Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: EB 2.X AI Faction Progression Thread

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: EB 2.X AI Faction Progression Thread

Thanks, IPH.
    I must say that the course of the Vistula river and it's tributaries (in what's today Poland - perhaps Bug and Narew) is very, very weird. There's been no change in it's course from the ancient times of those rivers and in the map they seem to go through very strange territories.

Hi guys,
    I was thinking about "converting" one of the nomad factions into a horde, taking them from their teritory and settling somewhere else. So I started Sauromatae VH/VH campain, gave all my regions to KB and allowed my capital to go rebel, this apparently turned me into a horde. I decided to set up my new homeland in southern gaul/nothern iberia. I'm already halfway through it around turn 17. I have some questions i need you to help me answer. Will I be able to built my reformed goverment and native colonies so far from my starting position? If not, is there any nomad faction that can go for this kind of journey without losing too much of their qoverment mechanics? And finally, is southern gaul good place to settle? I've chosen it because it matches my role-playing intentions and lies by the sea. But are there better places to settle? I dont want to conquer other faction, but I dont mind it if it's necessary. Which region will give me the best economics and rooster options? I was able to gather three full-stack armies so I'm able to conquer basically everything. Waiting for your suggestions guys.

Gabriel Oi Taurisia's Avatar Laetus

My little Arverni kingdom, in 2.2r, turn 127.

failing again and again to put image on the internet i'm very angry

my imgur link :
    https://imgur.com/a/BjCnd

Turn 98 Carthage 248 BC VH/VH.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Yesterday decided to finally try 2.3 (played various versions of 2.2 a lot). Was kinda expecting to just check out whats new as ive been instead busy playing TW 2. But starting my Carthage game, i got sucked in, and went from turn 1 to 98 in one session (didn't count hours, too many). So EB II still has its magic intact, and made me remember again all the good sides of this compared to new Total War series games.

Biggest problems in TW2 are related on campaign map mechanics and balance. With some general perks set right, you got nearly instantly healing armies so that only thing matters is winning without completely losing units, and you got again full army back very soon. Attrition often is fairly negligible and there is no reason to stop reinforcing with new units, or retraining and recruiting to fill ranks after heavy battles, just move around few turns and your units healed on their own. And also how auto resolve turns fairly broken if you just move 2 armies together and auto resolve, being able to conquer half the map that way with fairly little challenge. Many other things also feel overly gamey and out of balance, but that is to some extend less bad in fantasy setting instead of realistic historical one like in EB II.

Still, EB II campaign just feels way more epic in all regards and you have to smartly rule your empire and take pauses consolidating lands and all that. It's a shame new Total War series are so much harder to fully mod, as all that balance tweaking has taken EB II team years, so its understandable that vanilla versions released in hurry are nowhere near that level. Instead you get fancy new graphics and cool new gimmicks, that are entertaining for a while, but returning back to EB II just shows how much more balanced work you can do without having to rush things for deadline or having to aim for some lowest common denominator audience who is after fast fancy thrills rather than deep and complex historically accurate (as possible) journey.

Anyways, sorry for going bit off-topic ranting mode there, now back to fighting Punic Wars.

Turn 160 Carthage 233 BC VH/VH.

Some update on this campaign. In previous turn 98 it seemed like my Carthage was unstoppable and was just matter of time id beat the romans in Punic Wars. But my loyal allies to the south, Massylians, thought otherwise. While i was fighting somewhat stalemate battles west of alps and sent invasion army on the tip of Italian boot-peninsula and took Rhegium, things were perhaps looking too well for me and my overstretched and thin army presence back at homelands in Africa was exploited by my allies with sudden suprise strike. Lost 2 cites and had to go defensive with romans (my navy was my best defence, several full armies sank trying to reach Corsica) and send one army back to Northern Africa.

I still managed to hold off roman attacks at Rhegium, but they used something else to get it from me, spies and assassins, that caused unrest to hit red. Turn before it rebelled back to romans, i sold all the buildings i could, and used the money to buy my Rhegium general as many local Hastati Sabellis and the likes, and marched instead to Tarantum, at heel of italian boot. Once capturing it i sent my best spy and assassin there too to not have it go through same fate as Rhegium, both reached full skill there fairly quick. I managed to hold off several stacks of romans at bay, but after fighting 2 battles in row without being able to reinforce, the sneaky Macedonians saw their opportunity and declared war too. My battle weary troops couldn't take 3rd battle in row with chance to reinforce, and it was Hypaspistai and professional Phalangitai that ended up hacking my veterans and my perhaps best general down in the last ditch defense at city square of Tarantum.

But all these bought me over 10 years of time to fight massylians in Africa, i quickly regained my lost territories and taking their nearby cities too. Libyan Infantry with its nearly hellenic hoplite level stats yet very affordable price carried the war along with Libyan Cavalry that was very much needed as the massylians had very cavalry focused harassing armies. Their infantry was mostly skirmishers though, so whenever i got enemy pinned down in melee, they went down fast. Taking the last two desert encampments on edge of Sahara took more time as i had to amass 2 big armies for that and fight defending forces on the way there. Eventually though they both fell, at which point "people in flight" appeared even though i made sure to kill every wandering FM/army before taking their last city. Luckily i had saved some money for big upgrades for my Capital, so that 20k+ instead went to fast gathering up all forces in Iberian peninsula and Balearic islands, that got shipped to North Africa for final showdown with massylians. They fought valiantly but their people lacked the professionals or line holding capable infantry i had and they got hacked down to the last man.

Meanwhile my expedition to Crete, taking city of Knossos from rebels also eventually came to end after 20ish years of resistance. That island just ran out of mercenaries to recruit and Knossos out of men to recruit eventually, which was bit of a relief as it was mostly just money strain (constant devastation) with no real benefit and time sink too with all the defensive battles. Learned my lesson, shouldn't colonise too far away before i get matters settled back at home and surrounding regions.

So now more than 15 years later after Punic Wars started, i have finally secured my homelands and behind, improved economical situation enough to sustain further campaigns with several armies, and ill be ready to recruit my finest units and assign em to my (only) Barcid 6 star general for another southern roman peninsula campaign to regain Rhegium and Tarantum. All in all these setbacks made the campaign lot more enjoyable, and im terrified by the idea what would happen if so far peaceful iberians and gauls would also see me spread too thin and abuse that as i got only colonies in shores of Mediterranean without any deeper continental defense.

Now if only i could get that Barcid Goverment thing to trigger. Only found single general with barcid trait, and i checked through em all. Kept him at Qart-Hadasht for those titles and so far he has gotten Rab Sheni, deputy general status. But apparently i need Rab Mahnet something and i have no clue how to get it. Haven't gotten that decision screen to choose new main general in ages due constant war, so haven't been able to assign that to him. So perhaps next step is to try bribe romans with lots of money for ceasefire, so i can then elect my barcid one as main general when the hostilities resume.

Edit: It worked, had over 15 turns of peace until got peace event. Started war and chose my only Barcid characters as main war general.
    Last edited by Ziltoid; December 30, 2017 at 02:05 AM.

Areauakoi turn 163 H/H. Although I'd say I went rather slow in expansion, {for my taste, to me the main appeal of EB 2 is the potential to mix many foreign troop types with your faction roster} a lot of rather fun things happened.

To start with, while trying to consolidate my initial territories, I've ended up having most of my starting family members which had succesfully demonstrated their warrior values killed, and both my faction leader and heir became part of those who would ignore their warrior values. {one of which was somewhat unfairly, he just accidentally spent one turn in a city when he came out of age!} One would imagine this would shake things up a bit in society when important people die so easily. I allied with the Lusotannan against Carthage, expecting a bloody confrontation, but ultimately they spent most of their time bickering over Gader, which ended up having 20 percent Eleutheroi culture by the time I claimed it, while Mastia remained independent until I took it. Eventually I got tired of their inaction and seized Iboshim.

And then Lusotannan backstabbed me through the alliance. This was not unexpected as I had imagined the geographic situation just did not allow for prolonged peace, but it still was somewhat bitter. After that I had to put a spy in almost every of my cities and go on an offensive against them so they would stop spamming me with spies or trying to smuggle numerous small stacks to attack the less-defended settlements, but even though I had defeated 3 large armies of theirs and reduced them to their only city a ceasefire proposal would still be too demanding. I'm not sure if even Force Diplomacy would bail me out of this one, unless I exile them to a buffer zone somehow. And that sounds gamey to me.

After some time, sensing "weakness", Arverni attacked me as well. They actually managed to take Emporion from me, as I had underestimated them. I've retaken it, but honestly, that area only looks highly defensible. In truth it's actually a pain in the ass to hold because even if you see it coming, the enemy can just come for Iltirta through a mountain pass instead, and if you keep your main force protecting Emporion instead of Sekeiza, they would have to take the detour through Tolosa and go through the same mountain pass to attack the sieging army. And you can't go from Emporion to Iltirta in 1 turn with basic roads anyway.

Eventually I've decided I've had enough of not being able to defend this area properly and just invaded Tolosa while they were fighting Aedui. Unfortunately, they were seething with rage just as much as Lusotannan, and now one of my best generals is trapped in the situation you can witness on the edge of the screen. {it's an almost full-stack with a halfstack nearby if it's hard to see} What makes more complicated, is that the rebel stack in Iliberri used to belong my allies the Romans just a turn ago until they decided to wander off on their own.

A major source of frustration to me early on was AI's pathological inability to maintain a siege. Numerous times I had witnessed an AI stack lay siege to a city, wait a few turns, then just randomly wander off. Sometimes they would even get stuck in a cycle of laying siege, taking it off next turn, then sieging again. Surprisingly enough, this actually did not manifest when they were sieging MY cities.

At the same time, however, I'm happy that AI can manage naval invasions. Although the Lusotannan never bothered to invade Iboshim while Carthage held it with 1 unit {I presume that has something to do with my observation of AI always trying to sent roughly equal stacks of strength when sieging cities, which usually results in them getting stomped when it's against the player, but I guess it can't be helped} they have sent at least 3 halfstacks in an attempt to take them from me while they were getting stomped on the mainland. Not the smartest AI decision, but still impressive that they could manage it.

I find it pretty interesting that Epeiros had pretty much turned into the Kingdom of Sicily. They used to hold all three cities of it at some point, but shenanigans are still going on. I also like how Parthia teamed up with Hayasdan to tear the Seleucids a new one, while Nabataeans just sliced upwards, instead of somehow going west and taking Alexandreia as I've often observed before. Pritanoi obtained a foothold on the mainland, Lougiones have been outright ousted from their homelands and settled in Gaul to add to the fun.

The most horrifying thing, however, was that New Guys have been eliminated. Who could have managed to accomplish such a terrible feat?!
    Last edited by nvm; December 31, 2017 at 03:18 PM.

Turn 226 Carthage 216 BC VH/VH.

Second Punic War is over. Rome has fallen and the coastline of western Mediterranea is completely under control of Carthage. Ceasefire with stubborn romans has been made and veterans of italian peninsula campaign will be soon sent towards Iberia where Areuakoi has declared war and is sieging 2 cities. Sabellians and oscans who joined on my side to fight against romans shall stay in Italy to maintain order and garrison incase romans feel like betraying our terms of peace.

Turn 292 Carthage 199 BC VH/VH.

For first time ever in MTW 2, i finished campaign until victory screen.

Guess that's the end of that campaign, as with +30k profit per turn things start to get somewhat trivial and i managed to do what i wanted with that campaign.

Turn 43 Boioi 262 BC VH/VH.

Kinda feels like ive won already since i used my main army to take nearby rebel settlements, waited 2-4 turns for each for em to sally out and then went to grab next one. I just couldn't resist to take another after another since they were easy pickings. Now that i grabbed the ones i was after, toggle_fow kinda shows that AI has not really taken any at all (except Lusitania suprise-grabbing Morocco), meaning im basicly superpower surrounded by 1-2 region AI Kingdoms. This has been by far the easiest start ive had on VH/VH, expected it to be hard but had no knowledge beforehand how it would be as first game with "barbarians" in EB2 for me.

Anyways, maybe ill continue, just gonna turn on turtle mode and work on my settlement's infrastructure and have AI time to catch on, many of my settlements only have starting field as they have not yet reached 800 population, so i can't even build anything in em yet.

My Leader is heading with his silver chevron veterans back to capital to retrain em and form core for main army out of em after successful campaign of 9 invaded areas (total 11 now).

Think ill put few screenshots from that campaign on dedicated screenshot topic, as i occasionally put time on 0.1x speed and hid UI and spectated action closely.
    Last edited by Ziltoid; January 10, 2018 at 08:59 PM.

AI is always slow, though Sweboz and Lugiones not even taking one city by this point is something else. Just look at Areuakoi and Parthia for comparsion with their starting position...

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ziltoid View Post
    Turn 43 Boioi 262 BC VH/VH.

Kinda feels like ive won already since i used my main army to take nearby rebel settlements, waited 2-4 turns for each for em to sally out and then went to grab next one. I just couldn't resist to take another after another since they were easy pickings. Now that i grabbed the ones i was after, toggle_fow kinda shows that AI has not really taken any at all (except Lusitania suprise-grabbing Morocco), meaning im basicly superpower surrounded by 1-2 region AI Kingdoms. This has been by far the easiest start ive had on VH/VH, expected it to be hard but had no knowledge beforehand how it would be as first game with "barbarians" in EB2 for me.

Anyways, maybe ill continue, just gonna turn on turtle mode and work on my settlement's infrastructure and have AI time to catch on, many of my settlements only have starting field as they have not yet reached 800 population, so i can't even build anything in em yet.

My Leader is heading with his silver chevron veterans back to capital to retrain em and form core for main army out of em after successful campaign of 9 invaded areas (total 11 now).

Think ill put few screenshots from that campaign on dedicated screenshot topic, as i occasionally put time on 0.1x speed and hid UI and spectated action closely.
    Yeah you blitzed there a bit I think Isnt the Boioi start pretty hard due to great groups of Germanics or Keltoi wandering through your provinces at the beginning ? Havent played them since forever.

Turn 75 - 254 BC: Playing Sweboz.

Pritanoi have finally settled on the mainland, after sitting around for a few turns.
    Rapid Lougiones expansion where they have occupied most key Boioi territory.
    Averni are quickly outpacing the Aedui.

Turn 100 - 248 BC: Sweboz VH/VH

Pontus has expanded further around the Black Sea... and the remaining rebel settlements are becoming few and far between.

Turn 129 - 240 BC: Sweboz VH/VH

Turn 143 Boioi 237 BC VH/VH.

100 turns have passed since last update. Just finished my invasion of Balkans. Got some quest to help my boioi relative tribe against romans, but found out im badly outmatched by em, so i bribed my way to peace and with even bigger pile of minai to alliance, for now.

Last edited by Ziltoid; January 18, 2018 at 07:53 PM.

Turn 100 Kimmerios Bosporos 248 BC VH/VH.

This time i took the early expansion calmer than with Boioi. Though all the rebel scripts and otherwise harsher start also kinda forced me into that. Still once the rough and challenging beginning was behind me around turn 25-30 or so, i decided to expand my territory. Went to siege Histria just to get scripted message it will lead to war with Getai who i just allied. Took then instead 2 settlements to the west (western ukraine and belarus area) and by then already rebels were finished within my borders so i decided to consolidate what i had and build up my cities and wipe out remaining steppe rebels roaming my lands.

