Thread: EBII or DBM?

Default EBII or DBM?

Hello fellow TW fans!

Which mod do you prefer and for what reasons?
    These are the only two mods I could find for Medieval TW II that focused on this time frame, but if there are others please feel free to mention them.

Default Re: EBII or DBM?

I'm not sure these popularity contests are particularly useful or healthy. DBM was created for one purpose, to bring rtw to the m2tw engine. It has updated settlements and units, and was created by 1 person. EB2 is probably the most ambitious m2tw mod to date, and focuses not only on bringing EB to the m2tw engine, but adding a huge amount of new content on top of that (new factions, cultures, units, battle mechanics, etc).

Two completely different things. No need to say one is "worse".

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    I'm not sure these popularity contests are particularly useful or healthy. DBM was created for one purpose, to bring rtw to the m2tw engine. It has updated settlements and units, and was created by 1 person. EB2 is probably the most ambitious m2tw mod to date, and focuses not only on bringing EB to the m2tw engine, but adding a huge amount of new content on top of that (new factions, cultures, units, battle mechanics, etc).

Two completely different things. No need to say one is "worse".
    I agree that there is no need to say one is worse. I was just wondering what people preferred and for what reasons.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

You are asking this in the EB II forum....

Well in that case I would have to say EB2 . The unit models are amazing, diplomacy is so much better than the rtw engine is capable of. The battles are very different from other m2tw mods, (hell, most other tw games). Much more immersive imo. And ofc EB2 really gives you the feeling that you are directing the development of a civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    You are asking this in the EB II forum....
    Yeah, I know... this forum had more activity though. I'll probably ask the same question in that forum as well.

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

Quote Originally Posted by loga_turtle View Post
    These are the only two mods I could find for Medieval TW II that focused on this time frame, but if there are others please feel free to mention them.
    Paeninsula Italica II with morfaesnikos patch
    also in beta status, but playable with alot of unique content (more to come)

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    Well in that case I would have to say EB2 . The unit models are amazing, diplomacy is so much better than the rtw engine is capable of. The battles are very different from other m2tw mods, (hell, most other tw games). Much more immersive imo. And ofc EB2 really gives you the feeling that you are directing the development of a civilization.
    Cool. Thanks Theo.

Quote Originally Posted by _Tartaros_ View Post
    Paeninsula Italica II with morfaesnikos patch
    also in beta status, but playable with alot of unique content (more to come)
    Nice! I'll check it out man, thanks.

i perfer EB2, it has more content more history
    the gameplay is also better
    both mods are awesome
    but hey to each is tastes

Seljuq Prince's Avatar Civis

DBM is harder to play esprecially the late game, there is a script to force you lose money that forces you to blitz( that I like and dont like)..EBII dont gave me the challange at all right now( I know its beta ) Building for factions and goverment system is much better in EB, I dont remember if there is in DBM.. Units I think is much more beautiful in EB.. Both mod have Ctds, I think less in eb though.. I would say donwload both and play both.. But go for EBII first

Roma Surrectum 2... nothing to say about it and yes I know this is only for M2TW
    JPEmpire is gone!Sauron will conquer all TWC!!!! BUT I can also enjoy the mods (yes I have a computer don't judge Mordor ok?)
    Recommended Mods:
    EUROPA BARBARORUM 2,ROMA SURRECTUM 2,RISE OF THE THREE KINGDOMS,STAINLESS STEEL
    AND
    Dark Lord simulator (Third Age)

Battlefield's Avatar Civis

I love and play both mods. Tremendous amount of efforts have been put into both mods. In terms of historical accuracy and authenticity, EB II is definitely better. However, De Bello Mundi is more complete in terms of content, since the Romans in that mod have the Polybian, Marian, and Imperial units all implemented. DBM also has, I think, 10 historical battles. After a couple of patches though, EBII will probably has the same amount of content. In terms of bugs, EB II is more polished and has less bugs than DBM. In terms of coding and scripting, both mods seemed to be pretty awesome and sophisticated with DBM a bit better in campaign AI after I read both scripts.
    In summary, if you like to play the Romans, try DBM. If you want to play other factions, try EBII. But try both mods and decide for yourself.
    Last edited by Battlefield; August 31, 2014 at 05:04 PM.
    Rome Total War mods
    INVASIO BARBARORVM | Roma Surrectum | Rome Total Realism
    Medieval 2 Total War mods
    Stainless Steel | Europa Barbarorum II | Broken Crescent

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

bobbyr's Avatar Semisalis

Right now I like DBM better, especially with one of the submods 'SCUM' or 'little mod'.

I only play with the Romani and in that aspect DBM has ten times more to offer than EB II right now.

EB II doesn't even have a proper Polybian Roster at this point, let alone Marian or imperial.......

I'm really grateful to the EB II team for all their hard work, but right now version 1.0 is a real downer to me as a Romani only player.

Senator

EB II doesn't even have a proper Polybian Roster at this point, let alone Marian or imperial.......
    Looking at the fact that DBMs turns times are terrible and the reforms don't even work properly and that I got a lot ctd's ...let's say that it not really my favourite
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

I found DBM really boring. Terrible AI. Nothing happened unless I made it happen.

My initial reaction to EBII was similar but the team is quickly improving it.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

DBM's a great mod if you're looking for a complete overhaul of Rome 1 being imported onto MTW2, its got great music, an excellent music submod, but I find there is still an amount of units which need to be added in. DBM is currently in the process of adding new units and getting this patch 1.1 ahead which was scheduled for an August release but didn't make it. I'm waiting until DBM really adds more units but otherwise its a great mod to play minus the fact that loading times take too long for me on that game. It's very much like EB2 but I think both are great mods. Besides, we don't have many ancient Antiquity mods for MTW2 modding and I think we should apperciate that. Its a great mod, and EB2's awesome but for me they will be both complete once both teams of the mods release extra units.

Because Mod comparison threads have a tendency to become conflicts, as the past has shown. As this subforum could never prove a neutral ground a well and is intended to discussions limited to EB2, I will close this thread. Sorry.