Thread: The Great War 1914 - 1918

Default The Great War 1914 - 1918

Since The Great War 100th years anniversary, and after playing quite a lot single and MP battles I think that UG:Gettysburg has the most suitable engine (and everything else too) to cover The Great War battles - campaign. There are not any serious strategy games covering WW1(except maybe for Valiant hearts - not strategy though, and some mods for CoH or TW games which have obviously serious limitations).
    I am sure the statement is very premature since UG:Gettysburg is not finished yet but I just thought It would be nice to discuss it a little bit on this forum.

So unleash your ideas

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: The Great War 1914 - 1918

The Clausewitz engine would work far better, considering the scale of the war. The engine used for UG works much better when focusing on single battles. UG Waterloo would be far more likely than UG Verdun.

I am not very familiar with Clausewitz engine only from what I read, so I can not tell. But as you say UG engine focuses on single battles, The Battle of Verdun was more like a campaign lasting almost a month and consisting from many engagements so it would be indeed very complicated to cover it all. I was thinking to choose some of those "smaller engagements" that were somehow significant in those WW1 battles (not focusing on Verdun only). UG engine is kind of abstract, so one soldier could represent many more as it is in UG: Gettysburg. (dont know the ratio)
    The idea for the use of UG engine is that it represents the battlefield in a way that allows player to imagine how the fatigue, morale, decision making, landscape and many more affected the result of battle, and since WW1 battles were at some point static and with the attacking waves of soldiers with artillery support could be in some way compared to 19th century warfare despite the use of more advanced and lethal weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by brandabur22 View Post
    I am not very familiar with Clausewitz engine
    Its an Engine created by Paradox Interactive, and used for games like Heart of Iron 3 (and the upcoming 4), Europa Universalis 3 (and 4), Crusader Kings 2, etc etc.

Its very versatile, but i dont think Paradox licenses it out.
    "I will say it again, there are no bugs in this game. No melee bug, no formation bug, no suicidal general bug, nothing."

M2TWRocks, when speaking of N:TW (Source)

We have many requests for this, but the sure thing is that we will follow up fast with another ACW battle. I will inform which one when we decide.

That is great news. I play the game a lot and iam looking forward to see another battle.

[G-Shock]'s Avatar Semisalis

The possibilities are unlimited, however, there's ONE history period that hasn't been touched yet: the age of the warring states in ancient China.
    This engine can be used for a vast set of wars, battle by battle... Napoleon, The Sengoku Jidai, any war of secession/unification in the world, that's why it's important to add features that can be exported to other scenarios.

As of the CW, without forgetting naval battles are also possible, there's Antietam, Shiloh, Yellow Tavern, Fredericksburg, the 2 Bull Runs, Chancellorsville... a compelling list (theater by theater in sublinks) is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...il_War_battles it's definitely worth noting that the very first years with Stonewall Jackson are the most suitable for what if scenarios.

How about ancient warfare? Lacking artillery would make it less interesting though.

[G-Shock]'s Avatar Semisalis

Balistas were in use in the warring states period.
    Honestly, I think this engine could cover any battle of any age, even the Yom Kippur war.

Let them iron out the bugs, add the missing features (that can be used for other scenarios) and finish the ACW era first... hey the game is just out.

Franco Prussian War, Crimean War, Austro Prussian War Could go all the way back to Blenheim

I've been recently programming a really small Total-war alike and I suspect one of the difficulties (which may explain the lack of changing formation depth in this) is figuring out which place in a formation each soldier should move towards, to minimize total movement distance and path crossing. Total War does that fantastically well!

Obviously formations are very important for ancient warfare.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Considering it seems to be hard to add features like trenches to the 2D map. Would be hard.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..