Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: These are NOT bugs (please don't report them)

Default Re: These are NOT bugs (please don't report them)

''Units hold spears upside down. A required condition of the "overhand spear" animation. It has to do with how the overhand animation works versus the underhand. For the underhand, spearpoint is on top, and rotates down and forward. The wrist orientation does not change (you can test this yourself, holding an imaginary spear). For overhand, the spearpoint is on the bottom and rotates front and up. Again the wrist orientation doesn't change (you can try this too), and that is the key.

Stand there with your imaginary spear and try to get a top-point spear into an overhead stabbing position without letting go of the spear in order to change your grip. Just not possible. And because spears are part of the unit model (not something separate like an arrow), the hand--wrist--spear connection can't change.''

- Sorry, but for truth and clarity's sake I have to point out that this is wrong. Not that I take issue with the animation itself, I definitely don't, but as a re-enactor/living history enthusiast, I have to say that it is entirely possible to get a dory from point up and marching, to overarm and thrust-ready without throwing it or removing your hand from the grip. In and out of a dense formation.

I've personally done this and can post my own videos as a kind of proof, but I have stand-ins, and instead you might as well look at some decent-looking re-enactors doing just this here.

https://youtu.be/R_UAlRSuc-g?t=2m30s

Again, not that I take issue with current animations, I think they're fine, only I wish to clear it up for the record that it is entirely possible to do this. As soon as the man yells out what sounds like 'Proktosis', watch how they maneuver the dory. It's something you must learn if you intend to function with the overarm stance in re-enactment. It helps very much for keeping your non-rusting sarouter toward the ground while on the march and would still be able to bring the aichme to bear at the enemy in combat. In close order, doing any tossing or flipping of the spear would be difficult, so this is how you should do it. Otherwise, having the aichme toward the ground and simply raising it, as they do it in EBII's current animations, is impossible if you are engaging with shields overlapped, as the aichme swinging upward from the ground need space between shields to rise up. Overlapped shields would get in the way of this, and marching with a centrally balanced dory but holding it in front of the shield wall with the point downward is not really feasible.
    Last edited by Janas; July 28, 2015 at 09:00 PM.

To be clear, whenever you see this EDB error in your logs:

Code:
    21:41:58.624 [script.err] [error] Script Error in E:/Medieval II Total War/mods/EBII/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 15258, column 2
    Building DB error - faction f_pergamon has gap in building prior to gymnasiumacademic
    21:41:58.624 [script.err] [error] Script Error in E:/Medieval II Total War/mods/EBII/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 15258, column 2
    Building DB error - faction f_gandhara has gap in building prior to zurkhaneh
    Building DB error - faction f_lugia has gap in building prior to stock_one
    Building DB error - faction f_lugia has gap in building prior to stock_two
    Building DB error - faction f_bosporan has gap in building prior to small_gymnasium
    Building DB error - faction f_bosporan has gap in building prior to gymnasium
    Building DB error - faction f_bosporan has gap in building prior to palaistra
    Building DB error - faction f_bosporan has gap in building prior to gymnasiumacademic
    Building DB error - faction slave has gap in building prior to small_gymnasium
    Building DB error - faction slave has gap in building prior to gymnasium
    Building DB error - faction slave has gap in building prior to palaistra
    Building DB error - faction slave has gap in building prior to gymnasiumacademic
    It's a false positive resulting from having multiple building choices, and is not actually an error at all. The game runs just fine when reporting this, and it can't be removed short of completely restructuring the building trees to only have one upgrade choice per building.

One other one, the game does not "freeze" on starting a new campaign. The very first one you start has to generate the map.rwm, which is a time-consuming process given how many features are packed into EBII. This could take anywhere up to 10 minutes to complete, you must not interrupt this by exiting and starting again, if you do that, you corrupt the map. Which means all sorts of things (such as recruitment) will be broken, and crashes are more likely. If you interrupt it, you need to delete the corrupted map.rwm generated and start a new campaign, allowing it to finish. Note any game you played before this won't work with the new map.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234