Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: These are NOT bugs (please don't report them)

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: These are NOT bugs (please don't report them)

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    10) My faction doesn't have a Family Button. By design. For historical reasons, the M2TW "teutonic system" is used by several EB2 factions (mostly barbarians): Aedui, Arverni, Arevaci, Boii, Lugia, Lusotannan, Pritanoi, Sweboz, and Koinon Hellenon. If you must have families, there are 19 other factions to choose from. Given the reaction to lack of families in R2TW, this will probably prove controversial - that's fine, discuss it elsewhere (NOT in this thread). And don't report it as a "bug".
    Not to discuss it. But its different to R2 since you since you have a faction leader, etc...

I like this thread it makes me feel like EB2 is really, really close. It's the kind of thread that should be stickied already I guess.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

would it be very impolite to ask if this is a
    "just some info while we wait for the tech guys to do their thing, release is still coming sometime the next days"-
    or
    "here are some things while we upload the installer that we dont want to see 5000 topics about later tonight"-
    kind of thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Kull;14045953

[B
    3) Elephant vs. Elephant is inconclusive.[/B] Yes, they can't kill each other. Just don't do it. And if you think armies composed entirely of elephants should be able to slaughter one another, I'd love to see the historical proof.
    Well they may not have killed each other, but at the Battle of Raphia it was the only meeting between Indian Elephants and the smaller African ones. According to Polybius the African Elephants would route on contact with the Asian ones.

Telémakhos's Avatar Libertus

Sounds like a really important post to make just before release...!

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Hantscher View Post
    Well they may not have killed each other, but at the Battle of Raphia it was the only meeting between Indian Elephants and the smaller African ones. According to Polybius the African Elephants would route on contact with the Asian ones.
    That may be, but good luck modding that type of thing into the game. And for all those whose lives are incomplete until the day they can have large herbivores killing each other enmasse, feel free to edit the stats in your own game (the last bit was not directed at you, EH).

Without getting into a discussion (which will otherwise consume the entire thread), it's pretty easy to mod your own version of EB2 to put families back into play for the faction of your choice. Edit descr_sm_factions.txt accordingly:
    Code:
    faction						f_aedui	;;; Faction number 12
    culture						cul_5
    religion					rel_e
    symbol						models_strat/symbol_f_aedui.CAS
    rebel_symbol					models_strat/symbol_f_aedui_rebel.CAS
    primary_colour					red 61, green 86, blue 30
    secondary_colour				red 61, green 86, blue 30
    loading_logo					loading_screen/symbols/symbol128_f_aedui.tga
    standard_index					10
    logo_index					FACTION_LOGO_F_AEDUI
    small_logo_index				SMALL_FACTION_LOGO_F_AEDUI
    triumph_value					5
    custom_battle_availability			yes
    can_sap						yes
    prefers_naval_invasions				yes
    can_have_princess				no
    has_family_tree					teutonic (change to "yes")
    Keep in mind, that some of these factions may have been designed to work better without families, so you could be tossing a spanner into the works. And no, I won't elaborate, because the reality is that ALL of EB2 has been designed to work with our current stats and setups, and people who modify any part of it do so at their own risk. But I will REPEAT - discussion of EB2 philosophies - to include families yes/no - those things need their own threads, OK?
    EBII Council

That may be, but good luck modding that type of thing into the game. And for all those whose lives are incomplete until the day they can have large herbivores killing each other enmasse, feel free to edit the stats in your own game (the last bit was not directed at you, EH).
    Ah, I see. I thought you guys couldn't make the elephants to kill each other, couldn't perceive it was a design decision.
    It's fine by me, wasn't my point, really. I was just trying to pursue a solution to something I thought was a bug (maybe you could slightly rework that part in the OP).

Of course elephants tend to go amok/rout when facing great dangers in the battlefield. Now, about the proof about pachiderms killing each other is possible, it still occurs to this day in the wild, but I don't think they would have enough time to do it during a battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Yayattasa View Post
    Ah, I see. I thought you guys couldn't make the elephants to kill each other, couldn't perceive it was a design decision.
    It's fine by me, wasn't my point, really. I was just trying to pursue a solution to something I thought was a bug (maybe you could slightly rework that part in the OP).

Of course elephants tend to go amok/rout when facing great dangers in the battlefield. Now, about the proof about pachiderms killing each other is possible, it still occurs to this day in the wild, but I don't think they would have enough time to do it during a battle.
    The reality is that, no, I could not edit the stats such that elephants killed each other easily, without also making them incredibly fragile in other areas - which didn't seem like a reasonable trade. Perhaps others can find a happier statistical medium. As for killing each other in the wild, it happens, but not for the reasons (or in the numbers) that humans use when conducting war. Anyway the point is, the current balance is by design, and not a "bug"
    EBII Council

That may be, but good luck modding that type of thing into the game. And for all those whose lives are incomplete until the day they can have large herbivores killing each other enmasse, feel free to edit the stats in your own game (the last bit was not directed at you, EH)
    Yea I know you can't really mod that. I just saw an opportunity to use some information I happened to have read about this week. I had to take it.

Edit descr_sm_factions.txt accordingly:
    Code:
    faction                        f_aedui    ;;; Faction number 12
    culture                        cul_5
    religion                    rel_e
    symbol                        models_strat/symbol_f_aedui.CAS
    rebel_symbol                    models_strat/symbol_f_aedui_rebel.CAS
    primary_colour                    red 61, green 86, blue 30
    secondary_colour                red 61, green 86, blue 30
    loading_logo                    loading_screen/symbols/symbol128_f_aedui.tga
    standard_index                    10
    logo_index                    FACTION_LOGO_F_AEDUI
    small_logo_index                SMALL_FACTION_LOGO_F_AEDUI
    triumph_value                    5
    custom_battle_availability            yes
    can_sap                        yes
    prefers_naval_invasions                yes
    can_have_princess                no
    has_family_tree                    teutonic (change to "yes")
    Tangent of a tangent, but is editing faction colours as easy as changing those three values under primary_colour and secondary_colour, just like it was in EB?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Tangent of a tangent, but is editing faction colours as easy as changing those three values under primary_colour and secondary_colour, just like it was in EB?
    Only partially. The banners for example are designed individually and include colors. So if you made Aedui some form of blue, their battle banners would still be green. Campaign map too (at least for settlements). Some things would change, but couldn't tell you exactly what.
    EBII Council

The minimap color seems to be the main change, and the border colors in the campaign map too if im not mistaken.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Geleco's Avatar Domesticus

So is it possible to have borderless faction colors then?

Battlefield's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Geleco View Post
    So is it possible to have borderless faction colors then?
    Yeah, just set the primary color same as the secondary color.
    Rome Total War mods
    INVASIO BARBARORVM | Roma Surrectum | Rome Total Realism
    Medieval 2 Total War mods
    Stainless Steel | Europa Barbarorum II | Broken Crescent

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

Geleco's Avatar Domesticus

Ok, from what I read it sounded like primary color was unchangeable.

Latest update via the EB twitter:

"Swords, axes and spears are being sharpened. The Sabaean malk has requested his Qayls to gather their warriors for the 2nd release of EBII."

Hmmm, wonder what it means?

Was there a 1st release?

Quote Originally Posted by pokeytrev View Post
    Latest update via the EB twitter:

"Swords, axes and spears are being sharpened. The Sabaean malk has requested his Qayls to gather their warriors for the 2nd release of EBII."

Hmmm, wonder what it means?
    That was a bug. But we know about it, so don't report it.
    EBII Council

I assume there will be an official bug report thread? Can't wait to begin bug-testing
    Also, is there a thread somewhere on TWC which explains how family trees can be added or removed? Would appreciate a link, didn't manage to find with google.

The reality is that, no, I could not edit the stats such that elephants killed each other easily, without also making them incredibly fragile in other areas - which didn't seem like a reasonable trade. Perhaps others can find a happier statistical medium. As for killing each other in the wild, it happens, but not for the reasons (or in the numbers) that humans use when conducting war. Anyway the point is, the current balance is by design, and not a "bug"
    But what about the javelin throwers on top of the elephants? Both in Broken Crescent and in EB I they're able to kill other elephants (albeit rarely, given their small unit size). Did you change their weapon type to prevent that or are they still capable of doing it?

Only partially. The banners for example are designed individually and include colors. So if you made Aedui some form of blue, their battle banners would still be green. Campaign map too (at least for settlements). Some things would change, but couldn't tell you exactly what.
    That's fine with me, I don't use battle banners anyway. Main thing is change on the minimap so I can distinguish between factions more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    The minimap color seems to be the main change, and the border colors in the campaign map too if im not mistaken.
    That's the main thing I'm after. Epirote green will vanish next to Aedui/Aruernoi greens, I won't be able to tell what's what.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast