Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The TWC Emperor Edition Beta Feedback

Default Re: The TWC Emperor Edition Beta Feedback

I've been playing a landcentric campaign. Can anyone who's playing next to the mediterranean tell me if the problem of AI armies abandoning their settlements and jumping into the sea has been fixed? Before patch 15 I rage quit all my Rome campaigns (and the game pretty much) when Carthage suicided itself each time I showed up on its beach with a stack or two.

that has not been a problem i have seen in a LONG time.
    and I play exclusively Mediterranean campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Greasy Dave View Post
    I've been playing a landcentric campaign. Can anyone who's playing next to the mediterranean tell me if the problem of AI armies abandoning their settlements and jumping into the sea has been fixed? Before patch 15 I rage quit all my Rome campaigns (and the game pretty much) when Carthage suicided itself each time I showed up on its beach with a stack or two.
    This has been my problem with the game too. Been dying to start a new campaign as Rome but Carthage's armies going on cruises to nowhere always makes me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryPolack View Post
    This has been my problem with the game too. Been dying to start a new campaign as Rome but Carthage's armies going on cruises to nowhere always makes me quit.
    its not just Carthage, its any faction that has to travel over water to get to you. My last campaign, I had three factions from Spain declare war on me, all three factions parked their armies in the middle of the Med.
    This is my original review for Rome II, posted in October 2013.

Rome II: Totally Casual.

Streamlined features, zero diplomacy, no family tree, lack of character progression, magical transports, complete lack of battle, siege and campaign AI, blob style fighting formations, 3minute battles, magical fire burning torches, zero seasons, 1 turn per year, awful performance on high end systems, monotonous and incredibly tedious campaign,

A year later, sadly, not much has changed.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I have a couple mods which remedy the "EVERY ARMY ON THE OCEAN" problem.

The first is "No More Forced March" (which can be found on the Workshop), and makes it so Armies can not use the Forced March stance, and do not have a reason to sit at the borders. Secondly, I also have this mod that is no longer on the workshop (though I intend to make my own version of it once the Emperor edition is out) called "Port-Only Transports". It makes it so for an army to become a transport fleet, they must go through a port city/town. They can land anywhere, but they can not leave from any beach.

Using those mods, the campaign experience feels MUCH different.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

I've been playing a Rome campaign under vanilla beta 15. This has not been issue so far. I have noticed a reverse issue upon occasion when an AI army does not return home from a province overseas and just attrits away but that has been very rare. The AI so far has been defending its settlements quite tenaciously - it's not been uncommon for me to find at least one full stack garrisoning the capital when its been under threat. The AI is still prone to the odd silly move, but taking advantage does depend more on what you do - sometimes it pushes its main army out of its last settlement, presumably to go on the offensive and regain territory, and so agents can then isolate it and prevent it from being able to support the defence of that last settlement. AI is AI. But the only orphaned units out in the Med in my current test campaign are Syracuse's last fleet (no army units) which has no home and a Celtic confederation fleet (no army units) which no longer has access to a harbour.

There are still issues with the beta, so if you're likely to throw a wobbler upon eg noticing the AI does not create formations for its armies in battles, I'd hold off a bit longer until CA have nailed a few of the more obvious things.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb77 View Post
    Coming across the same issue with units occasionally not responding to orders. Little frustrating to lose a good ship because it's sat dead in the water. But generally would agree that the changes have made naval battles more enjoyable than they were previously, or at least much less frustrating.
    I keep losing my Admirals that way. At least the Navies are getting use, unlike previously
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    Secondly, I also have this mod [...] called "Port-Only Transports". It makes it so for an army to become a transport fleet, they must go through a port city/town. They can land anywhere, but they can not leave from any beach.

its actually way way .. waaaaaay more better idea than the we got now. Kudos to whomever came up with it first.

I keep losing my Admirals that way. At least the Navies are getting use, unlike previously
    Haha, when I was writing that I'd just lost my most experienced admiral to precisely that issue. But I'm fighting naval battles now rather than either avoiding them or autoresolving. I genuinely hated them previously so there's a definite improvement for me there. Can still find things to carp about, but churlish not to acknowledge the improvements made.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doge Almighty View Post
    its actually way way .. waaaaaay more better idea than the we got now. Kudos to whomever came up with it first.
    Definitely, it's a shame the author took it off of the Workshop. I'm not entirely sure why either. Like I said, on the 16th I'll start working on my own version of it, it's a great mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb77 View Post
    Haha, when I was writing that I'd just lost my most experienced admiral to precisely that issue. But I'm fighting naval battles now rather than either avoiding them or autoresolving. I genuinely hated them previously so there's a definite improvement for me there. Can still find things to carp about, but churlish not to acknowledge the improvements made.
    Certainly. If they added backwards rowing, many of the issues would be fixed right there.

Also, I noticed that many of my ships have ammo now, including Assault Hastati ones, I don't remember it being like that previously.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Saw it happen last night. Carthage pulled a full stack out of Lilybaeum to float on the Med allowing Syracuse to take it on the very next turn. This Carthaginian army then idled at sea for a few turns, then amphibiously attacked an unoccupied Syracuse. Which then allowed me (as Rome) to take Syracuse from them on the very next turn. If they'd just stayed put in Lilybaeum they'd have been fine. This sort of nonsense always happens in my TWR2 games, right up through patch 15.

I have not noticed an uptick in the Waterworld AI in the beta from the patch 14 game, but I'm in a Macedon campaign.

Has anyone had an AI army try to break your blockade by boarding its troops on transports? That is a particularly annoying bug when trying to recreate the amphibious assaults of the trailer. The AI doesn't seem to recognize that transports have been nerfed. Was hoping it got fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    I have not noticed an uptick in the Waterworld AI in the beta from the patch 14 game, but I'm in a Macedon campaign.

Has anyone had an AI army try to break your blockade by boarding its troops on transports? That is a particularly annoying bug when trying to recreate the amphibious assaults of the trailer. The AI doesn't seem to recognize that transports have been nerfed. Was hoping it got fixed.
    Not yet. I've seen it happen as support for a fleet action (garrison fleet included), but not solely a transport fleet trying to break through. I've noticed that in a joint land/sea siege that the AI will fight two seperate battles, one with its army and one with its fleet, to try and break the siege.

Not seen the behaviour Huberto describes in 20 hours of gameplay on vanilla beta 15 either, which isn't to say it can't or won't happen obviously - just I have not seen it yet with this patch and would have done already a few months back.

Has anyone else noticed atttition losses when sieging don't always occur? Had a 4 turn land/sea siege and for 2 of them not a single loss for the army was reported whereas the navy did take attitional damage.

Also seems like some of the Roman wives do not have any benefit/malus listed (or indeed have any effect?), just have the flavour text. May be longstanding oversight but only noticed it tonight as I saw a wife type I'd not ever seen before.
    Last edited by Zeb77; September 04, 2014 at 07:37 PM.

The solution to the attackers having all siege equipment destroyed during assault is a simple, realistic, historically correct "Withdraw and Continue Siege" option, and not torches. I dont know why is it so difficult to figure out and implement for people developing Total War for a decade+.

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    this was too funny not to post here.
    Attachment 313314

GRAVITY.
    Remember, this game is based on a time period before Newton invented gravity.

Indefinitely Banned

Nice logic you got there mate, I'm truly really actually amazed ;o

I have a couple mods which remedy the "EVERY ARMY ON THE OCEAN" problem.

The first is "No More Forced March" (which can be found on the Workshop), and makes it so Armies can not use the Forced March stance, and do not have a reason to sit at the borders. Secondly, I also have this mod that is no longer on the workshop (though I intend to make my own version of it once the Emperor edition is out) called "Port-Only Transports". It makes it so for an army to become a transport fleet, they must go through a port city/town. They can land anywhere, but they can not leave from any beach.

That sounds good but how did the AI handle that mod? Worst case scenario being armies standing on beaches but don't know how to swim.

Quote Originally Posted by prithupaul View Post
    The solution to the attackers having all siege equipment destroyed during assault is a simple, realistic, historically correct "Withdraw and Continue Siege" option, and not torches. I dont know why is it so difficult to figure out and implement for people developing Total War for a decade+.
    I think it's reasonable at this point to assume this team can't figure out or implement a lot of things.
    Last edited by stevehoos; September 05, 2014 at 02:05 AM.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Master Necromancer View Post
    That sounds good but how did the AI handle that mod? Worst case scenario being armies standing on beaches but don't know how to swim.
    No. Once the AI goes to sea then it's normal. Many mods incorporated both features already I believe. I know this mod did.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Causeless View Post
    A facelift? Politics overhaul, civil war overhaul, building chains overhaul, combat mechanics overhaul, addition of defensive pila throwing... and "no real improvements".

Some people are never happy.
    I've yet to see these overhauls occur, if they can be called overhauls to all. In fact I doubt many people have seen these overhauls and probably having a placebo effect: CA says they are, some people are screaming thanks CA has restored my trust, so it must be true.
    In any case I stated "first impression" for a reason.

Some people never read.