Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition announced

Default Re: Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition announced

Quote Originally Posted by spiderknight View Post
    How about the game that was advertised before release. With the amazing graphics and features....er lies they promised us.
    The game I play has pretty amazing graphics and features that I and many others have enjoyed. Perhaps you need to upgrade your GPU and CPU?

The only real aspect of the game CA didn't tell the truth about pre-release was the AI, which they have immensely improved via 14 patches in less than a year, including a massive siege AI patch, which was the bulk of the complaints made. They also gave away a good handful of free content, and are about to give everyone a free campaign, the largest yet aside from the GC, a reworked political system, revised building trees, reworked civil wars, and other new content, all at zero cost to you or anyone who owns the game.

What else are you complaining about?
    /* Under the Patronage of the Honorable Garbarsardar */
    Graphic Designer, Husband, & Dad

Thanks, CA! I'm excited for the update and I think it's a really nice move to add the Augustus campaign for free. Rome II was a little rough at launch but it's becoming better and better and I really enjoy it now. Looking forward to the politics revamp!

ohh I just saw on an other site that there will be improved visuals in battles and on the campaign map. What could that be?
    And please repair the reagion bug with Bactria. I dont know why but this is much trouble for me
    The emperor edition looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    2) Yup it's free
    4) There are effects that come form your political influence, and Imperium has effects that affect the politics game.
    5) Applies to the Grand Campaign as well.
    Augustus DLC is free - GREAT .
    REALLY, REALLY GREAT.
    But Unfortunately, the movies are still missing
    Rome 2 with Emperor Edition will be the best TW Game - but only with AGENT Movies !

By the WAY - Rome 2 is a great Game with the Radious Mod !

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    The game I play has pretty amazing graphics and features that I and many others have enjoyed. Perhaps you need to upgrade your GPU and CPU?

The only real aspect of the game CA didn't tell the truth about pre-release was the AI, which they have immensely improved via 14 patches in less than a year, including a massive siege AI patch, which was the bulk of the complaints made. They also gave away a good handful of free content, and are about to give everyone a free campaign, the largest yet aside from the GC, a reworked political system, revised building trees, reworked civil wars, and other new content, all at zero cost to you or anyone who owns the game.

The people that buy the game today pay half price and are not paying to become beta testers.

The moral of the story. Wait one year and pay half the price for a full working game that implements it's advertised features over the year.

By by the way the old "upgrade your CPU GPU" doesn't work because some people come on the forums and slaughter the fanboys by saying their I7 gtx 780 gets lower framerates than an i3. You can hear the fanboys quietly muttering as they return to their beloved, flawless game and continue to splash out the cash to support this popular business practice of releasing early, fixing later.

Like when a girlfriend sticks with her abusive, drug addict boyfriend. She keeps convincing herself "one day he'll love me" and keeps sleeping with him in the hopes that one day he'll love him. Loves blind my friend and I think you're a victim of it.

http://youtu.be/aukvxuZ1VcM?t=2m18s

- Civil wars are no longer unavoidable
    - Multiple civil wars can occur
    - Your own generals and regions will swap side during a civil war

These are wonderful news! CA, I regained my faith on you.

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Leving View Post
    1. A working political system, as advertised.
    Hoping Emperor Edition checks that box. Cautiously optimistic about this one.

2. Working siege battles as advertised (ie which don't commonly require the AI to use a stupid gimmick to stand any chance of being successful).
    Siege AI has been working for me fairly consistently since Patch 12. I've checked this one off my list.

3. Improvements to the Battle AI to bring it in line with what was advertised. Units running back and forth around the map and blobbing up still continues to occur.
    Field battle AI has been working for me since at least Patch 7, if not earlier. I'm not disputing that this doesn't exist, but this is easily one of the first things I've found was satisfactory.

4. Performance enhancements in certain areas (again siege battles - especially on barbarian settlements - spring to mind).
    Found this to be a rare problem, in my experience. Had extreme stuttering in one post Patch 14 Punic siege battle that involved over 10k attackers vs 7.5k defenders. There's room for improvement here, but I've yet to see this defect since.

5. Working battle formations, again as advertised.
    I forget which patch mitigated blobbing the most, but I've also checked this box off. The blobbing isn't any worse than what I've come to expect from previous TW games.

Just to finalize, I believe that CA "owe" the consumers what they promised us: 'The biggest and best Total War to date'. I won't go as far as to say that their pre-release marketing campaign was based on lies, but there was certainly an element of a scam about it. The product that they delivered to us in September of last year was nothing like the product that they had advertised over the 3-6 months prior to its release. Of course, most people accept that ad campaigns tend to embellish on the truth, but in this case, it was much more than embellishment, it was a thoughtless and deliberate misleading of the loyal fan base, designed to line CA's coffers at the expense of the consumers. They duped thousands of us - long term TW enthusiasts - into pre-ordering, knowing full-well that the game was in a state completely opposed to what they had shown and told us through their marketing campaign. That sort of behaviour I find to be inexcusable. I mean there were players out there who spent thousands of pounds on building new computers for this release, and who booked time off work so they'd be able to play it. CA didn't give one iota of a about them.

Now you might call me melodramatic, and that's fine, but Total War is the only game that play, and, regardless of financial concerns I'm still annoyed that the people running the business end of CA/SEGA tricked their loyal fans and nearly destroyed the entire franchise in the process. Through their games, whether they like it or not, CA have indirectly built a huge yet close-knit community unlike anything I've ever seen for any other game and as a result - again whether they like it or not - they have a moral duty (not a legal obligation) to not deliberately mislead that community.

At the end of the day, CA producing top quality games is a win win for everyone. CA make lots of money from sales, we all enjoy the game. In this case, CA made lots of money from sales, and most of us did not enjoy the game. See how the equation doesn't quite work out in the latter example?
    I don't believe their advertisements were done in bad faith. Like you said, if CA produces at its best, it's a win-win. It is a very poor long-term business strategy to deceive and upset your customers, so I cannot imagine it was an intentional fumble to make a quick buck on the Rome 2 name. Had that really been the case, CA wouldn't be working so hard to "fix" it. If I were to guess, I'd say it was simply a case of the left hand not talking to the right (e.g. advertising vs. dev teams). I work for one of the most successful banks in the world (top 10), and it's amazing how we function at all given how often our "wires get crossed." I learned from my mistake of pre-ordering R2TW, and hopefully CA learned from theirs. I can almost guarantee that the next TW pre-orders wont sell as strongly as R2TW did. Unless.... if gamers are a bunch'a idiots, then I'll probably be eating crow this time next year.
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; August 29, 2014 at 04:05 PM.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Quote Originally Posted by Leving View Post
    1. A working political system, as advertised.
    2. Working siege battles as advertised (ie which don't commonly require the AI to use a stupid gimmick to stand any chance of being successful).
    3. Improvements to the Battle AI to bring it in line with what was advertised. Units running back and forth around the map and blobbing up still continues to occur.
    4. Performance enhancements in certain areas (again siege battles - especially on barbarian settlements - spring to mind).
    5. Working battle formations, again as advertised.

These are things I feel that I am still 'owed'. That being said, a lot of my misgivings regarding Rome II do not stem from what I personally feel I am "owed" but instead from what I feel CA metaphorically owe the Total War franchise and its community. In other words this is to say that they "owe" it to community to produce more than what they have done. The community, if you'll allow me to clarify, being those who over a number of years have, through their enthusiasm for the game, made the franchise the financial success that it is today.

Now of course, when I say owe I'm using the word in a loose, rather than a technical sense: that is to say they don't owe anything in a financial sense, but I feel that they do in a moral sense.

Just to finalize, I believe that CA "owe" the consumers what they promised us: 'The biggest and best Total War to date'. I won't go as far as to say that their pre-release marketing campaign was based on lies, but there was certainly an element of a scam about it. The product that they delivered to us in September of last year was nothing like the product that they had advertised over the 3-6 months prior to its release. Of course, most people accept that ad campaigns tend to embellish on the truth, but in this case, it was much more than embellishment, it was a thoughtless and deliberate misleading of the loyal fan base, designed to line CA's coffers at the expense of the consumers. They duped thousands of us - long term TW enthusiasts - into pre-ordering, knowing full-well that the game was in a state completely opposed to what they had shown and told us through their marketing campaign. That sort of behaviour I find to be inexcusable. I mean there were players out there who spent thousands of pounds on building new computers for this release, and who booked time off work so they'd be able to play it. CA didn't give one iota of a about them.

Now you might call me melodramatic, and that's fine, but Total War is the only game that play, and, regardless of financial concerns I'm still annoyed that the people running the business end of CA/SEGA tricked their loyal fans and nearly destroyed the entire franchise in the process. Through their games, whether they like it or not, CA have indirectly built a huge yet close-knit community unlike anything I've ever seen for any other game and as a result - again whether they like it or not - they have a moral duty (not a legal obligation) to not deliberately mislead that community.

At the end of the day, CA producing top quality games is a win win for everyone. CA make lots of money from sales, we all enjoy the game. In this case, CA made lots of money from sales, and most of us did not enjoy the game. See how the equation doesn't quite work out in the latter example?
    The political system is being reworked, as stated in the RP. Civil wars are being expanded and opened up to multiple instances. This should help with late game steamrolling.

Patch 14, or the Siege AI patch, has been widely praised both here and at /r/totalwar as a massive improvement.

I've not seen a single instance of units running back and forth and blobbing up, as you put it. I have 1209 hours logged into Rome II as of this moment. I think I would've seen such by now. And barbarian factions are supposed to be like this, due to the fact their armies were not as organized as their Greek/Roman counterparts.

Performance enhancements? Do you mean as in framerates? Mine runs pretty smoothly (~50-55 fps) with my old i5 750 and a single Radeon R9 270 and 4GB DDR3 1333.

To produce more than what they have done? 14 patches, a large handful of free extra content, 16 RPs to update us on progress, a constant presence both here, the other forums, and at /r/totalwar to keep us informed, and now the Emperor Edition with all its features, as well as a brand new campaign, all for $0? Would you have them give you a new TW game for free? I'm also well aware the community is the lifeblood of the TW franchise. I have been a part of it for 10 years, and a modding contributor for a span of 5 years. The modding community has made a huge comeback with Rome II, CA holds specific events just for that portion of the community, and have even hired from within that pool.

"The biggest and best Total War to date" is and always will be in the eye of the beholder. That's standard PR. What would you have them say, "this TW is pretty good, but we think Medieval 2 was better"? But to hold them to making every single player think Rome II is "the biggest and best" is ludicrous. Some here think RTW is the best in the series. Some, Shogun 2. Some, ETW. It's a matter of opinion. But you cannot hold a thing against them for promoting their new product in such a fashion. Every company does this. It's unrealistic for you to think they could please even 75% of this community in such a way.

Refer to SPARTAN VI's post above mine for even more that the game is nowhere near as bad off as you claim it is.

As for people spending thousands of pounds/dollars/whatever building a new system for this game, none of that is CA's fault. Nobody forced a single one of those people to buy all that hardware, or set aside time from work to play a video game. That irresponsibility is on those people who did that, not CA. Here I am, running the game on mostly 5-7 year old hardware, and running it smooth as silk with hardly any issue at all. Such is the nature of PC gaming. This isn't an Xbox or Playstation or Wii game where the hardware is standardized. It's PC software, that runs on potentially millions of possible configurations. It's not going to run smoothly for everyone. And with 14 patches addressing those issues, I'd say CA has done their part to correct them. And they still have a little more than a year left on the support time frame given for the game.

Nobody nearly destroyed the entire franchise. This is how TW games are released. They always start out in a horrendous state, with the exception of the original STW/MTW games. RTW, M2TW, ETW, and Shogun 2 were all a hot mess when they all launched. Every single one of them. CTDs, missing features, buggy AI, cheap AI, pathfinding issues, graphical errors, performance issues, compatibility issues, hell Shogun 2's MP feature was a nightmare for months after it launched, and the game didn't even have basic anti-aliasing when it came out. And right now, you can find large groups of people here, at other forums, and on reddit who will tell you each of those games are their favorites in the franchise's history. ETW has a huge portion of posts at /r/totalwar about all the fun people have in that old game, and still do, and it was regarded as the most buggy and worst launch in TW history. This is the natural cycle of TW games. They start off really poorly optimized and lacking in some areas, and are patched and added to over the following years. Are they ever perfect? No. Will any of them ever be exactly what you wanted? No.

And lastly, for you to say "most of us did not enjoy the game" is pretty arrogant. Are you now the spokesperson for "most of us"? You certainly don't speak for me. You certainly don't speak for the thousands of posts over at the TW subreddit that show people having a great time with the game, praising CA for their patches and consistent, relentless efforts to improve the game. You are stuck on a year ago, and refuse to accept the fact that the game has gotten better, much better in fact. And now with the EE coming at zero cost to you or anyone who owns Rome II, it's likely to get even better, and many people are enjoying the game now. Does anyone owe you anything, financially or morally? Not at all. You are responsible for your own money and how you spend it. If you've seen even a single TW game before Rome II, you'd know this. They all start out this way. Creative Assembly put out a game last September that didn't live up to the hype, or the features advertised. And for the last 12 months, they've relentlessly worked and put out free content, 14 patches, listened to feedback from the community and implemented many of the changes asked for, and are on the eve of dropping a pretty big upgrade and additional campaign for $0.00.

At the end of the day, keep the "most of us" to yourself, because you do not speak for me, nor anyone else here. You speak only for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    The people that buy the game today pay half price and are not paying to become beta testers.

The moral of the story. Wait one year and pay half the price for a full working game that implements it's advertised features over the year.

By by the way the old "upgrade your CPU GPU" doesn't work because some people come on the forums and slaughter the fanboys by saying their I7 gtx 780 gets lower framerates than an i3. You can hear the fanboys quietly muttering as they return to their beloved, flawless game and continue to splash out the cash to support this popular business practice of releasing early, fixing later.

Like when a girlfriend sticks with her abusive, drug addict boyfriend. She keeps convincing herself "one day he'll love me" and keeps sleeping with him in the hopes that one day he'll love him. Loves blind my friend and I think you're a victim of it.
    The moral of the story is, wait one year and pay half price for a game is the quickest way to watch a developer of games you enjoy go the way of the dodo. I preordered Rome II, knowing CA would fix what needed to be fixed, because I have watched this company for 13 years. That's not my opinion, that's based on their previous actions with supporting and fixing their previous games.

And people are literally paying to be beta testers on Steam. That's not a metaphor. "Early Access Betas" are literally being purchased for half price, 20% off, etc. DayZ is one such example, and that trend is growing by leaps and bounds on Steam. That's also literally running the risk of buying a game that may or may not ever be completed at all. So that point of yours is moot.

Upgrading doesn't work? Slaughter fanboys saying their 780 doesn't have great framerates? A) try running even RTW on an ATi Rage 128 Pro, and b) you apparently don't understand the concept of driver sets for untested, brand new, cutting edge hardware. Of course they don't run great. They're brand new, running brand new driver sets that are unoptimized, untested, and relatively unknown. That's why my old Radeon 4870 ran Rome II better than some of these top of the line GPUs people foolishly dropped $500+ on. My GPU had long proven and optimized driver sets. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Lastly, using physically abusive relationships is a poor analogy for video games that need to be patched for millions of hardware configuration possibilities. This isn't an Xbox game. CA doesn't have the safety and comfort of developing for one particular GPU and CPU and API that millions use. They have to develop for millions of possible configurations, and no developer in video game history has ever done that. You're being unrealistic.
    Last edited by Bella; August 29, 2014 at 04:18 PM.

spiderknight's Avatar Ordinarius

The game in its vanilla state doesnt look anything like what was shown in the prerelease carthage video. They said it would look better than that. I can play the game on the highest settings and yet when i play Shogun 2 there is something about that game that just looks better. You can give away all the free you want its still . And that's the point. Free stuff doesn't do us any good if the mechanics behind it don't get fixed. Go and play EB2 and try and tell me that CA will make a trait or building system like that......

Ill take their free stuff but lets see this update for what it is....giving us what we already paid for.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    We’ve announced the definitive version of ROME II – the Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition.

