Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WARHAMMER FANTASY RC

Vette's Avatar Civis

Default WARHAMMER FANTASY RC

Warhammer Fantasy RC

• EDU balanced by sytem based on Point Blanks RC 2.0
    • Units separated by four tiers of quality and 3 tiers of sub quality to create a distinction in power
    • Difrent unit sizes depending on tier and quality
    • General units strenghten enough so they can fight on the front lines insted of standing bahind the army
    • Faction/Race bonuses and penalties
    • Warhammer Army Book rules and special abilitys translated to bonuses/penalties
    • Weapon and off hand power for systematic power balance

Warhammer Fantasy RC is a mod for Rage of Dark Gods/Call of Warhammer 1.5.1.
    Goal of this mod is to create a fantasy Warhammer fealing.There is no rules like helberds beat cavalry,cavalry beats archers,archers beat light infantry...
    Units are separated into tiers of quality based on Warhammer army books.To brake the conventional battle fealing and allow fantsy to happen.
    Chaos Knights will not be destroyed by pikemen,Chaos Warriors will kill 2-3 empire core regiments.So does this mean Chaos will be OP?No,there will be NO OP units only bad matchups.Each human played faction will have enough strength in its roster to prevail strategicly.Battles will revolve around unit tiers more then on their type.So to exel in battle you will need to figure how to best use unit tiers to your advantage.You can send your Warrpriests to fight tier four skeletons while your tier four unit breafly blocks Blood Dragons allowing your tier one Knights to kill them,if role of Warrpriests and tier four empire core was changed.Warrpriests would take dmg from Blood Dragons and tier four core would take dmg from tier four skeletons,thus resulting in more casulties.So basicly the goal of this mod is not what most people call balance its fantasy...

You can find all information and tables for this mod in notepad version here:
    Warhammer Fantasy RC.txt

In this mod I use new method for weapon dmg/defense and shield/defense called weapon power.Its a fixed number for both one hand and two hand weapons as is for shields.The goeal is to create balanced power distribution.One hand weapon power is 8,off hand/shield is 7 and 15 for two handed weapons.I am using RC 2.0 unit quality combat bonuses/penalties, but in future I plan to acomplish this by not penalties only lower weaon power.Also I plan to conect defense potential to skill of a unit.

Range units are separated in 2 categories:skirmishers and missile just as is in RC 2.0.Skirmishers have bonus range dmg per tier of quality and melee at same quality as they range on.Missile units recive bonus 50 to their range,5 more ammunition and they melee at one quality less then they range on.This is done to represent the difrent fighting styles.I wanted to bring more focus to gun units increasing their potency,becouse even in Warhammer buletts kill everything.I might have made them to potent but so far I like how strong they are.

I have removed AP,again to get more balanced power distribution and avoid wierd cases.I added area ability to bows,axes and jevelin.Bp ability to guns,pistols,crossbow and jevelin making them more deadly but also kinda realistic.Mount speed and mass was calculated using values from army books.

I havent figured yet how would be best to handle armor and difrent lvls of protection based on Warhammer armor craft so far.So I made a scaling bonus to armor depending on tier and quality until I figure the best way to handle armor.I also havent been adding armor bonus for barding exept a bonus of 2 armor for certain mounts that provide aditional bonus to rider acording to army books.Also I added special "armors" for no armor wearing units that in Warhammer universe need to be very strong.I have so many plans on how to handle armor atm that I have no idea what would be best.Tought that I might conect it somehow to weapon power and create armor power that will scale perfectly and achive that balanced power distribution.Also was thinking of just calculating mathematicly armor values depending on tier and lately I just tought of making things up lol.Conecting metalurgy technics we know of with made up technics that "ARE USED" in Warhammer universe hehe.

This is still work in progress with alot of things yet to do,but at least its playable now so I decided to share.I will be updateing this mod as my work on it progresses.All sugestions are apreciated.Recruitament and training will come soon,culture requirement for unit producing not so soon same as animations and new leaders/heroes I want to intradoce insted of generals.New replanisment times,all units recruitable exept mages,stronger walls and new missile values will come soonish to.Also I have been changing so much since I started this mod,that I might change alot of things and I will be updating these to.

Installation is quite simple:Copy the files in your data folder and click replace.
    If you are using Kahvis Mercs download:Kahvis Mercs WF RC insted
    Something like this:
    Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Rage_of_dark_Gods\data
    Enjoy!

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Vette; June 23, 2015 at 02:38 PM.

