Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: General impressions

Default Re: General impressions

Cant process_cq Tarentum (Taras) anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Also, I'm encountering a regular CTD. When I alttab from game and back, then later open a large unit card on strategy map and close it. CTD without error message. Nasty thing since I have a bad habit of alttabbing in and out of game AND reading unit descriptions.
    This is an MTW2 problem, but our use of more memory increases it. Use windowed mode and you no longer will experience problems with this.

Chris P. Bacon's Avatar Semisalis

1. Will the circle button on the right of the battle UI that highlights all of the troops be added or was it a dev decision to remove it?

2. Will cavalry charges be made more effective? They are bugged at the moment and when they do work they got 5-10 kills max.

3. Hoplite vs hoplite battle remind me of Rome II in the early days, literally it becomes a huge blob. Also both cav and infantry suffer from the MTWII glitch of 3/4 of the unit shuffling away from combat while 10 or so guys actually fight.

4. Kill rates are honestly stupidly slow. Playing as Saba I have two of my bodyguard infantry w/ 10 attack completely surrounding an citizen militia and they got about 1-2 kills every 10 secs WITH 6X speed. And when they have hundreds of troops on the town square I could go read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica by the time the battle ends. It makes me shudder to think if I have a CTD right after one of those battles.

I finally got it to run by playing games with an old cd-rom.

Initial appearance is very favorable. Obviously needs a lot of work to clean up the text issues. Lots of "shared txt" messages floating on the screen and stuff like that. Minor but time consuming to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon View Post
    2. Will cavalry charges be made more effective? They are bugged at the moment and when they do work they got 5-10 kills max.
    This sounds about right though.

Quote Originally Posted by bob01 View Post
    I finally got it to run by playing games with an old cd-rom.

Initial appearance is very favorable. Obviously needs a lot of work to clean up the text issues. Lots of "shared txt" messages floating on the screen and stuff like that. Minor but time consuming to fix.
    This looks likes an error because of installation.
    You can find how to fix it here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14048457

I'll give it a shot. Thank you.

Worked perfectly.

That fix should definitely go into the first patch. BTW, I had no problem with the install. Clicked the app and off it went doing its thing.

What is the time frame on this one? I am asking because in custom battles Rome doesn't have any post Marian cohorts.

It seems like morale is low and generals don't advance in the command skill. I fought like 9 battles with one general (many of which were quite large) and he didn't increase in skill at all . Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by bob01 View Post
    Worked perfectly.

That fix should definitely go into the first patch. BTW, I had no problem with the install. Clicked the app and off it went doing its thing.
    For some people this error just happens after installing, while for most it doesn't. Probably something to do with windows restrictions in program files or Java.

What is the time frame on this one? I am asking because in custom battles Rome doesn't have any post Marian cohorts.
    Marian Cohorts will be added in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Majasprat View Post

It seems like morale is low and generals don't advance in the command skill. I fought like 9 battles with one general (many of which were quite large) and he didn't increase in skill at all . Thanks guys!
    Many reform units are planned, but we developed units on a chronological basis. To do the Marian units would have left another faction with none. We just don't have the manpower.

Command stars mostly affect auto-calc battles. We rely on traits to give morale boosts.

first few observation.

everything looks amazing!!! had no issues installing and launching the game at all. started off as Pritanoi, just a curious lookaround. oh boy, does that battle map look brilliant or what?! great vegataion, the trees look stunning (and i didnt install Alin' graphic mod)! breathtaking! and the units! absolutely loved the unit cards, as well as their battle map looks! strat map also looks beautiful! loved building icons and the UI, characters and agents strat model. winter map looks great too! everythings fantastic! there are new soundtracks i hear, very enjoyable indeed. all these combine and you get immersed straight away.

played for a copule of turns and noticed a few minor issues. British heavy cavalry needs to be moved up front a notch in their saddles. tribesmen seemed to have had stones in their hand at first (instead of the javelins which appeared later). not sure if thats intended. the starting menu text is somewhat blurry (or is it just me?). also noticed that many factions' starting position arent correctly represented on faction selection screens yet, which still seem to show EB1 starting positions.

in terms of performance, it runs very smoothly. my PC is 7 years old: Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 2.4 GHz, 4 gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti, 64 bit W7. the loading screens took under 10 seconds. ditto for AI turns. and I ran everything on High.

so the mod is amazingly immesrive and good looking! this doesnt come at th expense of the performance though. it is a worthy heir to its predecessor indeed. it is surpassing it already, imho.

many thanks to all involved!

i simply love it.

I had a heck of a time getting it installed as I had the steam version, uninstalled it, and then TRIED to install retail which was a nightmare thanks to leftover registry entries.

The fighting between units is a little non eventful. A lot of units stand completely still while 2 or 3 actually fight.

Quote Originally Posted by monkian View Post
    Great so far, no campaign crashes but crashed when browsing through factions.

Sometimes hard to read in places when playing as Rome

Is there a guide anywhere to playing as Rome ? What buildings am I supposed to destroy then build to stop Tara rebelling after capturing ?
    Any1 and everyone having the crash when looking at factions in the campaign menu this is 95% chance dude to a bug with M2TW not the mod. If you run custom battles and then go to campaign it happens almost all the time. It happens as well the other way around but not nearly as often. All I can tell you is that if you are going to change any settings (video, unit size, Audio and key bindings do so then exit the game. this will allow the settings to save so if you crash it wont ever be a problem.

PS. gota give it up to whoever made the instaler. Not that doing the extra stuff to run mods with steam is to much work but this was fantastically nice to not have to do.

angus young's Avatar Ordinarius
    Villefranche de rouergue France in the south

Well... "Et Dieu créa EB 2" ! My english is sadly to bad to exprim all my happiness ! You re mod is GREAAAAAAAATTT ! We where waiting for many years, and WAOUHHHHOUUUU you made the best mod ever ! Graphisms are fantastics, IA is the best i never see on M2TW, the immersion is impressive, the music is good too...

So... Thank you so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mementomoridc View Post
    Any1 and everyone having the crash when looking at factions in the campaign menu this is 95% chance dude to a bug with M2TW not the mod. If you run custom battles and then go to campaign it happens almost all the time. It happens as well the other way around but not nearly as often. All I can tell you is that if you are going to change any settings (video, unit size, Audio and key bindings do so then exit the game. this will allow the settings to save so if you crash it wont ever be a problem.

PS. gota give it up to whoever made the instaler. Not that doing the extra stuff to run mods with steam is to much work but this was fantastically nice to not have to do.
    Both of these are know M2TW issues (not EB2):
    - Going from Campaign to Custom (or vice versa) without actually launching a campaign or a custom battle will CTD, every time.
    - Clicking 20 or so faction icons in a row (forget the exact number) will cause a CTD.

bovi made the installer with a lot of testing and input from the entire team to address all those little issues. And yes, a nice job he did, too.
    EBII Council

Laetus

Runs very smooth for my 5 year old computer with 4 gb ram and 2.4 processor speed dual core. Had only on ctd first time running when trying to adjust screen resolution to fit my screen. Only played 45 minutes or so and ran through approx 5 turns with Bosporus, captured a city with a city battle and the battles run a bit longer than EB1, I like it because if you want to finish faster you can always go to 2x or 6x speed. Graphics were different than EB1 but was a nice change, most negatives that I can think of are mostly to do with MTW2 engine and really nothing to do with EB2. Overall a great beta release, and remember this is still a beta, it will only get better. Great job EB2 Team, have nothing but good things to say so far. Look forward to the weekend where I can spend a good 6 to 12 hours of play time and will have a more in depth analysis after that.

Antigenes's Avatar Biarchus

The game runs extremely smoothly even on very high graphics settings. The history is very good, the stability is similarly good, and the units look gorgeous.

My sole playthrough was unceremoniously aborted because a) my FMs weren't making babies which meant that b) there weren't enough of them to withstand a massive wave of Ptolemaioi assassins that slaughtered everybody. Never had any Total War run end because of assassinations before. Illuminating.

Were assassins buffed for this game or did I just have extraordinarily bad luck? I don't remember them being quite so successful in vanilla...
    Let them eat cock!

Excellent, can't wait for reforms.

A general comment about "battles taking too long". And seriously, I'm going to use strong language, but it's only to make a point. And there's no implications pointed toward those who have broached the issue so far. It's a new game, and you guys just haven't figured it out yet. So we're cool. Now.....

If you think you are just going to charge ahead, line on line, and have it end quickly....well, it won't. There is a discipline called tactics, and people are well advised to learn and use them. Flank attacks can win the battle, but it's not as simple as in EB1 where you just marched a few guys unopposed around the end and hit a few units in the rear and started to roll up the line. The AI is smart enough - usually - to keep some units in reserve and those guys will flank YOUR flankers if you aren't paying attention.

So if the extent of your tactics is "line on line" or "try to flank and fail", well, you suck as a general and will experience painfully long battles. OR....try something different. Ever hear of Cannae? Keep several units in the center of the line well back and have a few hardy units advanced on the wings and a unit or two behind them. When the AI hits the center, send your side reserves right into their flanks. The AI cannot respond in the usual way, and you will probably decimate them. And that's just one idea. The key is to think about ways to gain temporary advantages in small areas and build on those to rout the enemy.

Now city sieges - especially battles in the city SQUARE......well yeah those are ugly. It's the epitome of "line on line". But even here, you have options. Send every unit racing down one street into the center, and battle there? D.U.M.B. Stay down at your end of the street and pelt them with sling stones until they come down, and you can fight one or two at your end of the street. Meanwhile have other units circle around to the other streets. Look for the places you can get the tactical advantages and attack. If you have two heavy infantry, and he has one at that end of the square, have your one engage his and forceclick your second to race past, and then down the first street to take that enemy force in the rear - routing them in seconds instead of what would probably be 5-10 minutes

The key is not to send your mass charging at his mass and then come into this forum and whine about how battles take too long. If you aren't willing to learn or use tactics, then just autoresolve and spare yourself the agony of your own incompetence as a general. No offense.

Edit: Another key point. Ancient warfare was - for the most part - the province of large infantry formations coming to grips, with one wresting victory from the other. Cavalry and missile troops had a role, but (horse archers aside), it was usually supportive. That was not true in EB1. You could have large numbers of archers and slingers who would decimate the enemy infantry, often to the point that lesser units could beat elites. That is not true in EB2. Missile units in particular are far less effective - they still have value, but it's more akin to their historical role. Harass the enemy, get them to chase, disrupt the formation, hit from behind, etc. Some of you will like this, others will hate it, but I encourage you to take a deep breath and learn this new way of waging war. Which is also the oldest.
    Last edited by Kull; August 26, 2014 at 12:50 AM.
    EBII Council