Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Yōkai (Abandoned)

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 33 - 17.2.15

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    An interesting and unexpected twist even for you Hitai, I like the last line "Well then, let's get started". I can already imagine all the humorous dialogue between these two in future chapters.

Also, how did you get that deer there in the first pic?
    There will definitely be no more twists from now on. Definitely...

Yeah although I think Nishina had her own dry humour, having Akashi back does make it a bit more fun. It's been quite difficult writing him though, but I guess I'll talk about that more as the act progresses.

The deer? I just jumped into a custom battle to get some scenic screenshots for this Act and I was zooming around the map when I saw a group of deer. Waited for one to get into a nice position and snapped the shot. Shogun 2 has deer, bears and two types of birds, if I remember rightly. I wish there was a greater variety of animals, since they're a really cool way of adding flavour to an AAR - bird screenshots are things I've included in both this and Kyoto.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 34 - 20.2.15

To One’s Senses
    Tatsuno-han, November 1864

“So you’re an Ishin Shishi?” Akashi asked, as Suzushi trudged through the snow.

Suzushi smiled. Of course he had never known. There were so many things he didn’t know. It was a relief to finally enlighten him. “That’s right Kyo-chan,” she asserted. “I was in Asahi for exactly the same reason as you.”

The necklace didn’t respond for a while, no doubt musing on this new information. “Why didn’t you ever say anything? You would have been a lot more helpful than that Norito kid.”

A shrug. “You know I love you Kyo-chan, but you weren’t entirely trustworthy.”

“Not entirely trustworthy?” Akashi repeated incredulously, apparently ignoring the rest of her statement. “What do you mean?”

“Well,” Suzushi spoke slowly. “All that imperial propaganda you were spouting; styling yourself as part of the imperial military and all that. Hardly inconspicuous. Plus there’s that whole religious war you were trying to incite.”

If Akashi hadn’t been a piece of jewellery, there was no doubt he would have been scowling. “My faith in the emperor and in God are unshakeable. I thought that was why I was assigned to the mission in the first place.”

“Oh Kyo-chan!” Suzushi simpered. “You were just a distraction. Should any Shogunate agents have also been after the boy, you would have drawn their attention away from me. I was always the one the emperor expected to complete the mission.”

The necklace snorted in contempt. “So I was just the bait?”

“Don’t worry, I would have protected you from any harm.”

“…I died Suzushi,” Akashi reminded her sourly.

The girl laughed, apparently now able to consider that traumatic time a mere joke now that he was with her again. “Well you weren’t killed by a Shogunate agent now were you Kyo-chan?”

Akashi growled, but didn’t labour the point. “Anyway, how come you still don’t have the boy? Someone else got to him first?”

“That’s right,” Suzushi admitted darkly, her thoughts flashing back to the duel atop the train. “Nishina Hitsumei.”

“Nishina Hitsumei? Who’s that?”

Her nose rankled as Akashi repeated the name. “Some tarted up priestess. She smuggled the boy out of Asahi just after he killed you.”

“Does she work for the Shogun?”

Suzushi shrugged. She had known of Nishina during their time clandestinely stalking the streets of Asahi, but the woman’s true identity eluded her. “I don’t think so. They were heading west when I last saw them, away from Edo.”

Akashi was silent for a moment. “A priestess you said? Christian? Sounds like my kind of woman.”

“Don’t you go getting any ideas,” Suzushi spoke icily. “You’re mine.”

The necklace let out a small laugh, but swiftly returned to the topic at hand. “So is that why we’re heading west?”

It was true. Ever since falling from the train just north of Kobe, they had been marching west, following the setting sun. In truth, Suzushi had no better plan. Nishina and the boy had been heading away from Edo, perhaps towards Kyushu. Even if she had managed to separate the pair of them, the boy was still on the train. There was nothing she could do except keep pursuing him.

“We’re being followed by the way,” Akashi told her nonchalantly, as she continued to think about their predicament.

It took a few moments for her to register what he had said. “Wait, what? What do you mean?”

“There’s someone following us,” the former captain didn’t seem to be concerned in the slightest. “They’ve been on our trail ever since I awoke.”

“How do you know?” Suzushi asked incredulously. “I didn’t think you could see!”

Akashi made a non-committal noise. “Well, I don’t know,” he spoke slowly, unsure of himself. “But I can kind of sense things. It’s like having all five senses rolled into one. It’s hard to describe.”

Suzushi stopped dead in her tracks and examined the necklace around her neck. “Why are you only just telling me this now!?”

“Hey! It’s tough adapting to life as a necklace. Why don’t you try it and see if you can figure everything out in five minutes?”

The girl huffed and continued marching on. “So we’re being followed? No doubt it’s that horrible Hitsu-chan.”

“No,” Akashi spoke slowly, as if he were trying to work out a difficult equation. “It’s a man.

“And he’s got a horse.”

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Happy Chinese New Year all

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

HITAI! WHAT IS THIS MADNESS? THROWING PEOPLE FROM TRAINS? BRINGING PEOPLE BACK TO LIFE?

Madness, pure madness, stupendous! And an utterly brilliant read! Over the last three days I have been reading through this, and other AARS. (I was unwell, sadly, so I had little to do but sit and sleep.) And I must admit, its fantastic!

How do you do it? Write so many updates, so quickly, and at such a great quality? I need to know this secret!

Thanks

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Default Yōkai | Updated Chapter 34 - 20.2.15

Happy Chinese New Year!!! And great update! Really like the banter between the two.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

“Hey! It’s tough adapting to life as a necklace. Why don’t you try it and see if you can figure everything out in five minutes?”
    This. This here is my favourite line from anything. Actually maybe its behind "The night is dark and full of turnips"

Intertwining some more humour into this story has worked wonders I think. But I don't think the characters will be having a Happy Chinese New Year!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus View Post
    HITAI! WHAT IS THIS MADNESS? THROWING PEOPLE FROM TRAINS? BRINGING PEOPLE BACK TO LIFE?

Madness, pure madness, stupendous! And an utterly brilliant read! Over the last three days I have been reading through this, and other AARS. (I was unwell, sadly, so I had little to do but sit and sleep.) And I must admit, its fantastic!

How do you do it? Write so many updates, so quickly, and at such a great quality? I need to know this secret!

Thanks

Tigellinus
    Why hello there Thanks for the kind words! I'd be the first to admit it's totally mad. A lot of fun though I hope!

I don't really have a secret. I just always try and write so I can stay far enough ahead to have regular updates. So I've actually finished writing most of Act III, but only just started posting it. Quality though? I'll have to disagree. I think the actual quality has deteriorated rapidly and I'm not really too proud of it in literary terms. However, I do really like the story. I've given up trying to dress it up and refine it into something I'm proud of in terms of literary quality; instead I'm just focussing on telling a good story

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    Happy Chinese New Year!!! And great update! Really like the banter between the two.
    Muchas gracias

This. This here is my favourite line from anything. Actually maybe its behind "The night is dark and full of turnips"

Intertwining some more humour into this story has worked wonders I think. But I don't think the characters will be having a Happy Chinese New Year!
    Really? I'm glad you like it. I don't like this Act very much myself, so I'm glad you're managing to enjoy it!
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; February 22, 2015 at 07:09 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 35 - 22.2.15

Shelter
    Himeji-cho, Tatsuno-han, December 1864

According to Akashi’s strange senses, the rider following them was only a few days behind them as November melted into December. Suzushi hoped that her love had made a mistake; that this was just some coincidence. Even though she didn’t fear a fight, she didn’t like the fact that she could be tracked so easily. Besides, the less trouble, the better.

The castle town of Himeji was nestled on the coast, half way between Osaka and Okayama. They slipped silently into the village, hoping to elude their potential pursuer and rest a few days. The winter was bitter and her fine clothes had been ruined by rough nights and hazardous weather. Shivering and frozen from cold, she stumbled up to a house and rapped on the door.

After a few moments, a woman opened the door, staring at Suzushi quizzically. “Yes?” she spoke bluntly, her narrow eyes drifting up and down Suzushi’s ragged form.

“Good afternoon,” Suzushi smiled at the woman, trying to muster up some decorum. “We…I mean I’m a weary traveller. I was wondering if you could offer me shelter for a few nights?”

“Just kill her and take the house,” Akashi suggested bluntly.

Suzushi screamed, clasping her hands to her mouth. She had become so used to speaking to the necklace that she had forgotten the sheer lunacy of it all; what would happen when others heard him speak?

The woman looked at her ever more distastefully. “Are you okay?” she asked, not sounding concerned whatsoever.

“Me?” Suzushi qualified with a stammer. “Oh yes I’m fine. Did you just hear that?”

“Hear what?” the woman asked warily.

Suzushi breathed a sigh of relief. Other people couldn’t hear Akashi. Her racing heart calmed somewhat as she stood in the snow before the house, breathing heavily. That had been a close one.

