Thread: How to add a new land mass

Default How to add a new land mass

This tutorial explains how to add additional land masses to the map. Before reading this tutorial I recommend reading my how to split a region tutorial because it I will not be covering anything that's explained in this tutorial:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...split-a-region

Tweak New Sea
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    1) Open the DB table regions_sea.
    • Click the "Add record" button to add a new row.
    • Copy and paste an existing record into the new record which is the same type as your new sea region.
    • Give this sea a unique ID, such as "jap_bohai_sea".
    • Give this sea a name, such as "Bohai Sea".

When finished click the Apply button.

3D Max Part 1, new land mass
    1) Using 3D max open the "total war shogun 2\modding\raw_data\EmpireDesignData\campaign_maps\sho_japan\Shogun2.max".

2) Select the modify tab and use the "cut" tool to create a new land mass.

Before:

After:

3) Using my "How to split a region" guide add a new region to this land mass.

Make sure that at the edge of the map is a sea or no_go land region. If a land region touches the edge of the map this will prevent the pathfinding being created on all the land regions in this new land mass, which will prevent any units being able to walk on it.

4) Hide all layers except the Regions.cs2.

5) Hold down the <Ctrl> key and press the <A> key to select everything.

6) Press the 3DS button and in the pop-up menu select "Export", then select "Export selected". Export this file as the Regions.CS2 in the campaign_map folder you're editing.

3D Max Part 2, new mountains
    1) Unhide and freeze the Regions.cs2 layer. This will prevent you accidentally selecting it.

2) Unhide the "Mountains.cs2" layer.

3) In the Create menu use the line tool to create a spline (a curve connected by two or more points) where the mountain is located.

4) When asked if you want to "Close spline?" click Yes.

5) Give this mountain a unique name. In this example I use "Mountain84".

6) Repeat for all other mountains you want to add.

7) Hide all layers except the "Mountains.cs2".

8) Press the 3DS button and in the pop-up menu select "Export", then select "Export selected". Export this file as the Mountains.CS2 in the campaign_map folder you're editing.

3D Max Part 3, new sea region
    1) Hide all layers except the Regions.cs2 layer.

2) Press <M> to bring up the Material editor.

3) Click the "Add" button. This will create a new material at the bottom of this list.

4) Give this region a unique ID and Name. In this example I used 415 and Bohai Sea.

5) Click on the button in the "Sub-Material" column to bring up the sub-material menu.

6) In this menu rename the material. The name of this material has to contain the "sea_" prefix and the name of the sea from the "regions_sea" DB Table. In this example it's sea_jap_bohai_sea.

Then click the grey box next to "Diffuse" and in the pop-up menu choose the colour you assigned to this region using Tweak. In this example it's R:180, G:180, B:180.

7) Select the modify tab and use the "cut" tool on the area you wish to split into two sea regions. In this example I split the Yellow Sea area.

8) Set the selection tool to "Polygon". Hold down <ctrl> and select all the polygons in your new region. In the image the selected polygons are all red.

9) In the "Polygon:Material IDs" "Set ID:" box enter the ID of your new region (210 in this example). This will assign these polygons to your new region. If done correctly these polygons will change to the colour of your new sea region.

10) Hide all layers except the Regions.cs2.

11) Hold down the <Ctrl> key and press the <A> key to select everything.

12) Press the 3DS button and in the pop-up menu select "Export", then select "Export selected". Export this file as the Regions.CS2 in the campaign_map folder you're editing.

3D Max Part 4, new sea ground type
    1) Unhide and freeze the Regions.cs2 layer. This will prevent you accidentally selecting it.

2) Unhide the "Sea_ground_types.cs2" layer. The dark areas are where sea attrition occurs, the light areas don't cause sea attrition.

3) Select the modify tab and use the "cut" tool on the area you want ships to be able to safely sail.

8) Set the selection tool to "Polygon". Hold down <ctrl> and select all the polygons in your new region. In the image the selected polygons are all red.

9) In the "Polygon:Material IDs" "Set ID:" box enter the ID of your new region (9 in this example). This will assign these polygons to your new region. If done correctly these polygons will become transparent.

10) Hide all layers except the Sea_ground_types.cs2.

11) Hold down the <Ctrl> key and press the <A> key to select everything.

12) Press the 3DS button and in the pop-up menu select "Export", then select "Export selected". Export this file as the Sea_ground_types.CS2 in the campaign_map folder you're editing.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4b sea colour.jpg   4a new sea.jpg   3f export.jpg   3e rename.jpg   3c close.jpg  

3b line.jpg   3a mountains.jpg   2b cut.jpg   2a basic.jpg   5e tweak.jpg  

Last edited by uanime5; November 13, 2022 at 06:49 AM.
    Morning Sun (adds Korea and China to the Shogun 2 map)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...28-Morning-Sun

Expanded Japan mod (97 new regions and 101 new factions)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ew-factions%29

How to split a region in TWS2

Eras Total Conquest 2.3 (12 campaigns from 970-1547)

Default Re: How to add a new land mass

The heightmap.tiff and campaign_detail_mask.dds can be edited with an image editing software; such as Photoshop, Gimp, or Paint.net. In these examples I use photoshop.

Editing the height map

Warning this file is huge and it may not be possible to edit it on some computers.

The height map is located in the "modding\raw_data\EmpireDesignData\campaign_maps\sho_japan\display\Heightmap" folder.

The height map controls how high the terrain is. The lighter the colour the higher the terrain.

This file covers the entire area shown in 3D Max so you need to add your new land mass in the same place it's located in 3D Max.

I use the following colour for different parts of the map.

Deep sea = 0, 0, 0
    Regular sea = 24, 24, 24
    Shallow sea = 43, 43, 43

Land = 86, 86, 86 (if the land colour is too dark Shogun 2 will put this area underwater)
    Low mountain = 122, 122, 122
    High mountain = 184, 184, 184
    Mountain peak = 240, 240, 240

When done save this file as heightmap.tiff.

Editing the campaign detail mask
    The campaign_detail_mask.dds and campaign_detail_mask_low.dds are located in the "data.pack\campaign_maps\sho_japan\display\Detail" folder.

This campaign detail mask controls what type of terrain is displayed on the land. It does not affect anywhere that is underwater.

The colours mean the following:

Red = rocky
    Green = fertile land
    Blue = mountain
    Black = grass
    Alpha channel = sand/coast

This file only covers the playable area (controlled by the DB table campaign_map_playable_areas), not the entire 3D Max map. Only add details for the areas that will be playable.

In the example below I made Japan smaller so I could add Korea.

Here is the same image with the alpha channel shown. In Japan the alpha channel shows where units on boats can disembark.

When done editing this file save it as the campaign_detail_mask.dds. You can also use the same file for the campaign_detail_mask_low.dds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7a details.jpg   6b height korea.jpg   6a height.jpg   5d export.jpg   5c recolour.jpg  

5b cut.jpg   5a sea types.jpg   4e export.jpg   4d colour.jpg   4c cut.jpg  

Last edited by uanime5; August 22, 2014 at 08:39 PM.

I've only included how to make the heightmap files because my "How to split a region" guide explains how to make all the esf files.

Bob is not requires for the campaign detail mask files. Once you've edited them you can add them to your mod pack using the Pack File Manager.

Bob, heightmap
    Bob is located in the "total war shogun 2\modding\binaries" folder.

1) In the "Working" column select the campaign_maps/sho_jap/display/heightmap folder. When the pop-up appears select "All".

2) Click the start button.

3) Once BOB has finished you need to add the new heightmap folder from the total war shogun 2\modding\working_data\sho_japan\display folder to the mod pack in the total war shogun 2\modding\retail\data folder using the Pack File Manager (PFM). The heightmap folder needs to go in the campaign_maps\sho_japan\display folder.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7c alpha.jpg   7b details new.jpg   8b bob.jpg   8a bob.jpg  
    Last edited by uanime5; August 22, 2014 at 09:02 PM.

beautiful Can you give me a Korean Map it ?

Appreciate the guide 100%

But it should be mentioned that you should save the campaign_mask.dds flipped upside down. (if ur program loaded it up right)

Also feel like saving options like include MIPS and any explanation about these would be helpful.

Also terrain_metadata.tga should be at least mentioned, because im pretty darn sure its creating random extra textures on my map?
    Infact I tried editing it and i got this in BoB when compressing?

Loading terrain_metadata.tga ... Done!
    Loading attribute_metadata.tga ... Done!
    cannot find terrain type from colour - see Chu
    t:\branches\shogun2\modders\common\tooldatabuilder\source\CampaignMapData/CampaignMetaData.cpp(178) : TOOLDATABUILDER::CAMPAIGN_METADATA_PROCESSOR::write_metadata
    terrain_type_valid
    cannot find terrain type from colour - see Chu

http://i.imgur.com/cm02xi6.png
    Last edited by Havie; August 15, 2017 at 10:48 PM.

Excellent effort +.....rep

@Uanime5 I would pay you to make New Mexico, Texas and Mexico campaign map so I could make the Mexican-American War and Texas Revolution mod. I'm serious. PM me if interested.

Janbāru's Avatar Libertus

I'm trying to use this tuto to make a new map. I've followed the 1st step about the regions_sea file in which I created a "new" sea entry.

But I'm having troubles with the next step and 3DS Max 2010. When opening the shogun2.max file? I'm having these messages poping up :

Click on the pic to enlarge

and...

Click on the pic to enlarge

Is that normal?

Beside, as I'm a complete newb in 3DS Max, I'd be grateful if somebody can lead me to a tutorial I can use to work on that map. So far, the one I've found are purely focused on 3D modeling.
    Many thanks in advance
    Last edited by Janbāru; January 23, 2022 at 06:51 AM.

Yep, that's normal. In first window select "Adopt the File's Gamma and LUT settings?" (it is done by default), second window you can just ignore and click "continue"
    Wolf girl who likes to draw anime girls ❤️ DeviantArt, Twitter
    Also mad creator of

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
    TWCenter Forum, MODDB, Patreon

Many thanks Sara

A stupid question : where's the "cut" tool mentionned in the 1st post? Can't find it in the modify tab

There:
    Wolf girl who likes to draw anime girls ❤️ DeviantArt, Twitter
    Also mad creator of

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
    TWCenter Forum, MODDB, Patreon

Many thanks again Sara.
    Now, just need tro find out how to set the background at the right size in 3DS Max and if it's possible to make the layer a bit transparent in order to have a model to draw the map