Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: RELEASED (pre-alpha)

Default Re: RELEASED (pre-alpha)

It is true that Medieval II has extraordinary longevity as a game. :-) What we have not realized at the time when we actively developed the DotS was that we have pushed the game way too far and basically made it technically unplayable as the released Alpha manifests. These are the two main issues:

- Too many rivers on the campaign map making its rendering very buggy and crashing the map at places.
    - Too many permanent stone forst (PSFs) processing in the campaign_script.txt. The script itself is over 70mb!

Both could probably be resolved by reducing the rivers and PSFs to more manageable numbers. IIRC there were some 2500 PSFs planned and my estimate would be that about 500 could be actually viable in a game.

However such change would compromise the research and careful plan for the campaign in DotS and would even mean that the map is way too big for it. Encompassing entire Sahara, Arabic peninsula and Iceland turned out to be too much. We planned PSFs to provide dynamics to all those regions but as it turned out the PSFs (or rather the scripts associated with them) were too much for the game to handle.

If I was to do it again today knowing the limits of the game I would argue for much smaller scope of both the map and the features we wanted to fit in. Probably even shorter time frame. Overall I believe it the DotS is a great testament of passion and dedication of hundreds of people who have been involved with it over the years but the ambition was much greater than what the game actually allows to do and for that reason it will not be revived or indeed "finished" since it is simply impossible.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Foederatus

Thank you for this post, Resurrection. Even if that councludes DotS history I still believe it has its achievements (showed us what a Total War game can be, gave multitude of content for other mods to use, etc) and thank you and the team for it.

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

Still can't really enjoy any other overhaul featuring the middle ages when thinking of DotS...
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

Does anyone know when the actual file will be released to the public? Looks like a really good mod! Keep it up!

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

There will never be a playable version of Dominion of the Sword if there won't be an entirely new modding team, which is very unlikely to happen, as hard as it is.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

can anyone confirm that the DotS material is now open source? i have seen mentions of this on the forum but just want to confirm

If they release a medieval 2 remastered as is rumored, this mod could become a possibility which would be very exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by sr1111 View Post
    If they release a medieval 2 remastered as is rumored, this mod could become a possibility which would be very exciting.
    Indeed it would and I would even consider returning to DotS if it became viable as a result. There are several engine mods around but none of them got very far. Given Rome Remaster has actually removed the limits from the game and it runs on the same engine as Medieval 2 if they did Medieval 2 remaster I would assume the same - no limits anymore. That would be absolutely huge. No need for permanents stone forts or not as substitute for regions. No need to amalgamate factions / enforcing faction transitions. Ability to representing minor factions. Ability to have fortified capitals (consuming 2 regions). Expanding the map further. Possibly even better scripting support as the campaign_script was very limited (e.g. no loops, no variables...). We'll see. :-)

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

EOP is a project to watch regarding scripting support, unfortunately not regarding faction support. if there will be a remaster, Feral is either keeping their cards very close to their chest or not involved, which would be unusual given they've been the studio doing anything with classic games so far.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

Never thought I'd see this thread alive again. It'd be great to see a revival for a potential medieval 2 remaster.
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project