Default Re: WARHAMMER FANTASY RC

Will definitely download and check this out. Nice

I myself just edited the files and made it so a group of 100 Chaos Warriors can beat 500 Empire Swordsman (1vs2). It feels way better, since they are huge juggernauts in thick armor with enormous strength against normal humans with tiny shields and swords.

Will tell you what I think

Vette's Avatar Civis

I tryed to make Chaos factions distinctive.Khorne is all about dmg,Slanesh is very mobile,Nurgle is all about defense and very slow and Tzeentch is about range.When you manage to unite Chaos its like candy shop!

Yuko's Avatar Campidoctor

will this be compatible with Khavi's mercenaries?

Vette's Avatar Civis

That is what I am doing now,I loaded my Kislev campaign and poof no rangers .Will come soon

Libertus

I cant start the game when i copy-paste your mod. All i have installed is Khavi's mercenaries and Khavi's generals/leader icons (i believe this is his, instaled it ages ago). I get a CTD when the game is loading up, cant even get to the game menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Vette View Post
    That is what I am doing now,I loaded my Kislev campaign and poof no rangers .Will come soon
    Great! can't wait for a khavi's compatible version!

Vette's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Yogimanz View Post
    I cant start the game when i copy-paste your mod. All i have installed is Khavi's mercenaries and Khavi's generals/leader icons (i believe this is his, instaled it ages ago). I get a CTD when the game is loading up, cant even get to the game menu.
    Pozdrav!
    This mod is not compatible with Kahvis mercs atm,it will be soon.

Vette's Avatar Civis

Mod is now compatible with Kahvis Mercs

I was high elves and attacked a small darkelf army of 2 generals, one with vet coldones and the other with black guard. Both were showered with arrows for a solid 20-30 seconds and didn't take a single casualty, and were in battle against my shield wall, AND flanked by my sword masters, and all my men died with the dark elves suffering almost not a single loss. I didn't notice that I got a few kills until near the end of the battle when all my men were dead and I was shooting the dark elves in the back with archers while they were occupied in the front.

I can understand the difference in skill and experience between the various units in the game, like white lions and greatswords, but this is just ridiculous.

Mod is now compatible with Kahvis Mercs
    nice! thanks!

Vette's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jester View Post
    I was high elves and attacked a small darkelf army of 2 generals, one with vet coldones and the other with black guard. Both were showered with arrows for a solid 20-30 seconds and didn't take a single casualty, and were in battle against my shield wall, AND flanked by my sword masters, and all my men died with the dark elves suffering almost not a single loss. I didn't notice that I got a few kills until near the end of the battle when all my men were dead and I was shooting the dark elves in the back with archers while they were occupied in the front.

I can understand the difference in skill and experience between the various units in the game, like white lions and greatswords, but this is just ridiculous.
    Combat in this mod is tier based.Both of these units are tier 1 and they are general units which means they have 1 extra HP.Both of these units have more then 20 armor which combined with 2 HP makes them both extremly resistant to arrows.Arrows are good only against light armor,the higher the armor value(shield if shoot at frontaly) the lower the effectivness.To effectively battle against enemy tier 1 units you need to have tier 1 units of your own.Dragon Princes and Phoenix Guard are your tier 1 equivalents to Cold Ones and Black Guard.
    Swordmaster are tier 2 unit and they are very strong but becouse of mistake I made they were unable to do much against Black Guard.When I was adding aditional HP to general units I came across units that had 2 HP as a base,so without much thinking I added 1 more HP ...Thing is that this made them very very hard to kill even using same tier units.There are not many of such general units in game but they are very anoying.Black Guard bodyguard is 1 of these units,others are Phoenix Guard,Blood Dragon Knights and Bloodletters.I already removed that aditional HP for my self,played as Kislev and had to fight Bloodletter bodyguard...
    In original RC all units have 1 HP only elephants can have more.While that is better for overall balnce it was imo Warhammer unfreandly.All generals and some non general units have 2HP and yes it unbalances a game a bit,but at a same time it gives better Warhammer fealing imo.I wanted generals that can fight on front lines not a unit player keaps bahind the army.I did made a mistake of these few 3 HP generals and this will be changed.

I now know, and will deal with every unit accordingly. Perhaps the empire would be a easier choice, guns and cannons normally get the job done no matter how thick your armor is. Unless your a steam tank of course.

Thanks for responding! I meant no disrespect.

Artifex

I'm throwing in my approach to unit balancing if anyone is interested. It's for version 1.4 though so not all new units are there. Best of luck to all EDU-modders!

Attached is my approach to a unit system. Neither fully RC nor fully tabletop but rather based on what I Believe myself seeing and Reading about the units in info cards and general warhammer lore. It works very well for me at least and is reasonably evenly balanced between factions - each have some sort of strength and weakness and they work quite differently.

Bestigors are overpowered though. 125 in each unit is far too much considering their strength. Half of it would be better if you want an even game.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Everyone is using complex mathematical systems to balance the units. I just put them both on grassy plain to test them and go on what feels right mah feels feel good. In my balancing so far the Beastmen are now a good fun challenge, Chaos destroy in melee but are usually outnumbered and outgunned, Empire have squishy plentiful melee with strong ranged units (ranged units are a trade off between medium sized support units with good firepower and weak af melee, vs having a large melee unit with decent damage) and the Orcs aren't pushovers anymore (and the ****ing Black Orcs don't route anymore cuz dats for runty gobbos)

Does anyone know how to edit the buildings? I want to make Empire Mounted Swordsman recruitable at the stables and make all the Free Companies require a Dogs of War camp building.

Vette's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by vef215 View Post
    Everyone is using complex mathematical systems to balance the units. I just put them both on grassy plain to test them and go on what feels right mah feels feel good. In my balancing so far the Beastmen are now a good fun challenge, Chaos destroy in melee but are usually outnumbered and outgunned, Empire have squishy plentiful melee with strong ranged units (ranged units are a trade off between medium sized support units with good firepower and weak af melee, vs having a large melee unit with decent damage) and the Orcs aren't pushovers anymore (and the ****ing Black Orcs don't route anymore cuz dats for runty gobbos)

Does anyone know how to edit the buildings? I want to make Empire Mounted Swordsman recruitable at the stables and make all the Free Companies require a Dogs of War camp building.
    What will hapen if they fight on snow or in desert hehe?If you are balancing units by grassy plain matchups make sure that you set all terrain bonuses and penalties to 0.Or add terrain factor in your grassy plains matchups as well so you dont have wierd results .

For Mounted Swordsmen:
    1) Add the desired faction to the unit's ownership, in export_descr_unit.txt
    2) Add the desired unit to the unit's recruit pools for each building that can recruit that unit, in export_descr_buildings.txt
    3) G
    ive it appropriate appearance tga files,if not they will look like silver surfer hehe

Have fun!
    Last edited by Vette; September 09, 2014 at 03:39 AM.

What will hapen if they fight on snow or in desert hehe?If you are balancing units by grassy plain matchups make sure that you set all terrain bonuses and penalties to 0.Or add terrain factor in your grassy plains matchups as well so you dont have wierd results .

For Mounted Swordsmen:
    1) Add the desired faction to the unit's ownership, in export_descr_unit.txt
    2) Add the desired unit to the unit's recruit pools for each building that can recruit that unit, in export_descr_buildings.txt
    3) G
    ive it appropriate appearance tga files,if not they will look like silver surfer hehe

Have fun!
    Oh yea that's true. I've been playing around in the campaign and the terrain hasn't thrown any wrenches into the balance yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks I'll try that

martyran's Avatar Civis

Thanks for the mod
    changing all those stats must of been a nightmare
    You have certainly made it very tough game now
    The empire really need the technology units now
    You might have to revisit the amount of hit points some units have as this seems to have a greater effect than armour and defence
    But really good man keep refining you methods I like how gunners now seem to have a effect I used to pick archers over gunners now the other way arround

Vette's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by martyran View Post
    Thanks for the mod
    changing all those stats must of been a nightmare
    You have certainly made it very tough game now
    The empire really need the technology units now
    You might have to revisit the amount of hit points some units have as this seems to have a greater effect than armour and defence
    But really good man keep refining you methods I like how gunners now seem to have a effect I used to pick archers over gunners now the other way arround
    Glad you like it!
    Calculating and ideas for the changes were fun,realy fun.Actual stat changing was a nightmare ...
    I wouldent say its tougher game now rather difrent.Once you get used to tiers and their relations in battle,you can pull some realy heroic battles.
    At first I was trying to make all units with 1 HP,but it just felt kinda odd.Thinking of Black Orcs,Bloodletters having same HP as humans was just not right.I decided to risc it with small matchup disbalance,becouse the system with which they were implemented makes sure faction rosters always remain competetive.
    Glad you like the change to guns.Tho I feal like difrence between difrent tier and skirmish,missile gun units is to small to make for noticable difrence.I will change this soon when update with RR and buildings is done.Basicly I plan to lower the base dmg and increase bonus dmg by tier.Not sure about numbers atm but I will make sure that difrence in style of fighting and tier is noticable.

martyran's Avatar Civis

I read the Warhammer Fantasy RC.txt I now understand what you did and how you applied warhammer stats well thought out. look forward to further developments of the mod

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast