Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Idea] Scouting team

Default [Idea] Scouting team

Everyone complains about the lack of new blood in the Curia, about citizen-worthy individuals not being rewarded, etc. What I'm about to explain is something I've seen work very well on another forum with regards to promotion of members, so here goes. Didn't want to put it in the Proth as it's still fairly poorly thought out, and I don't like drafting legalese.

- Have a team of individuals across disciplines (modding, writing, gaming, debate, staff, etc) who carry an expressed mandate to look for individuals who bear promise, particularly new members.
    - The scout team could double as a recruitment device for staff - before my tenure as editor of the Quill was cut short by inactivity, I was able form a solid team on the back of drafting 4-5 new members whom I'd seen contribute around the forums.
    - Over time the scout team could discretely refer worthy applicants to willing patrons (or vice versa) and have these individuals pass through the gates of the Curia.
    - Perhaps experienced citizens could put themselves forward as potential patrons for a particular field, e.g. I'd be happy to sponsor most folks in the Writer's Study if they were put to me and I personally thought they were worthy.
    - Etc etc.

My reasoning is simple - a lot of the time new members see other guys with badges, positions of responsibility, bagloads of rep, etc. Often they are willing to contribute, want to contribute, but have no idea how to go about it the right way. Some might say the patron-client relationship should be organic - well these individuals are welcome to go out there and find clients (this doesn't stop the organic route of people sponsoring each other at all). But I feel having a more structured system could work too to accelerate the recognition of talent.

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions?
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Default Re: [Idea] Scouting team

I would start now by asking who wants to participate in such team. So you would see how realistic it is in terms of number of members, which I think it is the first requisit.

Then I suggest you to get all these voluntaries to discuss about the team tasks, organization and then present a proposal if needed, maybe it is not and it is fully efficient in its work with no other formality.

This way you get first what has been a need in other teams, real helping members, as it seems that here we like to debate, no doubt about it, but then the implementation is many times doubtfull if there is no a real commitment.

I am very busy modding, so I wont participate in the search.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; August 24, 2014 at 01:58 AM.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Opposed, there is no need for such a committee

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

The main problem of the Curia if you will is not the lack of participation but the lack of a real purpose. By adding more people you do not change this basic dynamic.

In other words, this proposal would essentially create a new committee with the job of recruiting members for another committee (the Curia) despite the fact that the latter committee (Curia) has no real purpose.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

This will be a rough copy of the CdeC.

Don't give the plebs a custom user title, give them the Curia!!
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

m_1512's Avatar Quomodo vales?
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    The main problem of the Curia if you will is not the lack of participation but the lack of a real purpose. By adding more people you do not change this basic dynamic.

In other words, this proposal would essentially create a new committee with the job of recruiting members for another committee (the Curia) despite the fact that the latter committee (Curia) has no real purpose.
    Exactly, this is again going along the lines of measuring success by activity. But if focus is given to achieving results, the curia can try and work towards some real purpose.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

I do not see the utility of the proposal. It consumes some time but we all are free and have the ability to patronize people.

And I do not understand how some people still does not understand "the purpose" of the curia. Sometimes we look like some kind of silly existentialist club.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I'm on the fence. 80% of what Robin has written is what I've been doing since I became a citizen but I'm sure if creating a new curial comitee is a good idea and Citizens should definitely not act as a recruitment device for staff. Nor are they needed to, Staff already recruits based on other members recommendations
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    I do not see the utility of the proposal. It consumes some time but we all are free and have the ability to patronize people.

And I do not understand how some people still does not understand "the purpose" of the curia. Sometimes All the time we look like some kind of silly existentialist club.
    Sometimes? I corrected that for you.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post
    I would start now by asking who wants to participate in such team. So you would see how realistic it is in terms of number of members, which I think it is the first requisit.
    There's a reason why I called this an "idea" - the cynicism towards doing something constructive with the Curia wasn't exactly unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    Opposed, there is no need for such a committee
    Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    The main problem of the Curia if you will is not the lack of participation but the lack of a real purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesus de bodemloze View Post
    This will be a rough copy of the CdeC.

Don't give the plebs a custom user title, give them the Curia!!
    Quote Originally Posted by m_1512 View Post
    Exactly, this is again going along the lines of measuring success by activity. But if focus is given to achieving results, the curia can try and work towards some real purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post

And I do not understand how some people still does not understand "the purpose" of the curia. Sometimes we look like some kind of silly existentialist club.
    People aspire to the Curia for whatever reason that they may - that alone is a purpose. The Curia itself doesn't "do" anything as an organised unit - but why does it need to?

The Curia is its citizens. So long as these men set an example who aren't then that's a useful enough "purpose" as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; August 24, 2014 at 08:57 AM.

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Which cynism?

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

Scouting team you say?

This can be an unofficial team (not an elected committee) so no need for a proth proposal or constant elections. Maybe start a thread in the forum magnum and ask for volunteers? Even non-citizens can scout for contributors.
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by jimkatalanos View Post
    Scouting team you say?

This can be an unofficial team (not an elected committee) so no need for a proth proposal or constant elections. Maybe start a thread in the forum magnum and ask for volunteers? Even non-citizens can scout for contributors.
    This reminds me of the time when Q tried to trap me with some heineken and Arsenal pictures. I can see he managed to convince some.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

I did go to the Heineken factory late last year .

Anywho on this scout team. It's not a bad idea but I wonder if it's a bit too formal to start off with. When I was Curator I considered the idea of a pinned thread in the Curia where people could throw in names of people who could or should be citizen. Almost like a list of sorts because not everyone has the time to patronize. So you've got a thread right there with a bunch of names of normal members citizens could potentially link up with. People who don't have time to patronize can put tips on potential citizens in the thread. etc etc

I think there's definitely merit in your idea. How formal it is and how something like this gets implemented is going to be key to whether it's something that works in reality.

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

^Basically this. This thread could be opened and stick in the QP. The Curator could set up a couple of rules for that thread, so that it stays civil and there we go.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

A thread does sound like a good idea. We don't even need a decision for it.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Exactly and with some straight forward rules for it, enforced by the Curator, it could do good.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

I'm glad this is going somewhere. I think Omni's idea of a thread a like that could be great.

I'd back an informal sort of idea, I remember Omni's old idea, and it's a good one.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

can not hurt, that's for sure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast