Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: General impressions

Default Re: General impressions

Everything has gone smooth for me. Aside from a crash when looking through the factions, everything's perfect. The crash only happened the one time and hasn't happened again, so no problem for me.

Question though: how many units do the Pritanoi have? I started a campaign to check them out but there don't seem to be any barracks, archery range etc. buildings. Is the initial roster everything they have as far as recruitment?

Excellent mod though, the work on it clearly shows. Best looking units of any Medieval 2 mod I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by abou View Post
    Many reform units are planned, but we developed units on a chronological basis. To do the Marian units would have left another faction with none. We just don't have the manpower.

Command stars mostly affect auto-calc battles. We rely on traits to give morale boosts.
    That makes sense. Thanks

Faravid's Avatar Libertus

Seems highly solid, wouldn't know that it's a mod if I didn't know it already.

Played an hour or so as Sarmatia, saw nothing out of the ordinary.
    Gonna spend quite a few hours on this thing!

As others have said, EB2 is pretty much what Rome 2 should have been.
    Last edited by Faravid; August 26, 2014 at 03:19 AM.

Pretty overwhelmed here, will report back later!

This may be a dumb question but I was looking around in the custom battles for units and notice some of the roman units have 30 for charge bonus like the cataphracts and then you got Gaisatoi with just 4 and seem to have pretty weak stats and cost compared to what you say in their description that they were expensive. Also is there plans to expand heavily on all the factions units? As alot of factions seem to have the same units as one another, but I I understand it's an early release and all.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    I am sorry, as Seleukids you cannot, instead hypaspists are your elite infantry unit. The two are actually very similar. The starting unit of Macedonian Peltasts should have been changed for hypaspists too, it makes it a bit confusing to have them but being unable to recruit them, I agree.
    This will change in the future releases? Or is it intended that you can´t recruit them?

I need to fix my PC soon, as I want badly to start EB II

I've spent about an hour now playing the game and it looks amazing! I'm almost afraid to go back and look again now that the mushrooms have worn off but I'm sure it will still look great.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    Edit: Another key point. Ancient warfare was - for the most part - the province of large infantry formations coming to grips, with one wresting victory from the other. Cavalry and missile troops had a role, but (horse archers aside), it was usually supportive. That was not true in EB1. You could have large numbers of archers and slingers who would decimate the enemy infantry, often to the point that lesser units could beat elites. That is not true in EB2. Missile units in particular are far less effective - they still have value, but it's more akin to their historical role. Harass the enemy, get them to chase, disrupt the formation, hit from behind, etc. Some of you will like this, others will hate it, but I encourage you to take a deep breath and learn this new way of waging war. Which is also the oldest.

I think you my have gone too overboard with nerfing missiles.

I had a skirmisher unit with full ammo go right up close behind an unarmoured enemy long bow unit (like 10m away) and use all their ammo (170 x however much ammo they had) and they only did 50 kills... how can skirmishers from close range do so few kills? it is neither realistic or historically accurate. I appreciate the point you make, but I believe you guys have gone to far with it, missile units now have 0 chance of having much of an effect. Id seriously suggest you revist the effectiveness of missile units so that they are realistic cos atm it is completely ahistorical.

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    A general comment about "battles taking too long". And seriously, I'm going to use strong language, but it's only to make a point. And there's no implications pointed toward those who have broached the issue so far. It's a new game, and you guys just haven't figured it out yet. So we're cool. Now.....

If you think you are just going to charge ahead, line on line, and have it end quickly....well, it won't. There is a discipline called tactics, and people are well advised to learn and use them. Flank attacks can win the battle, but it's not as simple as in EB1 where you just marched a few guys unopposed around the end and hit a few units in the rear and started to roll up the line. The AI is smart enough - usually - to keep some units in reserve and those guys will flank YOUR flankers if you aren't paying attention.

So if the extent of your tactics is "line on line" or "try to flank and fail", well, you suck as a general and will experience painfully long battles. OR....try something different. Ever hear of Cannae? Keep several units in the center of the line well back and have a few hardy units advanced on the wings and a unit or two behind them. When the AI hits the center, send your side reserves right into their flanks. The AI cannot respond in the usual way, and you will probably decimate them. And that's just one idea. The key is to think about ways to gain temporary advantages in small areas and build on those to rout the enemy.

Now city sieges - especially battles in the city SQUARE......well yeah those are ugly. It's the epitome of "line on line". But even here, you have options. Send every unit racing down one street into the center, and battle there? D.U.M.B. Stay down at your end of the street and pelt them with sling stones until they come down, and you can fight one or two at your end of the street. Meanwhile have other units circle around to the other streets. Look for the places you can get the tactical advantages and attack. If you have two heavy infantry, and he has one at that end of the square, have your one engage his and forceclick your second to race past, and then down the first street to take that enemy force in the rear - routing them in seconds instead of what would probably be 5-10 minutes

The key is not to send your mass charging at his mass and then come into this forum and whine about how battles take too long. If you aren't willing to learn or use tactics, then just autoresolve and spare yourself the agony of your own incompetence as a general. No offense.

Edit: Another key point. Ancient warfare was - for the most part - the province of large infantry formations coming to grips, with one wresting victory from the other. Cavalry and missile troops had a role, but (horse archers aside), it was usually supportive. That was not true in EB1. You could have large numbers of archers and slingers who would decimate the enemy infantry, often to the point that lesser units could beat elites. That is not true in EB2. Missile units in particular are far less effective - they still have value, but it's more akin to their historical role. Harass the enemy, get them to chase, disrupt the formation, hit from behind, etc. Some of you will like this, others will hate it, but I encourage you to take a deep breath and learn this new way of waging war. Which is also the oldest.
    noone is saying battles should end quickly. i think thats part of why were all here, the epic, long, battles of europa barbarorum.
    but it does feel a bit like everything on the battlefield happens in slow motion, from the soldiers running to them actually killing something. and yes, i know how to flank properly and how to exploit tw ai while taking a city.
    i'm not sure how i feel about the battle pace yet, so i didnt "complain", i just find it ...interesting that your reply to (respectful) comments about the killrates is "l2p". its not about charging all your men in and being surprised the enemy doesnt rout quickly. its about doing the proper thing, getting the flank of, splitting them up in the city, sourrounding one of their units with superior units, and still watching them die at a rate thats hard to take if you dont speed it up.
    people arent posting things here to make you guys feel bad. and its not like people are going "omg so slow speed it up guise you suck". i think pretty much everyone loves what you did. and i think killrates *might* need an adjustment for some. ive only played battles with crap troops yet, but i can only imagine a turn in endgame, with proper troops with decent morale, with several hug battles, will take days to play out at these killrates.

Antonius's Avatar Decanus
    Europe - Britain, Austria, Italy, Belgium....

Quote Originally Posted by Magnar View Post
    I think you my have gone too overboard with nerfing missiles.

I had a skirmisher unit with full ammo go right up close behind an unarmoured enemy long bow unit (like 10m away) and use all their ammo (170 x however much ammo they had) and they only did 50 kills... how can skirmishers from close range do so few kills? it is neither realistic or historically accurate. I appreciate the point you make, but I believe you guys have gone to far with it, missile units now have 0 chance of having much of an effect. Id seriously suggest you revist the effectiveness of missile units so that they are realistic cos atm it is completely ahistorical.
    I second this.

Everything else is wonderfully awesome
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.
    ~Alfred Adler

I got so used to the clone units in EB that this is currently just mindblowing for me atm... Even tho the graphics are outdated it kinda feels "real". Awesome job so far

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Antonius View Post

Everything else is wonderfully awesome

I agree with this also (except morale)

Here is my general impression of your great mod.

