Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [Submods Compilation] Europa Barbarorum Release v7.0 Released

Default Re: [Submods Compilation] Europa Barbarorum Mod Pack for EB 2.01 by b0Gia

Quote Originally Posted by b0Gia View Post
    About Capua :
    The name of Capua comes from the Etruscan Capeva. The meaning is 'City of Marshes'. Its foundation is attributed by Cato the Elder to the Etruscans, and the date given as about 260 years before it was "taken" by Rome. If this is true it refers not to its capture in the Second Punic War (211 BC) but to its submission to Rome in 338 BC, placing the date of foundation at about 600 BC, while Etruscan power was at its highest.
    So Capua in not a Hellenic city, colony but an Etruscan one.
    Capua is in Campania. Campania features two of the greatest Hellenic polis' in the west: Neapolis and Cumae. It was to represent those two pretty significant settlements that I added a Hellenistic Polis to Capua, not because the city itself was Greek-founded.

Now about Taras:
    Under the rule of its greatest statesman, strategist and army commander-in-chief, the philosopher and mathematician Archytas, Taranto reached its peak power and wealth; it was the most important city of the Magna Graecia, the main commercial port of southern Italy, it produced and exported goods to and from motherland Greece and it had the biggest army and the largest fleet in southern Italy. However, with the death of Archytas in 347 BC, the city started a slow, but ineluctable decline; the first sign of the city's decreased power was its inability to field an army, since the Tarentines preferred to use their large wealth to hire mercenaries, rather than leave their lucrative trades.
    Now about 280-272 b.c.:
    At that time, Taranto had the most powerful naval forces in Italy, and hastened to come to an agreement with Rome that stated that Roman ships could not enter into the Gulf of Taranto.
    So i think Taras worth to have a Metropolis.
    That decline is why by 272BC it only merits a Polis, rather than Metropolis. The only reason they had the most powerful naval forces in Italy was because the Romani had a pitiful navy prior to the First Punic War, and thus they had essentially no competition for the title.

About Emporion and Massalia didn't had polis_one that's why i added to them. Check someone that have a backup file of them and tell me.
    They most definitely do have them in the unaugmented descr_strat.txt - I'm looking at it right now. They also both have them in-game, which was why I never added one to either.

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

Default Re: [Submods Compilation] Europa Barbarorum Mod Pack for EB 2.01 by b0Gia

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Capua is in Campania. Campania features two of the greatest Hellenic polis' in the west: Neapolis and Cumae. It was to represent those two pretty significant settlements that I added a Hellenistic Polis to Capua, not because the city itself was Greek-founded.

Well, first thanks for the info. I think i will add a minor polis to Capua to them.

That decline is why by 272BC it only merits a Polis, rather than Metropolis. The only reason they had the most powerful naval forces in Italy was because the Romani had a pitiful navy prior to the First Punic War, and thus they had essentially no competition for the title.

Well but some of the city-states in Magna Graecia, such as Rhegion, Croton and Locri, asked Rome for military help because of the wars that they were having with their neighbours. Also, Thurii, which was located on the Gulf of Taranto and under Tarentine rule, asked Rome for help in 282 BC, after being attacked by Lucanians. This situation inevitably led to a conflict between Taranto and Rome, since Taranto felt Rome was interfering in the affairs of the Greek colonies in southern Italy, which the Tarentines considered under their dominion.
    Taras act like "protector" of the other hellenic colonies in south Italy. And i think it was the last great Hellenic city from south Italy that fell to Romans. I think it deserves to be a Metropolis.

They most definitely do have them in the unaugmented descr_strat.txt - I'm looking at it right now. They also both have them in-game, which was why I never added one to either.
    Well then i will remove the Emporion and Massalia from details when i make the next update of the submod compilation.

Well, first thanks for the info. I think i will add a minor polis to Capua to them.
    As an aside, Neapolis (Naples) is the minor settlement south of Capua.

