Thread: Hoplites Pushing too much?

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Default Hoplites Pushing too much?

Does anyone have concerns on this also? I find all hoplites pushes too intensely when attacking a unit and most of the time it becomes a huge blob at the end.

Is there a way to mod this out? like give the hoplites the animation of the sword units so they can also be pushed and same time steps back while being attacked?

Or is this already one of the concerns on the modders and will be changed for the next complete version of EBII?

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Hoplites Pushing too much?

There might be a stat bug with the hoplite units, by using the spear attribute instead of light_spear. Try a custom battle with two etruscan hoplite units, they are the only hoplite with the light spear attribute and they look more cohesive.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to
    (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Theres a bit of a difference though between the other hoplites. But im still looking for that step back animation for hoplites when attacked by a charging unit. If they can do that in sword units and under hand spear units. Well there might be a possibility to do that with the overhand hoplites too.

Something is definitely wrong with hoplites in melee, they've gone from one of the most solid, most enduring units (in EB1) to little better than any other unit, and easily worn down.

It is not so much pushing as not keeping in formation. The whole point of the hoplite formation was to push, after all.

I remember seeing this in MTW2 vanilla. When units attack about 1/10 actually charge, the rest hold back and just stand there aimlessly.

Cool, just saw the link. They need to have the light spear attribute instead of the regular spear attribute. When I changed the export_descr_unit file I messed up my install...the error log reads with a huge list of problems, and I'm not sure how.
    Last edited by Thuycidides; September 07, 2014 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuycidides View Post
    When I changed the export_descr_unit file I messed up my install...the error log reads with a huge list of problems, and I'm not sure how.
    Did you use Notepad or Notepad++ to make the changes? On some people's machines, using the former corrupts the file.

Yes, I used notepad. I never had a problem with EB1.

Ok, got EB2 running again, installed notepad ++, and EB2 still crashes when I try to change the weapon attribute to light_spear instead of spear.

Fortunately, now when I set it back everything works fine.
    Last edited by Thuycidides; September 07, 2014 at 10:51 AM.