Thread: Problem With Shortcut

Default Problem With Shortcut

Hello,

I downloaded the Beta a ways back and am really looking forward to playing the full release. I'm running into trouble installing though. I've deleated all the old files out of the Mods folder in M2TW folder and all my old downloads and followed the Media Fire path exactly as described extracting all files to the same directory and installing to M2TW main file path. The file installs correctly and puts the shortcut on my desktop. When I click on the shortcut it gives me the following message:

The item 'Rise of the Three Kingdoms Regular.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut?

I'm not certain what the problem is. I know that my Norton anti-virus doesn't seem think the .exe program for both as well as numerous other files from the install are part of a Trojan so maybe it's blocking it that way? I don't really know how to get around this but really would like to figure this out as I'm a huge Three Kingdoms fan and really want to play.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Problem With Shortcut

Several AV programs have been deleting the exe startup files. I believe we solved the issue with the first patch, it should install a new short cut. Simply delete the old short cuts and use the new one.

Hello. I'm also currently having a problem like this. I downloaded the patch but i can't seem to start the game. Whenever i click the Shortcut icon it leaves me a message of "Windows cannot find 'kingdoms.exe'. Make sure you have typed the name correctly, then try again".

Any help would be much appreciated.

Blog Entries

You may have installed the patch into the wrong directory. The target directory has to be the main directory of Medieval II Total War.

Re-install the patch again and make sure it points to the correct directory.

I did that many times to no avail and i'm sure i'm on the right directory. My Anti-virus also seems always delete Rise of the three kingdoms regular whenever i run it, so i decided to disable my AV, Install the whole mod again and the patches the results are the same. It's still giving me that error.

Blog Entries

The AV issue is the reason why we issued the patch. I am however not clear why the short cut from the patch does not work. The error message points to a wrong location. Please do not disable your AV.
    To trace where the new short cut leads simply right click the short cut and choose 'open file location'
    If you have correctly installed then you should be in the medieval ii total war\mods\three-kingdoms folder

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    To trace where the new short cut leads simply right click the short cut and choose 'open file location'
    If you have correctly installed then you should be in the medieval ii total war\mods\three-kingdoms folder
    I did that and it's truly on the right directory. Here is a screen shot:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

May i ask is the kingdoms.exe come from the mod itself?

Blog Entries

The kingdoms.exe is the game's executable and should be in the medieval ii total war directory
    It will only be there if you have installed at least one of the kingdoms expansions
    Please check for it's presence in that directory

Ah, so i have to buy the kindoms expansion? I only have the regular medieval 2 total war.

Blog Entries

Yes, you will have to buy the extension - most mods are build on that version.

Awesome... Thanks for the response Gigantus. The patch worked flawlessly. Also, congrats to you and the team on this release. I can't tell you how excited I am about it. I'm a huge Three Kingdoms fan and the amount of work you guys put into making this is evident and it has turned out great.