Page 32 of 156 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132333435363738394041425782132 ... LastLast

Thread: The original thread

Default Re: COW: Beginning of The End Times

Yes it is my good sir, except it's a full standalone experience, brought for free directly to you by a team of passionate modders determined to provide the ultimate Warhammer fantasy battle experience.

When do you think this will be out?

As the devs have said many, many times in this thread: the mod is expected to be ready sometime slightly before Total War: Warhammer.

Oh okay.

soulcoughin's Avatar Foederatus

Holy Jesus! Are some of you that incompetent to read through and see that as modders we release when we want to release! If you want a great kick off product then you will have to wait!
    That is it! End of story!

Hell I am not even modding this and I am feeling the pain! So show some respect!

Rant over!

Here's a nice showcase of the Karak settlement under siege in a Skaven vs. Night Goblins battle from the campaign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXrJqoy25tc

Be sure to check out their other videos, which seem to be all campaign battles.

Nice stuff. I see the Skaven have gotten their new voices. Awesome! You guys made new random maps as well? They seem more fleshed out

Btw is there any chance of getting a status from you guys? Not as in "is it done soon", but more or less about whats left and how things are getting along? Sorry but my hype is uncontrollable :|

Quote Originally Posted by WhiffOfGrapeshot View Post
    Here's a nice showcase of the Karak settlement under siege in a Skaven vs. Night Goblins battle from the campaign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXrJqoy25tc

Be sure to check out their other videos, which seem to be all campaign battles.

Beautiful Video! One thing though I saw, was that the ballista towers, (thought beautifully made to look like dwarf defensive towers) hardly shot at all at the siege equipment, like ever. and i noticed it as well in the original mod. might be something to look into it! keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by Javesh View Post
    Nice stuff. I see the Skaven have gotten their new voices. Awesome! You guys made new random maps as well? They seem more fleshed out
    Those are battles in the campaign, so generated at random based on the terrain. The campaign map is huge and very varied, so you should be able to get all kinds of battle maps playing as the different factions (Or if you're building a massive empire)

Quote Originally Posted by Javesh View Post
    Btw is there any chance of getting a status from you guys? Not as in "is it done soon", but more or less about whats left and how things are getting along? Sorry but my hype is uncontrollable :|
    Balancing, new units, fixing bugs, trying to get the AI to behave appropriately, more/better text, some campaign scripts, strat map models, famous heroes, adding projectiles, uh... lot of stuff, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tarenor View Post
    Beautiful Video! One thing though I saw, was that the ballista towers, (thought beautifully made to look like dwarf defensive towers) hardly shot at all at the siege equipment, like ever. and i noticed it as well in the original mod. might be something to look into it! keep up the good work
    Good catch. That is odd. Maybe we'll take a look at the files associated with that, I dunno why that is. But that video does show the Karaks as very tough to crack.
    Last edited by WhiffOfGrapeshot; March 11, 2016 at 03:48 PM.

Yeah I'm just happy we finally have some custom settlements! (Much love to tomdoof for the Karaks!) The more I play the tester-version - the more I am realizing that I will most likely loose at least 1 whole year to this lol!

I know you guys are swamped with questions, but one thing I'm curious about and haven't seen spoken about in the thread (it's possible I didn't look hard enough) is the subject of stability? I only just recently got in to CoW, I got it working and everything, but it seems me and quite a few other people have/had issues with it crashing very frequently on the campaign map. Most turns I got through in a row before a CTD was 15. I'm not asking for support since I looked through all of that already and did all the fixes I could (trust me), so I've just come to accept that it's a very complicated mod and these things are inevitable, especially since there are so many scripts running. Important thing is that the autosaves still work so I never lose much progress.

I'm rambling so I guess my question is: will this standalone submod improve on the stability? Are crashes currently frequent? Is it one of your priorities to remove or prevent crashes? Sorry if this has been asked before, this is seriously one of the things that kept me from fully enjoying CoW and has led to more than a few discontented sighs interrupting the fun, and this mod shows so much promise so it would be a crying shame if it suffered from the same plague.

The mod is looking fantastic. I can't wait try out the lizardmen. The models look incredible.

Anyway, here's a couple of ideas. I've never done any modding, so I've got no idea how tough any of this would be to implement. Just a list of stuff that I think would be cool to see.

*I've only played human campaigns, so that’s why my ideas mostly involve human factions.

- Generic Empire Knight Unit

Something that always annoyed me about COW was the Empire faction's lack of cav. In terms of shock cavalry you just get the inner circle knights + your faction's unique knight unit. I found that in Empire campaigns I was only able to have 2/3 units of shock cav in each of my armies. It would be nice to have a generic "empire knights" unit that aren't ridiculously expensive and can be recruited from anywhere. Their stats could be brought down accordingly.

- Expanded Empire Free Garrison Roster

I think that if all empire state troops (swordsman, halberdiers et) could be garrisoned freely it would lead to more varied sieges. By the end of an Empire campaign I'd gotten real sick of seeing free company and empire spearmen.

- Tone down the hp of Stone Trolls/Chaos Ogres

These bastards man... unless you snipe them with artillery or something than it takes an eternity to kill them. It just gets boring after awhile.

- Recruitable Mercenaries [again]

I'm not sure why 1.6 removed your ability to recruit mercenaries. I loved having full stacks of just mercenaries. It was like your own little dogs of war army.

Another problem with having just retrainable mercenaries was that sometimes the mercenary captains spawn at inopportune times. During my last campaign I was able to hire Golfag but I had to disband almost all the Ogre units. The upkeep was killing my economy.

- Kislev Mercenaries

On the topic of mercenaries, it seems strange that Kislev is only able to recruit a small number of mercenary captains. Surely the ones who'll work for the Empire will work for Kislev - money is money right?

Same goes for the Border Princes.

- Empire Encampment/Kislev Encampment

I like how it’s possible to recruit Norsca units from Erengrad. It made me think of how awesome it would be able to recruit Empire units when you’re playing Kislev, and vice versa. Obviously not the whole faction roster, just the non-elite stuff (Kislev - empire state-troops, maybe greatsword/pistoliers, Empire – hussars, spearmen). You could recruit these units from barracks in cities near the border. Imo more unit variety is always good. More fun playing them, and more fun playing against them.

I’m not too familiar with warhammer lore, so I don’t know the above would be canon or not.

Rebelling Settlements

In most of my COW campaigns, the ai had real trouble with rebelling settlements. They’d typically leave one general behind after conquering a settlement. But then invariably the settlement would rebel and the ai army would have to come back to conquer it again. This really weakened the effectiveness of the ai.

To fix this problem maybe the unrest level could be brought down for conquered cities?

Just some ideas. Keep up the great work.

Hey guys I've played the CoW mod since it's 1.3 release and I've enjoyed it a lot.. However, recently with the 1.6 my feelings have dwindled due to their decision to remove population growth. It is entirely different because of this with how your economy works and how you generate income.
    I don't want to quit playing this mod so I decided to come to the sub mods to see if there are any solutions.
    Are you planning on keeping population growth with your release? This is the only question I have and it's a deciding factor on whether or not I keep playing the mod in general.
    Thanks for reading and possibly replying.
    Cheers,
    Horus

Quote Originally Posted by WeaselWarDance View Post
    - Generic Empire Knight Unit

Something that always annoyed me about COW was the Empire faction's lack of cav. In terms of shock cavalry you just get the inner circle knights + your faction's unique knight unit. I found that in Empire campaigns I was only able to have 2/3 units of shock cav in each of my armies. It would be nice to have a generic "empire knights" unit that aren't ridiculously expensive and can be recruited from anywhere. Their stats could be brought down accordingly.
    There's more cav to be had.

I think that if all empire state troops (swordsman, halberdiers et) could be garrisoned freely it would lead to more varied sieges. By the end of an Empire campaign I'd gotten real sick of seeing free company and empire spearmen.
    Yeah, it makes little sense the same unit (Empire State Troops) with a different weapon would change their free upkeep status.

- Tone down the hp of Stone Trolls/Chaos Ogres

These bastards man... unless you snipe them with artillery or something than it takes an eternity to kill them. It just gets boring after awhile.
    Possibly, although the point of that is that Trolls are both really really tough and have special regeneration, so they're incredibly hard to kill.

- Recruitable Mercenaries [again]

I'm not sure why 1.6 removed your ability to recruit mercenaries. I loved having full stacks of just mercenaries. It was like your own little dogs of war army.
    One of the main features of the mod is radically expanded mercenaries, and we have a Dogs of War faction, so... yeah. The mercenary system is very overhauled, so some of your questions aren't really relevant anymore.

I like how it’s possible to recruit Norsca units from Erengrad. It made me think of how awesome it would be able to recruit Empire units when you’re playing Kislev, and vice versa. Obviously not the whole faction roster, just the non-elite stuff (Kislev - empire state-troops, maybe greatsword/pistoliers, Empire – hussars, spearmen). You could recruit these units from barracks in cities near the border. Imo more unit variety is always good. More fun playing them, and more fun playing against them.
    Possibly. We're working on some AOR stuff, but we don't want to take it so far that factions start having less unique feels. And the campaign's balance and AI are being overhauled. So far AI holds its cities pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by HorusCrowlix View Post
    Hey guys I've played the CoW mod since it's 1.3 release and I've enjoyed it a lot.. However, recently with the 1.6 my feelings have dwindled due to their decision to remove population growth. It is entirely different because of this with how your economy works and how you generate income.
    I don't want to quit playing this mod so I decided to come to the sub mods to see if there are any solutions.
    Are you planning on keeping population growth with your release? This is the only question I have and it's a deciding factor on whether or not I keep playing the mod in general.
    Thanks for reading and possibly replying.
    Cheers,
    Horus
    We've discussed it a lot, and we agree that no population growth just isn't as fun, especially since many factions would logically exterminate the populations rather than occupy, and after a couple rounds of that, settlements end up almost worthless. We're probably not going to have it too very high, since it's 12 turns per year, but some level of growth is going to be there.

Is there a newer version of the mod for beta testers btw? The one I have is from about 2 months ago when you started asking for testers.

Remi_'s Avatar Laetus

Hey guys,
    New unit coming, hope you'll like it.

That looks like something from Total War: Warhammer. Awesome job!

Holy Mother of Sigmar!!!

...sorry I just had a nerd-gasm! Never thought, I'd get aroused from a Lizardman!

Can't wait for this! I'll play this way more than Total war: Warhammer. Awesome keep up the work

Quote Originally Posted by WhiffOfGrapeshot View Post

Good catch. That is odd. Maybe we'll take a look at the files associated with that, I dunno why that is. But that video does show the Karaks as very tough to crack.
    You're welcome and I loved how tough it was, I even saw (idk if on purpose) that you can actually put units on gate houses!!!! been wanting that fixed forever

As for the towers, yeah I first noticed it when the Orcs sieged one of my cities as Riekland, they take two shots at the towers then just noped out. good luck and glad I could help!