Well but some of the city-states in Magna Graecia, such as Rhegion, Croton and Locri, asked Rome for military help because of the wars that they were having with their neighbours. Also, Thurii, which was located on the Gulf of Taranto and under Tarentine rule, asked Rome for help in 282 BC, after being attacked by Lucanians. This situation inevitably led to a conflict between Taranto and Rome, since Taranto felt Rome was interfering in the affairs of the Greek colonies in southern Italy, which the Tarentines considered under their dominion.
    Taras act like "protector" of the other hellenic colonies in south Italy. And i think it was the last great Hellenic city from south Italy that fell to Romans. I think it deserves to be a Metropolis.
    The level of polis is about the cultural significance and dominant style of government. Having a polis_two is not a trivial thing, and if you take Syrakousai (or already have Athenai, Pergamon, or another Metropolis) it doesn't take much effort to turn Taras into a Metropolis. Which would represent the new dominant power in the region turning around the decline.

Well then i will remove the Emporion and Massalia from details when i make the next update of the submod compilation.
    It's only a reference thing, it just jumped out because those two are already there.

Julio85's Avatar Biarchus

I will try

Hello,

I have now installed the mod EB 2.01; [Submod] Extended Offices Expanded for EB 2.01 Beta 3.2 with Epeiros and Makedonia by b0Gia; [Submods Compilation] Europa Barbarorum Mod Pack for EB 2.01 by b0Gia.
    How good is the new artificial intelligence(CAI/PiterAI1.2) ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ernst von Mansfeld View Post
    Hello,

I have now installed the mod EB 2.01; [Submod] Extended Offices Expanded for EB 2.01 Beta 3.2 with Epeiros and Makedonia by b0Gia; [Submods Compilation] Europa Barbarorum Mod Pack for EB 2.01 by b0Gia.
    How good is the new artificial intelligence(CAI/PiterAI1.2) ??
    Certainly better fights. Overall a better alliances system. Also:
    - AI trains the troops of good quality, generally better than in the majority of mods I’ve seen and I think even better than in the original EB2 (no offence to the original EB CAI coder) since the troops quality depends mainly on the tactics settings in file descr_campaign_ai_db – I don’t know whether the twc modders know that.

- The additional advantage of such tactics is the AI ability of starving the besieged settlements – AI will not attack until it is certain that it will win (taking into account the result of the autocalc battle).

- AI is able to hire the mercenaries, which I did not observe frequently using other M2TW CAIs,

- Of course AI can spam agents in some circumstances (especially the pesky merchants but these are no longer in EB2),

- When AI declares a war, it can – especially when the border is long – attack simultaneously with several armies in different places along the border, which can demolish a careless player (I hope you don’t use the unhistorical “reload”).

- AI uses its agents better,

- AI can successfully strike with a really good sea invasion. This part of the code is perhaps not perfect but in my view it is quite good in comparison to other M2TW CAIs - I would like to see a CAI code which does it better.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

A question if I may, what other units are there (thinking mostly for Hellenistic factions) can be made recruitable? I notice a few in the units folder (name escapes me) but do not seem able to recruit them, like the elephants

well there are some units available i think we can't recruit them. well if i don't make any mistakes there are units like:

Krete
    1) cretan archers
    2) cretan infantry

Illyria Hellenike
    1) illyrian infantry peltastai
    2) illyrian infantry peltophoroi
    3) illyrian infantry hoplitai

Greater Hellas
    1) italic infantry samnites spearmen
    2) italic cavalry sabellian

I think I spotted a Jewish infantry unit of some kind and a Thrakian one also

Well i don't see any thracians units only getics. Same for jewishs.

I will check the proper entry when I am at my computer and post

Jewish spearmena are recruitable only by Ptolemaioi and Seleukids, only from their top level of "garrisons" buildings and these are only buildable as lng as the faction does actually control Palestine at that moment.

Thank you, that would explain it, I thought might recruited across the Levant region.
    Still not got over missing Hierosolyma
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; November 11, 2014 at 07:21 AM.

ROFL Copter's Avatar Vicarius

Could you include the force diplomacy submod? I find it very useful sometimes, and of course because this little addon can be ignored people who consider it cheating can just ignore it.

Thought I would make a start on Seleukid titles and ancillaries [WIP] though having having briefly helped out in EB research I do know they have a very fine Hellenistic scholar, so perhaps these are already in, I just have not had enough time recently to dedicate to a proper campaign... Sadly!

Philip tou basileos friends of the king, courtiers served as various official roles, military, ambassadors, administrative.
    basilikoi paides royal pages the sons of prominent 'Makedonian' and non Greek aristoi, guarded and attended the king, brought up at court under guidance of
    Tropheus master of royal pages
    The Basilikoi paides could often receive promotion later in life to
    Sutrophos foster brother an honour that would gain the privilege of being addressed brother by the king. And as with all such Philoi could gain rapid promotion.
    One such Sutrophos under Antiokhos III was given the prestigious role of
    elephantarchos commander of the war elephants. Philos could also gain the distinction of commanding on the right flank in the presence of the king, or less prestigious but highly distinguished commanding the left flank.

Strategos governor/military commander of a Satrap. The use of Satrap appears to of faded out
    archistrategos commander in chief
    Hyparchgoverned smaller sub region Hyparchia
    archiatroschief physician.

More to follow.add if you want, I might be a while getting back, got a lot of work/research ongoing

EDIT: Sorry wrong thread delete, as I have moved it
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; November 15, 2014 at 04:35 AM.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Looking for clarification on this aspect of the mod: "Changes the watchtowers for villages for all factions."

Sounds like all watchtowers are removed, and replaced by village models -- or are the actual watchtowers the only model used by the submod?

I'm actually looking to replace the villages and have only the small walled outposts with clear towers. The villages are so tiny on a high def monitor that I cannot see them and its not clear that they're a "watchtower."

If the submod uses only the village models, which of the files would I exempt in this pack (in order to keep watchtowers)?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    Looking for clarification on this aspect of the mod: "Changes the watchtowers for villages for all factions."

Sounds like all watchtowers are removed, and replaced by village models -- or are the actual watchtowers the only model used by the submod?

I'm actually looking to replace the villages and have only the small walled outposts with clear towers. The villages are so tiny on a high def monitor that I cannot see them and its not clear that they're a "watchtower."

If the submod uses only the village models, which of the files would I exempt in this pack (in order to keep watchtowers)?

Thanks!
    If you don't want the village models you shouldn't paste from folder UI , the seven cul_1 to cul_7 folders the #WATCHTOWER files. So you will have the original watchtowers models but with village names.

Default Re: [Submods Compilation] Europa Barbarorum Mod Pack for EB 2.01 by b0Gia. Recruitable Generals finally coming to EB 2.01.

Brilliant thanks, I'll try it that way first!

Default Re: [Submods Compilation] Europa Barbarorum Mod Pack for EB 2.01 by b0Gia. Recruitable Generals finally coming to EB 2.01.

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    Brilliant thanks, I'll try it that way first!
    Sorry i made a mistake. If you don't want the village models in the map is a bit more complicated. With that way i told you you will see the watchtowers only in the build menu.

Sorry i made a mistake. If you don't want the village models in the map is a bit more complicated. With that way i told you you will see the watchtowers only in the build menu.
    Yes I discovered this, still building the village model in the campaign I started. If you have time to note how to keep the little walled outposts for watchtowers instead, I bet some others may also want to know. No rush though, especially if it's going to take you a lot of time to explain it.

PS.
    The villages are eye-opening and make me want to have a second feature, where certain general characters can establish small villages or garrisons that serve some function (for high cost), it could be a great new feature. But for the purpose of a watchtower that exposes the map, I much prefer the actual tower. It's easier to see, especially in high def, and the model communicates its purpose effectively.