page, let's give him some time respond. I also dropped a PM to Perry some time ago to alert him of this game, but he's yet to respond.

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

I'm very much against retconning the existing cultural maps. Dan's outlined the major reasons, but I'm also little hesitant with all this "Not!Asian" talk. Just copy-pasting Earth cultures into this world is boring, and just trying to find a place in the map to stick it kinda confirms that we're working backwards from civilization, instead of forwards from culture group. I for one think it would be fascinating if the "Asian" inspired cultures in this world were ethnically black, and painted with a tribal palette instead of a cosmopolitan one.

Citizen

I'm very much against retconning the existing cultural maps. Dan's outlined the major reasons, but I'm also little hesitant with all this "Not!Asian" talk. Just copy-pasting Earth cultures into this world is boring, and just trying to find a place in the map to stick it kinda confirms that we're working backwards from civilization, instead of forwards from culture group. I for one think it would be fascinating if the "Asian" inspired cultures in this world were ethnically black, and painted with a tribal palette instead of a cosmopolitan one.
    I am willing to accept this actually. I will have two intentions:
    1. The Not!Asian culture starts off as the copy and paste Chinese culture and, over time, assimilates other cultures that change it
    2. The Not!Asian culture is already made of many influences.

I know of the cultures that Xion and Barry mentioned (Teserians and some Korean culture). I believe yours is Aztec right, Kip? And I believe Barry mentioned a Indian culture somewhere either within or nearby the present day empire. For the sake of creativity, I am willing to bow down to this suggestion and take it. Just now to determine what other cultures to throw into the melting pot.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Wait this started back up? When?

I remember contributing a bit but probably don't have much time for this. However I must say I agree with Kip. Just copying real civs is not interesting in the way that including portions of other civilizations to include your own unique culture. Just going "Not China but totally China" makes things quite boring.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    1. The Not!Asian culture starts off as the copy and paste Chinese culture and, over time, assimilates other cultures that change it

I know of the cultures that Xion and Barry mentioned (Teserians and some Korean culture). I believe yours is Aztec right, Kip? And I believe Barry mentioned a Indian culture somewhere either within or nearby the present day empire. For the sake of creativity, I am willing to bow down to this suggestion and take it. Just now to determine what other cultures to throw into the melting pot.
    Also as Kip said, let's work our way forward from broad culture groups to various actual civilizations first. Like, do all of our Asian cultures belong to one group, or are they divided into multiple groups with different ethnic & lingual roots? (think the Austronesian or Sino-Tibetan families)

@ggggtotalwarrior Yep, this just restarted just a little over a week ago I think. Welcome back!

Hm..I'd probably keep the Teisarians as a semi-Atlantean/Phoenician offshoot of the Deltic culture with some Japanese influences(if you're okay with that Kip) who migrate to the Southern islands and conquer the local Aboriginal tribes like they were in 1.0. The Teisarians develop as a culture from that offshoot probably around 500-1000 AU?

An alternative could be a Indian/Vietnamese influenced culture descended from the Aboriginal tribes over time after they develop small kingdoms on the islands and fight with each other for control of the seas and islands.

Edit :
    Or have them be the descendants of a Sea People invasion of the Northern Islands of Essita-En that are Minoan/Japanese/some Scandinavian in influences that conquer the locals.
    Last edited by Xion; September 07, 2014 at 08:41 PM.

Citizen

After talking with Barry, I am gonna make a fusion of Indian-Chinese once Barry has made the necessary info for this Indian-influenced culture. Is that alright with everyone?

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post

By no means do you have to take that idea as gospel - you could also certainly choose to have your culture spring forth from the cosmopolitan Deltaic family instead of the tribal Aboriginal family. That was just one idea to illustrate how a culture can be designed with its prototype culture family in mind, and in my opinion turn into something far more fascinating.

Gone 2 the Celts's Avatar Primicerius

The culture I'm working on is a sort of Inuit/Viking group. Not sure which original group they offshoot from, but they're going to reach Khio Na around 1600AU. That leaves plenty of space to fit in migrations across the continents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip Bohannon View Post
    I'm actually quite fond of Egyptian mythology. I'm quite fond of anything with golden penises, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone 2 the Celts View Post
    The culture I'm working on is a sort of Inuit/Viking group. Not sure which original group they offshoot from, but they're going to reach Khio Na around 1600AU. That leaves plenty of space to fit in migrations across the continents.
    Sounds like they would come off the Northern Culture to me.

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

Plenty of room in the tundra north of Mannasin Dest.
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast