Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: General impressions

Default Re: General impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    The battle turned to be the easiest heroic victory in my history of TW gaming, because for some reason, AI troops had virtually no morale.
    It happens from time to time. If you see a pattern, let us know. Better yet, repeat the battle without your general. Might be that he had really high stats that started the domino effect.

Also, what exactly means this advisor's message and what can I do with it?
    Attachment 312749
    It means what it says - you need to do something with colonists. Read the whole message. And then go through the list of buildings that you can construct. One of them has something to do with colonists. This is not an easy game - it's important that you read through the building descriptions so you know what they all do. Don't be in a hurry. Take your time and savor the experience.
    EBII Council

* Installed onto completely fresh version of "retail" M2TW:K, downloaded from GamersGate.
    * Windows 7
    * Install experience: everything went smoothly.
    * Initially had the same issue starting the game as Campylobacter in the Launcher/String/CTD thread. Alin's hotfix solved it.
    * Changed the video settings to crank almost everything up to the maximum, since my computer can handle it. Other than that, everything is default. (I can list the graphics setting if it would help!)
    * The year was there the entire time, I didn't do anything to make it appear. The season indicator is also there and works fine.
    * Playing as Carthage, if it might be a factional UI issue I can try out other factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Also, I'm encountering a regular CTD. When I alttab from game and back, then later open a large unit card on strategy map and close it. CTD without error message. Nasty thing since I have a bad habit of alttabbing in and out of game AND reading unit descriptions.
    One reason the devs play in window mode is exactly this. M2TW can be very unstable when using alt-tab. If you need to use your computer system for anything else while playing, use windowed mode. Otherwise it will crash and crash and crash again. Mine does this every time.
    EBII Council

Quote Originally Posted by The Ferret View Post
    * Playing as Carthage, if it might be a factional UI issue I can try out other factions.
    Try Arverni real quick, please.
    EBII Council

I tried Arverni, KH, Saka Rauka, and Roma to get a variety of cultures (and because I wanted to check out the beautiful UIs!) - all had the season and year displayed correctly.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

I think the combat system needs some serious re-balancing. Had a battle where even levy spears fought to 85% casualties and the general unit fought till after the general had died and the last man fought to the death, that last man lasted a few minutes surrounded by my own general unit.

UI look great as do the units and a lot of other areas as well.

Overall well done guys.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ferret View Post
    I tried Arverni, KH, Saka Rauka, and Roma to get a variety of cultures (and because I wanted to check out the beautiful UIs!) - all had the season and year displayed correctly.
    Excellent - it's not related to a particular culture- that's helpful.
    EBII Council

Could it be a steam thing, then? I have a steam windows 7 install, and the year and season is not visible for any culture.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Iaius Statius Laurentius View Post
    Could it be a steam thing, then? I have a steam windows 7 install, and the year and season is not visible for any culture.
    I'm using a non-steam version and year and season does not work for me with any culture.

Biarchus
    Blog Entries

Already tried out and it is good. We can see there's still alot to do before it can be a full version, but i believe in you guys.

One thing i didn't like tough, the battles take to long. Maybe you guys put alot of health points in the characters because it takes a long time to finish even a skirmish battle.

Really easy to download and install, I used the steam version, I did not have to do anything other then click next. The game runs really smooth and looks great. Not had much time yet, First impressions are awesome, Everything was just so easy. from download to install to starting the game up.
    ''When you are the anvil, be patient. When you are the hammer, strike''-Arabian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by The Wise Coffin View Post
    Already tried out and it is good. We can see there's still alot to do before it can be a full version, but i believe in you guys.

One thing i didn't like tough, the battles take to long. Maybe you guys put alot of health points in the characters because it takes a long time to finish even a skirmish battle.
    They can. Or with good tactics....they'll end a lot faster. Battles in the city square are a problem, but everything else is really up to you. If you play for a meat grinder, you'll get a meat grinder.
    EBII Council

Arx's Avatar Laetus

This isn't Rome 2, where units of 150 rout after losing 2 people. Probably more of a morale thing than health.

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    One reason the devs play in window mode is exactly this. M2TW can be very unstable when using alt-tab. If you need to use your computer system for anything else while playing, use windowed mode. Otherwise it will crash and crash and crash again. Mine does this every time.
    Mine did with EB (but was otherwise stable, just didn't like Alt-Tab); is that a suggestion I should do the same for EBII? I'm running 64-bit Win7.

Chris P. Bacon's Avatar Semisalis

Works fine for me, but one complaint I have is that in custom battles where you pick your units the blue background make it difficult to read the unit stats.

Playing as Rome I like it so far battles do seem to take to long but I have read what you stated earlier concerning tactics. I will try to play differently. There is so much to get a grasp on wow just a tad overwhelming in a good way though I think. I have windows 7 64 bit no problems with installation it all went smooth off of MOD DB. Thanks again.

Battles certainly take a very long time, I also found the only quick way to kill these extremely hardy saka archers was to walk through them rather than fight them by right clicking

Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius

Initial impressions:

Install. Smooth as silk. No issues. Game loads up and starts up fine. Played for an hour or so as Rome, no problems, no crashes.

Game:
    I like some of the changes. I like the way it's not all MICs now. I like what I've seen, so far, on the cultural absorption gizmos.

Changes I wish had happened:
    Bored? How the living hell can my fm and generals be getting bored? When they have nothing else to do, they can go torment people for their own pleasure!
    Maybe if I have one slow boiled in oil at the next family gathering, and then force fed to all the other fm and generals, maybe they'll knock that weak sniveling crap off.

Forced marching makes my poor 'ittle sensitive generals all gloomy. How special. In a world where everyone walks to work, they have a horse to ride, and they still whine like children. Should flay 'em all and go hire some street urchins to take their places.
    At least they'd whine less.

On moving into non faction territory:
    Roman army, with faction leader, southern border of Capua province, spring.
    That was the start of the offensive against Region.

2 frackin' years of marching. My generals could have thrown an elephant, unassisted, farther than they were able to march in an entire turn.
    2 frackin' years and that army was still not to Region. Had to evacuate them by boat after they'd made it only approx 2/3s of the way. They were starving. The mouse over said that could be remedied by pillaging the "tile" they were on, but could not find any way to do that pillaging thing. Oh well.
    But seriously, more than two years to march from the border with Capua to Region?

Question: do the rebel villages have anything to do with that? I didn't take the one just south of the Capua border on my way to Region.
    How do you pillage?

Next issue...

The recovery from that disasterous attempt at Region.
    Parked the army and it's general in the village south of Capua, but still in Capua province.
    Rationing.
    1 year later. Still Rationing.
    Had to put the general in the actual city to stop that nonsense. So, is that now required? Actually have to put the general in the city, rather than just withing friendly territory?

Also, couldn't make temporary forts along the march. Only watch towers in friendly lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    Also, couldn't make temporary forts along the march. Only watch towers in friendly lands.
    The game only allows either buildable forts or permanent forts. We chose option 2. A quick fanmod can be made for those who prefer option 1.

Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    The game only allows either buildable forts or permanent forts. We chose option 2. A quick fanmod can be made for those who prefer option 1.
    Good to know. Probably should have read about that somewhere else. Wasn't complaining on that issue, btw. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't over looking something.