“Can she not hear me?” Akashi asked, sounding disappointed. “Well there goes my escape plan. I guess I really am stuck with you for the time being.”

“Quiet Kyo-chan,” Suzushi told him. Although she knew that deep down in his heart – or whatever it was he had now – he loved her, his jibes were nonetheless distracting at times.

“Who’s Kyo-chan?” the woman in the doorway questioned Suzushi, clearly about ready to slam the door in this apparently mad vagabond’s face.

Suzushi tried to laugh naturally and waved her hands in an attempt to assuage the woman’s fears. “No one, no one,” she clarified as Akashi protested. “Anyway, do you have a spare room?”

The woman shook her head. “No,” she spoke firmly. However, her dark scowl receded somewhat as she closed the door in Suzushi’s face. “There’s a barn though.”

Smiling as the door was slammed in her face, Suzushi turned to the barn beside the house. A short, squat building, raised from the ground to prevent the spoiling of grain from the snow, it was better than nothing.

Climbing the steps to the barn and entering inside, Suzushi finally collapsed on the wooden floor. “I need to rest Kyo-chan,” she told him, as her eyes began to close. “How long were we travelling? Days? Weeks? I’ve lost count. I’m cold and tired.”

“You’ve hid it pretty well,” Akashi commented, almost sounding impressed.

Suzushi smiled. “I’m used to it,” she told him softly. “I’m an ishin shishi…I learned how to be someone I’m not a long time ago. But it was only when I met you that I learned how to be myself again.”

“What do you mean?” Akashi inquired, but Suzushi had already slipped into unconsciousness.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Well, well. A possessed/haunted/ensouled crucifix. That's something you don't see every day...

I'm enjoying Akashi's adjustment to his new situation - and Suzushi's determination to have romantic feelings for a necklace.

Edited to add:
    Sorry to hear you've been unwell, Tigellinus. Hope you're feeling better now.
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; February 22, 2015 at 08:15 AM.

Another good update. "why don't you just kill her?" Would probably solve a wide range problems in all stories.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh View Post
    Well, well. A possessed/haunted/ensouled crucifix. That's something you don't see every day...

I'm enjoying Akashi's adjustment to his new situation - and Suzushi's determination to have romantic feelings for a necklace.

Edited to add:
    Sorry to hear you've been unwell, Tigellinus. Hope you're feeling better now.
    I'm not sure which couple is more dysfunctional, between these two and Nishina and Shinji

Another good update. "why don't you just kill her?" Would probably solve a wide range problems in all stories.
    I like to call it the Yaridama Chiryo Solution.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

A Midnight Meeting

Suzushi awoke with a start as she heard a crash. Raising her sore head from the wooden floor, she turned to see the door to the barn forced open, moonlight streaming into the small room. A figure stood silhouetted in the entranceway.

“Finally,” Akashi said, sounding relieved. “Hopefully it’s a thief. Just give him the necklace – me – and he can be on his way. It’s win-win!”

The girl didn’t say anything as she stared up at the figure before her. However, the figure crouched down and starlight illuminated him. He had jagged jet black hair, once presumably well kept, but now slightly tousled from the snow and wind. He had a strong, chiselled jaw that was thick with stubble, and thin lips resting below a sharp nose. His eyes were cold and murderous beneath furrowed brows, but on seeing Suzushi, they widened in shock.

“You…” he began huskily, only a hint of the surprise etched across his face colouring his tone. “You’re not her.”

Suzushi’s head was swimming. She had only just awoken and suddenly a man was in her face, staring at her inquisitively. “What…” she began sleepily. “Who…what’s going on?”

The man ignored her. Instead, he reached for a lantern that was affixed to the brown belt wrapped around his waist. The lantern was glowing amber and the man tapped in with his finger. “That’s strange. It doesn’t usually lie.”

“What?” Suzushi asked, rising into a sitting position to face the man. Whoever he was, he wasn’t an immediate danger. Still, her hand snaked inside her kimono to rest upon the hilt of her hidden tanto dagger.

The man in the doorway was still fiddling with the lantern, turning it at odd angles and tapping it in random rhythms. Finally, perhaps admitting defeat, he abandoned whatever strange ritual he had been undertaking and turned back to face Suzushi. “Well, it’s never been wrong before,” he spoke simply. “I guess you must be a demon as well.”

“Uh-oh,” Akashi spoke. “I don’t like the sound of this.”

Suzushi ignored him. “Huh? Me? A Demon?”

The man shrugged. “That’s what it says,” he asserted, pointing to the glowing lantern hanging from his ragged black kimono. “A shame though. I hate it when demons are beautiful women. Always makes the job more difficult.”

“I really don’t like the sound of this.”

“Quiet Kyo-chan,” Suzushi muttered to the necklace, before turning to the man before her. “Wait, what? Demons? Beautiful? Am I beautiful? Wait, you did say demons didn’t you?”

The man smiled sympathetically. “There’s no use trying to act all coy and innocent,” he told her, as he reached into his robe. “Don’t worry, it’ll be over soon.”

Pulling out what looked like a short wooden stick from within his kimono, the man tapped Suzushi on the head three times and muttered some strange words she didn’t understand. After a few tense moments, nothing happened and Suzushi merely looked at him blankly.

“This is very strange,” the man mused to himself, examining the wooden stick in the same way as he had just done with the lantern. “You must be a very powerful demon indeed.”

“You know I’m not a demon don’t you?” Suzushi spoke slowly, still very confused at what was going on.

The man flashed her another pitying smile. “You must be a demon,” he told her simply. “Otherwise, why would my lantern be flashing?”

“I don’t know,” Suzushi said incredulously, finally feeling somewhat awake. “Maybe it’s broken. What even is it anyway?”

“It’s a demon tracking device,” the man answered simply. “It flashes when demons are nearby.”

From the necklace, she heard Akashi sigh. “You didn’t figure that out yet? Call yourself an elite agent…”

“Shh!” she tried to get him to quieten down. However, the mysterious man before her overheard.

“Who were you ‘shh’ing?” he asked, sounding slightly concerned.

Suzushi smiled sweetly. “No one, no one!” she tried to reassure him. “So, you’re a demon hunter then?”

Although he still looked wary, the man eventually replied. “Yes I am,” he affirmed. “My name is Ryukei. I’m the finest demon hunter this side of Edo.”

“A pleasure to meet you Ryu-kun,” Suzushi tipped her head slightly in greeting. “My name is Suzushi Yosome.”

Ryukei’s eyes widened. “You’re Suzushi Yosome?” he asked, mouth agape. “Suzushi Yosome the ishin shishi?”

“How do you know that?” Suzushi asked warily. Her occupation wasn’t exactly meant to be common knowledge.

Suddenly Ryukei prostrated himself before her. “My apologies Suzushi-san,” he spoke in deference. “I had no idea it was you. Although we have not met before, I of course know you. You’re in charge of the yokaishuuketsu.”

“The ‘demon gathering’? You kept that quiet,” Akashi spoke bitterly.

Suzushi smiled, somewhat abashed, in response to both of them. “I wouldn’t say I was in charge per se, but I’ve been known to lend a hand…”

Ryukei shook his head at her modesty. “You’re the woman responsible for recruiting yokai to fight for the emperor’s cause. If only I had known, I would never have insulted you so.”

“Come to think of it,” Suzushi spoke slowly, remembering when Ryukei had first burst down the door to the barn. “Who did you think I was at first? You said ‘you’re not her’ didn’t you?”

The demon hunter looked at her blankly for a moment. “Oh!” he cried eventually. “I thought I was tracking someone else. Two people in fact.”

“And these people are?” Suzushi asked, already knowing the answer.

“Well, one was a nun, about your age. The other was a boy, perhaps a bit younger.”

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 36 - 24.2.15

Ooh now we have another hunter on the tracks of Nishina and Shinji. This chapter is just another example of why you truly deserved to finally get first place in a MAARC. Hope we can see more of this Ryukei.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Ooh now we have another hunter on the tracks of Nishina and Shinji. This chapter is just another example of why you truly deserved to finally get first place in a MAARC. Hope we can see more of this Ryukei.
    Thanks Yeah, hopefully this act can answer at least some of the questions that have been hanging over the story for a while. Although not too many

Sorry for the delay as well, I had a busy week and wasn't able to upload 37 on time.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

The Shoreside Suggestion

“Nabari you say?” Suzushi repeated, chewing idly on a piece of roasted fish. The town of Himeji was quiet as the pair of them – with Akashi – strolled around the morning streets. Already, with some financial aid from Ryukei, they had procured some hot food and some new clothes. Although the rather bland grey kimono Suzushi now sported was nowhere near as elegant or refined as she was used to, it would have to do.

“Yes,” Ryukei spoke. They had been speaking of his pursuit of Nishina and the boy. A freelance demon hunter, Ryukei sometimes completed jobs for local daimyo or village heads, but most of the time he wandered freely, following the glowing lantern at his waist. He had arrived in Asahi too late, but had managed to pick up Shinji’s trail at Matsusaka, finally catching them at Nabari. “Unfortunately some thuggish samurai got in the way and they made their escape.”

Suzushi shook her head. “No,” she corrected him. “That’s not unfortunate at all Ryu-kun. The emperor needs that boy. It would have been disastrous had you banished him.”

“My apologies again Suzushi-san,” Ryukei bowed once more. “Had I known you were also seeking him, I would not have dared interfere. However, I hope you understand my motives. I do not fight for any one banner or lord. My only goal in life is to rid the world of demons. There is no way that our two kinds can co-exist. Although you seek to harness their power now, they must be disposed of when they have served their purpose. I hope you will allow me to continue my work then.”

The girl raised an eyebrow. “Continue your work? I’m not stopping you at the moment Ryu-kun. Feel free to continue, just leave the boy for me.”

“But, you don’t know where they are,” Ryukei spoke slyly. “I, on the other hand…”

Suzushi stopped dead in her tracks amidst the shoreside markets of Himeji. “You can help me track the boy? With your lantern?”

Ryukei smiled. “The lantern will certainly be of some help. However, in Nabari, I overheard them speaking. They were heading for Nagasaki. They’re trying to leave Japan.”

Biting her thumb, Suzushi took her time to reply. “So, you’re trying to leave Japan are you Shinji-kun?” she spoke eventually, more to herself than Ryukei or the curiously silent Akashi. “Is that where you’ll still head to, even without your guardian angel…”

“It would be my honour to escort you to Nagasaki, Suzushi-san,” Ryukei spoke. “I’ll help you capture that demon boy.”

Suzushi looked at him curiously. “What’s in it for you Ryu-kun?”

“To travel in the company of such a beautiful woman is all the incentive I need,” Rykuei answered, flashing her a smile.

From the necklace around her neck, Akashi made a strange, barely-audible sound.

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 37 - 1.3.15

Travelling in the company of a beautiful woman my ass, what does this Ryukei really want.

And when are we going to get another Nishina chapter? I demand more Nishina.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Travelling in the company of a beautiful woman my ass, what does this Ryukei really want.

And when are we going to get another Nishina chapter? I demand more Nishina.
    I think you're just determined not to trust me anymore

Nishina? You didn't start thinking she was an important character did you?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitai de Bodemloze View Post
    I think you're just determined not to trust me anymore
    Goodness me, I wonder why that might be...

I liked Nishina, too. (Although I've learnt it's a bad idea to get attached to any character in this story!)

Mind you, I also like the idea of this demon-hunter travelling with Suzushi and Akashi. I'm intrigued to find out whether the - erm - 'malfunction' of his demon-detector causes him any trouble when he needs it to track Shinji. If he lives that long, of course...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh View Post
    Goodness me, I wonder why that might be...

I liked Nishina, too. (Although I've learnt it's a bad idea to get attached to any character in this story!)

Mind you, I also like the idea of this demon-hunter travelling with Suzushi and Akashi. I'm intrigued to find out whether the - erm - 'malfunction' of his demon-detector causes him any trouble when he needs it to track Shinji. If he lives that long, of course...

The format is kind of messy I admit that, jumping between different characters every act, but the actual cast of characters is quite small and overall there's only going to be a dozen or so major characters in this AAR. We've actually met a lot of them already and Acts 3, 4 and 5 will introduce the rest one by one (things get weird in Act 6, 7, 8 and 9, if they weren't weird enough already, but that's definitely when the story is going to get exciting). Although I don't think I'm doing a great job with Act 3, I hope this format gives everyone time to get acquainted with the different characters so that it doesn't get too confusing. It was very much an impromptu decision on my part and my original plan was going to be a lot different. But I got pretty hooked on a new idea and that's the path we're going to follow

I was also meant to update on Tuesday, but I forgot An update tomorrow, I promise!

You know, I didn't mean it as a criticism. I think your format goes really well with the whole "excitement, adventure, and really wild things" overall style. Changing the major characters each act helps (along with the "really wild things") keep us a bit off-balance, but still gives us enough time to decide we like (or dislike) them.

I was really just commenting on the fact that it's become pretty obvious I shouldn't rely on any of this AAR's characters surviving more than an act. Which isn't a bad thing - it adds to the excitement. Or possibly the adventure. And - at least in some cases - it definitely adds to the "really wild things".

It's nice to know some of the characters we've met already will last a bit longer, though, if only because I want to know what happens to the bits of plot that would fall apart if they all died.

Looking forward to the next update (whenever it's convenient for you).