Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *SUBMOD RELEASED* Spartiatai Hoplitai ( Spartan Hoplites ) for the Hellenic Alliance. ( Campaign and Battles ) Updated V1.0

Default *SUBMOD RELEASED* Spartiatai Hoplitai ( Spartan Hoplites ) for the Hellenic Alliance. ( Campaign and Battles ) Updated V1.0

Spartiatai Hoplitai

This Submod adds Spartan hoplites completely into the game, that meaning both in Custom Battles and Campaign, also with new models, textures, unit cards and detailed descriptions.

Features:

- Addition of Spartan Hoplites to the Campaign and Custom Battles
    - Spartan Lochagos added ( Officers )
    - Recruitment restricted to Sparte
    - Long and detailed unit descriptions
    - New icons
    - Limited recruitment system and strategic stats

Here are some previews:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Q&A:

How many Spartans can I recruit?

- Only 3 units, use them wisely

Can I play with them in the Campaign?

- Yes

Will you add unit X or Y later?

- Hardly I will add any more units because: 1º it takes a lot of time and 2º I dont create the models for the units I edit, I only edit the textures. In this case the Spartan Hoplites are using RSII unit models and some textures that I edited along with gloss maps.

This unit has a unrealistinc, unhistorical and totally fantasious characteristic X and Y accoring to my personal dogmatic view of history!

- Deal with it.

I dont like the piece of equipment X or Y!

- I'm not gonna change anything in the unit for the sake of other peoples's tastes. Altough I know the helmet is a big deal for some, so I'm incluiding two versions: Pylos and Corinthian​, for both soldiers and officers.

Why are the soldiers wielding spears underhanded?

- This was not my choice since the model only supports underhand animations, when the overhand hoplite animation is applyed the hoplites wield their spears pointing backwards.

EB team will add this unit in the future, so chill!

- The meaning of this mod is basically for people who want Spartan Hoplites in EBII, since right now there are no Spartan Hoplites in EBII, I decided to add them until the mod team updates or patches, adding more units. If by any case EB team add Spartiatai Hoplitai, this mod will be converted into a alternative look for the unit. So you can chill as much as you like.

I dont like the unit stats, can I change them?

- Yes, its pretty easy to edit stats, there are plenty of tutorials out there, but the only thing you will need to do is to edit the file Export_Descr_Unit.txt with notepad, right in the '' Hoplitai_Spartiates '' entry, there you can edit the attack values (stat_pri) and defence values. I based the unit stats in the Macedonian hypaspist and Epilektoi hoplitai. Note that I wouldnt recommend changing the unit stats, since I made them to fit the Campaign and made various tests against other units, these stats are currently balanced and perfect when you add the recruitment perspective.

Whats with the Nemean Games?

- Yes, Im sorry about the Nemean Games, but they were the only unique building to Sparta, and the only way that I could find to add the unit recruitable only in Sparta, since I couldnt add hidden_resources to the region. But dont worry, the Nemean Games still add their bonuses to the region.

Is it compatible with submod/something X or Y?

- Most likely not. Submods that edit the same files as my mod will mostly replace each other, but if you want me to make a version that is compatible with an submod X or Y, ask it and I'll do it.

Can I use your mod/unit/textures/description in my own submod ?

- Yes.

I have a different question than any of these!

Ask it.

Tactical Information:

Spartan Hoplites are a powerful unit, but you will be able to only held 2 of them in your entire playthrought, so use them with wisdom. You should also know that Spartans are best used as a "tank support" unit, they arent meant to be ordered to charge on an enemy or fight alone, they are best suited defending a position while other fighting force do the flanking manouver, or supports them. They are not that good when you use them in an offensive/agressive role, but are the best wall of defence in the ancient world.

Permission and Credits:

I would like to thank the Roma Surrectum II Team for providing me and giving me permission to edit their unit ( Spartan Hoplites ) into Medieval II Total War : Europa Barbarorum II Mod. RSII is an amazing mod and the time and detail that was put into it is astonishing.

Versions:

I made some different versions of the Hoplites, they are all included in the download, choose the one you like.

Screenshots and previews follow:

V1
    Spartan Hoplites in their former glory, all uniformed and armoured like an elite regiment. Its a really cool and proffesional look, portraying the Spartans very well.

V2
    Same as V1, but with some little different variations in clothing and mostly the 100% use of Pylos type of helmet ( Officers use a mix of Pylos and Corinthian ).

V3
    I'm not sure, but I think this is the most beautiful and my favorite version of the 3 hoplites. It is for those who are fans of more variation, the unit mixes the 2 types of helmets ( Pylos and Corinthian with different plumes, but mostly Corinthian ), aswell as mixes of armor ( bronze and linothorax ), and more variation in clothing, capes, plumes and shields.

Download Links:

4shared
    http://www.4shared.com/rar/ZALxOeI9b...litai_10.html?

mediafire
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/da...oplitai+10.rar

- Let me know if you cant download.

Feedback/Suggestions are welcome;
    Last edited by Achilles Lacedaemon; October 29, 2014 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Updating

Default Re: *SUBMOD* Spartiatai Hoplitai ( Spartan Hoplites ) for the Hellenic Alliance.

They look great, but I feel like they'd be more fitting with modern helmets for the time period.

Default Re: *SUBMOD* Spartiatai Hoplitai ( Spartan Hoplites ) for the Hellenic Alliance.

well they look like landing from a total different mod and not saying this only due to their acronism.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

They dont seem to be very historical, but the textures are really not bad. Why dont you join the team as there are still skinners needed?

This unit has a unrealistinc, unhistorical and totally fantasious characteristic X and Y accoring to my personal dogmatic view of history!

- Deal with it.
    uh?... better dealing with not having this fantasy unit at all ?
    Last edited by Kranos; September 01, 2014 at 10:12 AM.

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

Corinthian helmet is silly, if we can add this we can also add Lorica Segmentata
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

Quote Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
    Corinthian helmet is silly, if we can add this we can also add Lorica Segmentata
    Why stop there? They could use some grenades and light sabers.

Quote Originally Posted by clench View Post
    They look great, but I feel like they'd be more fitting with modern helmets for the time period.
    Read the Q&A.. besides Corinthian helmets weren't that fantasious for the time-frame as some people like to affirm.
    Here is the preview of the alternative version ( also included ) in case you were not encouraged to try it out basing on the above screens;

Quote Originally Posted by Orphydian View Post
    well they look like landing from a total different mod.

uh?... better dealing with not having this fantasy unit at all ?
    I dont need to be a mind reader to see that you did not tested the unit in game, so dont annoy me with your mumbling and incoherent conclusions since they are not backed by anything, if you did tested it you would know that they are not expressively visually/aesthetically out of place compared to other EB II units, I made them carefully comparing it always to the Epilektoi Hoplites, so that they would not look that much '' Alien ''. Besides if you really knew what textures did I applyed there and what pieces of equipment are attached to the unit, you would be surprised to the ignorance in your statement. Calling it fantasy and not desenvolving it neither explaining why makes me only to realize that it is your personal knowlege of anything involving this unit that is fantasious.

Also perhaps I didnt mentioned that this is my first experience modding M2TW, I know its not that good, and in all my education and human excellence I would never just stone someone's amateur work because its not good enough for me, in wich they put time into, and also are disponibilize to the community and are not asking for anything in return, specially because its OPTIONAL and no one is oblying you to like it, so indeed I must say.. D.E.A.L.W.I.T.H.I.T.

Your destructive criticism is not welcome nor significant to anything whatsoever here, so move away.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    They dont seem to be very historical, but the textures are really not bad.

An explanation or an in-depth approach on this would be more appreciated. If it is again only because of the helmet :

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Why stop there? They could use some grenades and light sabers.
    An hyperbole that is not funny and uncalled for.

@Mayer

Just open the spoilers.
    Last edited by Achilles Lacedaemon; September 01, 2014 at 12:33 PM.

For the overhand grip you could try to do the same that was done for most hoplites in-game, that is to have them march with the spear pointing to the ground. It may look weird but it does the job.

Still a good submod. A Koinon Hellenon without the Spartan doesn't feel right.

Im glad you finally dealt with it lol
    Last edited by Kranos; September 06, 2014 at 12:27 PM.

SenseiJT92's Avatar Decanus

Brilliant work! I wondered why the Greek faction did not already have this unit in the game? Is it historical for them not too? Regardless, I feel that they are bland without the Spartan Hoplites being represented. Kudos to you Sir! +rep

Do you think that you'll add any Athenian-type unit in future, perhaps Marines? I feel this will really add to the flavour of the Greek faction and show that they were seperate cities united. After all if Sparta is represented, so should Athens.

Also, what is wrong with people in this thread? He clearly stated it was an optional sub-mod, so why do you all have to diss his work? Get with it. Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
    Again, I don't understand why there is no LS in this game. But I'll be hoping that someone also makes it available to Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by Death from Anon View Post
    Brilliant work! I wondered why the Greek faction did not already have this unit in the game? Is it historical for them not too? Regardless, I feel that they are bland without the Spartan Hoplites being represented.
    Again, I don't understand why there is no LS in this game. But I'll be hoping that someone also makes it available to Rome.
    This is BETA version which is mentioned countless times in this forums, and not all units are added... There are many more units which will be added during next patches/updates/releases.

LS is not in this game because romans didnt have in the time frame of the campaign, which is again mentioned thousand times...
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

Thank you, downloading now!

Default Re: *SUBMOD RELEASED* Spartiatai Hoplitai ( Spartan Hoplites ) for the Hellenic Alliance. ( Campaign and Battles )

--> Mod Updated to its final version.

Some new previews:

With new and gigantic unit description, full of details and happiness, almost took the same time as the textures:

If someone who download it could confirm that it is working fine, that would be nice.

Thanks.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: *SUBMOD RELEASED* Spartiatai Hoplitai ( Spartan Hoplites ) for the Hellenic Alliance. ( Campaign and Battles )

Could you by any chance upload it to another mirror? I can't download anything from 4shared.

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

I would suggest to add some diversity to the unit(a couple of new helmets, cuirasses, clothing, spears).
    Apart from that nice work!

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

From the sounds of it, they ported an extremely well done unit from RTW into M2TW. That would explain the lack of diversity. However, I hope the team does add diversity as well.

I think the export_units.txt file is corrupted, maybe from a translator.
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

This is really sweet, and I hope the EB2 team can make use of this and update it to incorporate in future iterations of their mod.

ipwnu678's Avatar Semisalis

quick question, did you make the unit card with an in game screenshot? I'm just really interested in how other modders make their unit cards - mine all look terrible haha
    secondly is it okay if i use the unit information, unit name and the units stats for a spartan unit (different models) i plan to release in the future?

finally, what exactly is it that you edited into the EDB?

also i love the feature where new campaigns no longer starts
    Last edited by ipwnu678; September 22, 2014 at 08:55 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast