Thread: Colonization-How it works?

Default Colonization-How it works?

Anyone mind explain how colonization works?i am getting spammed by the advisor every turn but i dont know how to start it :/

Default Re: Colonization-How it works?

You can build a colony building in one of your settlements, the advisor is telling you that the conditions for having the colony building built are present.

So scroll down through your settlements and see if you can build it - if not, you might have to build road garrisons.

It's a building which you can build in one or more of your provinces. The adviser should say if there some requirements for it. At least with Romans you need to have a road garrison building in the province.

EDIT. Slow as a snail.

Laetus

Only possible in settlements that are no hellenistic polis + you need a metropolis to start the colonists. So for example with Baktria you have to conquer a metropolis first.

interesting,thanks!

Senator

Only possible in settlements that are no hellenistic polis
    Really ?
    As Bosporos I was able to build "settler fronier posts" at my capital eventhough I had a polis there and I had no metropolis in any of my provinces.
    Last edited by Sint; August 30, 2014 at 11:42 AM.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Laetus

mnh don't know about bosporus, only faction I played that has colonist is Baktria and there you are told by description that you need a metropolis to start the colonists and it's true because I don't get the advisor notifications.

Senator

Hmm maybe bosporus is different because it is stil colonized by other greeks and makedons?I don't really know if that was the case...

---
    Hab allerdings wirklich keine Ahnung wie es funktioniert hab auch keine Nachricht vom Berater bekommen.

Well playing as Koinon Ellinon,Athens is my capital and Metropolis,cant find any colonization building to build:S Also Koinon has probly the worst roster of all Hellenic states Common hoplites,no Spartans,no pikes,mediocre cav and ranged.

Senator

Well playing as Koinon Ellinon,Athens is my capital and Metropolis,cant find any colonization building to build:S Also Koinon has probly the worst roster of all Hellenic states Common hoplites,no Spartans,no pikes,mediocre cav and ranged.
    Hah you tried Bospurus they are worse ,they don't even have elite hoplites but they actually get pikes when getting colonies.
    Oh and getting greeks to settle in greece is a bit weird they already live there

By the way, Hellenic Metropolis can be found in only 5 cities: Corinth, Athens, Pergamon, Thermon and Alexandria. Thus, you will have hard time finding colonists when you play eastern greek factions (Baktria and Seleucid)

Senator

By the way, Hellenic Metropolis can be found in only 5 cities: Corinth, Athens, Pergamon, Thermon and Alexandria. Thus, you will have hard time finding colonists when you play eastern greek factions (Baktria and Seleucid)
    Hmm I would still like to know:
    As Bosporos I was able to build "settler fronier posts" at my capital eventhough I had a polis there and I had no metropolis in any of my provinces.
    Why can I build colonists with Bosporos while only having a normal polis in my capital?
    In my last trun I could build a minor hellenistic polis in two of my provinces(both have roughly 50% Hellenistic culture)....but a turn later I couldn't build them anymore and they even vanished from the building roster.
    Last edited by Sint; August 30, 2014 at 03:17 PM.

Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius

Only played as Rome, so far, and I've worked on learning the ins and outs of the colonization subgame. Here's what I've learned so far on that:

1. For the first colonial "building", that province town will need to build the "strategic forts" (looks like blocky red buildings). Once that's built (or, sometimes, just in the front of the queue to be built), you'll get the option to add the first colony building to the queue.
    2. The second colony building is dependent on the "wayside garrisons". Those are the second in line of the forts. That building has to be either built or at the front of the build queue (sometimes, sometimes I has to be all the way built) before the second colony building comes available (looks like a white compound with interior courtyard).

Colony options seem to start out, as Rome, shortly after turn 16, and then get popped again roughly every 16 turns after, as long as there's a town meeting requirements to receive a colony.

I did a test last night and was able to control where the colonies became available.

I did this by not building any strategic forts anywhere until after I had the second colony building started in Capua.
    Then I built the strategic forts and wayside garrisons in the town north west of Rome.
    After the second colony building was started in that town, I built the strategic forts and waysides in the town north east of Rome.
    Then, after the second colony building was started in that town, I did the same for Arpi.

Once Arpi got the second colony building started, I destroyed the allied gov building in Taras and built the Roman civs there. Once Taras got to culture neg 45, colony became available there too.

Senator

As Bosporos I was able to build "settler fronier posts" at my capital eventhough I had a polis there and I had no metropolis in any of my provinces. Why can I build colonists with Bosporos while only having a normal polis in my capital?
    In my last trun I could build a minor hellenistic polis in two of my provinces(both have roughly 50% Hellenistic culture)....but a turn later I couldn't build them anymore and they even vanished from the building roster.
    So does anybody know how it works for Kimerios Bosporos?

Quote Originally Posted by spring3390 View Post
    Can other Hellenic Polis cities not eventually grow to Metropolis size and send out colonies? Shouldn't Syrakousai be on that list in any case?

Senator

Can other Hellenic Polis cities not eventually grow to Metropolis size and send out colonies? Shouldn't Syrakousai be on that list in any case?
    Well I could have build a minor polis(it just poped up and vanished next turn) ,so maybe it's possible to upgrade them.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Ya it's possible.