First, I want to say that it is not an easy task to give it a fair critic. I only played several hours and with two factions, and the first one was brief (Numids).

So, I started a campain with Pahlava, my love.

I had a ctd on the faction choice, showing all the factions to a friend. But I know it happens on every mods when staying tool long on this screen. I restarted (Oh, my, your art graphic is great !) and started Pahlava.

Where it is difficult to judge is here : you understand that we all have great enthousiasm about this mod because we love it. But we don't look for something "new", we are looking for a great mod, a great EB. And this EB suits well. I was, in the deepness of my hart, expecting a little "explosion", an little "WAW THIS IS MADNESS !" but this is not madness, this is EB.
    So, when I started the campain, I was a little surprised to feel like a "déjà vu". The map has not changed much in regard of an end user (even if when I watch technically, your work is great !) the settlement representations are great but very discrete (that's the point !), the units walk normally on the map, animations are "normal"...
    You almost expect to click on the left down corner and you are almost disappointed that there is no more any script activator there.

So IMHO that's why this mod is fantastic : it just makes me feel (maybe I am the only one here...) like going back to EBI, with everything I know, every habits, every details. Just new. Just stable (yes, for now, no CTD at all in campain or in battle ! I forced myself to leave quickly the battle just after it finished... Oh my God if feels GOOOOOD !!!). Just a little more good looking but not too much, because EB1 was quite a difficult match, and almost all the great work you did was on precision and on details, so the overhall looks perfect but not spectacular.

Like a perfect wine, aged perfectly, without a flaw. It's appearance is as it should be. In glass, it is astonishingly balanced. In mouth, it is not to impetuous, it is balanced, it is a little bit of fruity, a little bit of spicy, and gives a feeling of rarity and detail.

And in it's finish, it gives you a brand new experience that you always wanted but never had in any other wine.

It has got character, it has got complexity, it has got potential...

And this EBII, it is an exceptional vintage.

It doesn't blow your mind like a mediocre alcool, it doesn't taste simple and sweet like a simple lemonade. It gives you what you were expecting of it, and so much more.

I don't regret any of the years of waiting.

I thank you deeply.

I like the Mod very well, everything is fine for me as a Roman Fan. But i need some helpfull advise from other honorable Roman Players here.....

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Sounds like a good idea for me that colonist are ready to dispatch and join the Roman Way of life. But what shouldt i do now?

First of all, I'm very very glad this came out, thanks to all of the team for the years of work that went into this.

I am generally a little awed and overwhelmed, trying to document myself on the buildings and things before acting (maybe a bit to much, lol)
    I really appreciate the scope of the mod and the research put into it.

I have experienced some CTD though, without even start a battle or takiing a turn.

I have had three types:
    1 - Campaign screen ones, selecting factions, already reported.
    2 - Explorating the building cards, I feel quite randomly but I cannot be sure.
    3 - Explorating the building cards, I crash to desktop if I open a unit card from the building descriptions and subsequentely I close it with the "v" button in the lower right corner.

I will now try do some battle and a turn, before starting despairing and complaining with the unjustness of the world...

Cheers, and thanks again for producing the mod.

Would love to play it, but it currently appeears to be running at 5fps

There are way too many animated trees in central europe. My strat map goes choppy there, despite the fact I can run M2TW smoothly on max details otherwise.

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Shokifer View Post
    Would love to play it, but it currently appeears to be running at 5fps
    Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    There are way too many animated trees in central europe. My strat map goes choppy there, despite the fact I can run M2TW smoothly on max details otherwise.
    Go to the graphics settings and choose disable campaign map shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by alin View Post
    Go to the graphics settings and choose disable campaign map shadows.

I should probably have explained better: the framerate only tanks when I move around the map or a loading screen ends. Still pretty debilitating.

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Shokifer View Post
    I should probably have explained better: the framerate only tanks when I move around the map or a loading screen ends. Still pretty debilitating.
    And I still suggest choosing that.