Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: General impressions

Default Re: General impressions

Quote Originally Posted by monkian View Post
    Great so far, no campaign crashes but crashed when browsing through factions.

Sometimes hard to read in places when playing as Rome

Is there a guide anywhere to playing as Rome ? What buildings am I supposed to destroy then build to stop Tara rebelling after capturing ?
    Go hunt around for the Rome playtest AAR that was published a few months back, that's about the best you'll get.

As for rebelling, they are Greek, you are not. They are very unhappy at foreign rule. Don't think of this as a game where you have to destroy a building or something and people magically love you. Does your leader have good skills to damp down unrest? Is the garrison large enough? Did you read the descriptions of the different govt choices? (the only things you can build). If you aren't sure which one, go to the building browser and see which ones are next in the sequence and what they offer (or don't). This is not a game, my friend. The Senate and People of Rome have tasked you with a mission and claiming ignorance won't slow your fall from the Tarpeian Rock...should you fail.
    EBII Council

I haven't encountered any bugs so far, it feels very solid. Even the main menu loaded up really quick which was a pleasant surprise :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    Go hunt around for the Rome playtest AAR that was published a few months back, that's about the best you'll get.

As for rebelling, they are Greek, you are not. They are very unhappy at foreign rule. Don't think of this as a game where you have to destroy a building or something and people magically love you. Does your leader have good skills to damp down unrest? Is the garrison large enough? Did you read the descriptions of the different govt choices? (the only things you can build). If you aren't sure which one, go to the building browser and see which ones are next in the sequence and what they offer (or don't). This is not a game, my friend. The Senate and People of Rome have tasked you with a mission and claiming ignorance won't slow your fall from the Tarpeian Rock...should you fail.
    Ta. By destroying buildings I was referring to the gov system of EB1 where you HAD to destroy specific buildings in order to create new governments ?
    Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage

I also have an empty space instead of the year

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

It feels good to finally be able to play it. Very stable, no endturn ctds. As a first playable beta, this feels like a very firm foundation to keep building and adding to. You did well EB2 team, you did very well.

I haven't played enough battles to comment on the units stats yet, but I will post that later. The one thing I'm wondering at the moment is if there is possibility to widen the area where you read descriptions for units/buildings and the traits for characters? I found it a little to narrow for my tastes, and some sentences where cut in half in the bottom, at least on the after battle screen. I'm not sure though, might it be a resolution problem on my side?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to
    (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.

I've started Pergamon campaign on M/M (I'm casual gamer and kinda new to EB anyway, so I have no idea what to build).

Right away, I packed all my troops barring garrisson for a strike against Nikaia. Predictably, AI sallied forth.

The battle turned to be the easiest heroic victory in my history of TW gaming, because for some reason, AI troops had virtually no morale. AI Classical Hoplites charged my own, identical hoplites and within seconds broke and ran home. A charge of my Xystophoroi into exposed archer flank sent their whole flank of archers and skirmishers running. Several units that tried to envelope my other flank fought for a while, but single charge of general's bodyguards sent them running. Even one unit of hoplites that AI, as usual, sent after my general who was positioned at flank, all I needed to do was to actually charge them with said general from front and they broke. The only unit that did resist was general's Hetairoi, who resisted till the bitter end.

Result, see for yourself.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0008.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	538.2 KB 
ID:	312748

Also, what exactly means this advisor's message and what can I do with it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0009.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	641.5 KB 
ID:	312749

Very great first impressions who somehow managed to beat my already high expectations!!

Crashed a couple of times when going through the faction list, not related to any faction though (tested it), just a random crash it seems. Though yes from my 2 custom battles (and that is no real test i guess) i had the feeling morale is a bit low for the ai. Gotta test it better.

Found 1 bug though, i cannot see the year on the left in the Campaign UI. The place where it is supposed to be is there, but no dates. I saw some screenshots earlier which had 272 in the exact same spot so im not looking in the wrong place. Did 10 turns to change the year twice and nothing changed.

1 Question is epeiros supposed to have no voices in the campaign map for this release?

Thank you! Loving it already!
    Last edited by Wulfburk; August 25, 2014 at 05:33 PM.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    Very great first impressions who somehow managed to beat my already high expectations!!

Crashed a couple of times when going through the faction list, not related to any faction though (tested it), just a random crash it seems. Though yes from my 2 custom battles (and that is no real test i guess) i had the feeling morale is a bit low for the ai. Gotta test it better.

Found 1 bug though, i cannot see the year on the left in the Campaign UI. The place where it is supposed to be is there, but no dates. I saw some screenshots earlier which had 272 in the exact same spot so im not looking in the wrong place. Did 10 turns to change the year twice and nothing changed. 1 Question is epeiros supposed to have no voices in the campaign map?

Thank you! Loving it already!
    It might be related to the fact that Faction Summary window states year as -272. Negative number probablycause this issue. I have it too.

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    It's a known M2TW bug, the only fix is to remove the faction pictures.

Miles

Didn't the Broken Crescent team manage to avoid this bug?

Turn times are so fast

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Campylobacter jejuni View Post
    I have no clue.

By the way, who did the voice acting for hellenic factions? It's good, just...well, units are sometimes a bit TOO talkative. Going on a five second tirade after recieving a simple move order, and general's "So-ma-to-phy-la-kes stra-tae-go-U!" can sometimes be hilarious.

Also, I'm encountering a regular CTD. When I alttab from game and back, then later open a large unit card on strategy map and close it. CTD without error message. Nasty thing since I have a bad habit of alttabbing in and out of game AND reading unit descriptions.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Campylobacter jejuni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alin View Post
    It's a known M2TW bug, the only fix is to remove the faction pictures.
    DLV team fixed that issue for sure...
    You could contact them for any help...

Cheers...

Senator

Just started a sweboz campaign and got a really nice new soundtrack,it was a bit more relaxing that the ones from EB1 .
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Quote Originally Posted by monkian View Post
    Ta. By destroying buildings I was referring to the gov system of EB1 where you HAD to destroy specific buildings in order to create new governments ?
    Not any more. They disappear when you take control.
    EBII Council

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Wallyer View Post
    I also have an empty space instead of the year
    So do we all - don't know why yet. It's in the Installer, not the developers build. Will hunt.
    EBII Council

First general impression: opening up as the Romans and seeing people holding imperium and being eligible for offices have made me SO HAPPY (and without even playing anything, I'm already convinced it's better than Rome II).

Second general impression: I love the cultural UIs -- thank you to whoever made them! The lack of UI character has plagued the latest Total War Games, but even vanilla Medieval 2 didn't make much use of separate UIs for different cultures even though it had the option to. Seeing the gorgeous terracotta and reds of the Roman UI, the ornamentation of the Successor UI, and the lapis lazuli of the Eastern UI makes me very happy. Those things add a lot of character and it's to TW's detriment that later games don't have decorative UIs at all.

If it helps, I see the year just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ferret View Post
    If it helps, I see the year just fine.
    Tell me more - what version of M2TW did you install it on? Really anything about your install experience that might narrow that down. Also, are you using any special settings (if you went into options and changed anything, that would help) Thanks!
    EBII Council