Emperor Edition collects together all free content to date, which includes wide-ranging revisions, additions to game features and adds a brand new Campaign Pack expansion, ‘Imperator Augustus’.

Most importantly, existing ROME II players will receive all of the above content via automatic update on the day of launch, upgrading them to Emperor Edition at no cost.

We go into a lot of detail about what’s included in this month’s episode of Rally Point, so join Craig and Matty in this episode to find out more.

A beta will be available soon that will test some of the features in Emperor Edition, please keep an eye on our Facebook, Twitter and official forum for details!
    First of all; many thanks for the free upgrade of my game, really appreciate that!
    Second; Any news about modding tools to edit the whole game like expanding the map, adding regions / provinces and edit existing ones? (Copy paste from YouTube )

johan_d's Avatar Civis

In my RTW2 there are naval battles, but your milage may vary.
    Any upgrades on that ? or is that a forgotten niche in the game ?
    Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
    Infinitus est numerus stultorum

Quote Originally Posted by spiderknight View Post
    The game in its vanilla state doesnt look anything like what was shown in the prerelease carthage video. They said it would look better than that. I can play the game on the highest settings and yet when i play Shogun 2 there is something about that game that just looks better. You can give away all the free you want its still . And that's the point. Free stuff doesn't do us any good if the mechanics behind it don't get fixed. Go and play EB2 and try and tell me that CA will make a trait or building system like that......

Ill take their free stuff but lets see this update for what it is....giving us what we already paid for.
    I do recall the prelease Carthage video, and I do remember them mentioning that was alpha footage that could be very different from the final product.

Shogun 2 is nowhere near as massive of a game, with a vastly inferior number of assets, than Rome II. It's much easier to touch up an image of a baseball than a Van Gogh or da Vinci.

And I'm not disputing the Empire Edition is what the game was meant to be. In fact, I already mentioned exactly that earlier in this thread.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

The way I see it, Emperor is a complete re-release of Rome 2. I bet this is how they wanted it to be released if they hadn't been rushed.

I'm pants wettingly excited about the new civil war mechanic to say the least
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    The way I see it, Emperor is a complete re-release of Rome 2. I bet this is how they wanted it to be released if they hadn't been rushed.

I'm pants wettingly excited about the new civil war mechanic to say the least

Yes, it's pretty obvious. Though it should not have been. However, if we get everything in it free... Then they are due some credit... It doesn't mean I'll buy Ca's next game on release though. Sorry.

Oh and torch use still needs getting rid of.

Libertus

The political system is being reworked, as stated in the RP. Civil wars are being expanded and opened up to multiple instances. This should help with late game steamrolling.

Patch 14, or the Siege AI patch, has been widely praised both here and at /r/totalwar as a massive improvement.

I've not seen a single instance of units running back and forth and blobbing up, as you put it. I have 1209 hours logged into Rome II as of this moment. I think I would've seen such by now. And barbarian factions are supposed to be like this, due to the fact their armies were not as organized as their Greek/Roman counterparts.

Performance enhancements? Do you mean as in framerates? Mine runs pretty smoothly (~50-55 fps) with my old i5 750 and a single Radeon R9 270 and 4GB DDR3 1333.

To produce more than what they have done? 14 patches, a large handful of free extra content, 16 RPs to update us on progress, a constant presence both here, the other forums, and at /r/totalwar to keep us informed, and now the Emperor Edition with all its features, as well as a brand new campaign, all for $0? Would you have them give you a new TW game for free? I'm also well aware the community is the lifeblood of the TW franchise. I have been a part of it for 10 years, and a modding contributor for a span of 5 years. The modding community has made a huge comeback with Rome II, CA holds specific events just for that portion of the community, and have even hired from within that pool.

"The biggest and best Total War to date" is and always will be in the eye of the beholder. That's standard PR. What would you have them say, "this TW is pretty good, but we think Medieval 2 was better"? But to hold them to making every single player think Rome II is "the biggest and best" is ludicrous. Some here think RTW is the best in the series. Some, Shogun 2. Some, ETW. It's a matter of opinion. But you cannot hold a thing against them for promoting their new product in such a fashion. Every company does this. It's unrealistic for you to think they could please even 75% of this community in such a way.

Refer to SPARTAN VI's post above mine for even more that the game is nowhere near as bad off as you claim it is.

As for people spending thousands of pounds/dollars/whatever building a new system for this game, none of that is CA's fault. Nobody forced a single one of those people to buy all that hardware, or set aside time from work to play a video game. That irresponsibility is on those people who did that, not CA. Here I am, running the game on mostly 5-7 year old hardware, and running it smooth as silk with hardly any issue at all. Such is the nature of PC gaming. This isn't an Xbox or Playstation or Wii game where the hardware is standardized. It's PC software, that runs on potentially millions of possible configurations. It's not going to run smoothly for everyone. And with 14 patches addressing those issues, I'd say CA has done their part to correct them. And they still have a little more than a year left on the support time frame given for the game.

Nobody nearly destroyed the entire franchise. This is how TW games are released. They always start out in a horrendous state, with the exception of the original STW/MTW games. RTW, M2TW, ETW, and Shogun 2 were all a hot mess when they all launched. Every single one of them. CTDs, missing features, buggy AI, cheap AI, pathfinding issues, graphical errors, performance issues, compatibility issues, hell Shogun 2's MP feature was a nightmare for months after it launched, and the game didn't even have basic anti-aliasing when it came out. And right now, you can find large groups of people here, at other forums, and on reddit who will tell you each of those games are their favorites in the franchise's history. ETW has a huge portion of posts at /r/totalwar about all the fun people have in that old game, and still do, and it was regarded as the most buggy and worst launch in TW history. This is the natural cycle of TW games. They start off really poorly optimized and lacking in some areas, and are patched and added to over the following years. Are they ever perfect? No. Will any of them ever be exactly what you wanted? No.

And lastly, for you to say "most of us did not enjoy the game" is pretty arrogant. Are you now the spokesperson for "most of us"? You certainly don't speak for me. You certainly don't speak for the thousands of posts over at the TW subreddit that show people having a great time with the game, praising CA for their patches and consistent, relentless efforts to improve the game. You are stuck on a year ago, and refuse to accept the fact that the game has gotten better, much better in fact. And now with the EE coming at zero cost to you or anyone who owns Rome II, it's likely to get even better, and many people are enjoying the game now. Does anyone owe you anything, financially or morally? Not at all. You are responsible for your own money and how you spend it. If you've seen even a single TW game before Rome II, you'd know this. They all start out this way. Creative Assembly put out a game last September that didn't live up to the hype, or the features advertised. And for the last 12 months, they've relentlessly worked and put out free content, 14 patches, listened to feedback from the community and implemented many of the changes asked for, and are on the eve of dropping a pretty big upgrade and additional campaign for $0.00.

At the end of the day, keep the "most of us" to yourself, because you do not speak for me, nor anyone else here. You speak only for yourself.

The moral of the story is, wait one year and pay half price for a game is the quickest way to watch a developer of games you enjoy go the way of the dodo. I preordered Rome II, knowing CA would fix what needed to be fixed, because I have watched this company for 13 years. That's not my opinion, that's based on their previous actions with supporting and fixing their previous games.

And people are literally paying to be beta testers on Steam. That's not a metaphor. "Early Access Betas" are literally being purchased for half price, 20% off, etc. DayZ is one such example, and that trend is growing by leaps and bounds on Steam. That's also literally running the risk of buying a game that may or may not ever be completed at all. So that point of yours is moot.

Upgrading doesn't work? Slaughter fanboys saying their 780 doesn't have great framerates? A) try running even RTW on an ATi Rage 128 Pro, and b) you apparently don't understand the concept of driver sets for untested, brand new, cutting edge hardware. Of course they don't run great. They're brand new, running brand new driver sets that are unoptimized, untested, and relatively unknown. That's why my old Radeon 4870 ran Rome II better than some of these top of the line GPUs people foolishly dropped $500+ on. My GPU had long proven and optimized driver sets. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Lastly, using physically abusive relationships is a poor analogy for video games that need to be patched for millions of hardware configuration possibilities. This isn't an Xbox game. CA doesn't have the safety and comfort of developing for one particular GPU and CPU and API that millions use. They have to develop for millions of possible configurations, and no developer in video game history has ever done that. You're being unrealistic.
    You do realize thats why people are mad. We dont want them to release games i that state thats the point. What your doing is minimazing it and saying its no big deal and contributing to them doing it again. What made people go so nuts on this game is beacuse of all the promises they made and the fact that fo many people this was the sequel to their favorite game and for them it had to be the best. It was supposed to be a game in which ca show everything they have learned so far instead it was the opposite it comined all of the mistakes into one game. If your a true total war fan and want te series to progress you cant just say thats how every total war game is we have to force them to change that.

EmperorJulian's Avatar Civitate

I must admit, the idea of being able to play as Marcus Aemilius Lepidus actually does intrigue me. As the "forgotten" member of the Second Triumvirate, it would be rather fun (I think anyway) to lead his faction to victory over his more well known historical contemporaries. I also wonder what his faction or family would represent, what the characteristics would be, as it were: I am interested to find out to be sure. Of course, this is assuming you're not simply railroaded into playing as Octavian; though from what I'm reading that doesn't seem all that likely at this point.

I did get a chuckle however at the boys at CA assuring us that all the stuff we've already got (patches, Free-LC, content, etc.) will be in the Emperor Edition. I understand what they're trying to convey, but it did seem a tad humorous regardless.

As for the rest of this announcement, I'm happy to hear about the Civil Wars being reworked (I wonder how this will affect factions other than Rome/Carthage) and I am excited (as always) to see what new factions might be fleshed out. Armenia was mentioned, but certainly there's room to grow elsewhere as well. We've got no playable factions (mods excluded) in Arabia or Africa, and to date they've not given us any further entries into the German or British contingents. I mean, what's Rome II without taking the Cimbri to victory anyway?

I've only just recently tried a few campaigns in R2TW, after shelving the game back in September. Perhaps there will indeed be more incentive to play in the near future - at least so I can get my monies worth if nothing else.
    Under the Patronage of Valus the Indefatigable.

Wittman's Avatar Biarchus

Hmm nice,will see how it works when it gets out
    Please check your PM folder-Garb.

Perhaps I spoke to candidly when I used the phrase 'most of us', though if you'd rather I can amend my statement to the following: 'many of us did not enjoy the game'. I hope this satisfies you somewhat.

To elaborate a little further on the points you raised regarding who I speak for, it is assumed that individuals on independent forums - such as this is - only speak for themselves. (This of course being despite the fact that their view points will inevitably coincide with the views of others.) On that score, and whilst I accept your point in its broadest sense, it was probably unnecessary for you to highlight it so forcefully, as it was also unnecessary for you to invoke, what I perceived an attack against my person by referring to me as 'arrogant' before then attempting to mock my closing statement.

Since I do not enjoy playing semantics - even though it is a method commonly employed by those attempting to debunk the arguments of others - I will not spend much time picking through the finer grammatical details of your post, though I will point out that your use of the absolute adverbs 'always' and 'all' (which you helpfully highlighted for me) could be criticized on the same grounds as my use of the word 'most'. I find this to be somewhat ironic.

So now that we have got the handbags out of the way, I'd like to continue the debate about the game - since that is why, I presume, we are all here. (Again however, perhaps I should mind my my use of adjectives/adverbs to avoid giving offense. Would you rather I said 'that is why most of us are here'?)

My main point in my previous post was that video games should not be released in the state that Rome II was released. This is regardless of whether or not 'all' other previous iterations of the franchise have been released as such ( a position which, as it so happens, I don't agree with anyway). Games being released in an unsatisfactory state is becoming a trend in the industry, and I would like to highlight that I condemn all developers and or publishers -not just CA - who, for whatever reasons, act to perpetuate that trend. Rome II is just the latest in a long list of titles which has been pushed out of the door to facilitate the needs of the producers and not the consumers. Sim City, Battlefield IV and Stronghold III are examples of recent games which I consider to fall into the category of shamelessly rushed.

Taking this into account you seem to think that I should feel grateful that CA decided to fix and improve a game which, in my opinion (and indeed the opinion of a great many others if you bother to check metacritic for example), was in a state of disrepair. I'm not going to thank a corporation for completing their end of the bargain 12 months after they had my money. Again, just because some businesses choose to release broken games and then never patch/improve them doesn't give CA brownie points for doing so. It just makes them less-bad, for want of a better turn-of-phrase. Frankly I don't care if they worked hard fixing the game, under the circumstances they were obligated too - especially in a financial sense. If they had left the game as it was, I believe that their reputation would have been ruined. Many of us work hard in our daily lives and don't expect praise for delivering what was expected from us: I don't get offered golden stars for doing my job properly the first time, let alone a year later. Again, this is a problem within the gaming industry where it seems to feel as though these sort of practices are acceptable and I do not believe that they are.

Now, moving onto the more subjective and therefore difficult discussions.

I agree that patch 14 did improve siege AI. That being said the fact that it took CA 8 or 9 months to give us a siege AI that in terms of capability is on par with the siege AI from Medieval II (a game over 6 years old) doesn't make me want to shower affection on them. In fact, from a personal perspective, I thought the sieges in Medieval II were much better - even though I accept they still had their flaws - because at least they were free of ridiculous gimmicks (ie torches) and were designed to gel with the campaign map more effectively. In my opinion having 1 turn sieges is stupid since it defeats the whole point of walls, which in my view was to buy time for the defender. Indeed, it appears that CA agreed with this position since they did not originally give the attackers instant siege weapons, and only did so because they figured that it was better that they had a set of ladders than they just torched the gate anyway. The long and short of it is that sieges in Total War Rome II almost always end up in the attacker breaching the defenses of the defender, just because defending against torches is usually impossible and I do not like this aspect of the game.

Then I don't know if we are playing the same game. If in over 1200 hours you have not seen a single instance of the AI constantly re-arranging its army in the most ridiculous way possible (ie having all its units run through one another) or if you have not seen the AI forming attack blobs (particularly in minor settlement battles) then I call you either exceptionally fortunate or blissfully unobservant. Indeed, there was a recent picture in one of the stickied threads of this forum which shows what I'm talking about. I'll try and find that for you as soon as I can.

True, and yet I still feel as though I was duped by the advertising campaign. The reason that in my previous post I refused to call the marketting team lairs is because most marketing is inherently subjective and therefore cannot be construed as a lie. I would just prefer not to be so horribly misled by a team which knew that the game they were going to give us was nothing like what they were showing us. Personally, and to refer back to my main point, I'd rather that the industry just did away with this scourge of false advertising to trick unsuspecting customers into pre-ordering. Of course, part of the blame you can rest on the shoulders of the consumers, because they are the ones who pre-order, but I also feel the produces shoulder much of the responsibility. As I said in a previous post, if people want to side with the corporates, that is their prerogative (of course) but they don't care about either you or your defenses. Moreover, they don't deserve them.

As to the DLC, which is of course what this topic concerns, I will only pass judgment on it when it has been released. I will not give CA one iota of credit until I have played it. At the moment all we have is promises: promises which aren't too different to those we were offered just over twelve months ago. They say that this new content will fix politics, but then again who knows. If its a similar fix to what we saw for siege AI, then I'll be glad it actually works, but won't be impressed by its functionality.

Just to round off, I actually respect a lot of the people who work at CA (especially the likes of Jack Lusted) because I think they do actually care about the game, this community and Total War as a whole. He, imparticular has been a leading figure in this community since I can remember, and so for that I am grateful. I am not, however, so sympathetic that I will simply shower them and SEGA with praise because they brought the game up to what is in my opinion a playable state. If you find Rome II Total War a really enjoyable game as it is, then I am happy for you, though my own standards for this franchise appear, sadly, to be much higher.
    Last edited by Cope; August 29, 2014 at 05:50 PM.

Wittman's Avatar Biarchus

Dude cmon,i always criticize when something is wrong or falsly advertised,but this is for free,nothing bad can happen from this,just stop raging for your imaginative Super Extra Perfect Total War game.
    Please check your PM folder-Garb.