Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: [Submod] Stop Barbarian Empires! (0.0.1)

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: [Submod] Stop Barbarian Empires! (0.0.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Maetharin View Post
    Haha nP, this really isn‘t much, just two DB files edited.
    Nothing compared to what others are doing.
    Though I am surprised how well this works, I think I‘ll be using this again in future playthroughs��
    Is this similar to DAIA but just for barbarian factions ? Ηaven't checked it with PFM yet.

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

I haven‘t checked out DAIA in the PFM, but I doubt it.
    I simply made it impossible for Barbarian factions to occupy.
    As compensation, I have them the possibility to form client states.
    Now, expansion isn’t completely halted, since they can still confederate, but it‘s severely slowed.

In my gameplays with this I was surprised to see complex systems of Celtic confederations and client states when I expanded north as Rome.
    The Averni f.e. had confederated with two other factions, and had become the biggest “state“ in Gaul.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

I haven‘t checked out DAIA in the PFM, but I doubt it.
    I simply made it impossible for Barbarian factions to occupy.
    As compensation, I have them the possibility to form client states.
    Now, expansion isn’t completely halted, since they can still confederate, but it‘s severely slowed.

In my gameplays with this I was surprised to see complex systems of Celtic confederations and client states when I expanded north as Rome.
    The Averni f.e. had confederated with two other factions, and had become the biggest “state“ in Gaul.
    Sounds very interesting, especially the Confederation stuff. Thanks for the info.

As long as there‘s no outside influence, barbarian factions do properly expand in this roundabout way, the only issue with this is the proximity of Massilia. Either they start expanding northwards, or are kept small by one of them tribes.

"I concur!"

​Me

As long as there‘s no outside influence, barbarian factions do properly expand in this roundabout way, the only issue with this is the proximity of Massilia. Either they start expanding northwards, or are kept small by one of them tribes.
    In Vanilla DEI Massilia is annoyingly expanding Northwest most of the time. That really grinds my gears.

@Maetharin

My apologies if this is a stupid question - I'm just looking at the submods forum for the first time - but how would I go about installing this?

I've been playing through my first DEI campaign - as Rome, naturally - and it's 214 BC. Having conquered all of Sicily, West Africa, Corsica and Sardinia, and Iberia, I am faced with a gigantic Germanic kingdom to the north which, from what I can gather, has approximately the borders of the Frankish Empire, minus south-western Gaul and the channel coast. To the east, the (admittedly only semi-Barbarian) Aridae control most of the Balkans. I'm sure this will make for some interesting gameplay down the road, but judging by my war with Carthage - in which we were the best of friends before the war but wouldn't even consider accepting peace before I had almost completely destroyed them - if I ever ended up fighting these giant Barbarian kingdoms, I would have to fight a huge protracted campaign into the strategically useless and tactically painful forests of Northern Europe just to put an end to the fighting.

I'd just like to say that I think your solution to this problem is wonderfully elegant and historically accurate, and will lead to much more engaging and historical Roman campaigns. Decades of total war is what we want against Carthage, but when it comes to fighting the Barbarians, I want to have to deal with the complex mess of alliances, confederations and regional rivalries rather than one or two giant empires.

Should be as easy as putting the file into the data folder in your Rome 2 directory.
    Then you activate it as any other mod in the mod manager.

"I concur!"

​Me

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678