Thread: How can I make my Rome campaign more difficult?

Icon1 How can I make my Rome campaign more difficult?

I want Carthage to be an extremely formidable foe. I want them to be almost unstoppable, while I also want to be nerfed as much as possible. I want an extremely challenging Rome campaign.

Default Re: How can I make my Rome campaign more difficult?

Are you able / willing to do some EDU CHANGES?
    Then I would start there.
    Lower your bodyguard count and maybe buff some core carthaginian units.

I wouldn't touch your other units. they are pretty weak as they are pre polybian reform.
    except maybe up the upkeep to make your income harder.

further maybe houserules and consolecommands to give carthage a army and money
    Living in the Netherland but am a Frisian the noblest of Germans. NOW playing SAI Julian campaign, http://www.unihorn.nl
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, Isaac Asimov
    F@ck de massa, grijp de Kassa, Bas Hoorn 2009

Set yourself higly in debt using console commands. That will prevent you from recruiting or building so you will only be able to use the troops that you have until that moment.

Never tried but I'm willing to. Where should I get started, if you don't mind

find the export_desc_unit in the map MWT2/mods//ebII/data.

make a backup, open it and mod away!!

google an EDU guide online.

Another simplle tip for any campaign.
    Recruit as little to no hoplites (greek, campanian etruscan).
    they are borderline OP.
    Living in the Netherland but am a Frisian the noblest of Germans. NOW playing SAI Julian campaign, http://www.unihorn.nl
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, Isaac Asimov
    F@ck de massa, grijp de Kassa, Bas Hoorn 2009

You could also restrict yourself to 2 non-bodyguard cavalry units max. Maybe even 1. This way, your bodyguard cavalry would be the right flank while whatever that 1 unit is would be the left flank. Cavalry is extremely impactful in M2TW, so limiting yourself this way would make battles much harder.

You probably know by now, but I'd like to share something that really helped me in this regard. Try to starve out the other factions more when you siege their cities. They often don't respond properly to sieges, but if you give them time to wait rather than attack after one turn, they will usually gather an army to fight you.

Keep only enough troops as city garrisons to keep them from revolting (using cheap skirmish troops), and disband the rest always after a campaign ends, until the Marian reforms. Rome didn't really do standing armies until later and neither should you!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

You guys are all seriously masochistic. LOL. I can understand making things hard generally speaking (I always play on Hard campaign/Hard battle mode), but this is just a strange fetish at this point. Disband all your armies and make yourself entirely broke? Really? At no point during the Punic Wars was Rome entirely bankrupt, that's an absurd notion. And disband all your armies? Seriously? Even if they didn't have what we consider "standing armies" today, they always had allied auxiliary soldiers on stand-by ready to fight per treaties with individual "Socii" allied city-states in Italy and beyond (which could be represented as garrisons waiting in cities).

Roma Victrix's guide to making SPQR versus Carthage as difficult as possible:
    * STEP 1: buy a chastity cage and slip it on, and do not take it off for several months during your Rome campaign, cuz your Carthaginian strapon mistress says you must obey!

* STEP 2: break both of your arms before sitting down at your keyboard to play, because having two functioning arms is just OP and you've gotta NERF yourself physically in your own bedroom before you virtually nuke your entire Roman economy and military in the game.

* STEP 3: wear a plastic bag over your head for at least an entire minute, suffocating yourself nearly to death so that you are completely delirious and barely capable of paying attention while fighting defensive sieges on the battle map against mighty Carthage

* STEP 4: regularly recruit armies in the game, but send them on absurd, ahistorical suicide missions to the middle of Scythia in what is now Russia/Ukraine just so that you're wasting all your money for no good reason while Carthage burns your idiotically undefended cities and countryside to the ground, so that Quintus Fabius Maximus Verrucosus (who invented the "Fabian Strategy" of attrition against Hannibal) rolls around in his grave and curses you for not being historically accurate or even using basic common sense.

* STEP 5: buy a straitjacket and wear it during the game, so that you can't even touch your keyboard as Carthage scratches its head and says "okay then" as it enters the city of Rome unopposed.

Slightly less painful than breaking your arms : play with the general cam and let the AI control your units.

Only take direct control of units immediatly in the vicinity of your general.
    If he dies, just watch the rest of the battle unfold.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Airos View Post
    Slightly less painful than breaking your arms : play with the general cam and let the AI control your units.

Only take direct control of units immediatly in the vicinity of your general.
    If he dies, just watch the rest of the battle unfold.
    Yes, yes, I like it, I like it! That's +1 rep to you, good sir!

Also, the aforementioned Carthaginian strapon mistress commands you to have your hands cuffed behind your back during gameplay, so that you can only hunt and peck on your keyboard by using your nose.