Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Citizenship and Other Awards Suggestions

Sounds like a great plan

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

please check the Milestone award discussion, since we already approached the matter of having it laddered

however, while I see from where you are coming from, the idea of the MILESTONE itself makes it so that it has to be one single important achievement, so rather than modifying that award, I would think on something different for intermediate achievements

as I'm here, I always wanted to propose an amendment to the Milestone award so that it would trigger at 15 years even if one doesn't have the 10k posts, what do ya people think?

edit:

Awarded to those who have been on TWC for 10 years and have accumulated 10,000 posts or have been on TWC for 15 years and have accumulated 5,000, and have posted after completing both of the former.
    5000 posts over 15 years is really nothing (a post every 10 days or so), we can even think of putting no limit, but come on, if you haven't posted 5000 times in 15 years, how can you call yourself a "member" of the community?
    Last edited by Flinn; May 28, 2020 at 09:55 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

please check the Milestone award discussion
    Do you have a link?

however, while I see from where you are coming from, the idea of the MILESTONE itself makes it so that it has to be one single important achievement, so rather than modifying that award, I would think on something different for intermediate achievements
    I agree. A 5years/5k posts is something else that's appealing to me. I'm not sure I like the 1year/1k posts thing too much.

as I'm here, I always wanted to propose an amendment to the Milestone award so that it would trigger at 15 years even of one doesn't have the 10k posts, what do ya people think?
    Would you give them the same award or would we make a different one? Seems weird to give them the 10 year award at 15 years even though I understand the logic. I like the idea of giving out an award for 15 years though, I'm just not sure the 10 year milestone award is the right one.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I'd like it if there was an automation of milestones like this to mark someone's 'progress' as a user, in a way that would blend in with titles and rep. Honestly though, I'm not even the largest fan of the milestone award as is; the 'tiering' feels like clutter, particularly with the shorter periods. In reconciling awards personally, I think they best serve as a metric for what you've done more specifically, not as a general 'great, you threw posts around and existed for x period of time!'. Exception for the current milestone given it invokes at an admittedly pretty significant point. If anything I'd prefer more qualitative additions to the award list. But I digress since there's nothing about the idea that wouldn't fit the site as I see it.

So I understand the points that are contrary to the suggestion, and I can sympathize with the detractors' sentiments. But I still think there is something worth doing.

@Flinn: I am not sold on the auto-trigger at 15 years. It gives people an award just for having been around. I mean, there are folks who will have registered simply to ask one or two support questions about mods, and nothing else, and their mere presence for so long doesn't seem like an "achievement" worth decorating. So I wouldn't want milestones to be linked only to time, but always instead to time and participation together.

@Imperator: I get your feeling that the milestoning is something of a "clutter", and that some properly qualitative awards would be good to add (rather than such trivial things as having been around and active in some fashion). But that being said, I believe it might be clever if we were to consider some type(s) of awards that are more generalist in nature, just so that we can provide little gimmicks for getting semi-active people to be more active. My main thought is thus not really about the award itself, but rather about subtle ways to improve site traffic, and do so in a way that encourages regular participation. Are there any other kinds of awards that might be suggested to perform such a service?
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Blog Entries

Can someone start a separate discussion thread for those proposals, please? This thread is mostly for "suggesting people for citizenship and curial awards", so it's not really suited for discussions

thanks
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Can someone start a separate discussion thread for those proposals, please? This thread is mostly for "suggesting people for citizenship and curial awards", so it's not really suited for discussions

thanks
    Making something now. Will edit this post with a link as soon as I'm done.

EDIT: The new thread for proposing awards is now live. If someone could move posts 158 -- 165 of this thread over to that one, that would be helpful. Also, if it seems worth doing, it might be good to sticky that thread as well. And finally, to reduce confusion, I think it might also be worthwhile to rename this thread to something like "Potential Nominees for Citizenship or Other Awards". Just something to indicate that this thread is about discussing who might deserve an award, while the other thread is for discussing the awards themselves.
    Last edited by Kilo11; May 29, 2020 at 04:15 AM.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Proposals, Suggestions, and Discussion of New Awards

This is a great idea, thread stickied .

Thanks Kilo!

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Citizenship and Other Awards - Suggested Nominees

Done and done. If anyone who has the power to edit the thread title can think of a better name for it, go ahead and change it to that. This is the best me and kilo could come up with .

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Anyone who has been an admin for at least six months is also granted the Patrician rank.
    God Damnit, do you have any idea how much time I had to give up over multiple contributions for Novus only to be granted Patrician because GED didn't fire me for six months??? I could have been so much lazier, but YOU'VE RUINED IT!

Also hello, fellow citizens:

Be patient till the last.
    Citizens, countrymen, and lovers! hear me for my
    cause, and be silent, that you may hear: believe me
    for mine honour, and have respect to mine honour, that
    you may believe: censure me in your wisdom, and
    awake your senses, that you may the better judge.
    If there be any in this assembly, any dear friend of
    Akar's, to him I say, that Ponti's love to Akar
    was no less than his. If then that friend demand
    why Ponti rose against Akar this is my answer:
    --Not that I loved Akar less, but that I loved
    The Curia more. Had you rather Akar were living and
    die all slaves, than that Akar were dead, to live
    all free men? As Akar loved me, I weep for him;
    as he was fortunate, I rejoice at it; as he was
    valiant, I honour him: but, as he was ambitious, I
    slew him. There is tears for his love; joy for his
    fortune; honour for his valour; and death for his
    ambition. Who is here so base that would be a
    bondman? If any, speak; for him have I offended.
    Who is here so rude that would not be a Citizen? If
    any, speak; for him have I offended. Who is here so
    vile that will not love his country? If any, speak;
    for him have I offended. I pause for a reply.

Akar is obviously a saucy rogue, whose posts have provided many with frivolity and with great humor he has made this little space a little bit more enjoyable through his sense of humor. What has marred his efforts in this? Why frankly, seeing his dangly bits. Sometimes the mask slips, and we see the dangly bits. I have, at this point, several great grandchildren posting in the Curia and frankly I do not know how to explain it. The simplest solution is to clad Akar in a loincloth. I would advise we clothe him in a diaper but sadly no such award exists.

Let any who oppose me present themselves here in order to fight. I will fight you. God damnit I will fight you, come on then, COME ON

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Proposals, Suggestions, and Discussion of New Awards

Hate to be an art critic of volunteers, but am I the only one who really doesn't like the look of the Milestone award?

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    @Imperator: I get your feeling that the milestoning is something of a "clutter", and that some properly qualitative awards would be good to add (rather than such trivial things as having been around and active in some fashion). But that being said, I believe it might be clever if we were to consider some type(s) of awards that are more generalist in nature, just so that we can provide little gimmicks for getting semi-active people to be more active. My main thought is thus not really about the award itself, but rather about subtle ways to improve site traffic, and do so in a way that encourages regular participation. Are there any other kinds of awards that might be suggested to perform such a service?
    Subtle improvements of site traffic are in my opinion outside the remit of simply adding awards. The most effective methods require a technical backend we don't currently have or a level of drive to 'change the game' it seems we can't muster. I intend to construct a forum as a proof of concept and also help out a community in need of a central hub; though it'll be xenforo and far more humble in size, perhaps that'll give some ideas.

As far as awards awarding the act of being a generally contributing member, that is the essence of my desire to remake the modding awards into three-tier paths; one for the act of releasing content (mod, submod, etc), the other for people being helpful (guides, tools, and participation in troubleshooting). It's mainly fallen aside for lack of proper naming and visual design. I guess I warmed to the idea after seeing its growing adaptation for the wiki and blogs. It might not be qualitative for the blogs, but given its usual content and inherent requirements, it does the job perfectly well imo.

Blog Entries

lol

as for Akar's loincloth, I already promised him that I would give him my used one, as long as he will wear it as face mask, that is

if you ask me, I think it's just a bit early to propose Akar for a loincloth, he did a lot that's true, and he's been investing a lot of time and efforts in that, but I still personally don't have the feeling that it would be fully granted.. at the moment I would probably abstain on such a proposal, though I'm sure he would get in any case enough support to get it

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Akar has a legacy. Padding it out wouldn't hurt, but I'd call it rather strong as it is.

Blog Entries

Just saying: as much as it really depends on the situation, the opinion of the applicant is important as well, IMO.. some people don't wont awards (or at the least Curial awards) so why pushing them? Most of people is certainly happy and/or surprised to be proposed for a Large Award, but I'd say that some have also been working towards getting a certain large award, and they'll probably have their own idea about how and when to apply for it..

In other words, even though not technically forbidden by the rules, it's rude, to say the least, to propose someone for an award without having their clear approval and possibly their participation in the making of the induction post.. I have as of today 1 citizen and 3 large awards waiting for the feedback of the applicants, and I won't move forward even if they are long overdue or blatantly due (the citizenship is basically 4 years old, one of the large awards is the kind of "damn, how could have we missed awarding this dude already?".

Why am I telling this? Because a part of the purpose of having an applicant/sponsor(patron) duo is to foster the bond between the two, as well as giving a better insight over what the applicant has been doing.. but probably the most important part is the sense of satisfaction and achievement the applicant should be feeling, which is doubled or tripled by how the induction is presented, IMO.. so to cut it short, a properly done citizenship application/award induction needs time, communication between the parts and a well though construction, to get the best out of it.. otherwise it'is just people telling each other "yo mannnn, you are coooolll, get this new t-shirt!".

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

You're gonna take my Divus one way or another. No, don't, stop just means no don't stop.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

For the record, if you want to give it to me I'll take it

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

May be we should organize a kind of awards garage sale during which any awarded member could give the award he doesn't want anymore to Akar
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Now THAT is an idea!

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    he's been investing a lot of time
    Akar has invested a lot of time for a certain award.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.