Thread: [Pritanoi question]Celtic chariots

Default [Pritanoi question]Celtic chariots

Hi there! I recemtly started a campaign with the Pritanoi. You atsrtwith an unit of celtic chariots which I found quite useful whem employed right. Manoeuvering them behind enemy infantry can break their whole battle line. However several conquests haved reduced the unit to barely nothing and I wanges to know how to recruit new ones. What I saw in the building descriptions is that most of the better Pritanoi units can only be receuitend when a settlement can be upgraded to a city (6000 household). But nowhere can I find a line mentionong chariots. Is there a special building/resource needed? Or is there aa reform wauting to be triggered? Has anybody made their experiences with the "British" yet? ;-)

Default Re: [Pritanoi question]Celtic chariots

Playing as the pritanoi up to turn 223 and I got 3/4 of my settlements to 6000 and above and upgraded them. Even after building most of the structures I could, I couldnt find anything anywhere about being able to build chariots save for the first ones I had. Same thing goes for that heavy cavalry you start with. I think they are meant to be acquired through reforms but the pritanois dont seem to have any yet.
    The only thing you cannot do with a bayonet is sit on it. Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord,1st Prime Minister of France, Prince of Benevento.

casse_king city requires factions { f_casse, } and not building_present govallied and hidden_resource briton and event_counter ecCasseKing 1

Yes, you need one of the reforms.

But are these reforms in the mod yet? The conditions you listed aren't very clear to me.
    The only thing you cannot do with a bayonet is sit on it. Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord,1st Prime Minister of France, Prince of Benevento.

Quote Originally Posted by Seimour View Post
    But are these reforms in the mod yet? The conditions you listed aren't very clear to me.
    I'm not sure if they are; the reforms thread doesn't list them.

Doesnt makes much sense for you to need a reform for a unit you start with.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Yes, the reforms exist.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;;
    ;; CASSE KINGDOM SCRIPT
    ;;
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    set_event_counter ecCasseKing 0
    set_event_counter ecCasseKingdomSmall 0
    set_event_counter ecCasseKingdomLarge 0
    set_event_counter ecCasseKingdomHuge 0
    declare_counter NumCasseKingdoms
    declare_counter CasseMarketRequirement
    declare_counter CasseTempleRequirement
    declare_counter CassePortRequirement
    declare_counter CasseCavalryRequirement

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType f_casse ;;; increase the counter per city with developed market under direct Casse rule
    and SettlementBuildingExists > casseprec
    and SettlementBuildingExists > market_two
    inc_counter CasseMarketRequirement 1
    if I_EventCounter ecCasseKing = 1
    terminate_monitor
    end_if
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType f_casse ;;; increase the counter per city with developed battle temple under direct Casse rule
    and SettlementBuildingExists > temple_of_battle_L2
    inc_counter CasseTempleRequirement 1
    terminate_monitor
    end_if
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType f_casse ;;; increase the counter per city with developed farming temple under direct Casse rule
    and SettlementBuildingExists > temple_of_farming_L2
    terminate_monitor
    end_if
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType f_casse ;;; increase the counter per city with developed fertility temple under direct Casse rule
    and SettlementBuildingExists > temple_of_fertility_L2
    terminate_monitor
    end_if
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType f_casse ;;; increase the counter per city with developed forge temple under direct Casse rule
    and SettlementBuildingExists > temple_of_forge_L2
    terminate_monitor
    end_if
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType f_casse ;;; increase the counter per city with developed fun temple under direct Casse rule
    and SettlementBuildingExists > temple_of_fun_L2
    terminate_monitor
    end_if
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType f_casse ;;; increase the counter per city with developed governor temple under direct Casse rule
    and SettlementBuildingExists > temple_of_governors_L2
    terminate_monitor
    end_if
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType f_casse ;;; increase the counter per city with port under Casse rule
    and SettlementBuildingExists >= port
    inc_counter CassePortRequirement 1
    terminate_monitor
    end_if
    end_monitor

monitor_event UnitTrained FactionType f_casse ;;; increase the counter per city with port under Casse rule
    and TrainedUnitCategory cavalry
    inc_counter CasseCavalryRequirement 1
    terminate_monitor
    end_if
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType f_casse ;;; increase the counter per every region under King's rule
    and SettlementBuildingExists = casse_king
    inc_counter NumCasseKingdoms 1
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionType f_casse
    if I_EventCounter ecCasseKing = 0
    and I_CompareCounter CasseMarketRequirement > 1
    and I_CompareCounter CasseTempleRequirement > 2
    and I_CompareCounter CassePortRequirement > 3
    and I_CompareCounter CasseCavalryRequirement > 9
    set_event_counter ecCasseKing 1
    historic_event HE_CASSE_KING factions { f_casse, }
    end_if

if I_EventCounter ecCasseKing = 1 ;;; the one starting region does not count

if I_CompareCounter NumCasseKingdoms < 3 ;;; 2 regions = no penalty
    end_if

if I_CompareCounter NumCasseKingdoms > 2
    and I_CompareCounter NumCasseKingdoms < 5 ;;; 3-4 regions = small penalty
    set_event_counter ecCasseKingdomSmall 1
    end_if

if I_CompareCounter NumCasseKingdoms > 4
    and I_CompareCounter NumCasseKingdoms < 7 ;;; 5-6 regions = minor penalty
    set_event_counter ecCasseKingdomLarge 1
    end_if

if I_CompareCounter NumCasseKingdoms > 6 ;;; more than 6 regions = large penalty
    set_event_counter ecCasseKingdomHuge 1
    end_if

end_if

set_counter NumCasseKingdoms 0 ;;; reset the counters every turn
    set_counter CasseMarketRequirement 0 ;;; reset the counters every turn
    set_counter CasseTempleRequirement 0 ;;; reset the counters every turn
    set_counter CassePortRequirement 0 ;;; reset the counters every turn

end_monitor
    It's in two stages: first the Pritanoi become a kingdom, which allows the building of the highest factional govt in the British Isles, allowing the recruiting of companion units. For this, they need to build 1 market_two, 2 L_2 temples of different gods, 3 ports, and to train 9 cavalry units.

Then the size of the kingdom is judged -- if small, low level factional govts lose their law bonus; if it's large, low and medium level lose their law bonuses; and if huge they all lose their law bonuses. (this is from the EDB file, not the script)

I prefer Gaulish and German units to the British Companion units -- better armor and missile attack.

ETA: I don't see any chariots recruitable for the Pritanoi, but I might be missing something.
    Last edited by Ballpoint202; September 07, 2014 at 12:29 PM.

Thank you very much. I need to train more cavalry it seems. I only have two levels of government for my cities.

Thank you Ballpoin202, that was very helpful!

delra's Avatar Praepositus

I think it's nice that you get to start with a more advanced units that you cannot immediately recruit. It gives you a nice preview of sorts, regarding what your army is going to look like after a couple hundred turns.

All that, and it's easier for devs to balance units if they have the whole (or at least most of) roster in the game right at start.

Well, but it isnt realistic though IMO. If you have a unit available at the start, it means your nation already has all the knowledge and the resources (and the culture to train such a unit) to build at least 1 of that unit. Meaning no reform required, unless that starting unit was a far away mercenary, and your nation would have a reform later on to completely addapt your whole army to the military tactics of that single unit, which isnt the case.. Reforms are supposed to represent a great change of the military culture, be it from outside influence or learning through setbacks and etc...

Just the fact that you already start with a chariot, and that if it wasnt for the chariot bug, the FM bodyguards would be chariots (right?) already kinda implies that there should be no need for a reform for the chariots.

Balance can be done just the same, through custom battles... (and if you go down that argument i guess than Rome should start with marian and imperial units too)

In EB1 IIRC all the casse reforms gave you units you coudnt build at first. AND you indeed could build the chariots without any reform, if im not mistaken...
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

delra's Avatar Praepositus

Blah blah blah.

I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    Well, but it isnt realistic though IMO. If you have a unit available at the start, it means your nation already has all the knowledge and the resources (and the culture to train such a unit) to build at least 1 of that unit. Meaning no reform required, unless that starting unit was a far away mercenary, and your nation would have a reform later on to completely addapt your whole army to the military tactics of that single unit, which isnt the case.. Reforms are supposed to represent a great change of the military culture, be it from outside influence or learning through setbacks and etc...

Just the fact that you already start with a chariot, and that if it wasnt for the chariot bug, the FM bodyguards would be chariots (right?) already kinda implies that there should be no need for a reform for the chariots.

Balance can be done just the same, through custom battles... (and if you go down that argument i guess than Rome should start with marian and imperial units too)

In EB1 IIRC all the casse reforms gave you units you coudnt build at first. AND you indeed could build the chariots without any reform, if im not mistaken...
    You can't recruit them from your cities, but they are available as mercenaries from turn 1 (I mean British companion units, not the chariots).

Blah blah blah.

I disagree.
    Good for you. Now go use your marian units at year 272 b.c

You can't recruit them from your cities, but they are available as mercenaries from turn 1 (I mean British companion units, not the chariots).
    Yeah im talking solely about the chariots here.

Foederatus

Hi.
    Has someone been able to comfirm the reform?
    I have everything but still don't get any indication...
    The problem maybe the ports, which I didn't build myself because were already in 3-4 conquered provinces.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio_Scevola View Post
    Hi.
    Has someone been able to comfirm the reform?
    I have everything but still don't get any indication...
    The problem maybe the ports, which I didn't build myself because were already in 3-4 conquered provinces.
    I evidently made errors in describing the code. Check out this thread.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Ballpoint202 View Post
    I evidently made errors in describing the code. Check out this thread.
    Thank you very much.

I'll post something on this internally for the team to talk about. The starting chariot was there even before the reform was discussed, so it could be a mistake. On the other hand you could rationalize it as a really expensive and unique type of device that the faction is just "playing around with" and hasn't made a commitment to developing further - and won't, until after the reform.
    EBII Council