Now it's turn 100 and AI has had its beauty nap and is grown big enough for me to perhaps take on some of em. Only 2 bordering options that im not allied with, either Boioi or Hayastan, so it's either west or east, eventually i will wanna go south too, but Getai have stayed loyally allied so it would feel wrong to betray their trust.

Besides that, about AI progression, only 1 faction, Lusitanea has been destroyed. Arche Seleukia has done good job holding on to their lands. Ptolemaoi are in suprisingly bad shape considering how well they usually do. And keltoi are being lazy with taking german area rebel lands as are british with going north in their island. Besides that rebels have been fairly well dealt with.

ps. recommend Kimmerios Bosporos for all who want challenge, the beginning was full of suprises and whenever it looked like i "made it" there came another setback. And the lands aren't rich to give you instantly comfortable start either even once you're done with the most early challenges. Steppe units give refreshing twist too to usual greek roster along with unique Bosphoran Horse Archers and Generals being HA too. Not to forget perhaps my favourite unit, Skuda Azdata, Scythian Nobles that are basicly light cataphract cavalry with their armor stat of 7 total of 18 defence.

Turn 200 Kimmerios Bosporos 223 BC VH/VH.

After turn 100, went for Hayastan in south-west. Took Georgia and wanted peace, but they kept refusing, until i had to conquer one city after another until 1 left, at which point they agreed to ceasefire with 20k minai payment from me. Wish the AI would be slightly more willing to sign peace when they aren't doing too well. Around turn 170ish i noticed Pergamon taking out Getai lands on western coast of Black Sea. Still allied with Getai since beginning of this game so i went to help my allies of course (with no intention to return the liberated cities). Sametime Macedon also resurfaced and Pella was also in hands of Pergamon, so pincered between Getai, Macedon and me, they couldn't really do more than slow down their demise until pushed out back to Anatolia.

Meanwhile on map, Boioi have suprisingly moved to live in eastern iberian coast. And Suebic have gone all the way down to border Rome. KH, Macedon and Epeiros have all reborn and taken back Greece heartlands.

Last edited by Ziltoid; January 29, 2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: turn 200 update added

The Areuakoi always seem to steamroll the Lusitani. All of the Iberian Peninsula even. In my latest Rome game they just accomplished this, took Carthage's island, and conquered 2 territories in southern France. Kinda forced me to preemptively take Massalia so I could secure them as an ally of Rome. And I was right to do that, as just 2 turns after I start sieging it, 2 Areuakoi stacks come really close to the city.

Perhaps they need to be tweaked some? Not sure if they have built mines yet in the numerous silver provinces in the Peninsula or something to allow for this, I only have spies roaming around.

Though it has been a long while since someone last posted in this thread, I feel it's purpose hasn't diminished and thus I would like to provide my own contribution for EB2.35
    Some time ago on the forums I had witnessed a post lamenting how Greece ends up always being divided the entire game without player intervention. Perhaps they would be pleasantly surprised were they witness this, as Greece being divided is something which definitely can not be stated as true in this screenshot.

In addition to that, both Carthage and Epeiros have landed a fullstack on Crete, seemingly competing for who gets the island. I am not entirely sure though if either of them will ever make a first move before their stacks have a chance to rebel. Right now they aren't at war with each other, however one can reasonably sure that it would begin, should one of the sides make the first move towards Crete.

What else I find significant is Parthia having carved a swathe into Seleucid territory. This is not something new for me personally as I had witnessed Seleucids losing a large amount of territory multiple times without my participation, even before their alliances were changed in 2.3, but maybe people who were complaining about nobody wanting to declare war on Seleucids might find this interesting.

pxfofo's Avatar Foederatus

EB 2.35 M/M Turn 201